Thread: The Ocho

The Ocho

Anyone else catching the craziness on ESPN2? No kidding... the 2018 World Dodgeball Cup is on right now. Can’t tell if it’s live from MSG but they have the requisite Australian accented announcer as the color man and some schmo actually trying to comment on strategy. Absolute hilarity.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Anyone else catching the craziness on ESPN2? No kidding... the 2018 World Dodgeball Cup is on right now. Can’t tell if it’s live from MSG but they have the requisite Australian accented announcer as the color man and some schmo actually trying to comment on strategy. Absolute hilarity.
    I’m in a bar, and I see volleyball played with feet. Then, dodgeball with juggling. Really.

Obscure Sports Quarterly didn’t prepare me for this,

ESPN is literally broadcasting the Ocho!

In addition to Dodgeball, there will be Chess-Boxing and Headis - Soccer-heading a big Nerf ball at your opponent on a pingpong table

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...ted-guide-ocho

projecting into the distant future, perhaps with all the cord cutting, ESPN returns to its 1980s roots of showing Australian Rules Football, slow pitch softball and the like. Maybe disc golf, too!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    projecting into the distant future, perhaps with all the cord cutting, ESPN returns to its 1980s roots of showing Australian Rules Football, slow pitch softball and the like. Maybe disc golf, too!
    I used to like when they showed hurling. I don't think I'd ever become a full on fan, but in limited doses that game is pretty fun to watch.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I used to like when they showed hurling. I don't think I'd ever become a full on fan, but in limited doses that game is pretty fun to watch.
    When I was at Duke, you didn't need ESPN to see hurling - you could see it most weekend nights all over campus, most often in fraternity bathrooms but often elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    When I was at Duke, you didn't need ESPN to see hurling - you could see it most weekend nights all over campus, most often in fraternity bathrooms but often elsewhere...
    Oh, rest assured, we ladies did our fair share of buddy hair-holding back in the ladies rest rooms.

My new dumb fav on espn is the cornhole championship. I mean, come on.

Soccer heading a big Nerf ball across a ping pong table?! Heckfire, we were doing that at the beach last month!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’m in a bar, and I see volleyball played with feet. Then, dodgeball with juggling. Really.

Obscure Sports Quarterly didn’t prepare me for this,
    Last evening, I was at the gym watching the Red Sox while I was on a treadmill. The inning ended and I switched channels to ESPN2 only to behold a bunch of guys attempting to juggle while being pelted by dodgeballs.

I suspect that the powers-that-be who run MLB would not be particularly pleased to know that I never even considered switching back to the baseball game.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Oh, rest assured, we ladies did our fair share of buddy hair-holding back in the ladies rest rooms.

My new dumb fav on espn is the cornhole championship. I mean, come on.

Soccer heading a big Nerf ball across a ping pong table?! Heckfire, we were doing that at the beach last month!
    I watched a little of that earlier this summer. There was like 8 people there in all the stands they had set up. The announcers were my age and I wondered what they must feel like after "working" that event and couldn't help but wonder how much it paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    SVP had highlights of it on his show last night. Probably a minute total. Seemed like enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I have Australian footy recording on my DVR every week. I have no idea what channel it comes on. Usually one a week shows up, but sometimes I get two. When the playoffs start, it's two each week. For some reason, the big final game usually doesn't show up though.

From what I remember watching back in the early 80s, the level of play now is far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    ... I switched channels to ESPN2 only to behold a bunch of guys attempting to juggle while being pelted by dodgeballs...
    Wow, that sounds great! Any time there is "pelting" in the description, that's got to be a sure fire winning mix. Next beach trip for sure...I've always wanted to learn how to juggle.

I've got a suggestion for espn: in the olden days my husband and his brothers played a game called "Kill Tennis" when the object was to constantly hit your opponent with intense force.

It was fun to watch!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    SVP had highlights of it on his show last night. Probably a minute total. Seemed like enough for me.

I have Australian footy recording on my DVR every week. I have no idea what channel it comes on. Usually one a week shows up, but sometimes I get two. When the playoffs start, it's two each week. For some reason, the big final game usually doesn't show up though.

From what I remember watching back in the early 80s, the level of play now is far superior.
    Far superior to when we watched back in the day. I have a signed ball by Hawthorn from 1986. Ball is only half deflated after 32 years, red ball a tad bigger than a football. I remember the refs looking like Mario or Luigi from the Nintendo games and one slash down with the arm was less points than two slashes down. Fun stuff that I always thought was tape delayed but it was technically from the future due to the time change from the US to Australia. I now feel uber old.

I watched the Headis coverage on a tv attached to a treadmill at the Four Seasons hotel in Istanbul, Turkey. It was pretty spectacular. That said, I felt like I was in a Wes Anderson movie.

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    Far superior to when we watched back in the day. I have a signed ball by Hawthorn from 1986. Ball is only half deflated after 32 years, red ball a tad bigger than a football. I remember the refs looking like Mario or Luigi from the Nintendo games and one slash down with the arm was less points than two slashes down. Fun stuff that I always thought was tape delayed but it was technically from the future due to the time change from the US to Australia. I now feel uber old.
    This is what you are remembering:

Hand signals still the same today. One hand slash down for a "behind" = 1 point and two hands for a "goal" worth 6 points.
    They still wave the flags around after the hand signals also, but the outfits are more modernized now.