Page 5 of 149 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Might be a bummer for next year. We could really use one more stud recruit for next year, and he was one of few obvious options remaining.

- Chillin
    There's always a silver lining. A player may become available later on in the spring. And I still have a feeling that Jalen Johnson will play a lot of his minutes defending 4's while he's at Duke, which opens up time for O'Connell, Baker, and possibly Brakefield on the wings. Then again, there could be a sophomore or two on the roster that fits this roster as well as nearly any stud freshmen would have.

A lot of crystal ball activity for AJ Griffin, Jr. over the weekend. Duke insiders Andrew Slater, Chad Lykins, and John Watson all put in CB picks for Griffin to Duke. Dain Ervin added to the group. Ervin is not a Duke-specific insider, so word must have gotten out that Griffin liked what he heard and saw while at Countdown to Craziness.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    A lot of crystal ball activity for AJ Griffin, Jr. over the weekend. Duke insiders Andrew Slater, Chad Lykins, and John Watson all put in CB picks for Griffin to Duke. Dain Ervin added to the group. Ervin is not a Duke-specific insider, so word must have gotten out that Griffin liked what he heard and saw while at Countdown to Craziness.

Really glad to hear this. Griffin is a beast. He and Baldwin would be great together if we could get both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Don’t think it’s been shared yet, but here is an article from one of my favorite scouts who thinks AJ might end up as the top guy on his class.

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/10/0...consideration/

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Don’t think it’s been shared yet, but here is an article from one of my favorite scouts who thinks AJ might end up as the top guy on his class.

That's one of the best articles I've ever read analyzing a high school player.

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    That's one of the best articles I've ever read analyzing a high school player.

Thanks for the link!
    Happy to share! I can’t recommend the guys at the Stepien enough. They produce some really interesting content.

Stepinac High School is in my area and RJ Davis, AJ Griffin's Class of 2020 teammate, just announced for the Heels this morning, no doubt hurting the heart of Jeff Capel who went after him hard.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Happy to share! I can’t recommend the guys at the Stepien enough. They produce some really interesting content.
    Wow you're not kidding. Incredible breakdown. And frankly has me salivating over AJ.

Are we sure Troublemaker isn't THE Stepien? Remarkably insightful breakdown a la TM's gifs.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Wow you're not kidding. Incredible breakdown. And frankly has me salivating over AJ.

Are we sure Troublemaker isn't THE Stepien? Remarkably insightful breakdown a la TM's gifs.

- Chillin
    You're too kind, my friend. Most articles by Cole Zwicker and friends blow away any prospect breakdowns I've ever done.

I've always enjoyed Zwicker whenever he appears on the Game Theory podcast and have learned a lot from him about evaluating talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I've always enjoyed Zwicker whenever he appears on the Game Theory podcast and have learned a lot from him about evaluating talent.
    Not to derail the topic, but Sam Vecenie is someone who I alternately enjoy and detest - perhaps I am too sensitive about his frequent digs at Duke and K. The dude is smart and works hard and puts out a ton of content, although I do find his pods to usually be too long...and I am someone who can listen to a long pod.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Not to derail the topic, but Sam Vecenie is someone who I alternately enjoy and detest - perhaps I am too sensitive about his frequent digs at Duke and K. The dude is smart and works hard and puts out a ton of content, although I do find his pods to usually be too long...and I am someone who can listen to a long pod.
    Yeah, I like Vecenie's guests more than Vecenie himself. If he were to do a solo podcast, I'd never listen since he's a 35-yr-old man (or so) who speaks like a "valley girl" to use an old-school term. (I think the modern labels for how he speaks is "uptalk" and "vocal fry.")

Also, whenever Vecenie and Zwicker disagree on something (e.g. Zwicker liked Luka #1 and Vecenie liked Ayton), it seems like Zwicker ends up being right about 90% of the time. He's just the sharper analyst, and the podcast wouldn't be worth listening to if it were just Vecenie's opinion alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Yeah, I like Vecenie's guests more than Vecenie himself. If he were to do a solo podcast, I'd never listen since he's a 35-yr-old man (or so) who speaks like a "valley girl" to use an old-school term. (I think the modern labels for how he speaks is "uptalk" and "vocal fry.")

Also, whenever Vecenie and Zwicker disagree on something (e.g. Zwicker liked Luka #1 and Vecenie liked Ayton), it seems like Zwicker ends up being right about 90% of the time. He's just the sharper analyst, and the podcast wouldn't be worth listening to if it were just Vecenie's opinion alone.
    I like Vecenie's writing. He's one of the best writers about college basketball and an asset to The Athletic in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Huge news - I am from the area and he is a huge stud. The guys over at The Stepien recently did an in-depth article on considering him for #1 pick. Chance to be #1 player in the class no doubt.

This is huge!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Huge news - I am from the area and he is a huge stud. The guys over at The Stepien recently did an in-depth article on considering him for #1 pick. Chance to be #1 player in the class no doubt.

That article is extremely well-researched and thoughtful. It also makes me extremely excited to get this kid in uniform! Hard to imagine there are 4 or 5 better prospects than him in the class.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Furthermore, we may be able to complement (not a word out of you, Herr Sumner!) a 2021 OAD heavy group with next year's bunch of top 40 guys, quite a number of whom I suspect will not be OAD...e.g Brakefield, Williams, Coleman, Steward, maybe even Roach, who knows...that could be a very very good thing.

Baring unexpected departures, I am expecting our 2021 rosters looks to be...

Mark Williams
    Henry Coleman
    Jaemyn Brakefield
    Keenan Worthington
    Joey Baker
    AJ Griffin

One of DJ Steward/Roach/Christie
    One of Wendell Moore/Cassius Stanley

+ Patrick Baldwin JR
    + One of Kuminga / Banchero (Kuminga grows a bit to be in PF range)

Starting lineup:

Banchero / Kuminga
    Patrick Baldwin
    AJ
    Wendell Moore/Cassius Stanley
    DJ Steward/Roach/Christie

We'll start 4 guys over 6'6 and switch positions 2-5 like we did last year's group. We'll also have 6'9 Henry Coleman and 6'9 Brakesfield to sub in. Mark Williams will be used for the ocassion we match against a larger front line.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Baring unexpected departures, I am expecting our 2021 rosters looks to be...

Mark Williams
    Henry Coleman
    Jaemyn Brakefield
    Keenan Worthington
    Joey Baker
    AJ Griffin

One of DJ Steward/Roach/Christie
    One of Wendell Moore/Cassius Stanley

+ Patrick Baldwin JR
    + One of Kuminga / Banchero (Kuminga grows a bit to be in PF range)

Starting lineup:

Banchero / Kuminga
    Patrick Baldwin
    AJ
    Wendell Moore/Cassius Stanley
    DJ Steward/Roach/Christie

We'll start 4 guys over 6'6 and switch positions 2-5 like we did last year's group. We'll also have 6'9 Henry Coleman and 6'9 Brakesfield to sub in. Mark Williams will be used for the ocassion we match against a larger front line.
    Don't Jordan Goldwire and Alex O'Connell deserve consideration?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013