Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Did you screw up the screw up?
    I surely did...Kendall being the splendid screw up.
    I have often witnessed marvelous, high level backstabbing in the corporate halls, but I'm not sure i've ever seen a better example of rampant frontstabbing...that scene (to determine the sacrificial lamb) was terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I have often witnessed marvelous, high level backstabbing in the corporate halls, but I'm not sure i've ever seen a better example of rampant frontstabbing...that scene (to determine the sacrificial lamb) was terrific.
    I completely agree. IMO, it was one of the best scenes I’ve ever seen.

I propose the family is much higher quality than most give them credit. As you correctly stated, backstabbing is the norm. I believe frontstabbing takes substantial courage, confidence, and class. Granted, the confidence was either unwarranted or Logan finally created his desired “killer”.

I completely agree. IMO, it was one of the best scenes I’ve ever seen.

I propose the family is much higher quality than most give them credit. As you correctly stated, backstabbing is the norm. I believe frontstabbing takes substantial courage, confidence, and class. Granted, the confidence was either unwarranted or Logan finally created his desired “killer”.
    On one hand I thought perhaps Logan might like it if one of the clan simply made the point that he or she deserved to stick around, rather than point out someone else who should go. Then I realized he got to where he was by slitting some throats here and there as needed, so he probably concludes his successor needs to be someone ready and willing to drop the guillotine as required.

I'm not sure who survives, but if I were his kids, I'd be keeping an eye on Logan's wife.

On one hand I thought perhaps Logan might like it if one of the clan simply made the point that he or she deserved to stick around, rather than point out someone else who should go. Then I realized he got to where he was by slitting some throats here and there as needed, so he probably concludes his successor needs to be someone ready and willing to drop the guillotine as required.

I'm not sure who survives, but if I were his kids, I'd be keeping an eye on Logan's wife.
    Yes, I can't believe or imagine for a moment that she's simply disappeared after she so deliciously gobsmacked Rhea Jarrell. That exchange had me howling.

As he nears the end of his life, I understand Logan's urge to get a successor in place to oversee his empire but I've never understood why more billionaire octogenarians don't just piss off to their yacht or personal island. A few years back the company I used to work for experienced a similar situation to what's happening in the show. An activist fund attempted to dislodge the current CEO, install its own board directors, etc all through an aggressive campaign to convince other shareholders to vote for its proposals. It was led by an activist fund helmed by a near-octogenarian and I just couldn't understand why t his guy was still at it. I guess once a worker always a worker and playing the grand game still holds some peoples' interest (check out our current President and several of his Dem candidate rivals). I used to think it was a curse I had such a low eff off point with things but now I think it's blessing. So, yeah, I'm a Connor...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yes, I can't believe or imagine for a moment that she's simply disappeared after she so deliciously gobsmacked Rhea Jarrell. That exchange had me howling.

As he nears the end of his life, I understand Logan's urge to get a successor in place to oversee his empire but I've never understood why more billionaire octogenarians don't just piss off to their yacht or personal island. A few years back the company I used to work for experienced a similar situation to what's happening in the show. An activist fund attempted to dislodge the current CEO, install its own board directors, etc all through an aggressive campaign to convince other shareholders to vote for its proposals. It was led by an activist fund helmed by a near-octogenarian and I just couldn't understand why t his guy was still at it. I guess once a worker always a worker and playing the grand game still holds some peoples' interest (check out our current President and several of his Dem candidate rivals). I used to think it was a curse I had such a low eff off point with things but now I think it's blessing. So, yeah, I'm a Connor...
    yes, I often think about why these guys don't just cash a check for a few billion bucks and head off, but I suppose it's simply not in their nature..they require the glory and action, and don't relish the notion of handing off what they built to someone else...the alpha dog mentality for sure. By the way, the actor who plays Logan Roy (forget his name) has the interview piece on the back page of Time magazine this week...he's loving the role...
    As for Connor, he may have the right idea not to be involved in the company, but money management does not seem to be his forte, having asked Logan for a mere $100 million to stay afloat...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    well done...Tom is such a great character...was surprised to see him recently in something else, he's a Brit for heaven's sake! The preening and groveling for Logan's affections is wonderful...tough to find parallels in my own life...for example I never asked my father for $100 million to get my finances up to snuff...marvelous group scene as they debated who would be the best candidate for Under The Bus duty...splendid stuff.
    Not only is he British - he's played the ultimate British romantic hero.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414387/

Ok, so, am I the only one that thinks it's possible Kendall did what he did at his father's request?

Because of that movie he did with Keira Knightley, I've always thought of Matthew McFadyen as tall but the scenes with Tom and Greg have made me check his height. Google says he's 6' 3". That means Nicholas Braun is a giant! Google says 6' 5". It looks like way more than 2 inches on screen, but, it could be the angles they use to film it. Meanwhile, Brian Cox is 5' 9" and comes across as much shorter on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Ok, so, am I the only one that thinks it's possible Kendall did what he did at his father's request?
    I also proposed that possibility...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey
    Granted, the confidence was either unwarranted or Logan finally created his desired “killer”.

Logan appeared to have a hard time holding back a smile.

When I was starting out in my career, financial independence was a key goal which would enable an early retirement. I would not have hesitated to give my first two bosses (CEOs) my resignation letter. When financial independence was certain (age 50), I was the boss (CEO and Board Member), my Board of Directors fully and constantly supported me, and I no longer felt any need or desire to retire. I've made as much money is the last 5 years as I did in the first 25 years of my career, stressful events seldom bother me anymore, I love what I do, and I'm keeping my brain and body productive. Why retire?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Because of that movie he did with Keira Knightley, I've always thought of Matthew McFadyen as tall but the scenes with Tom and Greg have made me check his height. Google says he's 6' 3". That means Nicholas Braun is a giant! Google says 6' 5". It looks like way more than 2 inches on screen, but, it could be the angles they use to film it. Meanwhile, Brian Cox is 5' 9" and comes across as much shorter on the show.
    Camera angles?

When I was starting out in my career, financial independence was a key goal which would enable an early retirement. I would not have hesitated to give my first two bosses (CEOs) my resignation letter. When financial independence was certain (age 50), I was the boss (CEO and Board Member), my Board of Directors fully and constantly supported me, and I no longer felt any need or desire to retire. I've made as much money is the last 5 years as I did in the first 25 years of my career, stressful events seldom bother me anymore, I love what I do, and I'm keeping my brain and body productive. Why retire?
    But our man Logan doesn't seem to be enjoying himself nearly as much as you, Jeffrey...a heart attack or whatever it was, endless stress from scheming, feckless children...in his particular situation, I'd think his best move would be to cash in, but he, like many of his ilk, thrives on the combat, apparently.

But our man Logan doesn't seem to be enjoying himself nearly as much as you, Jeffrey...a heart attack or whatever it was, endless stress from scheming, feckless children...in his particular situation, I'd think his best move would be to cash in, but he, like many of his ilk, thrives on the combat, apparently.
    As usual, you make a very good point. Upon reflection, it’s definitely an apples & oranges work environment comparison and extremely different dollar levels!

Sorry, I’m probably subconsciously asking myself why I continue to work?

I feel confident your story would make a good book.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I feel confident your story would make a good book.
    It would probably be labeled fiction, especially, if it started with my abusive childhood and the fact I basically did not attend 11th or 12th grade. One way or another, the darkness had to give.

Oh, if you're happy, healthy, and wealthy in your profession and don't feel your time commitment is interfering with your ability to do other things in life you want to do then godspeed, work until you drop! I've had plenty of good jobs I didn't mind, some I even enjoyed, but I've never had an issue with imagining alternative uses of my time. I've also seen my fair share of wealthy professionals kick the bucket within a year of retirement or while they were on the job because work came before all else. Me? I took 3 lengthy sabbaticals before 40!

Anyway, that's more of a "how do you want to spend your days" philosophical argument. With Logan Roy though, we see him have a stroke, wander around his office urinating, losing his memory, etc but he can't let go. It's classic Founder's Syndrome or, in pro-sports, the aging star (Brett Favre is a good example) problem. Logan's a killer but he's not a rational businessman. If he was, he would have instituted a succession policy long, long before he hit 80 and started having heart problems.

As a side, I really hope I make it long enough to see what happens with Zuckerburg and Facebook as he ages. As I'm sure you know, when FB went public, they arranged the share structure such that Zuck retrained a slight majority voting share. That might have seemed great at the time but 0 chance that doesn't become a big time issue at some point!

Anyway, that's more of a "how do you want to spend your days" philosophical argument. With Logan Roy though, we see him have a stroke, wander around his office urinating, losing his memory, etc but he can't let go. It's classic Founder's Syndrome or, in pro-sports, the aging star (Brett Favre is a good example) problem. Logan's a killer but he's not a rational businessman. If he was, he would have instituted a succession policy long, long before he hit 80 and started having heart problems.
    My apologies, I became self-absorbed with my situation and lack of a succession plan.

Upon reflection, I completely agree, Logan is very late on formulating his plan. I’m close to two billionaires who have created almost exactly opposite succession plans by their early 60’s. One is grooming his three children to take over everything, minimize estate taxes, and maximize the long-term empire value. The other is not grooming any of his three children and giving every penny away. He has made no effort to create a career for any of his children.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Camera angles?
    Yes, I thought of that.

My apologies, I became self-absorbed with my situation and lack of a succession plan.

Upon reflection, I completely agree, Logan is very late on formulating his plan. I’m close to two billionaires who have created almost exactly opposite succession plans by their early 60’s. One is grooming his three children to take over everything, minimize estate taxes, and maximize the long-term empire value. The other is not grooming any of his three children and giving every penny away. He has made no effort to create a career for any of his children.
    Well, if you're having Succession-level problems, then Succession-level solutions are the cure. An aggressive acquisition spree is probably just the thing, at least it was for Logan in Season 2. Perhaps the next time DBR mods ding you, you just buy the site and make all of them play "boar on the floor"!

...Perhaps the next time DBR mods ding you, you just buy the site and make all of them play "boar on the floor"!

I'm reminded of the big inflatable slide into the Aegean. That would work, too.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'