Page 53 of 149 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The Baldwin ship seems to be sailing towards Milwaukee...
    Yesterday one of the top recruiting guys changed his crystal ball pick from Duke to Milwaukee. And with the timing of Johnson's departure (he and Baldwin are known to be close) it certainly doesn't look good for us. In reality though I don't know how he would fit into the roster given that we have Banchero. I know we always want to take as much talent as we can get, but I think there would be reasonable fit concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Yesterday one of the top recruiting guys changed his crystal ball pick from Duke to Milwaukee. And with the timing of Johnson's departure (he and Baldwin are known to be close) it certainly doesn't look good for us. In reality though I don't know how he would fit into the roster given that we have Banchero. I know we always want to take as much talent as we can get, but I think there would be reasonable fit concerns.
    Potentially great news for guys that want to play college ball. Allows Coleman, Brakefield and others to develop on the court. I don’t have much hope that Silver and the NBA will remove the obstacles creating the OAD fiasco.

Baldwin and Banchero play different positions and have different styles of play, so I don’t see a fit issue there. But if he chooses UWM it is neither here nor there.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Baldwin and Banchero play different positions and have different styles of play, so I don’t see a fit issue there. But if he chooses UWM it is neither here nor there.
    Yeah hard to see it being an issue of fit, but staying home and playing for pops likely has a certain appeal - especially in these Covid times.

Certainly doesn't look good. And about Johnson... yeah, regardless of which side bears the lion's share of the culpability for that experiment, if you will, I certainly don't see how it could help with the Baldwin recruitment.

I'm really pleased about Griffin and Banchero, but I probably wanted Baldwin more than anyone in that class, given his shooting prowess. So if true this is disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Certainly doesn't look good. And about Johnson... yeah, regardless of which side bears the lion's share of the culpability for that experiment, if you will, I certainly don't see how it could help with the Baldwin recruitment.

I'm really pleased about Griffin and Banchero, but I probably wanted Baldwin more than anyone in that class, given his shooting prowess. So if true this is disappointing.
    Well, it doesn't help with Baldwin. But it may not hurt so much either.

Given JJ's scattered history, I'm sure even his good friends have a bit of a sense of how much could be on Duke and how much JJ may have invited upon himself.

Having said that, it sounds like Baldwin is headed to play with dad. Hard to argue with an opportunity like that.

I have a vague recollection that shortly after committing to Duke, Banchero posted something on Twitter that suggested he would not be playing the 5 at Duke. I don’t have the means to search for it so maybe if someone else does or remembers this they could back me up. But if we take him at his word, or at least suppose that Banchero won’t be primarily playing the 5, then that’s where I see questions of roster fit. Banchero, Griffin, Moore, and hypothetical Baldwin all would see the 4 as their ideal position, not to mention Hurt should he return. Brakefield too and to a lesser extent Coleman. Each of those guys could be moved to other positions, but it’s a reasonable question to ask how they would all share the floor together. And I understand the argument that you take as much talent as you can get, but just like with Bagley and Carter I think it’s fair to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    I'm a fan of putting AJ Griffin at the 4. at 6'7 220 with a 7" wingspan he is more than big enough to handle the position at any level of basketball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Huh, I've never seen a warbler play basketball, let alone one that can play PF at any level.
    You obviously have a short memory and have forgotten Marshall Plumlee
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Looks like there have been 3 picks for Baldwin to stay home in the past 2 days.

Oh well ... I wish him luck. On to Keels, the triple double machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, it doesn't help with Baldwin. But it may not hurt so much either.

Given JJ's scattered history, I'm sure even his good friends have a bit of a sense of how much could be on Duke and how much JJ may have invited upon himself.

Having said that, it sounds like Baldwin is headed to play with dad. Hard to argue with an opportunity like that.
    I think you're right, ultimately. Any influence, to whatever extent, Johnson might have on Baldwin, the prospect of playing for his father is a much more significant factor I would think.

I'd still like to have the guy though.

I think you're right, ultimately. Any influence, to whatever extent, Johnson might have on Baldwin, the prospect of playing for his father is a much more significant factor I would think.

I'd still like to have the guy though.
    I'm all for as much talent as possible and building super teams, but I also like having some degree of continuity - at least one projected four year guy a year would be nice (with the obvious caveats about projected four year guys that we are all well aware of). Other than Baldwin and Keels, is there anyone else on our radar for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    Looks like there have been 3 picks for Baldwin to stay home in the past 2 days.

Oh well ... I wish him luck. On to Keels, the triple double machine.
    Yep, the Crystal Ball isn’t 100% accurate and we all remember times that it was wrong in our favor (Zion) or not in our favor (Kessler, Bryan Antoine, lots of others). But when there’s a large trend that happens, especially shortly before a commitment (which isn’t necessarily the case here) then that tends to be a really good indicator of what is to come.

Keels would be a great get and a better positional fit for us than Baldwin. We shall see what happens with him.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'm all for as much talent as possible and building super teams, but I also like having some degree of continuity - at least one projected four year guy a year would be nice (with the obvious caveats about projected four year guys that we are all well aware of). Other than Baldwin and Keels, is there anyone else on our radar for next year?
    Not really sure. We were on Caleb Houstan for awhile but he committed to Michigan awhile back.

I think there's a big guy/center we're recruiting in this class also but I forgot his name.

I have a vague recollection that shortly after committing to Duke, Banchero posted something on Twitter that suggested he would not be playing the 5 at Duke. I don’t have the means to search for it so maybe if someone else does or remembers this they could back me up. But if we take him at his word, or at least suppose that Banchero won’t be primarily playing the 5, then that’s where I see questions of roster fit. Banchero, Griffin, Moore, and hypothetical Baldwin all would see the 4 as their ideal position, not to mention Hurt should he return. Brakefield too and to a lesser extent Coleman. Each of those guys could be moved to other positions, but it’s a reasonable question to ask how they would all share the floor together. And I understand the argument that you take as much talent as you can get, but just like with Bagley and Carter I think it’s fair to ask.
    Banchero told Paul Biancardi in an interview back when he committed: "Me and Patrick have played together on the same team, so Patrick you know we play well off each other like no other bro. I'm going to see you. Me and Trevor have played against each other for a while, we're both fierce competitors. I think me and Trevor coming together along with Patrick and AJ on top of the great players who are already there, I think we can really make a push and win a National Championship."

So I don't think fit with Banchero will be an issue working against us with Baldwin. But, it might not matter if Baldwin chooses to play for his dad.

I think there's a big guy/center we're recruiting in this class also but I forgot his name.
    Charles Bediako.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Not really sure. We were on Caleb Houstan for awhile but he committed to Michigan awhile back.

This seems to be the one position we do not need.

Next year, we have Banchero, Williams, and Henry Coleman who can play the 5.

The guard situation is a little more interesting (mainly because we don't know the situation). Will Steward stay? Will Roach stay? Will Goldwire want to play a 5th year as a back up? Will Keels come? Will AJ play the 2 or the 3?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I'm not sure how much weight to give this, but apparently we are in the mix for MSU decommit Enoch Boakye

https://247sports.com/Article/Enoch-...all-160970349/

I am such an oldtimer... all of the crystal ball predictions, decommits, reclassifications...

I remember when the only recruiting news came from Street and Smith, ACC BBall handbook and the "Poop sheet"... all things I could read in my den without a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    I'm not sure how much weight to give this, but apparently we are in the mix for MSU decommit Enoch Boakye

https://247sports.com/Article/Enoch-...all-160970349/
    Boakye is a 2022 recruit (though he has discussed reclassifying).

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    There’s no question that Baldwin would be a huge get and give us a class approaching (but obviously not equaling) the 2018 group. But given the likely makeup of next year’s squad count me among those who view him as a luxury and not a necessity.

Operating under the assumption Hurt goes and we don’t want to go small ball again, we’d basically have 6 starter caliber players for 5 spots: Roach, Steward, Moore, Griffin, Banchero, and Williams. Those 6 give us a ton of roster flexibility assuming the chemistry is there and someone embracing a role as a super sixth man. And it’s not a given that Hurt leaves, obviously.

Baldwin seems like a top tier talent that we’d obviously love to have. But Griffin and Banchero already compliment the existing core were likely to return very nicely and could potentially be the impetus for a huge leap forward. Thus, a luxury and not a necessity. So if he’s making his decision based on Jalen, so be it.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!