Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Taking Suggestions For Top 25 Duke Men's Basketball Moments Book

Hello everyone,

I'm helping with research for two different books.

1. The Top 25 Moment's in Duke Men's Basketball History
    2. The Top 25 Moment's in Duke Football History

While I am doing research on my own, I really want to get your takes on this as well. Which championship moment was the best? Which great games are underrated? How do the great moments from the past (ex: from Dick Groat, Art Heyman etc.) compare to the great moments of recent history?

Here's what will probably be most helpful now:

a) Any lists (doesn't have to be long, maybe even 5-10). Some explanation would be great.
    b) Introducing great moments that other people might not have mentioned. (Ex: Danny Ferry's 58 pt. game, or the 1979 Carolina game where the Cameron Crazies introduced the "Airball" chant.) Any links or explanation would also be much appreciated.
    c) Any debate is welcome.

Once we get a general list, I'll see if I can put together a poll or means of ranking a lot of the top moments.

*These moments don't necessarily have to be games. One example could be something like "The Hiring of Coach K"*

While I assume that most of this thread will be about basketball, I'd love any football suggestions that I can get. If anyone knows a better message board for football, please let me know.

Looking forward to seeing where this thread goes!

A couple super quick thoughts. No surprises...

The Shot
    Gone in 60 Seconds
    Heyman/Brown brawl
    Duke-UNLV
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Wow, this sounds like a cool project!

Off the top of my head, here are some moments that will always stick with me, in no particular order:

1) The Coach K-Wojo hug at the end of the 1998 UNC-Duke game
    2) Gordon Hayward's shot rimming out and Duke winning the 2010 National Championship (and that team representing the end of the pre-one-and-done era for Duke basketball)
    3) Gone in 60 Seconds
    4) "F@#% You JJ" - the fan hatred of JJ Redick in particular and Duke in general (footnote: Grayson Allen) (second footnote: no pun intended in the use of the term footnote in reference to Grayson)
    5) The 1990 Duke-UNLV National Championship game: Duke was sort of like the Buffalo Bills at the time, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. The low point of getting blown out of the Title Game marked an end of Duke as an underdog in the sport.
    6) Coach K turning down the LA Lakers

"The Dagger" by Austin Rivers vs. UNC.

The theft of the Navy goat the night before Duke upset #4 Navy in November 1960.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The Austin Rivers shot to crush the hole over there. With the team collapsing onto him on the state logo at the middle of their sorry court.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The theft of the Navy goat the night before Duke upset #4 Navy in November 1960.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJwdxwSQD3s

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    And another: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...ight=memorable

Heck, using this forum, you could even track how our evaluation of the best / most memorable moments have changed over time.

EDIT: Here's a thread on the top wins in the Cutcliffe Era, and here's another on Coach K's top wins.
    Last edited by Truth&Justise; 08-07-2018 at 07:07 PM.

The Shot? Bobby Hurley’s three against UNLV. I cannot think of a bigger shot in Duke history.

Championship game performance: Dunleavy’s three straight threes against Arizona. Bang, bang, bang. Nine straight points.

This thread will help too: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...Losses-at-Duke

I am surprised that the DBR Grammar Police have not mentioned this, but you'll probably want to take the apostrophe out of "Moment's" in the titles of your books before publication!
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The Shot? Bobby Hurley’s three against UNLV. I cannot think of a bigger shot in Duke history.

Championship game performance: Dunleavy’s three straight threes against Arizona. Bang, bang, bang. Nine straight points.
    Didn't Grayson get 8 straight points in the Wisconsin's NCAAT game? Maybe a "close" second.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Didn't Grayson get 8 straight points in the Wisconsin's NCAAT game? Maybe a "close" second.
    Yep. A three, an and-one and two free throws, with a steal/drawn foul in between. See both performances below, although neither video is perfect (and both omit the the points scored by the other team in between baskets).

Dunleavy turned a three point lead into a ten point lead.

Grayson turned a nine point deficit into a four point deficit.

Dunleavy:

Carolina delenda est

Grayson (skip forward to around the 1:45 mark):

Carolina delenda est

1.Coach K hives his first introduction press conference and helps people spell his name.

2. Johnny Dawkins commits to Duke

3. K's first FF in 86

4. Duke over UNLV

5. 1st K title

6. Back to back titles

Etc...
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Freedy Lind

No question that the Freddy Lind game - a triple overtime victory over unc - should be on the list

And I would rank it as #1 on the list simply because I was there. Without a doubt it was the loudest, most exhilarating, sporting experience that I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Thank you! Was looking for this one to link to. Excellent for a trip down memory lane.

In my personal viewing history- my top 10

1) Laettner's shot against Kentucky- iconic
    2) Grant's dunk to launch Duke to its first title
    3) Hurley's 3 to bring down undefeated UNLV and revenge the blowout loss in the finals
    4) Jason Williams miracle minute against Maryland
    5) Gene Banks shot over Perkins on senior night to send into overtime and enable K to get his first win against Dean Smith and UNC
    6) River's dagger at the buzzer against UNC
    7) Duhon's coast to coast layup against UNC
    8) Gordan Hayward's miss from 3 quarter court-
    9) Grayson's run in the championship game/Dunleavy's run in the championship game
    10) Johnny's block of David Rivers in Duke's first nationally televised game from Cameron