Page 145 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 2971
    The posters here are excellent with numbers and statistics and all should be commended for their efforts. But I believe the biggest stat that can't be ignored is the size of the heart. Lots of Duke (and other programs) have had over-achieving players that weren't projected to produce. Some unfortunately go to college and totally bust. Goldwire had heart. Where as Johnson had absolutely no heart whatsoever. Winslow had heart and played like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    The posters here are excellent with numbers and statistics and all should be commended for their efforts. But I believe the biggest stat that can't be ignored is the size of the heart. Lots of Duke (and other programs) have had over-achieving players that weren't projected to produce. Some unfortunately go to college and totally bust. Goldwire had heart. Where as Johnson had absolutely no heart whatsoever. Winslow had heart and played like it.
    How did Philly and Brooklyn do head to head this year? If I'm the Nets, I'm sort of wondering who is going to guard Embid.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    How did Philly and Brooklyn do head to head this year? If I'm the Nets, I'm sort of wondering who is going to guard Embid.
    Did you mean to post this in this thread? Seems more apt for the NBA playoffs thread.

To answer your question, Philadelphia won two out of three against Brooklyn. The home team won all three games. FWIW, Milwaukee also won two out of three against Brooklyn, with the home team also winning all three of those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Did you mean to post this in this thread? Seems more apt for the NBA playoffs thread.

To answer your question, Philadelphia won two out of three against Brooklyn. The home team won all three games. FWIW, Milwaukee also won two out of three against Brooklyn, with the home team also winning all three of those games.
    (this should obviously be moved to the NBA discussion thread)

Can you really extrapolate anything of meaning from the Nets regular season, since they played so few games with their core together?

Sure, Milwaukee and Philly having a regular season edge 2-1 may give them some confidence in a seven game series, but is there any relevance to how they would do at this point in the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Sure, Milwaukee and Philly having a regular season edge 2-1 may give them some confidence in a seven game series, but is there any relevance to how they would do at this point in the season?
    What if Milwaukee or Philly counters the return of a healthy Harden or Durant by adding Jalen Johnson's unstoppable per-40-minutes production?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    What if Milwaukee or Philly counters the return of a healthy Harden or Durant by adding Jalen Johnson's unstoppable per-40-minutes production?
    Touché

The space-time continuum would be shattered.

Man, this thread turned quicker than a Kyrie cross-over. It's taken me a while to catch up with DBR postings(beach vacation) but just let me add to the Johnson performance of last season. Not having a pre-season probably hurt Johnson as much as anyone last season. After changing schools and playing a limited high school schedule, getting preseason work with teammates would have helped him. Would it have helped his attitude, we'll never know. Something was there that caused his minutes go down. Some day, word may leak out and we'll know for certain what was behind it. As for now, next play!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post

Nope, I absolutely mean to post it in the other thread. How does that even happen?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Man, this thread turned quicker than a Kyrie cross-over. It's taken me a while to catch up with DBR postings(beach vacation) but just let me add to the Johnson performance of last season. Not having a pre-season probably hurt Johnson as much as anyone last season. After changing schools and playing a limited high school schedule, getting preseason work with teammates would have helped him. Would it have helped his attitude, we'll never know. Something was there that caused his minutes go down. Some day, word may leak out and we'll know for certain what was behind it. As for now, next play!
    I thought the thread turned quicker than a J.Johnson turnover.

Comments must be spread
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I hear you, CDu about Johnson's advanced stats and per 40/per 100 stats being strong but there is another stat that doesn't match with those numbers... minutes played. I know he was limited by injuries in the middle of the season, but his playing time when healthy wasn't indicative of a guy that Coach K thought was a really good player. K usually plays his best players as much as possible, to a fault. But Johnson only played 30+ minutes in 2 of his 13 games (Coppin St and @Pitt). Even when healthy, he was more likely to play less than 20 than he was to play more than 30. He wasn't even a starter in his final 3 games for Duke.

Compare that to DJ Steward, who played 30+ minutes in 15 games and didn't have a single game where he played less than 22 minutes... or Matthew Hurt who had only one game all year where he played less than 26 minutes. Heck, another wildly inconsistent and somewhat disappointing freshman, Jeremy Roach, seemed to play more consistent minutes than JJ did.

How does the fact that K did not want him on the floor all that much jive with your observation that JJ was better than guys who were out there 30+ minutes per game virtually every time out like Stanley, Trent, Rivers, Ingram, Tatum, Winslow, Barrett, and Bagley? Bottom line -- K just didn't see things from Johnson that made him want to maximize Johnson's minutes. That speaks volumes to me about how Johnson impacted winning and losing versus the many other guys you cited.
    Jalen Johnson was Duke's biggest recruited player disappointment since Chris Burgess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Jalen Johnson was Duke's biggest recruited player disappointment since Chris Burgess.
    Josh McRoberts says hello.

(Not suggesting he is more disappointing, but definitely in the conversation).

He was supposed to be a program-changing talent. He was not.

Josh never averaged better than 9 ppg or 5 rpg in his NBA career. Now, go ahead and guess how much money he made bouncing around 6 different teams in 11 seasons (and rarely appearing in more than about 50 games in a season).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Josh never averaged better than 9 ppg or 5 rpg in his NBA career. Now, go ahead and guess how much money he made bouncing around 6 different teams in 11 seasons (and rarely appearing in more than about 50 games in a season).
    I'm sure he's made his fair share of money. But his time at Duke was... not memorable for any good reasons.

To the original point, do you expect "JJ" to have a more productive NBA career than McBob?

Trevon Duval should be in the discussion. Best point guard in his class?

15 spots ahead of Trae Young.

https://sites.google.com/site/rsciho...ngs/2017-final

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Trevon Duval should be in the discussion. Best point guard in his class?

15 spots ahead of Trae Young.

https://sites.google.com/site/rsciho...ngs/2017-final
    I'm good with this. But I have an intense hatred of Trae Young and everything he stands for, so I am glad he is not a Duke alum. I believe Collin Sexton was rated just ahead of Trevon for the top spot though.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I'm good with this. But I have an intense hatred of Trae Young and everything he stands for, so I am glad he is not a Duke alum. I believe Collin Sexton was rated just ahead of Trevon for the top spot though.
    Duval was fifth, Sexton sixth.

I'm sure he's made his fair share of money. But his time at Duke was... not memorable for any good reasons.

To the original point, do you expect "JJ" to have a more productive NBA career than McBob?
    Just my own speculation, but I think Johnson either flames out due to issues between the ears, or he gets the mental part together and becomes a solid rotation player at minimum. Right now, I'd bet on the latter. He has skills. He just needs to be willing to learn from his mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duval was fifth, Sexton sixth.
    It was the other way around.

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Ba...oup=HighSchool