Page 136 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 2971
    In hindsight the fact that the Crystal Ball isn't 100% set for us this late into the recruiting stage is an obvious give-away that it's not us, because our staff or players usually leak the choice. The only times that we beat Crystal Ball is early decisions that come out of nowhere ala Paolo.

No surprise there. It seemed really implausible that he would pick another school with his dad sitting next to him. That would feel like a death sentence for his dad at UWM. If he was gonna choose Duke, it seemed like it needed to not be done on a nationally broadcast decision show.

Can't argue with the decision. He chose family and familiarity over Duke. Nothing wrong with that. No school is right for everyone. He'll get the chance to play for his dad, to be the star and solidify his draft stock, and be close to home. Obviously Duke would provide better competition, but it can't provide family and it can't provide close to home.

Really curious how I missed the announcement.

https://www.fayobserver.com/story/sp...ow/5038907001/

Patrick Baldwin Jr., the No. 4 high school basketball prospect in the nation, will make his college announcement tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. on SportsCenter.

I had ESPN News Sportscenter on... no Patrick Baldwin announcement. ESPN was showing First Take. Where did everyone watch the announcement?

Bummer he is not coming to Duke.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    In hindsight the fact that the Crystal Ball isn't 100% set for us this late into the recruiting stage is an obvious give-away that it's not us, because our staff or players usually leak the choice. The only times that we beat Crystal Ball is early decisions that come out of nowhere ala Paolo.
    Zion?

On a personal note, I see a lot of irony. My good friend’s son was only able to obtain one US athletic scholarship offer – and that was UW-M. To say that it was his least desirable option is an understatement. But when only one school in America offers you an athletic scholarship- what can you do.

PB can go anywhere and he chooses UW-M. So much for academic focus. High-level competition. Television profile. Admittedly, it would only be one year – but to live effectively at home at UW-M for your one year of college - pretty odd choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Is the announcement going to be on ESPN? I thought it was gonna be on Sportscenter, but my ESPN has first take. I have Sportscenter on ESPN News... Help!!!
    ESPN must have caught wind of his decision and decided to give him the UWM special... Regionally locked ESPN+ with 90 people streaming it.

All jokes aside, hope he has a great season and leads Wisconsin-Milwaukee to the dance!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Jason summed up the arguments very well. I just don't see how he is going to sit there and have his own father among his three final choices and not pick him. That's how I see this one playing out. We'll see in about 2 hours (the only certainty is that he will definitely not announce right at 10:30 a.m. EDT).
    Somehow the best prediction in this thread didn't pan out...he announced at about 10:34 a.m. EDT, which is about as prompt of a TV announcement as I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    PB can go anywhere and he chooses UW-M. So much for academic focus. High-level competition. Television profile. Admittedly, it would only be one year – but to live effectively at home at UW-M for your one year of college - pretty odd choice.
    When did he say he had an academic focus? And while living close to home seems strange to you, maybe he is very family-oriented and wants to be close to home. Or maybe he wants to take the one chance he'll get to play for his dad. I can only imagine the feeling of going to the NCAA tournament with your dad as coach.

Duke is a great place, and I wish everyone wanted to go there. But I can never begrudge someone for deciding for family over Duke.

My bad. First time I have tried to watch one of these live. Obviously I jinxed it.

had to watch endless droning about Lakers until I figured out it wasn’t on ESPN so I have already been punished.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Somehow the best prediction in this thread didn't pan out...he announced at about 10:34 a.m. EDT, which is about as prompt of a TV announcement as I've seen.
    OK. Everyone can relax and know who we have competing next season. And we are gonna be just fine! Go Duke!

I believe we wrote off this candidate to his father months ago; the strong efforts of our recruits reaching out to PBJ allowed us to keep the door open a smidge.

Thank you to the Duke recruits who showed Patrick a path to The Brotherhood that he ultimately chose not to travel.

It's really hard to deny your father, knowing if you go somewhere else he will be fired.
    Patrick Baldwin JR saved his father's job; after coaching his son next season, Patrick Baldwin SR will then be fired.
    Harsh but true.
    The next time we see PBJ on ESPN it will be at the 2022 NBA Draft.
    Best wishes chasing your dreams young man.

Our Duke team is now set, with a focus on winning and a goal of a national championship.
    Here. We. Go.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIE V(A) View Post
    As a father, you want what is best for your kids (not what is best for you). Duke offers so much more than staying home and the most opportunity to improve as a player and as a brand.

I say it's DUKE. Best of luck to the young man whatever he decides.
    I am wrong AGAIN. I thought things were supposed to be different in 2021. Tom Brady wins yet another Super Bowl, and my predictions continue to fail. DOUBLE UGH! Hope it works out well for him and his family. Onward.

If we can't trust Nick Brazzoni who can we trust?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    When did he say he had an academic focus? And while living close to home seems strange to you, maybe he is very family-oriented and wants to be close to home. Or maybe he wants to take the one chance he'll get to play for his dad. I can only imagine the feeling of going to the NCAA tournament with your dad as coach.

Duke is a great place, and I wish everyone wanted to go there. But I can never begrudge someone for deciding for family over Duke.

I said earlier that I would not take issue if he went anywhere – Duke does not have to be his choice. Frankly, as a father I would absolutely never want my son to stay at a low tier [difficult to assess what tier UW-M is] school rather than attending a school that has so much more to offer. And if the sole purpose is to stay to save his father‘s job, that is a much longer nuanced discussion.

There are thousands of kids who are family oriented and they still go to college away from home. So I do not find that particularly persuasive. It is hard to imagine that he is staying at home for any reason other than to save his father‘s job. One can postulate other reasons, but pretty difficult to find them compelling.

Ultimately – it is his decision. And I do respect his right to make his own decision But sure seems like a poor one.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    If we can't trust Nick Brazzoni who can we trust?????????????
    Nick may have been correct in his speculation. If PBJ had chosen Duke then UMW was going to fire his dad!! This was the only way for his dad to continue coaching at UMW for one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Zion?
    That one is an outlier of outliers. Not just talking about the player.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    Tampering, UMW coach has been giving him money for 18 years.
    AND ONE. Made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Predictions are in shambles... That was the most shocking thing about it!

Probably sounds like sour grapes but I truly didn’t want him to commit. I know shooting is a need but I don’t want Wendell playing point guard or on the bench. We need some experience out there directing traffic on defense. There is only one ball. Duke is stacked. Let’s play.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Probably sounds like sour grapes but I truly didn’t want him to commit. I know shooting is a need but I don’t want Wendell playing point guard or on the bench. We need some experience out there directing traffic on defense. There is only one ball. Duke is stacked. Let’s play.
    Same. I thought our starting lineup without PBJ is better than one with PBJ. We needed playmaking from guard spots and PBJ offers none of that, and would in fact take away.