Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Dukies in the NFL, 2018 season

So, it seems appropriate to go ahead and start this one, although we're starting it with some bad news both for Duke fans and Panthers fans...apparently Cockrell went down with a pretty severe leg injury (so bad that they actually canceled the rest of practice, apparently). I have not watched any of the videos, so do so at your own risk.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...12680_26926979

Best wishes for Ross, and look forward to some more positive updates on our guys in the coming weeks/months!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wow, that sucks. I was really looking forward to watching a few Cockrell pick sixes. It's a long season, but injuries like that usually don't bode well for seeing him in action any time soon.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

speaking of Devils and the Panthers, whatever happened to Jeremy Cash?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    He was released after injuries. Is now signed with the Cardinals.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Cash played sparingly on special teams as a rookie. Last year, he was waived midseason by the Panthers. He was signed and waived by three other teams throughout the season. He now is with the Cardinals.

Here is the ESPN article on Cockrell:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...s-leg-practice

The Carolina Panthers suffered their second potentially serious injury in less than a week as cornerback Ross Cockrell went down screaming and holding his left leg on what would be the last play of practice on Monday.
    Not good news...
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Here is the ESPN article on Cockrell:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...s-leg-practice

Not good news...
    The Duke curse? Tell Jamison to step carefully...

Per the pantheon of knowledge (Twitter), Cockrell has two broken bones in his leg and requires surgery:

@josephperson

Surgery for Panthers’ Ross Cockrell. He broke two bones in his leg. He will eventually end up on injured reserve. Tough break for a good guy.
    Bob Green

Per the pantheon of knowledge (Twitter), Cockrell has two broken bones in his leg and requires surgery:
    Sigh.
    Although...broken bones heal faster than ACL injuries, right? So we could still see him this season?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sigh.
    Although...broken bones heal faster than ACL injuries, right? So we could still see him this season?
    Highly unlikely. The tibia handles a lot of weight. Usually 3-6 months for the bones to mostly heal, then a bunch of rehab to rebuild leg strength and mobility lost from immobilization/lack of use.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Highly unlikely. The tibia handles a lot of weight. Usually 3-6 months for the bones to mostly heal, then a bunch of rehab to rebuild leg strength and mobility lost from immobilization/lack of use.
    No Cockrell this year.

Former Blue Devil Ross Cockrell to miss 2018 season after injury at Panthers camp
    https://www.wralsportsfan.com/former...ury-/17735617/

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sigh.
    I just hope we see him next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yeah, it is the type of injury from which there is no guarantee of full recovery, and at best it takes a LONG time to recover from. 12-18 months sounds like the “norm”. So there is a real chance he is out next year too.

WTF happened like that...on the last play of practice???

Really hate that for him. Was looking forward to a Duke player playing for the Panthers and see him play every week. Hope this is not career ending.

WTF happened like that...on the last play of practice???
    Well I have seen some reports that it was the last play, but others that were more specific and said that they canceled the remainder of practice (so it might have been towards the end, but was not meant to be the last play until the injury). Can't verify that fully, but the injury was reported pretty early in the day for it to be the end of practice, with the caveat that I don't actually know what their practice schedule is.

As for how it happened, truly a freak injury.

I am glad that Cockrell signed a new contract with a $2.4 million guaranteed signing bonus. I'm not an expert on the odd dynamics of NFL contracts so I'm not sure how much else of the 2 year, $6.6 million deal he signed is protected regardless of injury but if he has any trouble rehabbing, at least he has a nice nest egg. But hopefully he will be back playing next year or the year after!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, it is the type of injury from which there is no guarantee of full recovery, and at best it takes a LONG time to recover from. 12-18 months sounds like the “norm”. So there is a real chance he is out next year too.
    I have some personal experience with this type of injury. I suffered what sounds like a very similar injury during high school in 1994. It was my right leg and I was playing soccer. My right foot got pinned to the ground by another players foot as I was following through with my attempt to kick the ball. I had a fractured tibia/fibula combo. I had surgery that night to place a titanium rod inside my tibia that is still there 24 years later. I had a walking boot and crutches for a month, the boot for another few weeks and was cleared for running/contact about 2.5 months after. However, it probably took another 1-2 months before my leg muscles/achilles (from foot drop) were back to normal.

I wasn't an NFL player but I was in pretty good shape as a 17 year old high school athlete and I worked my butt off and it took 5 months to be back to "normal". I also didn't have a compound fracture and both bone breaks were high enough that my ankle wasn't messed up (no screws/plates needed). No ligament/tendon damage besides not being used.

While I don't know the exact details of Cockrell's injury, I'd estimate best case would be 5-6 months before he could be in NFL game shape. That definitely lands him on IR for the year. However, if he "only" broke the bones I think he would have a very good prognosis to be able to play in 2019.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Only time I passed out from pain...

Ice skating, using rented skates that only fit so so - I got caught up in a crowd and took a bad fall, breaking a bone in my ankle, exploding all the soft tissue, and breaking another bone higher up my leg. (I think tibia) Had to be carried off by ambulance, with my kids (young at the time) crying and freaking out. It was the worst pain I ever felt....every little bump in the ambulance ride.

The tibia break was undiagnosed for several hours, and the ER techs wouldn't believe how much pain I was in. Felt like my leg was lit on fire...and I did briefly pass out from the pain. They kept ratcheting up my pain meds til something gave me some relief.

This is a painful combination of injuries, and it sounds like some other posters have enjoyed this combo in their lives as well.
    Thoughts and prayers to Cockrell

aw man...that's awful....what a bummer....hope he recovers...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese