Page 62 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 2971
    I think Matt choosing to return would be like Grayson choosing to return after his sophomore year. It didn’t really have anything to do with draft position, he just really loved college and loved Duke and wasn’t ready to move on. He also had a plan in place to graduate in three years. In Matt’s case there could be some element of wanting to play in front of the crazies again and make a run at a title. Hard to predict what these kids will do, as there are a lot of factors that we are just not privy to.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think Matt choosing to return would be like Grayson choosing to return after his sophomore year. It didn’t really have anything to do with draft position, he just really loved college and loved Duke and wasn’t ready to move on. He also had a plan in place to graduate in three years. In Matt’s case there could be some element of wanting to play in front of the crazies again and make a run at a title. Hard to predict what these kids will do, as there are a lot of factors that we are just not privy to.
    Advice to would-be NBAers -- if you think you want to coach at the college level, you will need a degree. You can get a valuable Duke degree in three years. The NBA isn't going anywhere
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Banchero is absolutely dominating right now, he is a special talent. Can do it all. Looking forward to seeing him in a Duke jersey next year.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Advice to would-be NBAers -- if you think you want to coach at the college level, you will need a degree. You can get a valuable Duke degree in three years. The NBA isn't going anywhere
    Is this true? I am not so sure. Elton Brand, for instance, got a job as GM of the 76ers. I don't think he earned a degree. Rodney Hood finished his degree within the last year by taking classes online (coincidently, his wife is former Duke WBB player Richa Jackson and I believe she had encouraged him to use his injury rehab time to do that). You can always go back to college. You cannot go back to being 20 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Is this true? I am not so sure. Elton Brand, for instance, got a job as GM of the 76ers. I don't think he earned a degree. Rodney Hood finished his degree within the last year by taking classes online (coincidently, his wife is former Duke WBB player Richa Jackson and I believe she had encouraged him to use his injury rehab time to do that). You can always go back to college. You cannot go back to being 20 years old.
    sage was saying to coach at the COLLEGE level you need a degree. For the NBA, you do not.

But agree that you can always go back to get a degree although if you only have one year at Duke it's harder than it sounds and not many (has any OAD at Duke?) do it. The guys missing one year seem to be the ones eventually graduating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    sage was saying to coach at the COLLEGE level you need a degree. For the NBA, you do not.

But agree that you can always go back to get a degree although if you only have one year at Duke it's harder than it sounds and not many (has any OAD at Duke?) do it. The guys missing one year seem to be the ones eventually graduating.
    I guess I glanced over college there. Oops.

I haven't seen where a one-and-done has graduated from Duke. John Wall is an example of a player that did that, for Kentucky. As we've seen with William Avery, the door is always open for guys to return.

I guess I glanced over college there. Oops.

I haven't seen where a one-and-done has graduated from Duke. John Wall is an example of a player that did that, for Kentucky. As we've seen with William Avery, the door is always open for guys to return.
    William Avery (who played two years) has been around doing something about academic credit.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

With Goldwire not coming back and no PG recruits that i'm aware of us looking at, i'd hope that we are looking at Justin Powell as a transfer from Auburn. Played very well before getting hurt as a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    With Goldwire not coming back and no PG recruits that i'm aware of us looking at, i'd hope that we are looking at Justin Powell as a transfer from Auburn. Played very well before getting hurt as a freshman.
    He won't be eligible next year.

Not saying he wouldn't be a good get, but it would be for the 2022-23 season.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Has Goldwire actually said himself that he's not coming back? Has Duke issued an official statement?

I haven't seen anything other than "his last game at Cameron" quotes, which could be a mistake from announcers not being aware he could get an extra year.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Has Goldwire actually said himself that he's not coming back? Has Duke issued an official statement?

I haven't seen anything other than "his last game at Cameron" quotes, which could be a mistake from announcers not being aware he could get an extra year.
    I think he had either an IG or Twitter post to that affect as well. Although nothing official.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Ah gotcha, for some reason I was thinking COVID would impact transfers again next year but I must have thought incorrectly.

I think he had either an IG or Twitter post to that affect as well. Although nothing official.
    Yea that's all I've seen. Sounds like he's still undecided and maybe waiting to see who commits.

I wonder if Keels doesn't commit, Goldwire stays. If Keels commits, maybe Goldwire transfers to get a more featured role or just decides to start making $$ overseas.

Yea that's all I've seen. Sounds like he's still undecided and maybe waiting to see who commits.
    I mean, there's nothing official to say as his season isn't over yet. If anything, we've already gotten more information than usual with that post by Goldwire. And the post certainly suggest he's not planning to back for a 5th year. I think the working assumption should be that he's not coming back based on all we know to date.

If Keels commits, maybe Goldwire transfers to get a more featured role or just decides to start making $$ overseas.
    Pretty sure Goldwire can't transfer. You can only return for an extra year at the school you are at this year.

There seems to be movement on a one-time transfer rule for college basketball and football for the 2021-22 season. National reporters are saying it will be voted on this spring.

FWIW, someone at Kentucky Sports Radio has indicated that Duke, among many others, has expressed interest in Powell. There has also been movement in the crystal ball for Trevor Keels to go to Villanova. Perhaps the two are related?

Here are highlights of Powell against Memphis, one of the better defensive teams in the country. From these and other clips I've seen, he appears to be a very good shooter and decent with his handles and off-ball movement. He's a bigger guard, around 6'6" and rebounded well for his position. Not the most athletic player, but very skilled.

"You can't go back to being 20 years old" cuts both ways though. One way to look at is if you leave before you are good enough to get/stick in the nba you probably won't get another chance. There are always new young talents cropping up and after a few years in the g-league, opportunities start to dry up. Also, if you are in the category of borderline nba player, you aren't likely to be playing until your age becomes an issue. Again, with new young talent coming available every season, the older you get the harder it becomes to hold a roster spot unless you are really well established and you get to play the savvy veteran mentor role. So it isn't always about maximizing the length of your career but making the likely short career as strong as possible.

It will be interesting to compare Grayson Allen's vs Frank Jackson's careers in a few years. Allen seems to be rounding into a solid nba player while Jackson seems to be running out of time and chances. I wonder where Jackson would be now if he has stuck around for another year or two. That question is particularly difficult because he was injured much of his rookie year which means he may not have played as a sophomore. Ryan Kelley is a guy who stayed and improved each year and was able to fashion a decent short career. Hurt better but similar in many ways. He has done enough to garner some interest from nba teams and will likely get some type of contract. Physically though, he could still be a couple of years away from really competing in the nba. If he stays in college another year (or two) he takes a hit from the "potential" standpoint that often drives the draft but he raises his floor and may have a better chance to carve out a 4-6 year career. Right now his only nba skill is shooting but he'd be a minus on defense and I'm not sure he is strong enough to get off shots against nba level defense except if he's sitting in the corner taking open 3's. I'm not that's enough value to earn a roster spot right now.

Yesterday the Devils Den guys all flipped their Crystal Ball predictions to Nova for Keels
    https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...rtPredictions/

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Yesterday the Devils Den guys all flipped their Crystal Ball predictions to Nova for Keels
    Gonna need a grad transfer in the backcourt. Or two. Ones that can actually play at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I take this as a sign that one of DJ / Moore is returning.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Gonna need a grad transfer in the backcourt. Or two. Ones that can actually play at this level.
    AJ Griffin
    Wendell Moore
    Joey Baker
    DJ Steward
    Jeremy Roach
    JGold

Might all return. We can lose one and still have a complete backcourt.