Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Here is a Shaun Wilson article discussing the impression he is making on the Tampa Bay Bucs coaching staff:

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/...n-on-the-bucs/

"He's small in height, but he's got really good quickness,'' said Bucs coach Dirk Koetter. "Really good vision. He can burst and he's smart. There's been plenty of short in stature running backs have success in the NFL. I think he's somewhere between 185 and 190 weight wise. He's got some leverage when he tries to run with power and he can make guys miss."
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Here is a Shaun Wilson article discussing the impression he is making on the Tampa Bay Bucs coaching staff:

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/...n-on-the-bucs/
    Players in Wilson's position usually carve out a roster spot via special teams. At the very least, I think he could help an NFL team as a kick-off returner.

Assuming the NFL still has kickoffs.

As a Redskins fan, I'm looking forward to another awesome season of Jamison Crowder; I'd like to see him get back to the level of productivity he had in the 2016-2017 season. He's a very talented player.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    As a Redskins fan, I'm looking forward to another awesome season of Jamison Crowder; I'd like to see him get back to the level of productivity he had in the 2016-2017 season. He's a very talented player.
    I think he fits really well with Alex Smith, I'm expecting at least somewhat of a bounce back.

Shaun Wilson gets more ink leading up to tonight's preseason game:

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/5-bu...-against-miami

He’s a good between-the-tackles runner and when he gets space, he’s fast. He’s been an absolute work horse with the second and third teams in practice and has been a contributor on special teams as well. That’s where he’ll make his bread if he wants to make the roster.

Let's go Shaun! All Duke fans are rooting hard for you.

EDIT: Yuck, this article says Wilson has missed the last two practices with an undisclosed injury: https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/...tles-to-watch/

Undrafted rookie Shaun Wilson is the wild card here, and he isn't likely playing, having missed the last two practices with an undisclosed injury. Wilson has turned heads on returns and with his quickness, and keeping him could be at the expense of either Rodgers or Sims.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 08-09-2018 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Add second article link
    Bob Green

Just heard a radio interview with Laken Tomlinson out here in SF. That guy is impressive. I haven't kept track of what's going on, because I'm pretty upset with the Niners these days, but it sounded like they just paid him a big bonus. Our radio guys spent about 20 minutes with him, and afterwards couldn't stop talking about how awesome of a guy he is.

From what they said, the Lions scheme just didn't fit for him, but the Niners seem to be working out really well.

He's definitely a great ambassador for Duke. Wants to build a hospital in Jamaica in memory of his Uncle when he's done playing.

More tough news for former Duke players in the NFL. Jeremy Cash tore up his knee on Saturday night. He'd recovered a fumble and returned for a touchdown earlier in the game for the Cardinals. Sounded like he had a good chance to make the team. Cutcliffe told me he's spoken to both Jeremy and Ross Cockrell about their injuries and rehabs. Here's a little something I wrote about it:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...216597310.html

Shaun Wilson returned five kick-offs for 133 yards (26.6 avg) with a long of 39 yards for Tampa Bay last night. His best opportunity to make the roster is via special teams; however, the door has been opened for him due to an injury to Charles Sims:

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/...th-leg-injury/

The loss of Sims opens the door for rookie Shaun Wilson, an undrafted free agent from Duke.
    Wilson also caught a pass for 11 yards and rushed three times for 10 yards.
    Bob Green

Shaun Wilson returned five kick-offs for 133 yards (26.6 avg) with a long of 39 yards for Tampa Bay last night. His best opportunity to make the roster is via special teams; however, the door has been opened for him due to an injury to Charles Sims:

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/...th-leg-injury/

Wilson also caught a pass for 11 yards and rushed three times for 10 yards.
    Sounds very promising that Shaun can make the team. Let’s hope. Good for him.

https://twitter.com/nflstroud/status/1033192432425426944?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by swiseman View Post
    More tough news for former Duke players in the NFL. Jeremy Cash tore up his knee on Saturday night. He'd recovered a fumble and returned for a touchdown earlier in the game for the Cardinals. Sounded like he had a good chance to make the team. Cutcliffe told me he's spoken to both Jeremy and Ross Cockrell about their injuries and rehabs. Here's a little something I wrote about it:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...216597310.html
    man, what a bummer....Cash was simply one of the most dominant defensive players I've ever seen at Duke....

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Ross Martin was waived today.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Shaun Wilson rushed seven times for 44 yards (6.3 avg) and caught two passes for 24 yards in Tampa Bay's final preseason game. He was Tampa Bay's leading rusher. Did he do enough? It is wait and see time.
    Bob Green

At the very least he'll get stashed on the practice squad (assuming he clears waivers) of they don't keep him on the roster.

Shaun Wilson rushed seven times for 44 yards (6.3 avg) and caught two passes for 24 yards in Tampa Bay's final preseason game. He was Tampa Bay's leading rusher. Did he do enough? It is wait and see time.
    It would be a better sign if he had not played at all in the game or if he had only played a couple series as that would be a sure sign they plan on keeping him. The final preseason game is largely for guys that you do not care about getting hurt.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It would be a better sign if he had not played at all in the game or if he had only played a couple series as that would be a sure sign they plan on keeping him. The final preseason game is largely for guys that you do not care about getting hurt.
    Shaun Wilson is fighting for the last running back slot on the roster so his future is certainly up in the air. I read a couple of articles on Tampa Bay sites this morning that indicate they believe Wilson will make the cut.

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2018/0...-ronald-jones/

Wilson has consistently been on the other end of the spectrum. An undrafted free agent out of Duke, Wilson played his best game yet Thursday night, leading the team with 45 rushing yards on just eight carries, and adding 24 yards on a pair of receptions. With his versatile skill set, ability to contribute in the return game, and the injury and departure of Charles Sims, Wilson should have the last running back spot locked up after his performance.
    Bucs 2nd Round draft choice Ronald Jones rushed 10 times for 4 yards so while I acknowledge your [bold] point I do not 100 percent agree with it. I'm sure TB cares about Jones' health although the article I linked above characterized Shaun Wilson a Stud and Ronald Jones a Dud.

Roster cuts have to be complete by 4 pm Saturday.
    Bob Green

Here is another indication Shaun Wilson will make Tampa Bay's 53 man roster:

Rick Stroud
    @NFLSTROUD
    Bucs have released RB Dare Ogunbowale. First reported by @gregauman. Good practice squad player candidate
    The Bucs also released a couple of wide receiver/kick returners.
    Bob Green

Shaun Wilson posts to Instagram that he’s made Tampa’s 53 man roster!

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Shaun Wilson posts to Instagram that he’s made Tampa’s 53 man roster!
    Awesome! Great for Shaun, hope to hear about a few others sticking around (in addition to the ones who are already locked in)!

Green Bay named Austin Davis to their practice squad.

Barring any new developments, Matt Skura (undrafted free agent in 2016) is slated to start for the Raven at center. Here's some material from the Ravens:

What Matt Skura Needs to Show to Start

There doesn’t appear to be much of a competition at center right now as Matt Skura is the only one getting first-team reps. However, Skura needs to keep getting better to fill the void left by Ryan Jensen’s departure in free agency.

Skura started 12 games at right guard last season after Marshal Yanda went down with his broken ankle. However, his natural position, and what he played throughout college at Duke, is center.

As he enters his third season, the former undrafted lineman is still learning what it takes to be a starting-caliber center.

“The biggest thing for me is being able to hold my own against the big nose tackles and also being able to manage an offense – being able to take Joe [Flacco’s] call in the huddle, decipher it, and then go out and read the defense and make sure everyone’s on the same page,” Skura said.

One of Skura’s strengths is his communication and his smarts. He’s good at reading defenses, and he’s only gained more experience doing that considering all the exotic blitzes he sees from the Ravens defense in practice.

Skura is more of a technician while Jensen was known for his size, brute strength and nastiness in the trenches. But Skura doesn’t count out seeing some of that from himself.

“I save those things for the game for sure,” Skura said with a smile. “Definitely, taking that physical and nasty attitude to the game is something I want to continue to do.”
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013