Page 19 of 149 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Crap. Forgot.

1. Pound Cake
    2. Apple Pie and vanilla ice cream
    3. Red Velvet Cake
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    This is outrageous...

Only Apple Pie is a pie and why ruin it with ice cream!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    They are a package deal!

Vanilla ice cream has been making the rounds as a complementary player for a while now. Most say it hasn't been a "go to" desert for years. Still, in the right situation, it go into "a la mode."

"Recruiting thread"? Any way the thread can get back on the true theme, so one doesn't waste time on these insipid posts?

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    "Recruiting thread"? Any way the thread can get back on the true theme, so one doesn't waste time on these insipid posts?
    You don’t have to be so tasteless in your commentary.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Vanilla ice cream has been making the rounds as a complementary player for a while now. Most say it hasn't been a "go to" desert for years. Still, in the right situation, it go into "a la mode."
    I really like vanilla ice cream, and frequently eat it at home. When I get ice cream at a shop with friends or family, I usually order something similar like buttered pecan because I am too embarrassed to order vanilla in public.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    You don’t have to be so tasteless in your commentary.
    Objections. I strongly disagree with mattman's choices for his top 3 desserts. Why? It's clearly because chocolate is not included in any of them. They should be:

1. German Chocolate Cake
    2. Black Forest Cake
    3. Chocolate chocolate chip ice cream with fudge swirls (additional chocolate or fudge sauce optional)

And, don't get me started on breakfast stouts, OPK's old comment about obese patrons at Waffle Houses not withstanding.

It is nice to see the updated lists for those recruits most recently mentioned. We appear to be in pretty good shape, particularly if any special "packaging" is in order.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A Kentucky site posted a recruiting rundown from a Wildcat perspective on Friday featuring Rivals recruiting expert Corey Evans. Evans touched on many topics and top targets for the Class of 2021, including Paolo Banchero, Kennedy Chandler, and Patrick Badlwin, Jr. Evans believes that, as of now, UK appears to be in good shape for both Banchero and Chandler, along with Tennessee. Duke is mentioned. I've seen others indicate Duke as being in a good position for both. The last target covered was Patrick Baldwin, Jr. Here's what was said about the Wisconsin sharpshooter:

RECRUITING PATRICK BALDWIN JR.
    Rivals.com also posted a lengthy and informative Q&A with Kentucky target Patrick Baldwin Jr. this week, and the smooth-shooting 6-9 perimeter forward from Milwaukee had positive things to say about Calipari and the Wildcats’ program.

Baldwin is the No. 3 player in the Rivals.com rankings and already has a UK scholarship offer. He’s also a priority recruit for Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski, and Baldwin’s father is Pat Baldwin, the head coach at the University of Milwaukee.

“Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he says he’s going to stay home and go to Milwaukee,” Evans told the Herald-Leader. “And as you get to kind of know the kid, you’re like, ‘That kind of makes sense.’ Look at how many times in the Q&A that he brings up family — that’s important to him. And you have his father, they kind of go everywhere together and they’re very, very close.

“And I think Pat Baldwin is so good and his game translates so well, I don’t think it really matters where he goes, honestly. You want to be challenged, and I do think Duke has a very good chance as well. He’s that Duke kind of kid, right?”

Evans noted that Baldwin’s father was previously an assistant at Northwestern under Coach Chris Collins — a former Duke player and longtime Coach K assistant — and Baldwin’s friend and travel league teammate, Jalen Johnson, is the top recruit in Duke’s 2020 class.

Calipari will still be recruiting Baldwin, however, and former UK player Tyler Herro, who’s also from Milwaukee, has ties to Baldwin’s travel league team.

“You can’t discount Kentucky, either, Evans said. “He saw a guy from his new hometown go there and succeed, and Cal recognizes the need for a guy that can make shots. And I think that’s why they’ve made him a priority.”

UK likely has some ground to make up, though.

“As of right now, I think it’s Duke and Milwaukee, honestly,” Evans said. “And then everyone else.”

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    A Kentucky site posted a recruiting rundown from a Wildcat perspective on Friday featuring Rivals recruiting expert Corey Evans. Evans touched on many topics and top targets for the Class of 2021, including Paolo Banchero, Kennedy Chandler, and Patrick Badlwin, Jr. Evans believes that, as of now, UK appears to be in good shape for both Banchero and Chandler, along with Tennessee. Duke is mentioned. I've seen others indicate Duke as being in a good position for both. The last target covered was Patrick Baldwin, Jr. Here's what was said about the Wisconsin sharpshooter:
    Great update! Thanks for sharing!! Interesting we're in a recruiting battle with the University of Milwaukee .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Great update! Thanks for sharing!! Interesting we're in a recruiting battle with the University of Milwaukee .
    As I'm sure you remember K did lose a recruiting battle for a priority recruit to Colgate.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    As I'm sure you remember K did lose a recruiting battle for a priority recruit to Colgate.
    Indeed. One could say K was Foyle'd in that endeavor.

(or, one could choose not to state that)

devildeac, no one could ever imagine you looking that pun in the eye and declining the option.

devildeac, no one could ever imagine you looking that pun in the eye and declining the option.
    If the shoe fits:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/incorrigible

That was actually the title of the topic on this board back in the day when Adonal made his choice. Him, Ousmane Cisse and Ndubi Ebi were some big misses in that couple year period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeiMA4IO5CY

If you haven’t seen this you might enjoy see the returning guys chatting with Nolan about last year, the coming year, what they are doing now and what they want to do better...
    Joey is very talkative and seems like he will be an obvious leader for me. JGold too. Matt H is really quiet. At one point Nolan compliments him saying that when he first came to Duke he used to speak about ten words and now he is speaking one hundred....
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    That was actually the title of the topic on this board back in the day when Adonal made his choice. Him, Ousmane Cisse and Ndubi Ebi were some big misses in that couple year period.
    Are there folks around here who do not know the tale of Ndudi Ebi?

He was down to Duke, Arizona, and Texas. He was from Houston and he asked Coach K to come visit him (many speculated that Ebi said he would commit, but wanted to do it in person to K himself). So K got on a plane to Houston but while K's plane was still in the air, Ebi called a press conference and announced for Arizona. K's plane literally landed in Houston and immediately took off again to come back to Durham.

Of course, Ebi pulled a fast one on Arizona too by declaring for the NBA draft straight out of high school and never playing a second of college ball. This was 2003, before OAD was a thing. Ndudi lasted 2 seasons at the very end of the TWolves bench before being cut. He spent the next 15 years playing in various leagues all over the world. Never been happier to see a player fail to reach his potential and flame out more than Ndudi Ebi.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

He was down to Duke, Arizona, and Texas. He was from Houston and he asked Coach K to come visit him (many speculated that Ebi said he would commit, but wanted to do it in person to K himself). So K got on a plane to Houston but while K's plane was still in the air, Ebi called a press conference and announced for Arizona. K's plane literally landed in Houston and immediately took off again to come back to Durham.

Of course, Ebi pulled a fast one on Arizona too by declaring for the NBA draft straight out of high school and never playing a second of college ball. This was 2003, before OAD was a thing. Ndudi lasted 2 seasons at the very end of the TWolves bench before being cut. He spent the next 15 years playing in various leagues all over the world. Never been happier to see a player fail to reach his potential and flame out more than Ndudi Ebi.
    Thanks for sharing - I never heard that one before. I can only imagine K's reaction. If he had ended up at Arizona and we had played them, I can only imagine how we would have gone after him...

So Ndudi was a real N-dud?

The NCAA had a short-lived rule that limited schools to a maximum of eight recruits over two consecutive years. Duke has brought in a six-player class the year before and thus only recruited three players, Luol Deng, Kris Humphries and Ebi the following year. The trio combined to play two years of college ball. After losing Ebi and Humphries to some peculiar circumstances, K declined the opportunity to fill out the class with a four-year player. Hence four years down the road Duke went into the 2007 season without a single recruited senior. Even in the OAD era Duke has always had at least one recruited senior.

Foyle was in the high school class of 1994, Ebi in the class of 2003. So, they weren't all that close. Foyle would have been in the same class as Trajan Langdon, Ricky Price and Wojo, so there would have been room for a post.

I was not surprised when I saw your picture next to the definition!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The NCAA had a short-lived rule that limited schools to a maximum of eight recruits over two consecutive years. Duke has brought in a six-player class the year before and thus only recruited three players, Luol Deng, Kris Humphries and Ebi the following year. The trio combined to play two years of college ball. After losing Ebi and Humphries to some peculiar circumstances, K declined the opportunity to fill out the class with a four-year player. Hence four years down the road Duke went into the 2007 season without a single recruited senior. Even in the OAD era Duke has always had at least one recruited senior.

Foyle was in the high school class of 1994, Ebi in the class of 2003. So, they weren't all that close. Foyle would have been in the same class as Trajan Langdon, Ricky Price and Wojo, so there would have been room for a post.
    The rule was well-meaning (unless, of course, you were one of the top two or three teams). In 2002, then-current Georgia Tech player Michael Eisenhour died of cancer. A few months later, Bobby Cremins stood up at a coach's meeting to say: "I had a player die of cancer and, under the rules, I am not allowed to replace him. What's that about?" Probably not a coincidence that the rule soon disappeared.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Was trying to decide whether to put this in this thread or the 2020 one... for now I guess it stays here.

Jonathan Kuminga says he is 50-50 on reclassifying into the 2020 class. This would be big news, obviously. He is supposedly going to name a top five soon. We should be in there but I don’t think anyone has a strong sense where this kid is going.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...020-146818743/
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Was trying to decide whether to put this in this thread or the 2020 one... Jonathan Kuminga says he is 50-50 on reclassifying into the 2020 class.
    I’d say you had a 50-50 chance at getting it right

I know a lot of people have been saying we’re out of the running for him, but I’m still intrigued. His recruitment has a lot of a Marvin Bagley feel to it.