Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, if you can get a guy reasonably open, why not give it a try? But that's been the hard part for this WR group, getting separation. If we can't do that, we should go to more two (or three) tight end sets as we did late in the season...if separation is an issue, throw to a 6-4, 245 lb guy like Koppenhaver, Helm and Gray..we simply (at least until now) have a lot more TE talent than WR talent...hopefully the WRs improve.
    I also like the idea of multiple tight ends...Steve Logan said last year that Duke's offense was much better with two TE alignment, running and passing. FWIW...Logan knows offense.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I also like the idea of multiple tight ends...Steve Logan said last year that Duke's offense was much better with two TE alignment, running and passing. FWIW...Logan knows offense.
    We have unusual depth at TE, and a WR group (up to this point) that has not distinguished itself. Koppenhaver, Helm and Gray are all guys who can catch the ball, and Marwede and Birmingham seem to be terrific talents as well...there just seems to be no point to repeatedly throwing to guys who aren't open as we did last year during The Skid. New year, new WR coach, hopefully we find guys who can catch the ball, be they WRs or TEs.

Quote Originally Posted by swiseman View Post
    I'm looking forward to Saturday night's scrimmage. It's the best chance for a beat writer to assess where the team is up and down the depth chart.
    Are any details available on tonight's scrimmage such as how many plays? What time? I'm looking forward to hearing reports from the media members who attend.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Are any details available on tonight's scrimmage such as how many plays? What time? I'm looking forward to hearing reports from the media members who attend.
    The biggest question is location. It rains every afternoon at six, so there's a good chance it moves inside, which is sub-optimal. But better than scrimmaging in a thunderstorm.

But Duke tends to keep these things situational.

Speaking of tonight's (okay, last night's at this point) scrimmage, I highly recommend checking out the video on WRAL's website of Cut's meeting with the press afterwards. It's a little more than 8 mins long and very informative. It sounds like he was pretty pleased with the offense which was reassuring to hear...especially after his comments earlier in regard to the receivers and QBs needing to be on the same page. In short, freshmen WR Jake Bobo and Marvin Hubbard were impressive. In particular, I'm really excited about the prospect of 6'4" Bobo being able to contribute his first season in a Blue Devil uniform. Cut said he's got good hands and is a playmaker (okay, the latter may be a cliche but we can definitely use a wide receiver with the former.)

Of course, the defense can't be overlooked as will hopefully be (consistently) proven this upcoming season. Coach Cut singled out (no surprise) Mark Gilbert who had an INT. I've got to say, I'm not sure how much more excited I can be about the Army game. Tickets bought...wife(!) and both sons going...televised night game...yeah, I'm ready .

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The biggest question is location. It rains every afternoon at six, so there's a good chance it moves inside, which is sub-optimal. But better than scrimmaging in a thunderstorm.

But Duke tends to keep these things situational.
    Jim - Great summary of the scrimmage on the front page. Much appreciated. Very surprised McSwain was moved to offensive line. I think that says a lot about our depth on the defensive line. Regarding the passing offense, it’s great to hear, but we’ll see when the real lights go on. I love what I heard, but we’ll see. It would be great if Bobo is ready to step in right away. A 6’4” receiver with hands, toughness and an ability to make plays sounds like what the doctor ordered. Sounds like we have the pieces/depth to challenge for the Coastal. Can’t wait for the Army opener.

One caveat to my excitement above is that it sounds like you are not confident in any of the backup quarterbacks. Hopefully we don’t have to find out if any are ready to step in.

Thanks again.

Several interesting comments in Jim's scrimmage recap with this one standing out to me:

There’s no question that Duke not only has ACC-level talent but next-level talent and quality depth across the board.
    Football season is long and depth is critical when injuries take place. Not if, when.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Jim - Great summary of the scrimmage on the front page. Much appreciated. Very surprised McSwain was moved to offensive line. I think that says a lot about our depth on the defensive line. Regarding the passing offense, it’s great to hear, but we’ll see when the real lights go on. I love what I heard, but we’ll see. It would be great if Bobo is ready to step in right away. A 6’4” receiver with hands, toughness and an ability to make plays sounds like what the doctor ordered. Sounds like we have the pieces/depth to challenge for the Coastal. Can’t wait for the Army opener.

One caveat to my excitement above is that it sounds like you are not confident in any of the backup quarterbacks. Hopefully we don’t have to find out if any are ready to step in.

Thanks again.
    Several interesting comments in Jim's scrimmage recap with this one standing out to me:

Football season is long and depth is critical when injuries take place. Not if, when.
    Thanks Jim for an excellent report, and thank y’all for letting me know it’s on the front page. I forget to look more often than not.

From GoDuke -
    "Placekickers Collin Wareham and AJ Reed combined to make all nine of their field goal attempts. Wareham, working with the first unit, was successful from 23, 31, 32, 39, 40 and 45 yards while Reed connected from 36, 37 and 46 yards away."

Promising.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Great summary of the scrimmage, Jim. Totally worth a read and a re-read. Thanks!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    From GoDuke -
    "Placekickers Collin Wareham and AJ Reed combined to make all nine of their field goal attempts. Wareham, working with the first unit, was successful from 23, 31, 32, 39, 40 and 45 yards while Reed connected from 36, 37 and 46 yards away."

Promising.
    Nice!!!

Jim, i/r/t Jake Bobo:

Bobo had four catches, for 93 yards, mostly tough, contested catches in traffic.

Cutcliffe said he wanted more receivers who could win “hand-to-hand-combat” with defensive backs and Bobo is that guy and more.

Not only will Bobo be in the wide-receiver rotation, he could easily start.

He was that impressive.
    Was he with the 1s against the 2 defense or with the 2s against the 1 defense when he made his catches? Either way is impressive. I'm just trying to get a feel for how close Bobo is to cracking the starting line-up.
    Bob Green

great info, thanks Jim---31st not here yet !

Great to read your report, Jim. With you and Steve W as insiders reporting here, it almost feels like we’re there watching ourselves! LGD GTHc.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Excellent article on the scrimmage, Jim; as always, thanks for providing your insight and observations.

From GoDuke -
    Promising.
    Nice!!!
    Yes...let's hope this bodes well! With all the positive news re:the scrimmage from Jim and Coach Cut himself, it's hard for us fans to not be overly optimistic. Wait, is that even possible? Paging DBR's resident (and eternal) optimist! .

Wasn't Steve Wiseman at the game? I kinda expected to see an article from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    Wasn't Steve Wiseman at the game? I kinda expected to see an article from him.
    I certainly was. Here is the link with my words and Chuck Liddy's photos. We'll add some video interviews once they are processed too

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...215765670.html

Thanks for the link, Steve. No mention of receivers Scott Bracey and Aaron Young from either you or Jim. Did they play?
    Bob Green

Thanks for the link, Steve. No mention of receivers Scott Bracey and Aaron Young from either you or Jim. Did they play?
    Yes. They played. That's it. Nothing special. Young was with first team O on some plays. Bracey with the reserves.

Elsewhere in the receiving corps, Keyston Fuller caught a touchdown pass from Harris but drew a penalty for taunting/excessive celebration on his way to the end zone. He later muffed a punt return. Two steps forward, three steps back.

Really disappointing re Bracey.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide