Page 118 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Dissent...

I don't watch college ball because I want to see the guys who are almost good enough to play in the pros. I watch because I care about how Duke will do relative to other college basketball team in the ACC and nationally. So long as the players don't look like buffoons out there, it really does not matter to me how close or far these guys are from being pros. Chop off the 30 best high schoolers every year and I'm still going to be very interested in whether Duke or Kentucky gets #31 and am going to obsess over how player ranked #43 fits on next year's Duke roster and how he will fare against Carolina's similar recruit who is ranked #47.
    I concur. Competitive games will still be played, probably without an extreme decline in quality. If the league is successful in following years, it could result in college players staying in college longer and limit OAD’s. As a result, there would be more experienced players in college, further lessening the decline in quality.

Also, sporked you for your previous post about not having a minutes discussion until PBJ’s destination is determined ... I would even be in favor of eliminating minutes discussions completely. Or at least having a dedicated thread for it, without it bleeding over into other threads. That way I could totally ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by WillJ View Post
    Overtime Sports just raised $80 million from, among others, Jeff Bezos, Drake, and Devin Booker. One part of its business model is a pro sports league...for high school students. Basic idea seams to be that 30-40 rising juniors and seniors would "enroll" and get paid $100k, and get professional training. They would also benefit financially from any marketing of their likenesses. Now *this* could be the death of college basketball as we know it.
    Dissent...

I don't watch college ball because I want to see the guys who are almost good enough to play in the pros. I watch because I care about how Duke will do relative to other college basketball team in the ACC and nationally. So long as the players don't look like buffoons out there, it really does not matter to me how close or far these guys are from being pros. Chop off the 30 best high schoolers every year and I'm still going to be very interested in whether Duke or Kentucky gets #31 and am going to obsess over how player ranked #43 fits on next year's Duke roster and how he will fare against Carolina's similar recruit who is ranked #47.

I agree that college basketball might be better, depending on how things develop. But a league like this could have a big impact on some of the high-end high school teams, whose kids need to meet high school eligibility rules. And it may shake up some of what goes on with the traveling basketball teams as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I feel confident in saying Jeremy Roach is going to start the season at PG for Duke. Coach K went after no other top point guard (under the assumption that Jaylen Blakes is going to be a backup for at least a year) in the transfer portal or the Class of 2021. That, to me, is a big sign that Coach K is putting his trust in Jeremy Roach.

Now, will he be the starter all season? That's a different question.
    I'm not sure the assumption will hold true. If Blakes is decent with the ball and doesn't make a lot of mistakes, even if his offense is not spectacular, but he is a really good defender, as was mentioned in the Blakes thread, I could see him earning the lion's share of the minutes. We are going to have offense creators on the floor, but we might be lacking in defense, particularly in on-ball/perimeter defense. If Blakes proves to be above average at that, he might get those minutes. Roach's offensive style is to be a driver but he didn't really turn those into assists, and his spot-up shooting was just OK. I think there might be a legitimate competition for floor time between these two, even fairly early on, just because of how the team is put together.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I feel confident in saying Jeremy Roach is going to start the season at PG for Duke. Coach K went after no other top point guard (under the assumption that Jaylen Blakes is going to be a backup for at least a year) in the transfer portal or the Class of 2021. That, to me, is a big sign that Coach K is putting his trust in Jeremy Roach.

Now, will he be the starter all season? That's a different question.
    I'm hoping Roach improves his point guard skills and he gets most of the minutes at that position. I don't want Wendell at the point for extended minutes because his ball handling and his decision making skills have not been very good. He has shown he can be ok driving the ball to the basket from short distances. In my opinion, his defense while good on SGs, SFs and PFs will not be good against point guards. If Blakes is as good defensively as we've heard, he may get a few minutes backing up Roach. If Roach can't get the job done, Coach K may be forced to play a lot of zone this season. Especially if we get a surprise from young Mr. Baldwin.

Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'm not sure the assumption will hold true. If Blakes is decent with the ball and doesn't make a lot of mistakes, even if his offense is not spectacular, but he is a really good defender, as was mentioned in the Blakes thread, I could see him earning the lion's share of the minutes. We are going to have offense creators on the floor, but we might be lacking in defense, particularly in on-ball/perimeter defense. If Blakes proves to be above average at that, he might get those minutes. Roach's offensive style is to be a driver but he didn't really turn those into assists, and his spot-up shooting was just OK. I think there might be a legitimate competition for floor time between these two, even fairly early on, just because of how the team is put together.
    I think the #1 skill that's going to get minutes for any of our guards next season is consistent 3 point shooting. I'm picturing Jeremy doing shooting drills with Jon and Nolan all summer long. If he can improve that stroke from 3, which we saw glimpses of last year, he's the clear winner at PG. The 3 point shot is this team's need right now. Lots of ?s right now in terms of shooting the ball: how consistent can Griffin be from 3? Will Baldwin come and if so, how well can he shoot the 3? Keels could shoot in high school, what about the ACC? How much can Jeremy improve his shot in the offseason? Can Blakes knock down open 3s? Will Wendell's 3 point shot improve at all? All of these are completely unknown regarding shooting for this team. It's nice to know a guy CAN make a 3, but I want someone to emerge as a RELIABLE shooter. Whoever it is should have some really clean looks considering the other weapons. A consistent 3 ball shooter to go along with the post players, drivers, and mid-range shooters on this team would be devastating.

"A consistent 3 ball shooter to go along with the post players, drivers, and mid-range shooters on this team would be devastating."

So would most any team.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    I think the #1 skill that's going to get minutes for any of our guards next season is consistent 3 point shooting. I'm picturing Jeremy doing shooting drills with Jon and Nolan all summer long. If he can improve that stroke from 3, which we saw glimpses of last year, he's the clear winner at PG. The 3 point shot is this team's need right now. Lots of ?s right now in terms of shooting the ball: how consistent can Griffin be from 3? Will Baldwin come and if so, how well can he shoot the 3? Keels could shoot in high school, what about the ACC? How much can Jeremy improve his shot in the offseason? Can Blakes knock down open 3s? Will Wendell's 3 point shot improve at all? All of these are completely unknown regarding shooting for this team. It's nice to know a guy CAN make a 3, but I want someone to emerge as a RELIABLE shooter. Whoever it is should have some really clean looks considering the other weapons. A consistent 3 ball shooter to go along with the post players, drivers, and mid-range shooters on this team would be devastating.
    The team is STACKED offensively next year. Banchero looks to be amazing and we know Williams and AJ aren't slouches either. An improved Moore, Keel's shooting, and an experienced John will all help.

What is still a big unknown is defense. So I believe that, for the PG role, defense > 3pt shooting. Don't get me wrong, 3pt shooting, playmaking, and ball handling are important. But defense is going to be the most critical.

Roach is more than capable. Given a year of college ball defense (HS defenses are pretty awful), the advantage goes to Roach. But if Blakes is the second coming of Tre Jones on defense, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blakes get the lion's share at the 1.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I’m very excited about Blakes, but with Roach and Moore and Keels all on the roster, I’ll be surprised if he gets more than spot minutes at PG as a freshman. If he does, he’s definitely outperformed his HS ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    "A consistent 3 ball shooter to go along with the post players, drivers, and mid-range shooters on this team would be devastating."

So would most any team.
    Can we order another Curry brother?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Well, Sonya Curry is 54, so you do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Sonya Curry would be a welcome addition to this program, in any capacity that she chooses.

IVF treatments.

https://www.oldest.org/people/mothers/

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    May be too late for that, but Seth Curry and Callie Rivers' kids could have some incredible basketball genes down the road with heavy Duke ties. Curry family shooting + Rivers family athleticism? Yes please.

Ummm, have all of y’all seen this video: https://twitter.com/updateduke/statu...576045568?s=21

It is recent vid of AJ Griffin hitting some absurd step back threes and the such. First video we have seen of him in quite a while. And, look, I always take edited videos with a grain of salt. I mean, how many did he miss for each one of these he made? But still, this shows a crazy amount of confidence, skill, and range on his jumper. This kid is an unknown right now due to not playing at all in public for more than a year... but what is on this tape is EXTREMELY EXCITING!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

After watching that video, one thing that strikes me is how "college ready", or even "NBA ready", these frosh are.

Keels is a solid, heavy dude at 210. Blakes is long and solid. Griffin already has an NBA body (which is crazy at 17). And Banchero? While is isn't as beefy as Keels or Griffin, he's got a great frame and would still be considered "jacked" in most basketball circles.

Compare that to Brandon Ingram, DJ Steward, and Mark Williams entering college...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    After watching that video, one thing that strikes me is how "college ready", or even "NBA ready", these frosh are.

Keels is a solid, heavy dude at 210. Blakes is long and solid. Griffin already has an NBA body (which is crazy at 17). And Banchero? While is isn't as beefy as Keels or Griffin, he's got a great frame and would still be considered "jacked" in most basketball circles.

Compare that to Brandon Ingram, DJ Steward, and Mark Williams entering college...
    And there is the addition of big (listed 6'9" 255#), strong and experienced Theo John to the mix.

Somehow I think we won't hear much about Duke "getting pushed back" this coming season.

^ knocked back. Ack.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The team is STACKED offensively next year. Banchero looks to be amazing and we know Williams and AJ aren't slouches either. An improved Moore, Keel's shooting, and an experienced John will all help.

What is still a big unknown is defense. So I believe that, for the PG role, defense > 3pt shooting. Don't get me wrong, 3pt shooting, playmaking, and ball handling are important. But defense is going to be the most critical.

Roach is more than capable. Given a year of college ball defense (HS defenses are pretty awful), the advantage goes to Roach. But if Blakes is the second coming of Tre Jones on defense, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blakes get the lion's share at the 1.
    Defense at the PG position will certainly be important, always has been in Coach K's defensive philosophy. Pressure the hell out of the ballhandler and get into the passing lanes. If Griffin, Keels, unknown others can prove to be consistent 3 ball shooters, then defense definitely becomes more important for the PG position, almost equal with ballhandling and distribution. I expect our big guys to dominate in the post, and having just one guy who can consistently knock down 3s would be so lethal. I always felt this was the missing piece on the Zion team. Hopefully this player or group of players will also be effective defensively.

Hmmm one of us is taking better care of of ourselves...

Ummm, have all of y’all seen this video: https://twitter.com/updateduke/statu...576045568?s=21

It is recent vid of AJ Griffin hitting some absurd step back threes and the such. First video we have seen of him in quite a while. And, look, I always take edited videos with a grain of salt. I mean, how many did he miss for each one of these he made? But still, this shows a crazy amount of confidence, skill, and range on his jumper. This kid is an unknown right now due to not playing at all in public for more than a year... but what is on this tape is EXTREMELY EXCITING!!
    Speaking of AJ, he was the most recent guest of the Dawkins on Duke podcast with Andre Dawkins. Griffin had a couple interesting nuggets to share, including playing against his father one-on-one, how he always had his eyes set on Duke, and recruiting other players from the Class of 2021. It's clear that there is something going on with Patrick Baldwin, Jr., too. The two scoot around the issue. Very interesting...

Watching this, I can't help but think of the Class of 2022. Not a single player has been offered. But none have taken an official visit, either. Once we get back to official visits, there's going to be movement. No doubt there are several players that are itching to make that trip to Durham.

Also, I loved how Dawkins said Maryland fans were jerks. LMFAO.