Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fish recipes, especially grilled

I really like to eat fish and want to start grilling it (less clean up) more often. Anyone have any good fish recipes to share?

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    I really like to eat fish and want to start grilling it (less clean up) more often. Anyone have any good fish recipes to share?
    My wife and I eat a lot of seafood. Recipes are not the main factor in having awesome seafood at home.

The most important step is choosing very fresh fish (or shell fish). Do that right, everything else falls into place. Of course, we prefer sashimi for tuna and salmon - and pan searing white fish like grouper, trigger, snapper or mahi. Simple is better. Less is more.

Now grilling fish directly on the grates is difficult. If you want to cook it outside for the clean up, I'd recommend using the grill like an oven, with heavy duty foil on the grill surface - or to wrap the fish with the seasonings. This is good to keep moisture, but you won't get any sear this way.

OR: use a sautee pan on the grill, and pan sear the fish. In either application, olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon and maybe some butter is all you really need. Do not over cook. The difference between pan sear and sautee is just a few degrees of heat...what we really do is sear it for a minute then back the heat down. Use a little olive oil and butter, and let it brown itself before putting the fish in. Awesome toasty taste when you do that.

That's my .02 - looking forward to seeing other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    My wife and I eat a lot of seafood. Recipes are not the main factor in having awesome seafood at home.

The most important step is choosing very fresh fish (or shell fish). Do that right, everything else falls into place. Of course, we prefer sashimi for tuna and salmon - and pan searing white fish like grouper, trigger, snapper or mahi. Simple is better. Less is more.

Now grilling fish directly on the grates is difficult. If you want to cook it outside for the clean up, I'd recommend using the grill like an oven, with heavy duty foil on the grill surface - or to wrap the fish with the seasonings. This is good to keep moisture, but you won't get any sear this way.

OR: use a sautee pan on the grill, and pan sear the fish. In either application, olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon and maybe some butter is all you really need. Do not over cook. The difference between pan sear and sautee is just a few degrees of heat...what we really do is sear it for a minute then back the heat down. Use a little olive oil and butter, and let it brown itself before putting the fish in. Awesome toasty taste when you do that.

That's my .02 - looking forward to seeing other ideas.
    Was going to make some of the same points:

1. Get the freshest and best-looking fish in the market. Start there.

2. It can often be as simple as olive oil, light sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

3. I grow herbs, so often just add something chopped. What herb usually depends on what side I am preparing.

4. Grill: I tend to use a flipable cage on top of the grill, or foil, because the fish tends to fall apart or stick to the grate. If doing it directly on the grate, make sure it is really hot and oiled. Salmon on a cedar plank is also good, and avoids the sticking problem.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Was going to make some of the same points:

1. Get the freshest and best-looking fish in the market. Start there.

2. It can often be as simple as olive oil, light sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

3. I grow herbs, so often just add something chopped. What herb usually depends on what side I am preparing.

4. Grill: I tend to use a flipable cage on top of the grill, or foil, because the fish tends to fall apart or stick to the grate. If doing it directly on the grate, make sure it is really hot and oiled. Salmon on a cedar plank is also good, and avoids the sticking problem.
    There is wisdom in the outdoor cooking of fish. I just read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential for the first time. He described a summer living as teenager with extended family in Bordeaux near the coast. All the houses had two kitchens -- the outdoor one for cooking fish.

Grilling fish for us is larger fish like salmon or steaks. Our new grill, however, has invertible grilling surfaces, with one quite thin, which is supposed to keep fish from falling apart.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

the better the seafood, the less you need to do to it.

My wife is a Filipina so she cooks and eats a lot of fish. I agree with those recommending the use of aluminum foil when grilling. As for herbs, try lemongrass. I grow it in my garden.
    Bob Green

We grill fish often. Last year I bought some of those copper mats and they work great for salmon, swordfish, tuna or even flounder. Grilling veggies is also much easier on them. On salmon, which we had 10 pounds shipped home (frozen) from Ketchikan, Alaska last month, I sprinkle it with Montreal Steak Seasoning.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Get your freshest local catch, hot grill, lemon, butter, salt pepper.

Best way to cook 90% of fish

Not grilling, but my go to is: best fish I can get, as noted above; olive oil, salt and pepper; pan sear to get a nice crisp texture, and finish in the oven.

Fish is so delicate, I could never get close to similar results on the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Not grilling, but my go to is: best fish I can get, as noted above; olive oil, salt and pepper; pan sear to get a nice crisp texture, and finish in the oven.

Fish is so delicate, I could never get close to similar results on the grill.
    Get a copper mat. It’s a lot like pan searing on a nonstick pan. Only on the grill!

9F 9F 9F

Having fresh fish is the most important part. 99% of the fish I cook is fish I have caught myself. I will occasionally buy swordfish as I really like it and can't catch that here. I have a bunch of ways to cook fish.

For white fish like flounder or cod, the simplest way is to soak it in milk for 15 minutes or more. Make up a plate of flour and season it with salt/pepper and/or a seasoning you prefer. Take the fish out of the milk and shake off the excess, then dip it in the seasoned flour and saute in a pan with some kind of fat on medium high. You can use canola oil, olive oil and/or butter as you wish. Important thing is to cook total time of 10 minutes per inch of thickness of the fish and no more. So if it's a half inch thick, 2 to 2.5 minutes per side.

For salmon, what I usually do is have skin on fillets and just lay them on the hot grill. Paint the top of the salmon with pesto sauce (Costco brand one is really good for this) and grill for 10 minutes per inch of thickness. When done, get your spatula and slide it it under the meat, but above the skin and scoop it off the grill and onto a plate. The skin acts like a little frying pan.

If the salmon is on the thicker side, it's best to have a lid that can close. My grill doesn't have a cover, so I'll put a foil lasagna pan over the top of the fish to act like a lid. Hoisin sauce also works well for this.

This recipe below is an impressive one and not that hard:

Almond (or Macadamia) crusted Halibut
    Ingredients:

Sauce:
    2 T cooking oil, peanut if you have it
    2 T. Red curry paste (Mae Ploy brand is the best)
    19 oz. can coconut milk

Fish:
    Fresh caught halibut - filleted and skinned and cut into serving size pieces,
    preferable between 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. 6 or 8 pieces

~1 cup flour
    ~1 cup almond meal (available at Trader Joe's) finely chopped macadamias or almonds also work
    2 eggs
    1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon powdered red pepper such as cayenne or ancho
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter - or canola oil spray for low fat version

Finishing:
    Mango chutney
    Chopped Cilantro

To make the sauce:

Heat a large saucepan over med-hi heat and place the oil in the pan. Add red curry paste and stir for a minute to combine with oil. Add coconut milk, stirring to distribute the curry paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer to thicken and reduce by half, about 25 minutes. Stir occasionally while you work on the fish.

To prepare the fish:
    Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, either with butter or cooking spray. If you will be using butter later on, use a pan with sides such as a jelly roll pan, to contain any runoff.

Get out three shallow bowls. Put the flour in one. Put the red pepper in the 2nd and scramble the eggs with the pepper. In the 3rd bowl, put the almond meal. If using chopped nuts, you might want to add some panko or plain bread crumbs to help it bind to the fish.

Dip the fillets into the flour, then the egg, last the almond meal. Be sure to completely coat the fish each time to seal it all up. Place on the baking sheet. Don't crowd them together in the pan.

If using butter, drizzle 1 tablespoon butter over each fillet. If using canola oil spray, lightly spray the fillet. (This is so it will brown better).

Bake 10-15 minutes until just done. General rule is 10 minutes per inch of thickness of the fillets.

To finish:
    Spoon a few tablespoons of the curry sauce onto the plate. Place the fillet on the sauce, then top with some chutney and a little chopped cilantro.

Last time I served it with potato salad and bean/corn salad because I was short of time. White rice is a good accompaniment because of the sauce.

Big Wayne your halibut recipe looks really good...but on the salmon? I don't let my salmon near anything warm. Buy it sashimi grade, sharpen the starch out of your knives, slice sashimi / saki don style. Side of real sushi rice. Real fresh wasabi relish (not the fake paste)....

Big Wayne your halibut recipe looks really good...but on the salmon? I don't let my salmon near anything warm. Buy it sashimi grade, sharpen the starch out of your knives, slice sashimi / saki don style. Side of real sushi rice. Real fresh wasabi relish (not the fake paste)...
    I like my fish fully cooked. Period.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I like my salmon either fully cooked or very close to it. Tuna is pretty good seared.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Big Wayne your halibut recipe looks really good...but on the salmon? I don't let my salmon near anything warm. Buy it sashimi grade, sharpen the starch out of your knives, slice sashimi / saki don style. Side of real sushi rice. Real fresh wasabi relish (not the fake paste)...
    I have eaten raw salmon we have caught as sashimi and not had any ill effects. Salmon is known to have parasites however and I have been warned to freeze it first to kill them. Either 15 hours in a commercial freezer or 7 days in a residential one.

We definitely do sashimi on any yellowtail or tunas we catch.

I only eat wild salmon. If we have a bad season here, I have had to resort to buying the sockeye salmon Costco gets in late summer. That is the best retail salmon I have ever seen.

Haven't had to buy any this summer.

...and Im gonna bet you've never had it any other way...

...and Im gonna bet you've never had it any other way...
    And I have no plans for that to change!

9F 9F 9F

Cousin Pete came to town and brought me some Alaskan King Salmon from Pelican, including some coveted White King Salmon (mutation) which is even richer in taste. Bueno!

And I have no plans for that to change!
    To each their own when it comes to food; however, raw tuna is delicious so you do not know what you're missing. Perhaps my perspective is influenced by the 17+ years I lived in Japan.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    To each their own when it comes to food; however, raw tuna is delicious so you do not know what you're missing. Perhaps my perspective is influenced by the 17+ years I lived in Japan.
    You are right Bob...it is each to their own...but many people do get set in their ways and miss out...period. If you've never tried something, you don't have an opinion. You have a prejudice.

I too used to joke about sushi, calling it "bait" and so on...that was the 80s. So I understand the prejudice against raw fish. But then I started grilling tuna medium rare...and salmon medium rare...then tip toed into sushi...and now I'm a full fledged sashimi-aholic...a purest for raw fish with quite a developed palate actually.

I love good seafood prepared almost any way...baked, grilled, fried, tempura fried, quick seared, pan seared, etc. But the best way is not cooked at all. I had to overcome my own pre-existing thinking on this to even try it, and man am I glad I did.