Page 52 of 149 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Granted. But going from "weak point in a middling team" to "best in the nation" would be quite a feat.
    To be fair, jaks said "one of the best". And I don't think that's an unfair suggestion. How many backcourts have 3 top-25 recruits (two of them sophomores who averaged double-figures in ACC play as freshmen) on the roster? Let alone a guy who may wind up leading the conference in steals this year as the fourth option.

I don't know that it would be "the best", but I think "one of the best" is not an unrealistic expectation if we got those 4 guys next year.

That said, I suspect that Keels and Steward are mutually exclusive, so it's probably a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To be fair, jaks said "one of the best". And I don't think that's an unfair suggestion. How many backcourts have 3 top-25 recruits (two of them sophomores who averaged double-figures in ACC play as freshmen) on the roster? Let alone a guy who may wind up leading the conference in steals this year as the fourth option.

I don't know that it would be "the best", but I think "one of the best" is not an unrealistic expectation if we got those 4 guys next year.

That said, I suspect that Keels and Steward are mutually exclusive, so it's probably a moot point.
    I would be overjoyed to be shown that scenario and to agree with the poster.

Let's go Duke!

Small point to add here, but I don't think a grad transfer is an option for Goldwire. I think you only get to use the extra year at the school you currently attend. So Tape and Goldwire could come back, but only to Duke.

As for your point, I think it's unlikely that Goldwire leaves. But you never know. Pocius left a year of eligibility on the table, although he had overseas opportunities. So did Randolph, and it didn't seem at all likely he'd have ready-made pro opportunities. It's not out of the question that Goldwire could do the same.

Again, I would expect Goldwire to return, but it's not a guarantee.
    Not totally Jordan's decision. If we have Roach, DJ, and Keels, there may not be -- ahem -- room on the roster.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not totally Jordan's decision. If we have Roach, DJ, and Keels, there may not be -- ahem -- room on the roster.
    Yeah, I give just as little above 0% as uncertainty allows for that quartet to all be playing for Duke next year. I think Steward and Keels are likely mutually exclusive, so I think it's unlikely that Goldwire is forced out (and he wouldn't be forced out even if those 3 were there). But to your point it is certainly also a nonzero possibility that Goldwire has to choose between returning and playing VERY sparingly or moving on with his life.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I think there will always be room for a lockdown defender like Jordan. I'm not saying he would consistently play 20+ minutes, but I am certain that a 5th year Goldwire could be quite useful in spots for next year's Duke team.

And I cannot see how there would be any kind of scholarship crunch. We have 11 guys currently under scholarship. I can't see any way JJ or Tape come back. We add, at most, 4 more players which would take Duke to 13 if Goldwire stayed.

-Jason "that said, I don't see Duke carrying 13 scholarship plyers next year... no way to keep that many guys happy" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I really hope Goldwire is back to give us 10 min of great defense and solid play off the bench but more importantly to continue to push the young guys in practice. If you can bring the ball up and initiate the offense against Goldwire, you can do it against anyone.

I guess I’d buy that Steward and Keels are mutually exclusive. I miss the days when it was just the top 10 recruits, not the top 20, who entered with the expectation of OAD.

I don't buy that Keels and Steward are mutually exclusive because Keels can play the 1-3 and Steward is more of a 1-2. They could play together... if anything it could be Moore and Keels as mutually exclusive if this is to be any kind of a discussion because they both can play similar role. In either case Keels could play in a line up with either Steward and/or Moore.

I am sure, if not certain, that in the recruiting process Moore was and is very well aware that both Moore and Steward "might" be looking towards entering the draft in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    I don't buy that Keels and Steward are mutually exclusive because Keels can play the 1-3 and Steward is more of a 1-2. They could play together... if anything it could be Moore and Keels as mutually exclusive if this is to be any kind of a discussion because they both can play similar role. In either case Keels could play in a line up with either Steward and/or Moore.

I am sure, if not certain, that in the recruiting process Moore was and is very well aware that both Moore and Steward "might" be looking towards entering the draft in 2021
    Keels and Steward are mutually exclusive by virtue of the other names on the roster. Most notably AJ Griffin, who will likely be our starting 3. Especially so if Patrick Baldwin chooses Duke and steps in as the starting 4. There is likely only one starting spot to be had between Keels and Steward, and thus they seem mutually exclusive.

Keels and Steward are mutually exclusive by virtue of the other names on the roster. Most notably AJ Griffin, who will likely be our starting 3. Especially so if Patrick Baldwin chooses Duke and steps in as the starting 4. There is likely only one starting spot to be had between Keels and Steward, and thus they seem mutually exclusive.
    So, let's play this game... If Duke gets Baldwin, isn't there a scenario where Moore starts and neither Keels nor Steward start? Baldwin is an excellent shooter and Griffin can rain from deep too so it is not like we would be devoid of floor spacing with that lineup. Moore has been arguably Duke's best player the past couple weeks.

Imagine this far from unlikely roster.

C- Banchero, Williams
    PF - Baldwin, Brakefield, Coleman (Banchero could also play some here with Williams at the C)
    SG/SF - Griffin, Moore, Baker, Steward and/or Keels (Baldwin could play some here too)
    PG - Roach, Goldwire

--Jason "ridonkulous" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm a fan of putting AJ Griffin at the 4. at 6'7 220 with a 7" wingspan he is more than big enough to handle the position at any level of basketball.

Panchero 6'9 235
    AJ Griffin 6'7 220
    Moore / Keels 6'5 215, 6'5 210
    Steward 6'3
    Roach 6'2

is my dream lineup for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    I'm a fan of putting AJ Griffin at the 4. at 6'7 220 with a 7" wingspan he is more than big enough to handle the position at any level of basketball.

Panchero 6'9 235
    AJ Griffin 6'7 220
    Steward 6'3
    Roach 6'2

If we also have Patrick Baldwin and Mark Williams on the roster, I suspect that, while we may see your "dream lineup" for some amount of time each game, it will be neither the starting nor predominant lineup.

Also, it's Banchero, not Panchero.

The Baldwin ship seems to be sailing towards Milwaukee...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The Baldwin ship seems to be sailing towards Milwaukee...
    Can't feel badly about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Can't feel badly about that.
    No, though we could use Keels or another shooting guard I'd say...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, let's play this game... If Duke gets Baldwin, isn't there a scenario where Moore starts and neither Keels nor Steward start? Baldwin is an excellent shooter and Griffin can rain from deep too so it is not like we would be devoid of floor spacing with that lineup. Moore has been arguably Duke's best player the past couple weeks.

C- Banchero, Williams
    PF - Baldwin, Brakefield, Coleman (Banchero could also play some here with Williams at the C)
    SG/SF - Griffin, Moore, Baker, Steward and/or Keels (Baldwin could play some here too)
    PG - Roach, Goldwire

I think the weakness there is still a pure PG.. a Jones.. a true QB and facilitator but maybe Roach learns over the summer

If Baldwin does go to Milwaukee - which I see a Duke insider, John Watson, predicted today - it may help with Keels. It opens up more rotation minutes where Griffin and Moore play "up" leaving more backcourt minutes for Roach, Steward, Keels, (Goldwire).

Keels is #16 on Scout, #19 on ESPN. Steward finished at #23 on Scout, #25 on ESPN.

If Baldwin chooses Milwaukee, hopefully it also slams the door on any transfer thoughts for Brakefield. He will have a key role on potentially a great team next year and should be in a good position to start and star for Duke his junior season.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

C- Banchero, Williams
    PG - Roach, Goldwire

I would consider the scenario of Moore starting in that situation unlikely. We would need more shooting than Moore and Griffin provide at the wing. One of those guys can start at the wing, but probably not both. Especially with a weaker shooting option at PG. So in the scenario in which we got Baldwin, I would assume that Moore would come off the bench and Steward/Keels would start at SG.

If Baldwin doesn't arrive, I would expect Griffin to both start at forward, with Steward/Keels starting at SG.

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    I think the weakness there is still a pure PG.. a Jones.. a true QB and facilitator but maybe Roach learns over the summer
    I'm less concerned about that because we'd have 3-4 capable ballhandlers and a center who can create his own offense in Banchero. Any of Roach, Steward/Keels, Moore, and Griffin can create their own shot handling the ball from the perimeter.

I'm less concerned about that because we'd have 3-4 capable ballhandlers and a center who can create his own offense in Banchero. Any of Roach, Steward/Keels, Moore, and Griffin can create their own shot handling the ball from the perimeter.
    I agree with CDu. And in addition, Banchero, Baldwin, Griffin, and even Williams are all good passers for their position. And Coach K is a master at finding ways to have an efficient offense no matter what his personnel. There are plenty of ways to win without a traditional PG.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post

Panchero 6'9 235
    AJ Griffin 6'7 220
    Steward 6'3
    Roach 6'2

Huh, I've never seen a warbler play basketball, let alone one that can play PF at any level. On the other hand, perhaps someone with a 7' arm span could do that...

Pedantry is in amongst the finest traditions of DBR. I'm just trying to fit in.