Page 50 of 149 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 2971
    That Baldwin quote still tracks with my comment from earlier this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I don't think we'll see anything from either Keels or Baldwin until after the season. There are reasons to be optimistic on both but it's also possible they choose to go elsewhere.

Once the season is over, I think we'll see a lot of movement on both the Class of 2021 and the Class of 2022.
    FWIW, Gary Parrish of CBS Sports had an interesting article: get your jokes in now, because history suggests Duke will be back next year. He also seems to think Baldwin is going to Duke. That could just be him reading the tea leaves, but it's something. I suppose you'd rather have people talking about the primary target going to Duke, considering the staff has been on him for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    That Baldwin quote still tracks with my comment from earlier this winter.

FWIW, Gary Parrish of CBS Sports had an interesting article: get your jokes in now, because history suggests Duke will be back next year. He also seems to think Baldwin is going to Duke. That could just be him reading the tea leaves, but it's something. I suppose you'd rather have people talking about the primary target going to Duke, considering the staff has been on him for a long, long time.
    The recruiting story is an easy one, and will likely pay a lot of dividends:

"We sucked last year. I understand that. But we have a ton of returning talent. We are loaded at nearly every position. We have 2 top 10 recruits coming in who will add shooting, defense, and toughness. You can come in and be the best shooter and leading scorer of the bunch. And honestly, I have never been this energized to coach given COVID, the lack of cohesion last year, and the fact that I only have 2-5 years of coaching left."

I mean, Coach K will be a lot more supportive of the 2020-21 team and use much better words, but you get my drift.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

If we need a grad transfer portal, I suggest guards that are sound fundamentally. UVA got Hauser Notre Dame got Cormac Ryan. Duke needs sound reliable guards.

I'm assuming Baldwin and Matthew Hurt will be mutually exclusive. I can't see both of those guys being on the roster next year. So if Matt decides for whatever reason that he wants to stay at Duke another year, I think we would have a tough time signing Baldwin. Just not enough minutes to go around at the 4 and 5.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    If we need a grad transfer portal, I suggest guards that are sound fundamentally. UVA got Hauser Notre Dame got Cormac Ryan. Duke needs sound reliable guards.
    100% agreed. I would not feel comfortable going into next season with only Roach, Steward, Savarino, and freshman guard(s) in the back court. Roach could make a big improvement, which would be fantastic, but we need more depth regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I'm assuming Baldwin and Matthew Hurt will be mutually exclusive. I can't see both of those guys being on the roster next year. So if Matt decides for whatever reason that he wants to stay at Duke another year, I think we would have a tough time signing Baldwin. Just not enough minutes to go around at the 4 and 5.

100% agreed. I would not feel comfortable going into next season with only Roach, Steward, Savarino, and freshman guard(s) in the back court. Roach could make a big improvement, which would be fantastic, but we need more depth regardless.
    Definitely agreed on Hurt vs Baldwin. I would be absolutely gobsmacked if both were at Duke next year.

As for guards, don’t discount the possibility that Goldwire returns for a fifth year. If he returns and both Roach and Steward are back, I think our guards will be quite solid. Especially given how good our frontcourt should be.

If Goldwire decides not to take the free COVID year, then I agree we should hit up the grad transfer route. If one of Roach or Steward leaves, we will almost definitely need to hit the grad transfer market.

We probably should explore the regular transfer market too, as the 2023 team may be light on guards.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Definitely agreed on Hurt vs Baldwin. I would be absolutely gobsmacked if both were at Duke next year.

As for guards, don’t discount the possibility that Goldwire returns for a fifth year. If he returns and both Roach and Steward are back, I think our guards will be quite solid. Especially given how good our frontcourt should be.
    you are more optimistic then I am. I love Goldwire but he is a scoring liability usually. I was not very impressed with the decision making of Roach and Steward. So the same backcourt together might be another problem. I feel that this year's team has serious issues with scoring and taking charge of the situation and do not see that changing with those 3. Not like we have tons of options either. But then freshman can develop very quickly in a year. I hope you are right

Quote Originally Posted by evrim View Post
    you are more optimistic then I am. I love Goldwire but he is a scoring liability usually. I was not very impressed with the decision making of Roach and Steward. So the same backcourt together might be another problem. I feel that this year's team has serious issues with scoring and taking charge of the situation and do not see that changing with those 3. Not like we have tons of options either. But then freshman can develop very quickly in a year. I hope you are right
    I would expect substantial improvements from our freshmen guards if they return as sophomores. I'm not sure why you don't see the ability to score in Roach and Steward, both of whom are already efficient, double-digit scorers in ACC play this year. With a year of growth as well as a normal offseason of prep work with the coaching staff, I'd expect pretty good things from those two guys.

Goldwire isn't going to be a scoring threat. But as a third guard and defensive sparkplug? Very few teams would be disappointed to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Neither Hauser nor Ryan were grad transfers, FYI.

And I suspect you’ll find that Steward and Roach will be very good if they are back next year.

Trevor Keels Update: Now There are Four

News on the Trevor Keels front as Kentucky has extended a scholarship offer to the shooting guard. Keels had previously announced a final 3 of Duke, Villanova, and Virginia. He appears to now be entertaining the offer from John Calipari and UK. Coach Cal had a sort of awkward admission in recent weeks that he needs to prioritize shooting more than he has. He has had some poor-shooting teams of late, so Keels fits the need there. Will the late offer affect the decision from Keels?

Looking at potential rosters and coaching, it might be the case that Keels's best path to starting as a freshman would be in Lexington. The question is how much starting and being a one-and-done matters to Keels.

Marks in The Athletic today predicts Baldwin will go Duke and Keels probably won’t. Also is pretty confident Hurt is gone and is pretty confident DJ stays.

Someone on another board seems pretty confident Keels is going to Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    It's over.

How much do positions still matter in the NBA? Do the old ideas about a guy being a tweener, or only suited to 1 or only suited to 2 matter as much as they used to? Anymore it seems like there are really two positions: rim protector and three-chucker.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    How much do positions still matter in the NBA? Do the old ideas about a guy being a tweener, or only suited to 1 or only suited to 2 matter as much as they used to? Anymore it seems like there are really two positions: rim protector and three-chucker.
    Okay, three positions. Rim protector, three-chucker, and Zion Williamson.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    As it becomes more and more clear that DJ is not leaving, the odds of Keels coming seem smaller.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I don't know how it ends up, but Nova has always been the leader, however slight.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    As it becomes more and more clear that DJ is not leaving, the odds of Keels coming seem smaller.
    Totally fine with this circumstance. Give me Steward year 2 over Keels any day. Nothing against Keels - a full year in the ACC + offseason is hard to beat!

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Totally fine with this circumstance. Give me Steward year 2 over Keels any day. Nothing against Keels - a full year in the ACC + offseason is hard to beat!
    The problem is what happens to the roster in 2022-23 if neither DJ or Keels is an option. But that's another problem for another day. It's not over until it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Agree and I would also prefer to have Hurt back over Baldwin, though I know others may disagree. Even with Roach and Stewart back though, we still need another guard assuming Goldwire leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Agree and I would also prefer to have Hurt back over Baldwin, though I know others may disagree. Even with Roach and Stewart back though, we still need another guard assuming Goldwire leaves.
    I would operate under the assumption that Goldwire will return. I would imagine he would want to experience Cameron crowds again and get his true senior day experience. But, that obviously isn’t a given.