Page 135 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 2971
    Jason summed up the arguments very well. I just don't see how he is going to sit there and have his own father among his three final choices and not pick him. That's how I see this one playing out. We'll see in about 2 hours (the only certainty is that he will definitely not announce right at 10:30 a.m. EDT).

Note that PBS' page says that he has four kids, and I think that PBJ is the oldest. So wanting to play near his family, including younger siblings, could also factor into this decision. Obviously, if this is a really important factor, he could have also put schools like Wisconsin or Marquette on the list, but just throwing it out there, but in some ways that would also be even more of a slap in the face to his dad to say "I wanted to stay near home, but my dad wasn't good enough."

Every father-son relationship is very different. I know some dads who love coaching their kid. And I know some who would never do it. I coached my son in kindergarten soccer, loved the experience, and decided it didn't work for us going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Note that PBS' page says that he has four kids, and I think that PBJ is the oldest. So wanting to play near his family, including younger siblings, could also factor into this decision. Obviously, if this is a really important factor, he could have also put schools like Wisconsin or Marquette on the list, but just throwing it out there, but in some ways that would also be even more of a slap in the face to his dad to say "I wanted to stay near home, but my dad wasn't good enough."

Every father-son relationship is very different. I know some dads who love coaching their kid. And I know some who would never do it. I coached my son in kindergarten soccer, loved the experience, and decided it didn't work for us going forward.
    As an argument against the “he’s already learned everything he is going to from his dad” line of thinking, it’s possible that he has never played on a team coached by his dad, so him going to Milwaukee would be a new experience for both of them.

Which ever school PBJ choses, I hope nothing but the best for him.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    PBSr is in hot water at UWM. Is having his son for a year going to do anything besides give him another year before the water boils again?

Yeah, I'm biased, but if his contract is not being renewed, how much will landing his son help? Having his son play for Coach K may be more in the family's interest in the long run.
    Maybe he will pick UWM and play this coming season. Then after the season is over, he'll tell everyone that he's not made his mind up about going into the NBA draft. He will then wait until the very last minute/second hoping to save his dad's job once again.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    If Duke lands Baldwin Jr., does anyone think Duke would have the top recruiting class in the country going until next season?

Banchero, Griffin, Keels, Blakes, Baldwin, Jr.?
    Yes. For reference, 247 lists us as the #3 recruiting class without Baldwin, and even that is somewhat of an argument in quantity over quality (Michigan is #1 but has a bunch of recruits (six commits, but "only" two 5-stars vs our four commits with three 5-stars). Adding a top-5 recruit to that mix would certainly push us to #1, with four 5-star recruits and a 4-star).

That said, I'm not expecting Baldwin to pick Duke. Like DBA, I have trouble seeing him pick anyone but UWM with the UWM coach sitting right next to him.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Jason summed up the arguments very well. I just don't see how he is going to sit there and have his own father among his three final choices and not pick him. That's how I see this one playing out. We'll see in about 2 hours (the only certainty is that he will definitely not announce right at 10:30 a.m. EDT).
    I tend to agree with this. I still would not be shocked if he chose Duke but the setup does seem like it favors Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'll add this to the mix. If it were my dad/son he/I would say, "It was my son's decision to play for Duke and Coach K because he felt that would be the best for him and his career. I treat him as an adult and I told him his decision should in no way be tied to my professional career, that I love him and support him whatever he decides to do. I didn't put any pressure on him to join my team, it's something he considered doing for me, and I respect his decision. I'll be fine. I look forward to his growth as a player and a person under the tutelage of Coach K and his excellent staff at Duke University."
    I have no serious skin in this game – as I can easily live with PB going elsewhere. Not that I do not want him to come to Duke - I do. But if he does not, that is fine.

On a personal level, if I was a coach at a tier 3 college and had a son who is a top five player, I would never allow him to play for me. In this case, the only logical justification for him to go to UW-M is to try to save his dad’s job. And I do get how that could be very important. But that is not in the best interest of the son - in these circumstances.

Putting aside the competition which would be disadvantageous to PB, there are so many inherent conflicts with having your father be the coach. Obvious ones such as preferential treatment. Or perceived preferential treatment. How do you discipline your son - do you discipline him more because he is your son because you want to avoid a negative perception? Or less because he is your son and the star player.

How do you avoid other players feeling that there is preferential treatment – even if there’s not.

I also do not understand any perceived desire to play for your father. I would not have wanted to work for my father in his practice. I would rather work elsewhere and get his tutelage as needed. Nepotism is not a positive thing.

It is just a bad idea.

As a father, you want what is best for your kids (not what is best for you). Duke offers so much more than staying home and the most opportunity to improve as a player and as a brand.

I say it's DUKE. Best of luck to the young man whatever he decides.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yes. For reference, 247 lists us as the #3 recruiting class without Baldwin, and even that is somewhat of an argument in quantity over quality (Michigan is #1 but has a bunch of recruits (six commits, but "only" two 5-stars vs our four commits with three 5-stars). Adding a top-5 recruit to that mix would certainly push us to #1, with four 5-star recruits and a 4-star).

That said, I'm not expecting Baldwin to pick Duke. Like DBA, I have trouble seeing him pick anyone but UWM with the UWM coach sitting right next to him.
    The 247Sports team recruiting rankings are kind of insane. They were built for college football, where quantity is nearly as valuable as quality. Duke is the only team in the country with 3 5-star recruits and has the #2, #13, #20, and #101 recruit in the 247Sports composite.

Michigan has the #1 class with the #6, #16, #41, #47, #110, and #143 recruits. Good class, but Duke has a higher-ranked player for the top 3 guys. Are you telling me having the #47 and #143 recruit, guys that will hardly play in the upcoming season, makes Michigan the best recruiting class? Only 2 of those players are going to get significant minutes next season and then it's anyone's guess is the rest will be impact players down the line.

Tennessee has the #2 class with the #8, #19, #40, #60, and #218 recruits. Again, not seeing how that stacks up with Duke's top 3 and then the last two guys are going to combine to get maybe as much PT next year as Jaylen Blakes. Does having the #218 recruit in the nation push them ahead of Duke?

I think Duke has the most high-impact recruiting class for next season. If by some miracle PBJ commits to Duke, it will unquestionably be the #1 recruiting class in the nation. That being said, what matters is how they perform during the season.

I realize that there seems to be a growing consensus that Baldwin joins his father and that I'm likely wrong, but I will be very surprised if he does so. I think it would be harder to turn down a chance to play for Coach K and an opportunity to play for a hyped Duke team in nationally televised games against Gonzaga, Kentucky, likely Michigan, UNC, etc. I don't expect Baldwin Sr. to retain his head coaching job past this year, but if he did I can absolutely guarantee that no player he recruits to the University of Milwaukee is going to question if they should come because his son chose Duke and Coach K over him. I think everyone realizes this and it would not be a "slap in the face" (as has been suggested elsewhere on the internet) to his dad to see his son choose Duke. In fact, I think seeing his son go to a basketball blueblood and play for one of, if not the, greatest coach of all time would be a blessing for the family and a validation of all of the hard work their son has done to get where he is.

I realize Duke isn't for everyone, but there is a very, very real difference between the experience and development a player would get at Duke and UM. If he is at UM he is going to play for a coach he has already learned from his entire life, practice against guys he likely has been playing with as a high schooler, and play against competition that is inferior to what he has played in AAU ball. All so that he can, supposedly, save his dad's job (which I don't think is likely to happen). I understand why Baldwin Sr. is on the hot seat, but I can't imagine wanting to sacrifice one year in college for a school that is unwilling to make a commitment to my father beyond this one year that remains on his contract. He would be trading games versus UNC, Gonzaga and Kentucky for Cleveland State, Purdue Fort Wayne and IUPUI. I can't think of any similar situation where a kid as highly ranked as Baldwin has chosen to play at such a smaller (basketball-wise) program. Adonal Foyle is the closest I can remember, but there were extenuating circumstances there and he was a different kid who seemed to value academics as much as the basketball experience. It is going to be kind of amazing if he does choose UM.

The most amazing thing about all of this is that there is no incoming flood of late crystal ball picks for Baldwin from those who have heard his decision leak and are eager to have on the record that they predicted where he would choose. Even Andrew Slater hasn't posted a cryptic tweet tipping his hand that he knows where Baldwin is headed.

Were it not for the pandemic, I think he would have picked Duke back in the fall. He's been a fan of playing at Duke for a long time. It won't be a miracle when he picks Duke today.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Maybe he will pick UWM and play this coming season. Then after the season is over, he'll tell everyone that he's not made his mind up about going into the NBA draft. He will then wait until the very last minute/second hoping to save his dad's job once again.

GoDuke!
    After this next year, his dad won't NEED a job as his son will be making millions.

Is the announcement going to be on ESPN? I thought it was gonna be on Sportscenter, but my ESPN has first take. I have Sportscenter on ESPN News... Help!!!

Milwaukee...

best of luck to him !!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

It’s UWM for Baldwin, Jr.

Everyone is entitled to their decision. Even if it is a bad one.

Works out better for us. Our starting line-up is perfect as is.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Milwaukee...

best of luck to him !!
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    It’s UWM for Baldwin, Jr.
    Well, that's that. Good luck to him, hope he has a great season in Milwaukee.

Have to think Duke's roster is pretty much set at this point.

Tampering, UMW coach has been giving him money for 18 years.