Page 110 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Gonzaga is the pick. He has a custom T-shirt that shows him in a Gonzaga uniform. He was AAU teammates with Jalen Suggs and heard great things about the Zags from Suggs.
    He could be the guy that puts them over the top. He is a unique player.

A lineup on the floor of Moore, Griffin, Baldwin, Banchero and Williams might not be the longest in the NBA but maybe top 5? And it’s an NBA athletic lineup.

I’m not suggesting Moore start at PG over Roach, but those 5 on the court together would be a site to see.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    A lineup on the floor of Moore, Griffin, Baldwin, Banchero and Williams might not be the longest in the NBA but maybe top 5? And it’s an NBA athletic lineup.
    Shortest wingspan in that group would be Moore's 6'11".

In general, next year's team is going to be pretty darn big. We only have one recruited player under 6'5", only two under 6'6". If we do land Blakes, that would bump us up to two and three, but even Blakes has tremendous length and size for a 6'2" guy (195lb, 6'8" wingspan).

That lineup would have an average height of 6 feet, 8.6 inches.

I only spot-checked the Denver Nuggets who set the record for the tallest starting lineup in NBA history last summer (included Bol Bol). Denver's 5 starters from their most recent game (Gordon, Barton, Porter, Jokic, Morris) are an average 6 feet 7.4 inches.

I'm pretty sure our group would alter a lot of shots and gobble up a lot of rebounds playing an aggressive 2-3 zone. It would be intimidating. A fan can dream....

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I’m not suggesting Moore start at PG over Roach, but those 5 on the court together would be a site to see.
    Yep, 'bout half the time the "site" is Cameron and half the time at other "sites."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Gonzaga's new team motto: Next Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Gonzaga's new team motto: Next Year!
    I thought it was, "When they zig, we zag"
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Gonzaga is the pick. He has a custom T-shirt that shows him in a Gonzaga uniform. He was AAU teammates with Jalen Suggs and heard great things about the Zags from Suggs.
    FWIW, Baldwin was an AAU teammate of Jalen Johnson and Brakefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    FWIW, Baldwin was an AAU teammate of Jalen Johnson and Brakefield.
    Is that supposed to be a plus or a minus given that both players left the program quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Is that supposed to be a plus or a minus given that both players left the program quickly?
    I would suspect the latter. But you never know.

Usually, it's a bad idea to tweet at recruits. This one was pretty good, not gonna lie.

https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/stat...20750249295881

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    In general, next year's team is going to be pretty darn big. We only have one recruited player under 6'5", only two under 6'6". If we do land Blakes, that would bump us up to two and three, but even Blakes has tremendous length and size for a 6'2" guy (195lb, 6'8" wingspan).
    And not just in terms of height and length. Banchero, Griffin and Keels all appear to be pretty muscular and physically mature for incoming frosh. Same with Blakes. John clearly fits that description as well, and I would expect Williams to add strength in the offseason, too. Same with Henry, though he's already pretty damn strong. I could see Wendell going the other way, though - shedding some pounds to gain quickness and maybe some bounce in order to defend smaller guys.

I had my fill this past season of seeing Duke players lose 50/50 balls, go up soft and get blocked at the rim, or have the rock simply stripped away from them. I am confident that we won't see any of those things nearly as often in the coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I wish Duke had Holmgren, but he is really skinny.

I wonder how he will do against a physical team like Baylor. If the refs allow contact, he will get pushed all over the floor by strong, less skilled guys.

Hope he does well except, of course, against Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    And not just in terms of height and length. Banchero, Griffin and Keels all appear to be pretty muscular and physically mature for incoming frosh. Same with Blakes. John clearly fits that description as well, and I would expect Williams to add strength in the offseason, too. Same with Henry, though he's already pretty damn strong. I could see Wendell going the other way, though - shedding some pounds to gain quickness and maybe some bounce in order to defend smaller guys.

I had my fill this past season of seeing Duke players lose 50/50 balls, go up soft and get blocked at the rim, or have the rock simply stripped away from them. I am confident that we won't see any of those things nearly as often in the coming season.
    The general rule of thumb is the bigger the player, the slower the player. Yes, there are many exceptions. But while next year's team has plenty of size, they do not have plenty of speed.

I really don't think speed will be an issue on offense. On defense? Let's just say this team will not be a good M2M defensive team.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The general rule of thumb is the bigger the player, the slower the player. Yes, there are many exceptions. But while next year's team has plenty of size, they do not have plenty of speed.

I really don't think speed will be an issue on offense. On defense? Let's just say this team will not be a good M2M defensive team.
    Yes, because that 2010 Duke team was notably fast on defense.

I think it's fair to say that we aren't likely to be overly quick/fast for our positions next year if the roster remains as is and we add Blakes. I wouldn't take the next step in saying we won't be a good man-to-man defensive team. There is more to defense than being quick/fast, and being quick/fast isn't a prerequisite for being a good defensive team.

That's not to say whether we will or will not be good defensively. That's something we can't know for sure until we see it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yes, because that 2010 Duke team was notably fast on defense.

I think it's fair to say that we aren't likely to be overly quick/fast for our positions next year if the roster remains as is and we add Blakes. I wouldn't take the next step in saying we won't be a good man-to-man defensive team. There is more to defense than being quick/fast, and being quick/fast isn't a prerequisite for being a good defensive team.
    Some might say that team was alarmingly not overly quick/fast.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post

I had my fill this past season of seeing Duke players lose 50/50 balls, go up soft and get blocked at the rim, or have the rock simply stripped away from them.
    You mean we were knocked back??

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    You mean we were knocked back??
    ack, can't think of a phrase I hate more...maybe Fauci can use it, "the Covid virus really knocked us back...."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ack, can't think of a phrase I hate more...maybe Fauci can use it, "the Covid virus really knocked us back..."
    "We didn't respond well in the first half".