Page 148 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149 LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 2971
  1. #2941
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    USA comes from behind to win 83-81. Wembanyama got into foul trouble and then fouled out with 3 minutes left and 22 points. Kenny Lofton Jr. and Jaden Ivey each had 16 points for USA. A well-deserved gold medal for the U19 team.
    Wembanyama finished with a very impressive statline of 22 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 blocks (with 5 fouls) in 27 minutes. Outplayed Chet Holmgren who had 10 points, 5 assists, and 2 rebounds. Worth keeping in mind that Wembanyama is 18 months younger than Holmgren. Both look impossibly lean and lanky but are fluid athletes.

  2. #2942
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    The 2021 FIBA Men's U19 World Cup Gold Medal game between USA and France is starting in a few minutes.
    No Duke commits are playing, but former recruits include Chet Holmgren and Patrick Baldwin Jr.
    https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...al-canada.aspx
    Great. Just what I need is to watch guys who spurned Duke play really well and remind me of what could have been. 😊

  3. #2943
    Jalen Duren, the number 1 ranked player for 2022, has reclassed to 2021 and committed to Memphis. Emoni Bates has also reclassed and may join him. I'm not sure what to expect from Memphis, and I believe Bates stock has dropped, but given that it's Coach K's last season, I wish it was a weaker year for college basketball in general.

  4. #2944
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Jalen Duren, the number 1 ranked player for 2022, has reclassed to 2021 and committed to Memphis. Emoni Bates has also reclassed and may join him. I'm not sure what to expect from Memphis, and I believe Bates stock has dropped, but given that it's Coach K's last season, I wish it was a weaker year for college basketball in general.
    I suspect K does not share that sentiment. I don't see him shying away from a Penny coached team of extremely young talent.

  5. #2945
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Manhattan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    That kid looks ridiculous. Only 17 too.

    Easily the number one pick in 2023.
    Imagine him on the French senior national team for the 2024 Olympics. Team USA is going to have its hands full.

  6. #2946
    Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Imagine him on the French senior national team for the 2024 Olympics. Team USA is going to have its hands full.
    It'll be fun to watch Tatum and Zion go at him.

  7. #2947
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I suspect K does not share that sentiment. I don't see him shying away from a Penny coached team of extremely young talent.
    Yeah, I'm not concerned about Memphis in particular. As I said, I'm not sure what to expect from Memphis and Bates stock has dropped. The Duren signing is actually probably a positive thing from a Duke perspective since he was considered a heavy Kentucky lean. I didn't say more because I dont want to jinx anything. But college basketball as a whole will be stronger than I would have liked given that it is Coach K's last hurrah.

    I really want to see Coach K go out on a high note, which, given his success, would require a good tournament run. I didn't love seeing Bacot return, Gonzaga add Holmgreen and retain Timme, Kentucky supposedly add Cockburn (this one actually never came to fruition, thankfully), Dickenson back at Michigan or Duke sitting at 10 in the preseason poll. Normally, I'd look at it as a chance to exceed expectations. This year I just want Coach K and Duke to do well, especially given last season's ending.

    And to pacify the weaufx gods, Hardaway is a relatively young guy who may ultimately be a very good coach, althoughc the jury is still out. And in his first year as an assistant, Larry Brown may be doing a significant amount of coaching without the baggage he will likely quickly accumulate. If Penny adds Rasheed Wallace to his staff as rumored, it will be even more interesting (it should also be noted that Bates evidently will still be too young to declare for next year's draft). So while I don't think Coach K is at all worried about Memphis right now, I'm not sure I'd want to see them in the second round.
    Last edited by Owen Meany; 08-07-2021 at 11:17 PM.

  8. #2948
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Yeah, I'm not concerned about Memphis in particular. As I said, I'm not sure what to expect from Memphis and Bates stock has dropped. The Duren signing is actually probably a positive thing from a Duke perspective since he was considered a heavy Kentucky lean. I didn't say more because I dont want to jinx anything. But college basketball as a whole will be stronger than I would have liked given that it is Coach K's last hurrah.

    I really want to see Coach K go out on a high note, which, given his success, would require a good tournament run. I didn't love seeing Bacot return, Gonzaga add Holmgreen and retain Timme, Kentucky supposedly add Cockburn (this one actually never came to fruition, thankfully), Dickenson back at Michigan or Duke sitting at 10 in the preseason poll. Noormally, I'd look at it as a chance to exceed expectations. This year I just want Coach K and Duke to do well, especially given last season's ending.

    And to pacify the weaufx gods, Hardaway is a relatively young guy who may ultimately be a very good coach, although though the jury is still out. And in his first year as an assistant, Larry Brown may be doing a significant amount of coaching without the baggage he will likely quickly accumulate. And if Penny adds Rasheed Wallace to his staff as rumored, it will be even more interesting (it should also be noted that Bates evidently will still be too young to declare for next year's draft). So while I don't think Coach K is at all worried about Memphis right now, I'm not sure I'd want to see them in the second round.
    I understand your perspective. And I know/agree K wants badly to go out on top. But I suspect that he wants to beat the best. Not win situationally or against subpar competition.

  9. #2949
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I understand your perspective. And I know/agree K wants badly to go out on top. But I suspect that he wants to beat the best. Not win situationally or against subpar competition.
    K has taken Duke to 12 Final Fours:

    1986: Duke played a #12 seed in the Sweet 16 and a #7 seed in the Elite Eight
    1988: Duke played a #11 seed in the Sweet 16 and a #6 seed in the Final Four
    1989: Duke played a #11 seed in the Sweet 16 and a #3 seed in the Final Four
    1990: Duke played a #7 seed in the Sweet 16 and a #4 seed in the Final Four
    1991: Duke played a #11 seed in the Sweet 16, a #4 seed in the Elite Eight, and a #3 seed in the championship game
    1992: Duke played a #6 seed in the championship game
    1994: Duke played a #6 seed in the Sweet 16 and a #3 seed in the Final Four
    1999: Duke played a #12 seed in the Sweet 16 and a #6 seed in the Elite Eight
    2001: Duke played a #6 seed in the Elite Eight and a #3 seed in the Final Four
    2004: Duke played a #7 seed in the Elite Eight
    2010: Duke played a #5 seed in the championship game
    2015: Duke played a #7 seed in the Final Four

    To sum up the above, in our 12 Final Fours, we played 21 games against teams more than one off the expected seed line (e.g., as a #1, playing a #5 seed instead of a #4 in the Sweet 16 would be "one off"). In contrast, in the 13 tournaments in which Duke lost in the Sweet 16 or the Elite Eight during K's tenure, we only played four games against teams more than one off the expected seed line. Coincidence or not, we've gone further in the tournaments when we haven't played the best teams potentially in our path.

    In fact, in our five championships, we only played against two #1 seeds (in theory, we could have played as many as eleven #1 seeds in those five tournaments), and the only championship run during which we played the overall #1 seed was 1991 vs. UNLV.

    To my knowledge K has never complained about beating subpar competition, winning situationally, or not getting the opportunity to beat the best during or after any of his Final Four runs. (At least not publicly.) Obviously, you play who's in front of you. It probably helps when they're not the best.

  10. #2950
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    K has taken Duke to 12 Final Fours:

    1986: Duke played a #12 seed in the Sweet 16 and a #7 seed in the Elite Eight
    1988: Duke played a #11 seed in the Sweet 16 and a #6 seed in the Final Four
    1989: Duke played a #11 seed in the Sweet 16 and a #3 seed in the Final Four
    1990: Duke played a #7 seed in the Sweet 16 and a #4 seed in the Final Four
    1991: Duke played a #11 seed in the Sweet 16, a #4 seed in the Elite Eight, and a #3 seed in the championship game
    1992: Duke played a #6 seed in the championship game
    1994: Duke played a #6 seed in the Sweet 16 and a #3 seed in the Final Four
    1999: Duke played a #12 seed in the Sweet 16 and a #6 seed in the Elite Eight
    2001: Duke played a #6 seed in the Elite Eight and a #3 seed in the Final Four
    2004: Duke played a #7 seed in the Elite Eight
    2010: Duke played a #5 seed in the championship game
    2015: Duke played a #7 seed in the Final Four

    To sum up the above, in our 12 Final Fours, we played 21 games against teams more than one off the expected seed line (e.g., as a #1, playing a #5 seed instead of a #4 in the Sweet 16 would be "one off"). In contrast, in the 13 tournaments in which Duke lost in the Sweet 16 or the Elite Eight during K's tenure, we only played four games against teams more than one off the expected seed line. Coincidence or not, we've gone further in the tournaments when we haven't played the best teams potentially in our path.

    In fact, in our five championships, we only played against two #1 seeds (in theory, we could have played as many as eleven #1 seeds in those five tournaments), and the only championship run during which we played the overall #1 seed was 1991 vs. UNLV.

    To my knowledge K has never complained about beating subpar competition, winning situationally, or not getting the opportunity to beat the best during or after any of his Final Four runs. (At least not publicly.) Obviously, you play who's in front of you. It probably helps when they're not the best.
    Those are great stats. And I always respect your posts. But none of that contradicts what I said. I don't think K shies away from top tier competition. Intelligent minds can disagree, though I have never gotten the sense that he relishes lower level opposition.

  11. #2951
    Not sure if I知 the only one, but would love for this thread to get back to recruiting. 😃

  12. #2952
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedev_92 View Post
    Not sure if I知 the only one, but would love for this thread to get back to recruiting. 😃
    what are you, some kind of mind reader?

  13. #2953
    No new recruiting news? Let's go with this instead.

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]13505[/AThttps://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13505&d=1628712925TACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #2954
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NC Raised, DC Resident
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedev_92 View Post
    Not sure if I知 the only one, but would love for this thread to get back to recruiting. 😃
    Great idea, except this is the 2021 recruiting thread and the 2021 recruiting class is completely done, and the 2021 Duke recruits have been on campus for weeks. What 2021 recruiting news are you expecting here?

    Of course, it makes no sense to have the scheduling discussion in this thread when there are at least 1-3 other threads going about scheduling, but again, this thread on 2021 recruiting is all but history.
    Haters gonna hate.

  15. #2955
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Great idea, except this is the 2021 recruiting thread and the 2021 recruiting class is completely done, and the 2021 Duke recruits have been on campus for weeks. What 2021 recruiting news are you expecting here?
    Well it痴 not like I知 looking for a new recruit. What I pretty much expect is no activity. However, when I see that there痴 a new post I知 compelled to look to make sure nothing bad has happened! Who knows - someone from the class was hurt, somebody withdrew, etc

  16. #2956
    Maybe MOD's can close this thread and we can concentrate on 23, 24 etc.

  17. #2957
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    The scheduling conversation has been moved to the thread about Duke's schedule. Put another way, it has been...

    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  18. #2958
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The scheduling conversation has been moved to the thread about Duke's schedule. Put another way, it has been...

    My gosh, what is happening in that scene?? And which movie🍿 is that? Color me intrigued.

  19. #2959
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NW Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    My gosh, what is happening in that scene?? And which movie🍿 is that? Color me intrigued.
    Not a movie. It's from the Disney+ series "Loki". The guy is being "pruned". Excellent series, highly entertaining.
    -BuschDevil

    "...Man, who even now finds scarce breathing room on this vast globe, cannot retire from the Old World to some yet undiscovered continent, and wait for the slow action of such causes to replace, by a new creation, the Eden he has wasted".
    -George Perkins Marsh (1864)

  20. #2960
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is offline Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Emoni Bates to Memphis. Imagining the fury in East Lansing right now is major schadenfreude.

    Memphis may have the most NBA talent in the country now time to see if Penny Hardaway can coach it.
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Similar Threads

  1. 2018 Basketball Recruiting Thread
    By Duke95 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2886
    Last Post: 08-09-2018, 08:53 PM
  2. 2017 Basketball Recruiting Thread
    By Henderson in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4965
    Last Post: 12-06-2017, 05:02 PM
  3. 2016 Basketball Recruiting Thread
    By Ichabod Drain in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3515
    Last Post: 08-02-2016, 12:01 AM
  4. 2014 Basketball Recruiting thread
    By jnastasi in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3585
    Last Post: 10-24-2014, 11:00 PM
  5. 2012 Basketball Recruiting Thread
    By Osiagledknarf in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3572
    Last Post: 03-13-2012, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •