Page 109 of 149 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Isn't PBJ a power forward? Singler and Mike were small forwards.
    I think that's begging the question. There's nothing about Singler in particular that made him a collegiate small forward rather than a power forward. Dude could bang.

Dunleavy, too, is the epitome of a college stretch 4.

247 lists Baldwin as 6-9, 190 and says he is a small forward.
    ESPN lists Baldwin as 6-10, 225 and says he is a power forward.
    Rivals splits the difference and has him at 6-9, 205 and also says he is a power forward

Having watched highlight packages of his play and read lots about his skill set, there is little question he could play on the wing at Duke. If he chooses Duke, I would expect him, Banchero, and Williams to all be in the starting lineup together.

That said, I think the fact that Duke went after Theo John tells you all you need to know about how the Duke coaches feel about landing Patrick Baldwin Jr.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

PBJ would be the definition of a luxury recruit.
    I tend to agree with you in that our roster looks pretty set already. OTOH Bagley and Zion were both thought of as luxury recruits at the time they committed too. I’d love to land Baldwin, but don’t have my hopes up that it will happen.

If PBJ is going to play for his dad, why wait to announce? I can only think of upside and no downside to committing unless his dad may not be the coach next year.

OToH, if he is still considering Duke, I can think of multiple reasons he might delay his announcement.

Meanwhile, some of the national recruiting experts have put in crystal ball selections for Jaylen Blakes to Duke. This one might wrap up soon.

Well, in 2008, Singler was a center (sometimes a power forward). In 2009, he was a power forward (sometimes a center), in 2010, he was a small forward. Isn't that the whole point?

Also, in 2001, Dunleavy and Battier and Boozer played together. One of Dunleavy and Battier (both similar in size to Baldwin) played PF and one played SF. I don't think it really mattered which.

Plus, I don't think there's much question that Baldwin could play SF on offense, of course he could. The question is whether he could play SF on defense AND whether Griffin could play SG on defense (because if the second doesn't happen, we'd have to rethink the first). My guess is they both could manage in a zone. I have my doubts about M2M, but we'd have to just wait and see.

That said, if the staff thought there was any kind of decent chance to get Baldwin, they probably wouldn't have gone after John, so I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, in 2008, Singler was a center (sometimes a power forward). In 2009, he was a power forward (sometimes a center), in 2010, he was a small forward. Isn't that the whole point?

Also, in 2001, Dunleavy and Battier and Boozer played together. One of Dunleavy and Battier (both similar in size to Baldwin) played PF and one played SF. I don't think it really mattered which.

Plus, I don't think there's much question that Baldwin could play SF on offense, of course he could. The question is whether he could play SF on defense AND whether Griffin could play SG on defense (because if the second doesn't happen, we'd have to rethink the first). My guess is they both could manage in a zone. I have my doubts about M2M, but we'd have to just wait and see.

That said, if the staff thought there was any kind of decent chance to get Baldwin, they probably wouldn't have gone after John, so I'm not holding my breath at this point.
    Of course, K always moved guys up a position. I don't recall him ever play someone down a position, i.e pfs at 3, besides various players at point.

You saw it this season where neither Jaylen Johnson and Hurt spent much if any minutes at the 3, despite either capable of doing it on offense.

It's a moot point though since we won't get PBJ.

Of course, K always moved guys up a position. I don't recall him ever play someone down a position, i.e pfs at 3, besides various players at point.

You saw it this season where neither Jaylen Johnson and Hurt spent much if any minutes at the 3, despite either capable of doing it on offense.

Reverse jinx. Good move.

Have we ever had a potential All-ACC center and two top ten power forwards before? Maybe we had the equivalent in 2001, or maybe Dunleavy and Battier were both tall SFs and one of them played up. I think we're splitting hairs at that point. And didn't we just establish that a guy who played PF/C for two years (Singler) moved down to SF in 2010, or was Singler a SF who played up for his first two years? Again, it seems somewhat semantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Have we ever had a potential All-ACC center and two top ten power forwards before? Maybe we had the equivalent in 2001, or maybe Dunleavy and Battier were both tall SFs and one of them played up. I think we're splitting hairs at that point. And didn't we just establish that a guy who played PF/C for two years (Singler) moved down to SF in 2010, or was Singler a SF who played up for his first two years? Again, it seems somewhat semantic.
    Singler was a warrior at whatever position he played.

I don’t think Theo John and PBJ are necessarily related. We need John as a backup center and to bang against Williams in practice.

I’m not saying PBJ is coming to Duke, but what’s he waiting on to announce? So I think there’s still a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I don’t think Theo John and PBJ are necessarily related. We need John as a backup center and to bang against Williams in practice.

I’m not saying PBJ is coming to Duke, but what’s he waiting on to announce? So I think there’s still a chance.
    Contract negotiations at Milwaukee? My guess is that Baldwin Senior is on thin ice at Milwaukee and knows it, and they're trying to leverage a PBJ commitment into a contract extension. Milwaukee knows that they'll never get a player of his talent otherwise, but they also don't want to tie themselves to a bad coach on a long-term deal for a one-and-done player. If Milwaukee gives in, he'll play for his dad. If not? No clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven's Guardian View Post
    Contract negotiations at Milwaukee? My guess is that Baldwin Senior is on thin ice at Milwaukee and knows it, and they're trying to leverage a PBJ commitment into a contract extension. Milwaukee knows that they'll never get a player of his talent otherwise, but they also don't want to tie themselves to a bad coach on a long-term deal for a one-and-done player. If Milwaukee gives in, he'll play for his dad. If not? No clue.
    This is a possiblity. UWM has not performed well in the 4 years that PBS has been coach with not much forward progression (all 4 years below .500 and bottom half of Horizon standings). He presumably has one more year on his contract and may be using PBJ as leverage, but there is no good reason otherwise to give Senior an extension at this point. UWM may call his bluff or cave...that may be the delay with PBJ at this point.

Chet Holmgren, the #1 recruit in the 2021 class, will announce on the noon sportscenter program. His finalists are: Georgetown, Gonzaga, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, & Ohio State. Everyone is betting on Gonzaga (100% on the 247 crystal ball).

Holmgren has guard skills in a center's body.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It's going to be a fun things to watch Gonzaga vs Duke with all of the quality bigs in that game …. even those coming off the bench

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Chet Holmgren, the #1 recruit in the 2021 class, will announce on the noon sportscenter program. His finalists are: Georgetown, Gonzaga, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, & Ohio State. Everyone is betting on Gonzaga (100% on the 247 crystal ball).

Holmgren has guard skills in a center's body.
    On Twitter, there are posts in the past 10 minutes announcing Holmgren to UNC, Michigan St, Gonzaga, Minnesota, Ohio St, and Our Lady of the Lake.

On Twitter, there are posts in the past 10 minutes announcing Holmgren to UNC, Michigan St, Gonzaga, Minnesota, Ohio St, and Our Lady of the Lake.
    Gonzaga is the pick. He has a custom T-shirt that shows him in a Gonzaga uniform. He was AAU teammates with Jalen Suggs and heard great things about the Zags from Suggs.

247 lists Baldwin as 6-9, 190 and says he is a small forward.
    ESPN lists Baldwin as 6-10, 225 and says he is a power forward.
    Rivals splits the difference and has him at 6-9, 205 and also says he is a power forward

Having watched highlight packages of his play and read lots about his skill set, there is little question he could play on the wing at Duke. If he chooses Duke, I would expect him, Banchero, and Williams to all be in the starting lineup together.

That said, I think the fact that Duke went after Theo John tells you all you need to know about how the Duke coaches feel about landing Patrick Baldwin Jr.
    Cut the Coach K We Don't Have Positions speech (even if we do).

Gonzaga is the pick. He has a custom T-shirt that shows him in a Gonzaga uniform. He was AAU teammates with Jalen Suggs and heard great things about the Zags from Suggs.
    Holmgren and Timme vs Banchero and Williams will be must watch television.

I think these could be not only the 2 best frontcourts next year but in recent college basketball history.

Grant Hill primarily played the 4 his first two seasons at Duke, with Koubek, Davis or Clark at the 3.

After Brian Davis graduated in 1992, Hill moved to the 3, with Tony Lang taking over at the 4.

Mark Alarie started at the 5 as a freshman, at the 3 as a sophomore and junior and at the 4 as a senior. In 84 and 85 he moved to the 4 when David Henderson came off the bench and replaced Dan Meager. Then Meagher would come in for Bilas and Alarie would move to the 5.

Shane Battier played lots of 3 as a freshman, with Roshown McLeod at the 4 and Elton Brand at the 5.

I could find other examples. K frequently moves guys up a spot. But not always. He also frequently tweaks his lineup to get his best players on the floor. If that means playing Baldwin at the 3, I think he can figure it out.