Page 113 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, ESPN is the worst of the recruiting rankings in general. From everything I've read and seen, I'd have really trouble believing that he is truly the #27 recruit.
    I guarantee you if Griffin had somehow signed with UNC instead of Duke he wouldn’t be ranked #27. He still be in the top 10. And yes, I’m that suspicious and jaded about ESPN and their love for all things Cheats.

Use that disrespect, AJ! Make all of them eat their words.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I guarantee you if Griffin had somehow signed with UNC instead of Duke he wouldn’t be ranked #27. He still be in the top 10. And yes, I’m that suspicious and jaded about ESPN and their love for all things Cheats.

Use that disrespect, AJ! Make all of them eat their words.
    I wouldn't say all of ESPN is biased against Duke. Jonathan Givony of their NBA draft team has Paolo going #1 and AJ going #6. It's just bizarre that their college recruiting guys are not talking to their NBA draft guys. It's a total disconnect between the two, which makes no sense.

As far as the college recruiting guys' bias towards UNC, they have D'Marco Dunn as the 47th rated recruit while Rivals has him at 55th, 247Sports Composite has him at 65, and the 247Sports-only rankings have him at 84th. That's a pretty wide spread for Dunn.

Dontrez Styles, for what it's worth, is ranked between in the 50's and 60's across those four rankings. There's a much tighter spread there.

Yeah, ESPN is the worst of the recruiting rankings in general. From everything I've read and seen, I'd have really trouble believing that he is truly the #27 recruit. Everyone else seems to think he's a fringe top-10, so something in the 8-12 range makes sense, with variability up to 5-6 and down to ~15.
    FWIW, 247 still has AJ at #7 and Rivals still has him at #6. ESPN had him at #9 last summer, so that's a serious downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    FWIW, 247 still has AJ at #7 and Rivals still has him at #6. ESPN had him at #9 last summer, so that's a serious downgrade.
    It is weird because ESPN also just put out their latest 2022 mock draft and Griffin is #6. I get that recruiting rankings don’t have to correlate with draft stock, but that is a serious discrepancy. The ESPN rank is a clear outlier.

Maybe they prove to be correct, but color me skeptical.

It is weird because ESPN also just put out their latest 2022 mock draft and Griffin is #6. I get that recruiting rankings don’t have to correlate with draft stock, but that is a serious discrepancy. The ESPN rank is a clear outlier.

Maybe they prove to be correct, but color me skeptical.
    Typo? or maybe one of the Cheat media people told them to drop Griffin. and I'm not talking about Jay.

GoDuke!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Very interesting article from The Chronicle discussing how our three 5* freshman are going after PBJ hard, and seem somewhat confident that he could end up in a Duke uniform.

I still don't quite see the fit, but then again many of us didn't with Zion and we know how that turned out. I'll take the first world problem of having to figure out how to make NBA-level talent fit together any day. I still remain pessimistic about our chances given what all the recruiting experts seem to be saying, but for those holding out hope, here's a little more.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

We may have 2 PBs at Duke next year. You know Baldwin has to want to be a part of Duke vs Gonzaga, Kentucky, Michigan ?, UVA, Syracuse , Louisville, Notre Dame , FSU and UNC next season. Hope they can get him on board.

Quote Originally Posted by RetireVergaJersey View Post
    We may have 2 PBs at Duke next year. You know Baldwin has to want to be a part of Duke vs Gonzaga, Kentucky, Michigan ?, UVA, Syracuse , Louisville, Notre Dame , FSU and UNC next season. Hope they can get him on board.
    I agree with you on retiring Bob Verga's jersey. Is he still working as a Tennis Instructor at a club in New Jersey?

Last edited by heyman25; 04-22-2021 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added 1 more link

Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thanks for posting the link. Would love to see a picture of him with that sports car and that beautiful blonde girlfriend. Verga sure enjoyed his time at Duke.

Interesting situation in Auburn where 4-star guard Trey Alexander has verbally decommitted after signing an LOI. I suppose Auburn and Bruce Pearl are going to have to let the young man go or else look like jerks. Auburn has recently taken on a number of transfers, including PG Wendell Green from Eastern Kentucky, Zep Jasper from College of Charleston, Desi Stills from Arkansas, and Walker Kessler from North Carolina. As upperclassmen transfer in, a wonder if more incoming high school recruits are going to look reconsider their place on the projected roster.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Very interesting article from The Chronicle discussing how our three 5* freshman are going after PBJ hard, and seem somewhat confident that he could end up in a Duke uniform.

I still don't quite see the fit, but then again many of us didn't with Zion and we know how that turned out. I'll take the first world problem of having to figure out how to make NBA-level talent fit together any day. I still remain pessimistic about our chances given what all the recruiting experts seem to be saying, but for those holding out hope, here's a little more.
    If we get PBJ, then we can make a legit run at the national title.

It might also be the last go around for K, as much as it saddens me to say.

Thanks for posting the link. Would love to see a picture of him with that sports car and that beautiful blonde girlfriend. Verga sure enjoyed his time at Duke.
    At the risk of derailing this thread, it sounds like Bob and Ben Bennett were cut from the same cloth. Didn't freshman QB Ben Bennett drive a Corvette?
    Last edited by peloton; 04-22-2021 at 02:26 PM.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1965/12/0...---076---image

40A3B1BE-08D4-4CC7-8BE0-78B93F488BC5.jpg
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

thx for sharing never knew about Mr. Verga!! Incredible the link to texas western and the "glory road" team

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    At the risk of derailing this thread, it sounds like Bob and Ben Bennett were cut from the same cloth. Didn't freshman QB Ben Bennett drive a Corvette?
    Pretty sure it was bright orange if memory serves . . .

Not sure if folks saw this in the Jaylen Blakes thread, but the latest episode of the DBR podcast features an interview with Blakes' high school coach Joe Mantegna. I think it is one of the better interviews we have had on the pod, really fascinating insight into high school and college athletics.

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP9676676437
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I got the sense from the latest Brendan Marks mailbag in The Athletic that a Baldwin commit (which he pegged at unlikely but not impossible) could drive Williams to turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    I got the sense from the latest Brendan Marks mailbag in The Athletic that a Baldwin commit (which he pegged at unlikely but not impossible) could drive Williams to turn pro.
    I would imagine a Baldwin commit would have little effect on Williams as their games are completely different.