Page 95 of 149 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by revmel53 View Post
    I know exactly what type of player Keels is. I think you must have missed the most important things I said. Guards lead teams to championships. We now have only one, but have not had even two well-rounded guards this entire year. Floor general? Everyone on this board should know that Keels is not a PG; but he is a guard, who can respond to backcourt pressure, dribble and pass out of pressure, and, because of his position, be expected to defend and pressure other teams' guards. IMO he still remains a make or break get for next year's team.
    Yeah, I definitely still think you don't have a good sense of Keels' game. He's not a make or break player for us. He's a "very much want to have", but he's not pressuring other teams' guards, he's not responding to backcourt pressure, etc. It's going to be other guys responsible for that. Roach, Moore, and Griffin, and maybe someone else if they add a transfer playmaker.

I'd expect Keels to be somewhere between what Gary Trent was and what DJ Steward was, minus the quickness of Steward and minus the pure strength of Trent. And that's certainly useful, but it's not what you're describing.

Guards lead teams to championships.
    This is one of those things that people say, but how do we know it's true? For example, how many teams have had three All-conference level forwards and/or centers on the same team in the past 10 years? How did those teams do in their conference and/or NCAA tournament? I can't imagine the sample size is too large, especially if you discount teams that have three great forwards/centers and also have good guards. And if we haven't seen many or any teams like that, how do you know a team with that construction can't win a championship?

Everyone on this board should know that Keels is not a PG; but he is a guard, who can respond to backcourt pressure, dribble and pass out of pressure, and, because of his position, be expected to defend and pressure other teams' guards. IMO he still remains a make or break get for next year's team.
    Have you seen enough of Keels to know he's capable of dribbling and passing out of pressure? Have you seen enough of him to know he can defend and pressure other teams' guards? Have you seen enough of AJ Griffin to know he's not capable of those things, despite being a forward?

Personally, I think good players and coaches win championships. Assuming the team's pieces fit, it doesn't matter how many "true" guards you have.

Welcome to Duke Mr. Keels!! Nice to have some good news for a change. Hope there is more to come! LET'S GO!

Keels to Duke. Just announced his decision on ESPN2.

It's duke!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Keels to Duke. Just announced his decision on ESPN2.
    Love it!

The kid is reeeeeally big for a guard. 6-5, 210. That’s essentially the same size as Wendell Moore.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, I definitely still think you don't have a good sense of Keels' game. He's not a make or break player for us. He's a "very much want to have", but he's not pressuring other teams' guards, he's not responding to backcourt pressure, etc. It's going to be other guys responsible for that. Roach, Moore, and Griffin, and maybe someone else if they add a transfer playmaker.

I'd expect Keels to be somewhere between what Gary Trent was and what DJ Steward was, minus the quickness of Steward and minus the pure strength of Trent. And that's certainly useful, but it's not what you're describing.
    Keels is an inch shorter and a pound heavier than Trent. I’d assume the strength is roughly the same, unless Keels has a bunch of baby fat.

Trent is a good comp. the defense is something I really want to know more about.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Keels to Duke !

Says Roach recruited him hard.

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    Keels to Duke !

Says Roach recruited him hard.
    So it is safe to assume that there is no risk of Roach leaving...

Welcome to Duke, Trevor!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

Welcome to Duke, Trevor!
    A Very Good Friday !

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

Welcome to Duke, Trevor!
    Keels said Roach told him the things he liked and the things he didn't like. Hope he can perform close to the level Gary Trent, Jr. did.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    He’s not coming off the bench because Duke right now has only 7 recruited players on the roster if Hurt goes pro. If Keels commits that’s 8 recruited players.

(Keels)
    Griffin
    Banchero
    Roach
    Williams
    Coleman
    Moore
    Baker
    Other than Baldwin, are we actively involved with any other recruits? And if not it sure seems like we are adding at least 2-3 transfers? Any chance we get involved late with a recruit like we did JGold?

IYO

Exactly what I'm describing! Great get! Go Duke!

Duke has 8 recruited players on the roster if Hurt goes pro.

Keels
    Griffin
    Banchero
    Roach
    Williams
    Coleman
    Moore
    Baker
    I am amending my post. That also means with the multiple walk-ons....Coach K will go 10 deep in 2021-22!!!!!

He’s not coming off the bench because Duke right now has only 7 recruited players on the roster if Hurt goes pro. If Keels commits that’s 8 recruited players.

(Keels)
    Griffin
    Banchero
    Roach
    Williams
    Coleman
    Moore
    Baker
    Vegas would put the over/under on this list at 7. Would anticipate one of the above will not be at Duke next year. K needs at least 2 more players.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Vegas would put the over/under on this list at 7. Would anticipate one of the above will not be at Duke next year. K needs at least 2 more players.
    So Banchero or Griffin are going pro without ever showing up at Duke?

A somewhat cryptic tweet from Andrew Slater 2 nights ago (the night before Keels commit) related to a Duke post.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...039051779?s=20

You survived a global pandemic.
    Tomorrow will be better than today.
    Next season, you will be back in contention. Things have improved for you with a certain 5 star over the past few weeks, but, as always, tune in to any ESPN broadcast.

Which 5 star do we think things have "improved" with?

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    A somewhat cryptic tweet from Andrew Slater 2 nights ago (the night before Keels commit) related to a Duke post.

Next season, you will be back in contention. Things have improved for you with a certain 5 star over the past few weeks, but, as always, tune in to any ESPN broadcast.

I mean, it's probably Keels, right? No mystery there.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post

I assumes he was talking about Keels, since he said tomorrow (when he announced) will be better and tune into to ESPN (where he announced).

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I hope that Baker gets more of a shot next season. He does fit the mold of what many of us want, it’s just that he really seemed to regress this past season. I’m rooting for him though.
    We desperately need 3 point shooting next year and Joey breaking out of his funk for 20mpg would be amazing.

Keels is a great get, but i would expect something like a DJ-ish performance...mid 30s and streaky. 9 out of 10 freshman seem so struggle with the move to the college 3 (faster pace + longer line), even if they were "great" shooters in HS. Wendell + Roach are bad shooters at 30/31%...Griffin another freshman who is good/not great from 3 (from what I've read).

We need at least one sniper on the team and you would think Joey is primed for it as a senior. Unfortunately, his regression this past year on a Duke team where minutes were widely available plus a logjam on the wing doesn't have me very optimistic for his senior season.

Keels, if we get him, is a shooter scorer and a bigger SG, isn't much of a ballhandler, and isn't very quick.
    Have never seen him play, but Jerry Meyer calls his ball handling "solid" and says he can score at all 3 levels, which I assume means he can slash (requires ball-handling). But I have not seen him play...maybe calling someone "solid" is nicer analyst speak for "adequate" or "passable."