Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Final 2018 Majors Standings

To put a bow on this thread as we transition to the FedEx cup, here are the final standings for the majors (caveat: this is based on the last summary email from after The Open and the totals from the PGA, so no guarantees I did it right. If I did it right, yay me. If not, yay whoever won (and boo my math). ):

1 CDu $8,932,045
    2 mkirsh $8,766,716
    3 Jason Evans $6,878,682
    4 Tripping William $6,762,946
    5 Bob Green $6,664,742
    6 Mal $6,231,204
    7 mr. synellinden $6,210,298
    8 CameronB&B $5,846,450
    9 killerleft $5,818,590
    10 Rasputin $5,195,387
    11 Rich $4,817,118
    12 cato $4,298,998
    13 elvis14 $4,170,933
    14 tbyers11 $3,886,228
    15 dball $3,477,575
    16 Troublemaker $2,501,975
    17 HouseP $2,326,154
    18 DukieCB $2,282,225
    19 Curtis325 $2,271,369
    20 Rogue $2,102,093
    21 rsvman $2,057,305
    22 dudog84 $1,944,250
    23 left hook lacy $1,761,109
    24 HereBeforeCoachK $1,753,595
    25 jacone21 $1,538,846
    26 gotoguy $1,074,975
    27 nmduke2001 $895,705

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Nice job, and congrats CDu!

This has been a fun diversion, looking forward to next season, and the FedEx Cup.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Nice job, and congrats CDu!

This has been a fun diversion, looking forward to next season, and the FedEx Cup.
    I agree completely; this format is a lot of fun.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I should have added the winners of each major too:

Masters: mkirsh
    US Open: CDu
    The Open: elvis14
    PGA: CameronBornAndBred

And I concur with TW and CB&B: lots of fun and looking forward to the FedEx Cup and next year.

There's a much smaller universe of competitors, but perhaps we can come up with something for the Ryder Cup too.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    There's a much smaller universe of competitors, but perhaps we can come up with something for the Ryder Cup too.
    Something like points won by a player (getting half credit for points in team play) maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To put a bow on this thread as we transition to the FedEx cup, here are the final standings for the majors (caveat: this is based on the last summary email from after The Open and the totals from the PGA, so no guarantees I did it right. If I did it right, yay me. If not, yay whoever won (and boo my math). ):
    Thanks, I'll take my winnings as an annuity.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Thanks, I'll take my winnings as an annuity.
    Wait until you are my age. Never an annuity. Heck, I don't order a large Iced tea!

I agree with excluding the FedEx Cup prize money, but I'm not completely wed to the idea.
    You could count the FedEx Cup prize money if you divided it by 10, all the way down the list. That way, weekly winners would have more than the eventual winner, so that player wouldn't necessarily give us the winner by default.

I haven't participated in the previous competitions, mostly because of timing and not being sure how you run the thing. Please post the complete rules so a newby can participate - I've never done any online fantasy stuff so I'm not familiar with those, either. LGD! GTHc! 9F!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    You could count the FedEx Cup prize money if you divided it by 10, all the way down the list. That way, weekly winners would have more than the eventual winner, so that player wouldn't necessarily give us the winner by default.
    I really like this idea. Gives some added value to picking the overall FedEx Cup winner while not completely devaluing the individual tournaments themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I haven't participated in the previous competitions, mostly because of timing and not being sure how you run the thing. Please post the complete rules so a newby can participate - I've never done any online fantasy stuff so I'm not familiar with those, either. LGD! GTHc! 9F!
    From a mr. synellinden post:

1. You have thirty OWGR "points" to spend on picking a team.
    2. You can pick any player in the field - it's not a draft, so in theory you could have the exact same team as someone else.
    3. You can pick up to 10 players, not more.
    4. Each player's "cost" is their OWGR points total rounded down. So, Dustin Johnson "costs" 10; Brooks Koepka - 10; Justin Thomas - 9; etc. [the exact values will be based on the OWGR prior to the first FedEx Cup event]
    5. Anyone whose OWGR points is less than 2, costs 2. In other words, no player in the field costs less than 2.
    6. Your final score is based on a total of the money won by all the players on your team. If one of your players misses the cut, you get 0 for that player. [This part would be tweaked to include the FedEx Cup payouts/10 as well as individual event purses]
    7. As a tiebreaker, you also pick the winning score relative to par (e.g., -12). [This one probably isn't relevant for this event, but we might have to think of something different. Or combined winning score?]

7. As a tiebreaker, you also pick the winning score relative to par (e.g., -12). [This one probably isn't relevant for this event, but we might have to think of something different. Or combined winning score?]
    With dollars, I can't even begin to imagine that we would need a tiebreaker. Unless someone picks the same identical team to someone else, the dollar amounts are virtually certain to be different.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I really like this idea. Gives some added value to picking the overall FedEx Cup winner while not completely devaluing the individual tournaments themselves.

From a mr. synellinden post:

1. You have thirty OWGR "points" to spend on picking a team.
    2. You can pick any player in the field - it's not a draft, so in theory you could have the exact same team as someone else.
    3. You can pick up to 10 players, not more.
    4. Each player's "cost" is their OWGR points total rounded down. So, Dustin Johnson "costs" 10; Brooks Koepka - 10; Justin Thomas - 9; etc. [the exact values will be based on the OWGR prior to the first FedEx Cup event]
    5. Anyone whose OWGR points is less than 2, costs 2. In other words, no player in the field costs less than 2.
    6. Your final score is based on a total of the money won by all the players on your team. If one of your players misses the cut, you get 0 for that player. [This part would be tweaked to include the FedEx Cup payouts/10 as well as individual event purses]
    This is missing point -1 and point 0:

"-1. Each player has an Official World Golf Ranking. It begins with #1 and goes on to #2,054."
    "0. More importantly for our game, each player has something called "Average Points," with the highest ranking player Dustin Johnson having (as of August 16) an Average Point total of 10.4672 and less highly ranked players fewer points."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I look forward to playing in the future as I missed out so far this year
    Seems like a good game
    A few thoughts from someone thinking this could get bigger

Could the tie breaker be whoever spends the least points on their team even if you had to round back up to break a tie?
    Tiebreaker who gives the most money donation to support DBR?
    Pie as a prize?

Charge a fee to play and Half of fee goes to DBR
    Other half goes to a credit on some Duke merchandise
    And or prize for winner or top 3.

Just a few thoughts as what you are doing is great with no changes but almost anything other than a Christian Laettner
    1992 regional final performance can be improved 😁

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by royalblue View Post

Charge a fee to play and Half of fee goes to DBR
    Other half goes to a credit on some Duke merchandise
    And or prize for winner or top 3.
    As a starving artist, I will email a picture of a painting of money.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

First - a huge thanks to CDu for doing the season long totals. I just haven’t had the time even though I said I would do it earlier this week. And congratulations to CDu - if I recall correctly, you missed the Masters (like your boy Koepka) - so even more impressive.

On the tiebreaker - I’ve been doing this a long time and ties have happened 2 or 3 times - usually when someone relatively obscure wins and only 2 or 3 people picked that guy - and then remember that a bunched up leaderboard results on a lot of players winning the same amount of money so you don’t necessarily have to have the same team to end up in a tie.

Regarding the rules, I like the idea of either not including FedEx prize money or using Ozzie’s idea.

By the way, how about Snedeker shooting a 59 today with a 27 on his back 9?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post

And he bogeyed his opening hole!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    First - a huge thanks to CDu for doing the season long totals. I just haven’t had the time even though I said I would do it earlier this week. And congratulations to CDu - if I recall correctly, you missed the Masters (like your boy Koepka) - so even more impressive.

On the tiebreaker - I’ve been doing this a long time and ties have happened 2 or 3 times - usually when someone relatively obscure wins and only 2 or 3 people picked that guy - and then remember that a bunched up leaderboard results on a lot of players winning the same amount of money so you don’t necessarily have to have the same team to end up in a tie.

Regarding the rules, I like the idea of either not including FedEx prize money or using Ozzie’s idea.

Thanks much! Yeah, I owe my success to Koepka (picked him in both the US and PGA) and Woods (his value in The Open and PGA at 2 points cost helped a good bit). I didn’t pick the winner of The Open (Schauffele finished T2nd). I doubt my luck will continue beyond this point. But it was fun while it lasted!