Page 101 of 149 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Here's another way of looking at it. This is a highly educated college basketball group. I bet most (no, not all by any means) of the folks on this board don't know the second best player on Kentucky, Michigan State, Tennessee, USC, West Virgina, etc. All bluebloods or teams that were better than Duke this year. It's an old cliche', but for the majority of fans college ball is about the team, not the player unless it is their own squad.
    Kentucky was not a better team than Duke was this past year and it's debatable that MSU was, in spite of their impressive wins. Michigan didn't care to show up the last game of the season after clinching the B1G record. Then MSU fell flat on its face in the postseason. It's a matter of debate about the best player on Kentucky this last year, let alone the second best (I would go Jackson and then Boston). For MSU, Aaron Henry was clearly the best player, but it's hard to say who was next best. It was probably Gabe Brown. Again, matter of debate.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Please show me a Final Four team that had a freshman ranked outside the RSCI Top 100 start at PG.
    Didn't Baylor just dominate and win a national championship with Jared Butler? He was the #97 recruit according to 247, not much different from 101...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Didn't Baylor just dominate and win a national championship with Jared Butler? He was the #97 recruit according to 247, not much different from 101...
    OP said a Freshman. Butler was a Junior.

Quote Originally Posted by amusedcupcake View Post
    OP said a Freshman. Butler was a Junior.
    Ah yes...okay. I would agree asking a freshman to help a team to a final four as a freshman is unrealistic but could happen later in their careers. Missed that word.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Some interesting quotes from Blakes in this piece from DevilsDen

Prior to his high school season tipping off at Blair, Blakes offered some insight into what will shape his decision-making process when he does eventually move toward a decision.

"I am looking for the best combination of academics and athletics, an alumni network that is supportive during my college years and after graduation, a school, culture and community that embraces student-athletes, are committed to diversity and inclusiveness and has a great school spirit at games," he told 247Sports.com. "From a basketball perspective, I am looking for a coach that trusts me and I know that the trust goes both ways. In order for the coach to trust me I also have to perform off the court and I want that coach to trust me as well and I want a coach that embraces me for the individual that I am and continues to invest in my development and knowledge of the game that continues to grow me as a person and as an athlete. I have been blessed at Blair with the culture of brotherhood, selflessness, community service and a focus on just making each other better and that's what I am looking for in a college program. One of the most important parts is winning. I have always wanted to win, I am competitive, so that's one of the most important parts."

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...m_content=Link
    That certainly sounds like a young man who plans on being around for multiple years and embracing his role. I've seen other quotes to this effect floating around... I really want this kid now, and I think he could be the perfect compliment to our backcourt. I'd rather have him come in and (potentially, knock on wood) be around for 3-4 years and grow in a Duke uniform than take a chance in the transfer portal. Famous last words re: the longevity, I know, but... it certainly seems like Blakes is saying all the right things.

Fingers crossed we've found ourselves a late gem here.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Here's another way of looking at it. This is a highly educated college basketball group. I bet most (no, not all by any means) of the folks on this board don't know the second best player on Kentucky, Michigan State, Tennessee, USC, West Virgina, etc. All bluebloods or teams that were better than Duke this year. It's an old cliche', but for the majority of fans college ball is about the team, not the player unless it is their own squad.
    Kentucky was not a better team than Duke was this past year and it's debatable that MSU was, in spite of their impressive wins. Michigan didn't care to show up the last game of the season after clinching the B1G record. Then MSU fell flat on its face in the postseason. It's a matter of debate about the best player on Kentucky this last year, let alone the second best (I would go Jackson and then Boston). For MSU, Aaron Henry was clearly the best player, but it's hard to say who was next best. It was probably Gabe Brown. Again, matter of debate.
    The OP identified the teams as bluebloods OR teams that were better than Duke this year. I assume he's putting Kentucky and MSU in the blueblood category.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Please show me a Final Four team that had a freshman ranked outside the RSCI Top 100 start at PG.
    I have not done all the research, but the previous national champs from Virginia had Kihei Clark, who was not even a top 300 recruit, start many games at PG as a freshman in 2019. He started more than half of Virginia's games as a freshman in 2019 and played 36 and 33 minutes in the 2 final four games.

I had to go back all the way to the last final four before this year to prove your very narrow thesis wrong. Nice try

-Jason "I have not researched other Final Fours to see how common this is... perhaps Clark is a once in a million outlier" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Agreed. Love that quote by Blakes.

Question for the board. If Baldwin is going to play for his Dad, what’s he waiting on to announce? By announcing now, couldn’t he still help to draw a solid contributor or two around him? What makes more sense to me - granted as a total outsider - is that he’s waiting on Hurt’s decision before making his own.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have not done all the research, but the previous national champs from Virginia had Kihei Clark, who was not even a top 300 recruit, start many games at PG as a freshman in 2019. He started more than half of Virginia's games as a freshman in 2019 and played 36 and 33 minutes in the 2 final four games.

I had to go back all the way to the last final four before this year to prove your very narrow thesis wrong. Nice try

-Jason "I have not researched other Final Fours to see how common this is... perhaps Clark is a once in a million outlier" Evans
    I believe the OP is saying that the player outside the top 100 started at PG on a Final Four team as a freshman, not that they can't grow into the role like someone like Kihei Clark. He's arguing why Blakes would not be reliable in that role this season.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

OK, well that's an interesting situation. Ty Jerome had more points and assists in 5 of the 6 games of the NCAA Tournament than Clark and a much higher usage rate. In one game, Jerome has the same number of assists as Clark. Clark guarded the opposing PG a ton, but it was more of a shared responsibility of playing PG.

I'll amend my statement to say "It is incredibly rare for a Final Four team to rely on a primary PG that is a freshman that was ranked outside the RSCI Top 100."

But you got me, fair and square.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I believe the OP is saying that the player outside the top 100 started at PG on a Final Four team as a freshman, not that they can't grow into the role like someone like Kihei Clark. He's arguing why Blakes would not be reliable in that role this season.
    Kihei Clark was a freshman for the 2018-19 National Championship year...He also had one of the most clutch/skilled passes I have seen in NCAA history in that to come back against Purdue with an amazing half-court pass to set up the (tying) buzzer beater.

I'm all in favor of landing him and would not expect him to play a major role in his first year. I do think having another PG will help out a lot in practice. When it comes to lower-ranked players there is an extremely fine line that Duke has to walk between guys who exceed expectations and leave early, versus guys who fall below expectations or don't get enough playing time and then transfer. But we absolutely need to have these types of players on the team. Would love for him to develop into a Jordan Goldwire type, though it sounds like he'd be more ready to contribute sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    It was Turnovers first and 3pt/FT shooting second, IMO. We had an all-time offense and defense (top 10 in Kenpom in both), but we were among the all-time worst Duke teams in TOs (and pretty poor all time in 3 point shooting...dont know on FT% but my guess is not great).

17 TO vs Sparty in the Elite 8, including several off of set inbound plays, which is unacceptable for a high level basketball team.
    JGold, Tre and Jack all looked like deer caught in the headlights when they caught a pass on the 3 point line.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    This is the best type of pickup for us for next year. A Goldwire type of project that can play heavy minutes year 3 and 4.
    Agree here. This seems (and I hope) that Blakes recruitment is with a view towards 2022-23. If he's a rotational player for 2021-22, then that would be a bonus, but I'd be surprised if he's not more than filling out the practice squad for this year. Really hoping we pick up another guard and perhaps a 4 in the transfer market, assuming Hurt is gone and PBJ isn't coming. Not the end of the world if we don't, but veteran depth would help both for this year and next. (Different thread, but the 2022-23 roster looks pretty bare right now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yea some posts don’t age well at all.

OK, well that's an interesting situation. Ty Jerome had more points and assists in 5 of the 6 games of the NCAA Tournament than Clark and a much higher usage rate. In one game, Jerome has the same number of assists as Clark. Clark guarded the opposing PG a ton, but it was more of a shared responsibility of playing PG.

I'll amend my statement to say "It is incredibly rare for a Final Four team to rely on a primary PG that is a freshman that was ranked outside the RSCI Top 100."

Eh, I don’t really think you need to amend. Clark wasn’t the Hoos’ PG in 2019; Jerome was.

Closest example I can think of in recent memory might be Payton Pritchard in 2017, but he was still a top-50 guy.
    Last edited by CDu; 04-13-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks for admitting it... don't see that often on the internet. I appreciate it.

And, for the record, I do not think Blakes (if he commits) is being brought in to start or play a large role for the 2021-22 Blue Devils. I think he will be an important practice player (I want us to have 10 quality players for scrimmages, just listen to my latest podcast with the 2001 team to understand how important those practice scrimmages are) and someone who may play about 5-8 minutes per game as a freshman. I also see him as injury insurance.

Lastly, it is worth noting that Duke is in a strange position with Roach. He could go pro early, it would not at all be shocking if he did, but he could stick also around for a junior or senior season. But, his presence makes it tough to recruit another top 20 PG. So, we can't really replace him. That means that having a decent backup who does not mind playing a small role but is capable of handling a larger role is absolutely essential. I think Blakes is a darn-near perfect fit for that role. Heck, he appears to be a significantly better prospect/recruit than Goldwire was and we all know how valuable Goldwire became to Duke over the past few years.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Heck, he appears to be a significantly better prospect/recruit than Goldwire was and we all know how valuable Goldwire became to Duke over the past few years.
    Yeah, but Andre Buckner was probably a better prospect than Goldwire was too. Despite Coach K's success with Jordan Goldwire and Tyler Thornton, this sort of recruit can very easily fail to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Yeah, but Andre Buckner was probably a better prospect than Goldwire was too. Despite Coach K's success with Jordan Goldwire and Tyler Thornton, this sort of recruit can very easily fail to work out.
    But that can be said about any recruit. (i.e. Johnson, Jalen)

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Andre Buckner was great against Matt Doherty!