Page 25 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Corey Evans Looks at Duke's Class of 2021 Prospects

Corey Evans of Rivals.com opened up his mailbag to college basketball recruiting diehards. One question came about Duke's focus for the Class of 2021. Corey gives his view of the class:

I expect Duke to sign a top-five class in the fall, but I don't think the Blue Devils' 2021 class will be as large as its 2020 haul.

So far, Duke has offered six 2021 prospects and holds a commitment from five-star wing A.J. Griffin.

In the backcourt, the Blue Devils have prioritized Max Christie, Kennedy Chandler and Trevor Keels. If I had to make a prediction, I think Christie will choose Michigan State, Chandler will ink with Tennessee and Keels will either head to Villanova or Virginia. Obviously, a lot can change between now and the fall and it's never smart to count out the Blue Devils, but that's how things stand right now. The good news for Duke is that its need in the backcourt may not be as pressing if Jeremy Roach and D.J. Steward decide to stick around for more than one season.

In the frontcourt, things are promising. Charles Bediako could be the replacement for Mark Williams if Williams decides to depart after his freshman season. Alabama, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State are among the others heavily involved with Bediako, but I like Duke for now. Pat Baldwin Jr. is far from a college decision but I see it coming down to Duke and Milwaukee with the Blue Devils winning out over his father’s program.

This all leads things to Paolo Banchero. I will side with Kentucky for now, but Duke is involved and I also wouldn't count out Washington or Tennessee.

Griffin, Baldwin and Bediako would be a phenomenal three-man group with one or two others found outside of the five-star territory thrown in along the way.
    I find it interesting that Evans almost discusses Patrick Baldwin, Jr. as an afterthought. Baldwin is in consideration for the top overall prospect in the class now that Jonathan Kuminga is off the Class of 2020 (and most likely the professional route). At 6'10", Baldwin posses a highly coveted set of skills on the basketball court. He would pair extremely well with AJ Griffin and other targets. I do believe the staff will bring in at least one guard and at least one center.

The staff didn't want to rely on Mark Williams alone for the 2020-21 season and brought in grad transfer Patrick Tape. I don't see them having only one center on the roster for the next season, either.

At the guard position, Duke will lose senior Jordan Goldwire to graduation and likely at least one of Jeremy Roach and DJ Steward. The top 25 players that come to Duke are at best 50-50 prospects to end up as one-and-done. Both Roach and Steward were among the best guards in the high school Class of 2020. Given the focus on Kennedy Chandler, Max Christie, and Trevor Keels, it seems that the coaching staff also believes one or both of Roach and Steward are potential one-and-done players. Even if Roach and Steward both return, Duke is not going to go into the 2021-22 season with one PG and one SG. I expect at least one or two guards to end up joining Griffin (and hopefully Baldwin) and a C/F as a member of the Class of 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Corey Evans of Rivals.com opened up his mailbag to college basketball recruiting diehards. One question came about Duke's focus for the Class of 2021. Corey gives his view of the class:

I find it interesting that Evans almost discusses Patrick Baldwin, Jr. as an afterthought. Baldwin is in consideration for the top overall prospect in the class now that Jonathan Kuminga is off the Class of 2020 (and most likely the professional route). At 6'10", Baldwin posses a highly coveted set of skills on the basketball court. He would pair extremely well with AJ Griffin and other targets. I do believe the staff will bring in at least one guard and at least one center.

The staff didn't want to rely on Mark Williams alone for the 2020-21 season and brought in grad transfer Patrick Tape. I don't see them having only one center on the roster for the next season, either.

At the guard position, Duke will lose senior Jordan Goldwire to graduation and likely at least one of Jeremy Roach and DJ Steward. The top 25 players that come to Duke are at best 50-50 prospects to end up as one-and-done. Both Roach and Steward were among the best guards in the high school Class of 2020. Given the focus on Kennedy Chandler, Max Christie, and Trevor Keels, it seems that the coaching staff also believes one or both of Roach and Steward are potential one-and-done players. Even if Roach and Steward both return, Duke is not going to go into the 2021-22 season with one PG and one SG. I expect at least one or two guards to end up joining Griffin (and hopefully Baldwin) and a C/F as a member of the Class of 2021.

Great analysis. I find it interesting that Evans feels like we would strike out on our top 3 guard prospects. I can't recall that happening recently. I feel less confident on Chandler, but to miss out on Christie/Keels would be a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Great analysis. I find it interesting that Evans feels like we would strike out on our top 3 guard prospects. I can't recall that happening recently. I feel less confident on Chandler, but to miss out on Christie/Keels would be a disappointment.
    Feel like the only way that happens is if Roach and Steward return

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    I think that, even if Roach or Steward (or both) return, Duke is going to add a guard or maybe even two in the Class of 2021. There is no way the team is going to have 1 traditional PG and 1 off guard on the roster. Even in the event that Roach and Steward both return, there would be plenty of playing time for one of Chandler, Christie, or Keels. If one of Roach/Steward goes pro, it's possible to bring in 2 of the 3. And even in that situation, I highly doubt the coaching staff will stop there. It would make a lot of sense to bring in a top 75 or top 100 recruit to be a multi-year player like Alex O'Connell or Henry Coleman. The last time Duke only had 3 guards on the roster was in 2009-10. That group featured a SR (Scheyer), a JR (Smith), and a FR (Dawkins). If all else fails, a player from the Class of 2022 could be a reclass candidate like Joey Baker or Andre Dawkins, either as a redshirt or a break-in-case-of-emergency situation.

I'm not saying it is likely, but I would not rule out Wendell Moore or Matthew Hurt staying another year. Again, not likely but not impossible to imagine either. I think Moore's stock is higher than Hurt at this point for the 2021 draft but if Moore stayed that would be another stellar guard/wing on the team.

I find it very difficult to see how Roach and Steward both show out in a way that makes them likely first rounders. Hurt, Moore, Baker, JJ, and Goldwire are all gonna get serious minutes and you will need a big to play alongside them. I see both Roach and Steward having a significant role on the team, but I'm not really seeing a scenario where they both feel confident about their draft stock when the season is done.

-Jason "this assumes there even is a season... sadly, there's a decent chance it does not happen" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Well, it depends on how you define "top 3 guard prospects", but last year we struck out on the below non-bolded players (all rankings and positions per RSCI; offer list per 247):

#3 - Cole Anthony, CG
    #6 - Nico Mannion, CG
    #9 - Scottie Lewis, CG
    #16 - Bryan Antoine, SG
    #20 - Josiah James, CG
    #33 - Cassius Stanley, SG
    #36 - Boogie Ellis, SG

So only last year, we missed out on our top 5 guard prospects.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Well, it depends on how you define "top 3 guard prospects", but last year we struck out on the below non-bolded players (all rankings and positions per RSCI; offer list per 247):

#3 - Cole Anthony, CG
    #6 - Nico Mannion, CG
    #9 - Scottie Lewis, CG
    #16 - Bryan Antoine, SG
    #20 - Josiah James, CG
    #33 - Cassius Stanley, SG
    #36 - Boogie Ellis, SG

So only last year, we missed out on our top 5 guard prospects.

- Chillin
    Amazingly, out of those 7, we still ended up with the best guard for our team last year. Antoine's season was cut short by injury, but Cassius was just objectively better than Lewis, James, Ellis, and arguably Mannion as well. Would anybody be surprised if Cassius turned out to be the best pro out of that group? I don't have particularly high expectations for Cole Anthony at the next level, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    From the eye test alone, Roach is shorter than Tre and not much more of a shooter than Freshman Tre. Seems like a 2 or more year guy

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm not saying it is likely, but I would not rule out Wendell Moore or Matthew Hurt staying another year. Again, not likely but not impossible to imagine either. I think Moore's stock is higher than Hurt at this point for the 2021 draft but if Moore stayed that would be another stellar guard/wing on the team.

I find it very difficult to see how Roach and Steward both show out in a way that makes them likely first rounders. Hurt, Moore, Baker, JJ, and Goldwire are all gonna get serious minutes and you will need a big to play alongside them. I see both Roach and Steward having a significant role on the team, but I'm not really seeing a scenario where they both feel confident about their draft stock when the season is done.

-Jason "this assumes there even is a season... sadly, there's a decent chance it does not happen" Evans
    If there is a season- it will be a very strange one. Unless something changes- hard to see the crazies and older Iron Dukies packed into Cameron. Hard to imagine it will feel much like basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    If there is a season- it will be a very strange one. Unless something changes- hard to see the crazies and older Iron Dukies packed into Cameron. Hard to imagine it will feel much like basketball.
    yes, I think we're living in Mootville, don't see how football and hoops get off the ground, despite the lure of all that TV money.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, I think we're living in Mootville, don't see how football and hoops get off the ground, despite the lure of all that TV money.
    If the coming season ends up cancelled, it's going to feel like bizzaro world to watch players enter the draft having never suited up.

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    If the coming season ends up cancelled, it's going to feel like bizzaro world to watch players enter the draft having never suited up.
    But will we care (or be offended) if these drafted players believe the earth is flat?

247Sports Updates Rankings for Class of 2021

247Sports reviewed and updated the rankings for the Class of 2021 (not the composite, their own rankings). Here are the top players and those that Duke has contacted or offered from what I can tell.

1. Jonathan Kuminga (no change) 6'8" F
    3. Patrick Baldwin, Jr. (no change) 6'9" F
    4. Paolo Banchero (no change) 6'9" F
    6. AJ Griffin (no change) 6'6" G/F - Committed
    12. Max Christie (-1) 6'6" G/F
    17. Trevor Keels (no change) 6'5" SG
    19. Kennedy Chandler (+1) 6'1" PG
    23. Charles Bediako (+1) 6'11" C

Based on this, I guess you could slot everyone up a notch with Kuminga seemingly on to the Class of 2020 (and most likely the pros). In the write-up about the class, Evan Daniels lumps together Baldwin, Banchero, and Giffin in a tier of prospects just outside of the top spot. He notes that Baldwin has a rare and coveted combination of skills for his size. Banchero is described as having a great set of skills and production if not the highest ceiling for the class. Griffin is labeled as having the physical gifts and skills to compete for the top overall spot in the class.

247Sports has conferred one additional prospect with a 5th star, Kendall Brown (currently 15th in the rankings). Keels, Chandler, and Bediako make up a large group of 4-star prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    247Sports reviewed and updated the rankings for the Class of 2021 (not the composite, their own rankings). Here are the top players and those that Duke has contacted or offered from what I can tell.

1. Jonathan Kuminga (no change) 6'8" F
    3. Patrick Baldwin, Jr. (no change) 6'9" F
    4. Paolo Banchero (no change) 6'9" F
    6. AJ Griffin (no change) 6'6" G/F - Committed
    12. Max Christie (-1) 6'6" G/F
    17. Trevor Keels (no change) 6'5" SG
    19. Kennedy Chandler (+1) 6'1" PG
    23. Charles Bediako (+1) 6'11" C

Based on this, I guess you could slot everyone up a notch with Kuminga seemingly on to the Class of 2020 (and most likely the pros). In the write-up about the class, Evan Daniels lumps together Baldwin, Banchero, and Giffin in a tier of prospects just outside of the top spot. He notes that Baldwin has a rare and coveted combination of skills for his size. Banchero is described as having a great set of skills and production if not the highest ceiling for the class. Griffin is labeled as having the physical gifts and skills to compete for the top overall spot in the class.

247Sports has conferred one additional prospect with a 5th star, Kendall Brown (currently 15th in the rankings). Keels, Chandler, and Bediako make up a large group of 4-star prospects.
    So a bunch of Grant Hills? Can we get them all? Kinda like Zion/RJ/Cam, only hopefully better than an Elite 8 appearance.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    So a bunch of Grant Hills? Can we get them all? Kinda like Zion/RJ/Cam, only hopefully better than an Elite 8 appearance.
    Sign me up for a class of Baldwin, Banchero, and Griffin with a couple of returning guards and wings + Mark Williams.

PG: Jeremy Roach/Kennedy Chandler
    SG: DJ Steward, Joey Baker
    SF: AJ Griffin, Jaemyn Brakefield
    PF: Patrick Baldwin, Jr., Henry Coleman
    C: Paolo Banchero, Mark Wiliams

Add a PG on the roster for depth and we'd be good to go.

French Connection?

Duke is the latest American college team to reach out to 6'9" wing/forward Ousmane Dieng. Evan Daniels of 247Sports just released an update on the young man, who has displayed an immense amount of potential as a tall, lanky wing with high level ball skills and shooting. Dieng has heard from a lot of the top programs in the United States recently after expressing interest in the idea of playing in the American college game.

Here is what Dieng had to say about a recent conversation with Duke's coaching staff:

The Duke interest particularly caught Dieng’s attention, and he told 247Sports that he recently had a virtual meeting with Duke’s Jon Scheyer, Chris Carrawell, Nate James and Nolan Smith.

“I am seriously considering Duke,” Dieng said. “As mentioned to you before, we are still very early on in the process. I am planning to meet with other schools in the future and I am also considering all professional options.”

“I feel honored that Duke is interested in me,” he added. “It was really interesting to learn about The Brotherhood. Very inspiring. The coaches also discussed player development, how they envision me fitting into their program and how they can prepare me for the NBA. They have a great track record in developing some of the best players in the NBA.”
    Brandon Ingram and Jayson Tatum immediately jump out as comps for Dieng. He is comfortable operating out on the perimeter but can and will use his long strides and footwork to create separation going to the lane or pulling up for a jumper. The release is quick for such lanky arms. He looks more than comfortable with the ball in his hands, too, and has a demonstrated good assist numbers. While he is tall enough to play the forward position in the college game, I wonder if he ends up as a super-sized SG in the NBA. Of course, he might have more room to grow before it is all said and done. This is an interesting development and one to watch. Here is a video of Dieng playing in the FIBA U16 tournament in the summer of 2019. He has reportedly grown to 6'9" in the past year.

According to 247, Duke has reached out to French 6'9" 185lb Ousmane Dieng. Scheyer etc had a session with Dieng recently. Dieng reportedly fashions his game off Brandon Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    According to 247, Duke has reached out to French 6'9" 185lb Ousmane Dieng. Scheyer etc had a session with Dieng recently. Dieng reportedly fashions his game off Brandon Ingram.
    Is that because, at 6'9", he weighs as much as 6'2" Goldwire?

In fairness to Ingram, who looked really really skinny in high school and college, Ingram was listed at 195-200lb going into college. Dieng has a lot of BBQ to eat before then...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Looks like he is running the point for his French team. So I would definitely see him as a 2 more than a 3. He would definitely be a matchup problem if he is 6’9”!

Quote Originally Posted by Chillduck View Post
    Looks like he is running the point for his French team. So I would definitely see him as a 2 more than a 3. He would definitely be a matchup problem if he is 6’9”!
    I think he's a 3 or possibly 4. Remember, Brandon Ingram played quite a bit at the 4 at Duke.

6'9" guys aren't staying in front of little, quick ACC guards. Your position isn't based on what you can do on offense, it's what you can defend. This is the same reason Joey Baker will never be a 2 guard. But a 6'9" small forward is still a match up problem in college ball.