Page 128 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It certainly seems like evidence that he isn't coming. I suspect we've had cases in the past where a player was added after we "announced" jersey numbers. But that's probably been more like cases where guys reclassified during the summer rather than the more normal recruits.

It's early May, and we have had guys announce in mid May within the past decade (e.g., Jefferson, Duval); I can't recall if the team waited until after those guys announced to do jersey numbers or not.
    Add Bolden to the list: May 19. Amile & Duval were May 15. A friend told me that Amile and Bolden were after Jersey #s were announced, but I haven’t gone back to verify that...(Bagley comes to mind as well, but was a re-class as you point out).

A strange one to be sure. People in the ether insisting its Duke and Duke acting like he’s not coming...

(Edit: DBA beat me to it. Looks like Bolden was post-Jersey #s being announced)
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 05-07-2021 at 11:05 AM. Reason: DBA

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Coincidently, the Duke MBB twitter account released jersey numbers for the Class of 2016 on May 6th. A few days later, Marques Bolden joined the class.

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/728718705937485825
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Add Bolden to the list: May 19. Amile & Duval were May 15. A friend told me that Amile and Bolden were after Jersey #s were announced, but I haven’t gone back to verify that...(Bagley comes to mind as well, but was a re-class as you point out).

A strange one to be sure. People in the ether insisting its Duke and Duke acting like he’s not coming...

(Edit: DBA beat me to it. Looks like Bolden was post-Jersey #s being announced)
    Thanks. So, yeah, what our Mountain man friend said. It's probably not a sign at all, and definitely nothing "official".

Thanks. So, yeah, what our Mountain man friend said. It's probably not a sign at all, and definitely nothing "official".
    Well, those are officially their numbers. My take on what's happening is that the teams that run the GoDuke.com website and social media account are not connected to the people running recruitment and have a schedule for posts and updates and such.

Well, those are officially their numbers. My take on what's happening is that the teams that run the GoDuke.com website and social media account are not connected to the people running recruitment and have a schedule for posts and updates and such.
    Yes, official numbers, no official Baldwin status.

But yeah, I think you're right; the media side of the enterprise isn't necessarily in lock-step with the recruiting side of the enterprise.

Well, that and nothing the media side has presented precludes there subsequently being roster changes (similar to what happened with the roster update prior to Coleman's departure).

A+ level trolling from the @DukeMBB twitter account in this pic of Banchero, AJ, and Chet Holmgren: https://twitter.com/DukeBlueMBB/stat...91394273021952
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A+ level trolling from the @DukeMBB twitter account in this pic of Banchero, AJ, and Chet Holmgren: https://twitter.com/DukeBlueMBB/stat...91394273021952
    Not actually that account, there's no way the Duke staff would allow that kind of trolling. It's @DukeBlueMBB, some fan page.

nada

I have checked twitter a few times a day for a week now on Baldwin. It has not sped up his announcement, sadly.

There's also nothing useful on twitter with regard to Baldwin, except I've realized if you set up a twitter handle just for this one recruit, you may need another hobby.

@PBJtoDuke needs to get into needlepoint or cooking or something that doesnt involve hoops recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    (I probably should have used the /s signifier with my post about him.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    Nope, no need. Some of us can figure it out (some of the time) and the rest keep things lively.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I agree there was no need, and i knew the post was sarcasm. Ironically, my post was the one that apparently was misinterpreted. It was meant only to underscore the point that Westbrook has been doing incredible things.
    Lol - I think ultrarunner is right, we should roll with the ambiguity. I didn’t so much think you (rsvman) were missing my sarcasm - I was just explaining my position in case I hadn’t been clear. I’m starting to feel like Annie Hall awkwardly trying to explain her previous awkward utterance - so I’ll shut up now.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Seriously? That’s not the @DukeMBB account...

Yes, official numbers, no official Baldwin status.

But yeah, I think you're right; the media side of the enterprise isn't necessarily in lock-step with the recruiting side of the enterprise.

Well, that and nothing the media side has presented precludes there subsequently being roster changes (similar to what happened with the roster update prior to Coleman's departure).
    Not to go full tin-foil, but there are those that would argue they actually ARE in step and the posts by Duke are an intentional ruse to throw people off the scent (likely at the request of the PBJ camp who want to heighten the suspense).

My personal view is somewhat in the middle: those in charge (K & Co.) are certainly aware of what the media side is doing. But they are letting them continue with ‘business as usual’ whether b/c a) PBJ isn’t coming, b) PBJ is coming and has asked Duke not to leak/throw folks off the scent, c) they have no idea if he’s coming and are continuing with biz as usual.

Either way, I think the left hand (recruiting) is aware of what the right hand (media) is doing...but right hand takes orders from the left hand and is sometimes/often in the dark about what the left hand is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Seriously? That’s not the @DukeMBB account...

Either way, I think the left hand (recruiting) is aware of what the right hand (media) is doing...but right hand takes orders from the left hand and is sometimes/often in the dark about what the left hand is doing.
    So, are they amphibious or not?🤔

I'll start with "get off my lawn"...

Many folks on this board may not have survived recruiting in the late 80s and early 90s when you read about who was being recruited by Duke in the ACC Handbook and the "Poop" Sheet...actual hard copy versions....

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    So, are they amphibious or not?🤔
    It’s a state of mind

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I agree there was no need, and i knew the post was sarcasm. Ironically, my post was the one that apparently was misinterpreted. It was meant only to underscore the point that Westbrook has been doing incredible things.
    Agreed on Westbrook. He's been astounding. And, I thought your post was pretty straightforward on that.
    The sequence of posts just tickled my funny bone.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I'll start with "get off my lawn"...

Many folks on this board may not have survived recruiting in the late 80s and early 90s when you read about who was being recruited by Duke in the ACC Handbook and the "Poop" Sheet...actual hard copy versions...
    I loved the ACC Handbook. Bought it every year. MarkD, what a different world recruiting news was. I remember driving home from a conference in Raleigh when it was announced on the radio that Danny Ferry was coming to Duke. I think I yelled happily for the next twenty miles.

Great to see. This kid is going to be so, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I loved the ACC Handbook. Bought it every year. MarkD, what a different world recruiting news was. I remember driving home from a conference in Raleigh when it was announced on the radio that Danny Ferry was coming to Duke. I think I yelled happily for the next twenty miles.
    If you lived near Raleigh, you waited for one of Gary Dornburg's recruiting shows on WPTF-AM. Sometimes Bob Gibbons, sometimes Thad Mumau, sometimes others whose names elude me at present.

Barry Jacobs' Fans Guide

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Can't hear about the ACC Handbook without thinking of my yearly pilgrimage to the local grocery publications aisle for Barry Jacobs' Fans Guide to ACC Basketball. My recollection is that most players and nearly all ACC starters each got a full page write-up, including their personal advance stat of that time, Jacobs' player performance/efficiency rating.

I remember being obsessed with finding ways to improve upon his formula (my efforts, for some reason, often involved lightly massaging the variables until the best Duke players appeared better that the best Tar Heels). And related, did anyone else play ACC-tion Basketball back in the mid-1980s?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    159!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hexi-decimally, that is)

Go Duke!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One nice thing about the ACC Handbook, Poop Shoot oops Sheet, Athlon, etc., is that in that era, I wasn’t checking the DBR and espn.com every hour to see what Patrick Baldwin Junior was going to do!
    Speaking of PB&J, in my considered and unbiased (/s) opinion he should come to Duke, primarily for two reasons: first, it’s freaking Duke (note the lack of bias). Second, if he hasn’t learned all there is to learn from his dad already, he hasn’t been paying attention! That’s a somewhat tongue-in-cheek opinion, but also not. Fingers crossed!
    pDirt T’87
    Last edited by kidA; 05-08-2021 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typo

Major development in the Patrick Baldwin recruitment saga. It appears his father is going to be fired at Milwaukee. Well that is a terrible thing for the family, in terms of recruiting news it’s a pretty big development for Duke.

https://twitter.com/nickbrazzoni/sta...391166466?s=21
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?