Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WFU asst. basketball coach arrested for assault

Jamill Jones turned himself in and is charged with assault. The victim later died so the charges may change. I had followed the news of this crime, and while pleased they've found the guy, am astonished by this.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/09/wake-f...ck-on-tourist/

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Jamill Jones turned himself in and is charged with assault. The victim later died so the charges may change. I had followed the news of this crime, and while pleased they've found the guy, am astonished by this.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/09/wake-f...ck-on-tourist/
    And this is why Dean Wormer's words to Flounder still resonate today...and I'm not talking about the Wake Forest coach.

I know this is serious, but is anyone else amused at how the link was shorthanded/abbreviated?

Involuntary manslaughter.

A man is banging on your car. Ask him to stop. Now you have ruined your life because you are unable to control your temper.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Involuntary manslaughter.

A man is banging on your car. Ask him to stop. Now you have ruined your life because you are unable to control your temper.
    A drunk man. Who punched the first person who tried to get him to stop banging on cars. Seems reasonable to be defensive when attempting to be the second person to try to stop him from banging on your family's car.

Sad. But interested to hear how this works out.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    A drunk man. Who punched the first person who tried to get him to stop banging on cars. Seems reasonable to be defensive when attempting to be the second person to try to stop him from banging on your family's car.

Some sympathy for Coach Jones.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Obvious, but: everything will turn on the specific facts.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Obvious, but: everything will turn on the specific facts.
    I am surprised there isn't video of the punches. All we see is the coach walking away. Testimony from the first man who was punched will be critical.

Punching somebody so hard they smash their head on pavement and die shortly afterward doesn’t ever seem “reasonable” to me. Victim was 35 and at his stepsisters wedding just tragic.

Some further information on the case(not much more):

https://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...edbf25a98.html
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Punching somebody so hard they smash their head on pavement and die shortly afterward doesn’t ever seem “reasonable” to me. Victim was 35 and at his stepsisters wedding just tragic.
    Well I don't think we should assume direct causality 100% here based on the force of the punch. The punch was what it was, but what other factors were there that caused the collision between head and pavement to be so violent? The vic clearly had impaired balance. Was there something else to trip over? etc. Did the vic had some prior head trauma that left him vulnerable. Not defending anything here, just saying that there is not necessarily direct 100% causation between the force of fist hitting head and then the force of the head hitting ground. There may be...but we don't have the info to make that judgment yet.

I’ve seen John Wayne do that many many times

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    I’ve seen John Wayne do that many many times
    I saw Mongo deck a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Well I don't think we should assume direct causality 100% here based on the force of the punch. The punch was what it was, but what other factors were there that caused the collision between head and pavement to be so violent? The vic clearly had impaired balance. Was there something else to trip over? etc. Did the vic had some prior head trauma that left him vulnerable. Not defending anything here, just saying that there is not necessarily direct 100% causation between the force of fist hitting head and then the force of the head hitting ground. There may be...but we don't have the info to make that judgment yet.
    If somebody aggressively shoves somebody causing them to trip on a rock and then they hit their head and die, from a legal standpoint, did the shove cause the death? I honestly don't know, but I'd think involuntary manslaughter is possible. Lawyers on the board I'm sure could provide more details. The theotetical shove I mentioned above clearly didn't cause the death directly, but it did indirectly.

Based on what little facts we know, seems clear that he didn't intend to kill the victim and was responding to aggression on the victim's part too, but I don't know if that changes the legal situation all that much besides the "intent" part. You can accidentally hurt somebody but that doesn't mean it wasn't your fault.

Just a sad situation all around for everybody involved...

Once again proves the old adage that nothing good happens out after midnight. Sadly folks don't seem to learn the damn lesson that the later your out the more chances for bad things to occur. This is just a tragic story for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    If somebody aggressively shoves somebody causing them to trip on a rock and then they hit their head and die, from a legal standpoint, did the shove cause the death? I honestly don't know, but I'd think involuntary manslaughter is possible. Lawyers on the board I'm sure could provide more details. The theotetical shove I mentioned above clearly didn't cause the death directly, but it did indirectly.

Based on what little facts we know, seems clear that he didn't intend to kill the victim and was responding to aggression on the victim's part too, but I don't know if that changes the legal situation all that much besides the "intent" part. You can accidentally hurt somebody but that doesn't mean it wasn't your fault.

Just a sad situation all around for everybody involved...
    You would be the legal cause of the death. (And the tort).

Whether it is murder or manslaughter is a matter of intent (malice aforethought).

I think. It's been 30 years since crim law.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You would be the legal cause of the death. (And the tort).

Whether it is murder or manslaughter is a matter of intent (malice aforethought).

I think. It's been 30 years since crim law.
    What if it's ruled self defense?

Is it clear that he didn't say something to the man before decking him? The articles don't really give any eye-witness accounts (unless I seriously missed something), just a general summary of events. As sympathetic as the friends/coworkers of the man come off, hard for me to feel too bad about it given that he was behaving violently and may well have been dangerous (that does not necessarily mean that Jones wouldn't be convicted of manslaughter, but would probably impact sentencing if he is).

He should have done it here in Florida. We have the "Stand Your Ground" law. But I honestly don't know if it covers fists.

That’s the thing: we do not know what actually happened between the two, so have no idea what was or was not reasonable. And I bet we won’t get many more details until the trial (assuming there is one).

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Once again proves the old adage that nothing good happens out after midnight. Sadly folks don't seem to learn the damn lesson that the later your out the more chances for bad things to occur. This is just a tragic story for all involved.
    Yea, a corollary to that is what my late father used to tell me: "nothing good ever happens when you're drunk".