Page 17 of 149 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Corey Evans of Rivals posted a Q&A with top SG prospect Max Christie. Christie goes on to say that he wants to commit before his high school basketball season begins in November. During the interview, he talks about some of his main suitors, including Michigan State, Northwestern (his mother is an alma mater), Ohio State, Villanova, Virginia, and Duke. Here is what Christie had to say about Duke and the potential of playing with his friend Patrick Baldwin, Jr.

Duke is seen as a heavy favorite for Christie but the full interview shows that the young man is considering his decision carefully. He notes that academics are important to him. He doesn't see the G-League option as ideal for him and that, no matter where he goes, wants to get a degree at some point. He also wants to be part of a family. Perhaps the family environment he prefers is the Brotherhood.
    That answer did not seem to paint us a 'heavy favorite.' If anything seems like we are only somewhat engaged, and not at the highest levels of the organization. Am I missing something?

Wonder if Duke is a heavy favorite b/c a) there's no clear favorite, so Duke becomes somewhat of a default given our track record, or b) the kid/family has expressed a love of Duke previously. (A feels more likely than B, but I'm not close to Max's recruitment...or anyone else's)

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    Coach, stop wasting your time with Dr. Fauci and send Max a text!
    Absence makes the heart grow fonder. A call or text from Coach K is a big deal and can seal the deal on a commitment. K will bide his time and move in when the moment is right to get Max to sign on the dotted line with Duke.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    That answer did not seem to paint us a 'heavy favorite.' If anything seems like we are only somewhat engaged, and not at the highest levels of the organization. Am I missing something?

Wonder if Duke is a heavy favorite b/c a) there's no clear favorite, so Duke becomes somewhat of a default given our track record, or b) the kid/family has expressed a love of Duke previously. (A feels more likely than B, but I'm not close to Max's recruitment...or anyone else's)
    Yes, you are missing something. Duke is fully engaged with Max and vice versa. I'm perplexed as to how wanting to join a program that's like a family and ultimately wanting to get a degree suggests otherwise. Whether Duke is the favorite or he's a heavy lean at this point is all just someone speculating/talking out of their butt.

Perhaps the comment that Duke isn’t contacting him as often as other schools might be interpreted as us not being the favorite, but I see it the other way around. We don’t need to be in constant contact every day, I think Duke is a fairly known commodity and it’s the other schools who are having to catch up to us.

Don't do much fishin', do ya?

I just think their recruiting style is a little different but Duke has stayed in contact but not as much as the others.
    Reading a Q&A, you don't get the nonverbal parts of speech. How did Christie say the line above? Did he emphasize that "Duke is different" as in, that program stands out from the others? Did he say that in a way that makes him feel like Duke is aloof? It's hard to tell. We're reading into a lot of things a 17 year old is saying. It's a tough business.

Christie seems like a smart kid with a lot of talent. There's a lot of smoke out there that suggests that Duke is very interested and the feelings are mutual. Is it all smoke? I don't know.

Zaire Wade Posts Up

Dwyane Wade's eldest son, Zaire had an interesting year at Sierra Canyon. It ended with the younger Wade essentially walking away from the star-studded team. Now Wade, a PG prospect, is going to take a postgrad year at New Hampshire's Brewster Academy.

I haven't seen anything that suggests Duke is involved. I hope we do get involved given the connection between Coach K and Dwyane Wade. It would be great to see Wade and his family at Cameron Indoor Stadium. And Duke will need a backup PG after Jordan Goldwire departs. Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    Yes, you are missing something. Duke is fully engaged with Max and vice versa. I'm perplexed as to how wanting to join a program that's like a family and ultimately wanting to get a degree suggests otherwise. Whether Duke is the favorite or he's a heavy lean at this point is all just someone speculating/talking out of their butt.
    Look I have no idea whether Duke is fully engaged or not. I have no idea what Duke is doing on the recruiting trail other than what I read, same as most ordinary folk.

But if I'm missing something (which is more than likely), you didn't point it out. "Wanting to join a family program" and "wanting a degree" have nothing to do with Duke's engagement. I'm perplexed that you read it that way. You could very easily interpret that to mean that Max really likes what Duke offers, etc. but I don't see how that has anything to do with Duke's engagement with Max.

On the other hand, this quote offers insight into Duke's engagement, at least from Max's perspective:
    "Coach K has been really busy and Duke has contacted me every now and again but I just think their recruiting style is a little different but Duke has stayed in contact but not as much as the others.
    What about "Duke contacts me every now and again" and "[Duke doesn't contact me] as much as the others" sounds like Duke is "Fully Engaged"?

I agree with everything DBA said on context for the article, or maybe this has to do with our style, etc. So if there is other info out there (and I'm sure there is), I'm all for hearing it. To me, the contrast between the above quote and Duke being a heavy favorite just seemed odd.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Don't do much fishin', do ya?
    Ya lost me, but I may try and fish this weekend.

? Refer to patience?

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    ? Refer to patience?
    I guess. My post wasn't about speed. Just trying to link two things that seem at odds with each other on the surface...of course there's a ton going on below the surface that I don't know about...kinda like fishin! (WHOA. Did BD80 just incept me??)

I guess. My post wasn't about speed. Just trying to link two things that seem at odds with each other on the surface...of course there's a ton going on below the surface that I don't know about...kinda like fishin! (WHOA. Did BD80 just incept me??)
    Looks like a tea leaf reading problem.

Banchero has #SI6HTS set

Top 2021 big man Paolo Banchero previously announced a final 9 schools in September 2019. That list included Baylor, Duke, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Kentucky, Memphis, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington. The last of that list is based in his hometown Seattle. Banchero announced this morning that his Top 6 schools will be announced shortly, and that he'll decide from that smaller group. Expect to see Duke in that list.

If I had to guess, we'll probably see Duke, Gonzaga, Kentucky, Memphis, and Washington among his top 6. I'm not sure what the 6th school will be. And I could certainly be wrong about one or more of those 5. It's just a guess on my part to be perfectly honest.

Banchero has long been connected to top PG recruit Kennedy Chandler. The latter recently had a virtual visit with the Duke staff. The two talk often and have said they want to play together in college.

Here's a not-too-short video featuring the young big man from early March 2020. I enjoy the way he sees himself as a multi-dimensional player. He's drawn comparisons to Carlos Boozer in terms of size and role on the floor as a hard-working interior scorer with range on his jumper. He seems a little more mobile and possibly higher skilled than Boozer was without the same amount of strength. Who was stronger than Boozer, after all? Banchero is one to watch.

Corey Evans of Rivals posted a Q&A with top SG prospect Max Christie. Christie goes on to say that he wants to commit before his high school basketball season begins in November. During the interview, he talks about some of his main suitors, including Michigan State, Northwestern (his mother is an alma mater), Ohio State, Villanova, Virginia, and Duke. Here is what Christie had to say about Duke and the potential of playing with his friend Patrick Baldwin, Jr.

Duke is seen as a heavy favorite for Christie but the full interview shows that the young man is considering his decision carefully. He notes that academics are important to him. He doesn't see the G-League option as ideal for him and that, no matter where he goes, wants to get a degree at some point. He also wants to be part of a family. Perhaps the family environment he prefers is the Brotherhood.
    Not sure what if any impact it'll have on Christie but Michigan State signed '21 shooting guard Pierre Brooks.

Dwyane Wade's eldest son, Zaire had an interesting year at Sierra Canyon. It ended with the younger Wade essentially walking away from the star-studded team. Now Wade, a PG prospect, is going to take a postgrad year at New Hampshire's Brewster Academy.
    Is it just me or does he look a lot like RJ Barrett, both in facial features and body type?

Top 2021 big man Paolo Banchero previously announced a final 9 schools in September 2019. That list included Baylor, Duke, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Kentucky, Memphis, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington. The last of that list is based in his hometown Seattle. Banchero announced this morning that his Top 6 schools will be announced shortly, and that he'll decide from that smaller group. Expect to see Duke in that list.

If I had to guess, we'll probably see Duke, Gonzaga, Kentucky, Memphis, and Washington among his top 6. I'm not sure what the 6th school will be. And I could certainly be wrong about one or more of those 5. It's just a guess on my part to be perfectly honest.

Banchero has long been connected to top PG recruit Kennedy Chandler. The latter recently had a virtual visit with the Duke staff. The two talk often and have said they want to play together in college.

Here's a not-too-short video featuring the young big man from early March 2020. I enjoy the way he sees himself as a multi-dimensional player. He's drawn comparisons to Carlos Boozer in terms of size and role on the floor as a hard-working interior scorer with range on his jumper. He seems a little more mobile and possibly higher skilled than Boozer was without the same amount of strength. Who was stronger than Boozer, after all? Banchero is one to watch.

He seems to be a confident well spoken young man. I really hope we get him and I really liked that tee shirt he had on while shooting hoops.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Is it just me or does he look a lot like RJ Barrett, both in facial features and body type?
    You're right UrinalCake! He does look a lot like RJ Barrett. Now,is there any kid out there that looks like Zion? Probably only in a Marvel comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    You're right UrinalCake! He does look a lot like RJ Barrett. Now,is there any kid out there that looks like Zion? Probably only in a Marvel comics!
    Not a kid, but I think Booger McFarland looks like an old Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Not a kid, but I think Booger McFarland looks like an old Zion.
    5cc9afea2400008300259436.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    zion.jpg LT.jpg

This guy comes to mind as well