Page 51 of 149 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2971

You mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It's over.
    Keels over?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I would operate under the assumption that Goldwire will return. I would imagine he would want to experience Cameron crowds again and get his true senior day experience. But, that obviously isn’t a given.
    Based off one thing I read on the internet I think that’s becoming a safer assumption and I like it having a 22 year old on your team is great.

I would operate under the assumption that Goldwire will return. I would imagine he would want to experience Cameron crowds again and get his true senior day experience. But, that obviously isn’t a given.
    If it works out that way then I think Goldwire/Roach/Steward would be a fine backcourt. Obviously it would be nice to add another five star shooter but having that core with three guys who would have an entire year of experience playing together would be great. Moore might even play some at the 2 given the depth we would have at the wing and “big wing” positions. Still a lot of moving pieces for next year, my expectation right now ranges from “about the same as this season” to “preseason number one” depending on who returns and who commits.

A very daring, out on the limb prognostication by UC ! He is usually very good and precise. Please take this in the humorous way it was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    If it works out that way then I think Goldwire/Roach/Steward would be a fine backcourt. Obviously it would be nice to add another five star shooter but having that core with three guys who would have an entire year of experience playing together would be great. Moore might even play some at the 2 given the depth we would have at the wing and “big wing” positions. Still a lot of moving pieces for next year, my expectation right now ranges from “about the same as this season” to “preseason number one” depending on who returns and who commits.
    I'd much rather see Griffin playing the 2 over Moore next year.

Quote Originally Posted by amusedcupcake View Post
    I'd much rather see Griffin playing the 2 over Moore next year.
    I agree with that sentiment. Moore is improving, but hear Griffin will be an impact player.

Definitely agreed on Hurt vs Baldwin. I would be absolutely gobsmacked if both were at Duke next year.

As for guards, don’t discount the possibility that Goldwire returns for a fifth year. If he returns and both Roach and Steward are back, I think our guards will be quite solid. Especially given how good our frontcourt should be.

If Goldwire decides not to take the free COVID year, then I agree we should hit up the grad transfer route. If one of Roach or Steward leaves, we will almost definitely need to hit the grad transfer market.

We probably should explore the regular transfer market too, as the 2023 team may be light on guards.
    We need only one thing - A true PG to orchestrate things. Drive, draw fouls. That’s the one as I still don’t see Roach as quite that guy though maybe he becomes that over summer, Goldwire just isn’t athletic enough

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    We need only one thing - A true PG to orchestrate things. Drive, draw fouls. That’s the one as I still don’t see Roach as quite that guy though maybe he becomes that over summer, Goldwire just isn’t athletic enough
    Roach’s stats were not very good against NC State. If they all improve Steward,Roach and Goldwire will be fine , but they all need major improvement for Duke to contend for a 6th National Championship. Banchero Griffin Williams Brakefield and Coleman need good feeds to score . Hopefully Baldwin will choose Duke as well.

Unsure about Griffin at the 2 but I could see Roach and Steward as the starting backcourt on a national championship team. The raw skills are there and they should be much improved next season after working on some individual areas and a year in the Duke system. We won’t need them to dominate games - just hold their own with steady play against any other backcourt in the country which they should be able to do.

Keels is not a player that should be over looked as far as an impact as a FR. Keels is a big guard in about the size of G Henderson or Gary Trent Jr. Not only is he physically developed, but he is showing this season that he is very capable at dishing the ball, scoring and rebounding. He also has the tools to be a very good defender. Believe me, I really like DJ Steward, but if Duke were to land Keels, I think there would be a definite battle for who is starting out of them.

As backcourt of Roach, Steward, Keels and JGold could be one of the best in the Country.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    Keels is not a player that should be over looked as far as an impact as a FR. Keels is a big guard in about the size of G Henderson or Gary Trent Jr. Not only is he physically developed, but he is showing this season that he is very capable at dishing the ball, scoring and rebounding. He also has the tools to be a very good defender. Believe me, I really like DJ Steward, but if Duke were to land Keels, I think there would be a definite battle for who is starting out of them.

As backcourt of Roach, Steward, Keels and JGold could be one of the best in the Country.
    Keels must be really good if adding him to a frontcourt that is .500 and seriously lacking leadership and a playmaker would make us one of the top backcourts in the country.

Looking at this from the other side, where's Goldwire gonna go? Not trying to be snarky, but it's not like he has any other options if he wants to play basketball. I guess he could grad transfer somewhere else, but that wouldn't make any sense to me.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Looking at this from the other side, where's Goldwire gonna go? Not trying to be snarky, but it's not like he has any other options if he wants to play basketball. I guess he could grad transfer somewhere else, but that wouldn't make any sense to me.
    Well, I mean, he could move on with his life. Graduate and start post-basketball world.

Who's to say?

Well, I mean, he could move on with his life. Graduate and start post-basketball world.

Who's to say?
    Hmmm, play in a packed Cameron with rabid fans who know what it's like to miss a year of their undergrad basketball experience against ACC opponents living out your dream after a dismal (for Duke standards) year or start your life? I know what I'd choose!
    Rich

Hmmm, play in a packed Cameron with rabid fans who know what it's like to miss a year of their undergrad basketball experience against ACC opponents living out your dream after a dismal (for Duke standards) year or start your life? I know what I'd choose!
    I agree! But lots of folks have taken time to reevaluate their priorities in the last year or so. I just don't take it as a given that he would want to make another run. He certainly doesn't owe Duke anything at this point.

Or, this season could fuel that competitive fire and make him want to go out with a very different narrative. Who knows?

I agree! But lots of folks have taken time to reevaluate their priorities in the last year or so. I just don't take it as a given that he would want to make another run. He certainly doesn't owe Duke anything at this point.

Or, this season could fuel that competitive fire and make him want to go out with a very different narrative. Who knows?
    Haha Mtn, wanna make a pie bet on this? I say, if the team will have him, Jordan Goldwire will be in a Duke uniform next year. It's a no brainer.
    Rich

Haha Mtn, wanna make a pie bet on this? I say, if the team will have him, Jordan Goldwire will be in a Duke uniform next year. It's a no brainer.
    You misunderstand me. I'm not betting that he is leaving. Just acknowledging the possibility that he might not want to stay. Seems short-sighted to believe otherwise.

I'd say he's likely coming back, but it isn't a given.

Far from a "pie bet" level of certainty either way for me.

Keels must be really good if adding him to a frontcourt that is .500 and seriously lacking leadership and a playmaker would make us one of the top backcourts in the country.
    Dudes get better when they get older and the Freshman to Soph leap is a pretty common thing.

I also think having a guy like Bachnero will help us with floor spacing as he is going to be a magnet, attracting attention, which will create more opportunities for other players.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Dudes get better when they get older and the Freshman to Soph leap is a pretty common thing.

I also think having a guy like Bachnero will help us with floor spacing as he is going to be a magnet, attracting attention, which will create more opportunities for other players.
    Granted. But going from "weak point in a middling team" to "best in the nation" would be quite a feat.

Small point to add here, but I don't think a grad transfer is an option for Goldwire. I think you only get to use the extra year at the school you currently attend. So Tape and Goldwire could come back, but only to Duke.

As for your point, I think it's unlikely that Goldwire leaves. But you never know. Pocius left a year of eligibility on the table, although he had overseas opportunities. So did Randolph, and it didn't seem at all likely he'd have ready-made pro opportunities. It's not out of the question that Goldwire could do the same.

Again, I would expect Goldwire to return, but it's not a guarantee.