Page 12 of 149 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "I truly fear that the multi-year player at a school is going to become a thing of the past" Evans

We can expand the "Hot stove" thread to college basketball.Free agents?? Ugh.

Yeah, it is increasingly looking like the wild wild west of free transfer is coming. It is fairly likely to be pass this April. It will completely change the landscape of college sports and could really upend team building.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...evenue-sports/

-Jason "I truly fear that the multi-year player at a school is going to become a thing of the past" Evans
    I think the plan includes a one time transfer without sitting out a year. So the kid hoping for the upgraded dorm room better make the perfect transfer decision.

Yeah, it is increasingly looking like the wild wild west of free transfer is coming. It is fairly likely to be pass this April. It will completely change the landscape of college sports and could really upend team building.
    This would certainly affect the top programs, as some of our bench guys would leave to get more playing time at other schools. But the reverse is true too; top players at smaller schools would have an opportunity to leave and get more exposure at bigger programs. Can you imagine if K had free reign to pluck players off of other schools' rosters? I honestly think this will hurt the smaller schools more than help. Someone made this point a couple years ago when the transfer rule was first behind discussed - yes it hurts Duke to lose their 7th or 8th best player. But it hurts Elon or Wofford even more to lose their BEST player.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    This would certainly affect the top programs, as some of our bench guys would leave to get more playing time at other schools. But the reverse is true too; top players at smaller schools would have an opportunity to leave and get more exposure at bigger programs. Can you imagine if K had free reign to pluck players off of other schools' rosters? I honestly think this will hurt the smaller schools more than help. Someone made this point a couple years ago when the transfer rule was first behind discussed - yes it hurts Duke to lose their 7th or 8th best player. But it hurts Elon or Wofford even more to lose their BEST player.
    With grad transfers, isn't this already the case? Some of the top teams in college basketball this year feature grad transfer that didn't have to sit out before playing their final year at SDSU, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. Duke and Coach K haven't taken advantage of that situation yet and, frankly, I don't see it changing all that much. Most of the top players at a Wofford or Elon are upperclassman that, with minimal planning, already go the grad transfer route.

My guess is that guys like Rodney Hood that were at high major programs or schools where the coach leaves will get the biggest benefit from this rule. When a high major recruit has to cope with the coach getting fired or taking a bigger job, the former McDonald's All-Americans aren't going to have to sit out a year. It will be open season on players from programs going through a coaching change. Those players aren't going to have the sit-out penalty anymore. And frankly, I think that's great news for the players. Why should they have to stay at the school anymore when the guy that recruited them is already out the door?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    No sources. Just what I have been reading from guys like Evans, Daniels and others.

Just curious too about Kentucky and Banchero and Chandler. Those two have said they could be teaming up together in college and if they did, they would be quite the duo.

The other thing I was asking is if Keels and Christie are A and B or is the plan to add both.
    Credit to Jaks19! There is some 2021 recruiting news tonight. Top forward prospect Patrick Baldwin, Jr. is in attendance for the game tonight against Virginia Tech.

Here's a long write-up of Baldwin from the Chicago Tribune. I was not aware that Baldwin Sr. was an assistant at Northwestern under Chris Collins before he took over at UW Milwaukee. Also of note, Baldwin Jr. is not just good friends with Jalen Johnson, he is also close with Max Christie.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Credit to Jaks19! There is some 2021 recruiting news tonight. Top forward prospect Patrick Baldwin, Jr. is in attendance for the game tonight against Virginia Tech.

Here's a long write-up of Baldwin from the Chicago Tribune. I was not aware that Baldwin Sr. was an assistant at Northwestern under Chris Collins before he took over at UW Milwaukee. Also of note, Baldwin Jr. is not just good friends with Jalen Johnson, he is also close with Max Christie.
    Yes, these guys need to know about our popular Friends and Family Plan...(I think they do, fingers crossed).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

My understanding is that AJ Griffin's dad, Adrian, was also an assistant coach for the Bulls for a number of years, so that while for the past few seasons AJ's been in the New York area, he mostly grew up in Chicago -- thus, I'd imagine he would also know Baldwin and Christie fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Just realized Jalen Johnson's dad's name is Rod.

Rod. Johnson.

Ha.
    Thanks, Beavis!

Baldwin did sit with the Crazies last night.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Baldwin did sit with the Crazies last night.
    WTH? And no scoldings?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    My understanding is that AJ Griffin's dad, Adrian, was also an assistant coach for the Bulls for a number of years, so that while for the past few seasons AJ's been in the New York area, he mostly grew up in Chicago -- thus, I'd imagine he would also know Baldwin and Christie fairly well.
    Griffin played for the Bulls for a short time and coached from 2010-2015. As a lifelong Bulls fan, I was extra excited to see his youngest son commit to Duke.

As for his son, he would have been in middle school when he left the Bulls. Chicago is a big city. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Baldwin, Christie, and Griffin have known each other for a long time. But I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Griffin doesn't know the other two as well.

Let's just hope they form a tight bond one day, like brothers.

Baldwin attended the Duke game and the next day also went over to see UNC.
    Although many feel that Baldwin will end up at Duke, this is not a done deal.

It would be great to have the Chicago area connection with Griffin, Baldwin and Christie all in a Duke uni

Also, looking at the potential roster for next season, if more than one of Stanley, Moore and Hurt return, one of or more of these 2021 recruits will go else where

Also, looking at the potential roster for next season, if more than one of Stanley, Moore and Hurt return, one of or more of these 2021 recruits will go else where
    Either you're in the wrong recruiting thread, or you're talking about 2 of Stanley/Moore/Hurt staying for 2 more years. Those guys would have to be juniors to play with the high school class of 2021.

Honestly, I have no idea what you are talking about. I would be pleased if two of Stanley, Moore and Hurt did return for the 2020-2021 season. But the 2021 recruits will play in the 2021-2022 season. If you are talking about 2021-2022, I would be ecstatic to have two of them available. Wow! Three seasons at Duke for Stanley, Moore and Hurt.

Perhaps you are talking about the 2020 recruits, who already have signed their letters of commitment, and the 2020-2021 season?

Kindly,
    Sage
    'If "they" would only move New Year's Day to November 1, we basketball fans wouldn't have to deal with these confusing hyphenated years. Heck, November 1 is already a holy day (Touts-Saints Jour -- All Saints, etc.) like New Year's Day (Feast of the Circumcision)'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

My mistake. I did mean 2020.

Yes, the players have signed NLOI's but that doesn't mean that they can't request to get out of it. See Boogie Ellis once Tre came back and Stanley committed. I feel that in this day and age of recruiting and the players (and their family or trusted persons) egos, that players will opt to leave if they don't see a means to achieve what they want. Carter stayed when Bagley committed, but look how vocal his mother has been since and how negatively she became.

For many of these kids, the roster and positional overlapping and/or potential impact on game minutes are criteria for selecting a college program. Agree with it or not.

My mistake. I did mean 2020.

Yes, the players have signed NLOI's but that doesn't mean that they can't request to get out of it. See Boogie Ellis once Tre came back and Stanley committed. I feel that in this day and age of recruiting and the players (and their family or trusted persons) egos, that players will opt to leave if they don't see a means to achieve what they want. Carter stayed when Bagley committed, but look how vocal his mother has been since and how negatively she became.

For many of these kids, the roster and positional overlapping and/or potential impact on game minutes are criteria for selecting a college program. Agree with it or not.
    As long as Carey is gone after this season, we'll have scholarships available for all 6 players who signed LOIs. Buckmire would go back to walk-on status to bring it to 13 total. So, Stanley, Moore and Hurt can ALL return next season and we'd be okay from a scholarship perspective. But your point of positional overlap is true, and who knows what would happen in that case. Our recruiting class is very balanced across positions. The frontcourt seems to be where the need likely will be.

Listen, I am just stating my opinion.

It would be ideal for Hurt to return, to add some more muscle/weight and work on his agility. But as others have mentioned, he has been OAD or wants to be since he was a high level HS recruit.

As a long time coach myself, I don't question how other coaches build their teams or who they recruit. But for me, I'd like to have an upperclassmen come in that can play the 5 and I like to have a 4 star type wing that is athletic, hard working and touch to be added. Neither AOC or Joey defend well and both of their inconsistencies are issues as far as their contributions game in and game out. Granted both bring a lot or talent and ability to score. A player like Stanley would be good even if a 3 star that K could develop.

Also, it would be very interesting to see a roster where Hurt & Moore returned and Kuminga reclassed and committed to Duke because in that situation would K go small with Hurt at the 5, Kuminga and Johnson as the 2 forwards, Moore and the 2 and Roach as the PG... Again, would that team be able to defend in the post?

Keels to Visit Duke for Matchup with UNC

Prolific recruiting tweeter Jake Weingarten tweeted out a couple of days ago that top SG prospect Trevor Keels will be in attendance for Duke's matchup with UNC as part of an official visit. He will be joined by his high school teammate and Class of 2020 commit Jeremy Roach.

Keels is a high level shot maker and has rising up the recruiting rankings. He's been offered by just about everyone and has interest from several ACC and Big East teams. Keels seems to be favorable towards Duke from what I can tell, but so is Max Christie, another 5-star shooting guard from the Chicago area. It will be interesting to see if Duke could somehow convince both to consider the Blue Devils.

Here's a highlight video of Keels from over the summer.

^ Yeah, anyone know if Keels and Christie are mutually exclusive?

Not sure who I like more, both are very impressive.