Page 41 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
    Our state has clamped down on travelling teams after an outbreak on hockey teams, and socializing thereafter...

Eric Bossi has his new column out and it highlights the top 15 uncommitted players (3 targets of ours).

https://247sports.com/college/basket...ors-153765528/

Patrick Baldwin: Though Baldwin cut his list down to 10 some time ago, there are only a few programs out there with a realistic shot of landing him. The skilled offensive player and dangerous jump shooter can play all over the frontcourt and isn’t likely to be in college long. There is a chance that he could decide in time for the early signing period, but recently indicated his choice will come within a month or two after the 11th. The most likely options for Baldwin at this point appear to be either Duke or playing for his father at Milwaukee

Caleb Houstan: So far, all indications are that Houstan should be ready to announce his college decision at some point during the early signing period. If he doesn’t decide in time, it will be shortly after. One of the best jump shooters in the class, Alabama and Michigan have been getting the most buzz for his commitment. The Crimson Tide has been hot with Canadian prospects, can they continue it with Houstan?

Trevor Keels: One of the players who could ultimately decide which team finishes No. 1 overall in the 2021 team recruiting rankings, the five-star shooting guard has been sitting on his final three of Duke, Villanova and Virginia for some time now. There are valid cases to be made for all three of his finalists and Keels toughness would be welcomed wherever he lands. A decision appears to be coming soon, it is just a matter of whether he decides during or shortly after the early period.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Eric Bossi has his new column out and it highlights the top 15 uncommitted players (3 targets of ours).

https://247sports.com/college/basket...ors-153765528/

Patrick Baldwin: Though Baldwin cut his list down to 10 some time ago, there are only a few programs out there with a realistic shot of landing him. The skilled offensive player and dangerous jump shooter can play all over the frontcourt and isn’t likely to be in college long. There is a chance that he could decide in time for the early signing period, but recently indicated his choice will come within a month or two after the 11th. The most likely options for Baldwin at this point appear to be either Duke or playing for his father at Milwaukee

Caleb Houstan: So far, all indications are that Houstan should be ready to announce his college decision at some point during the early signing period. If he doesn’t decide in time, it will be shortly after. One of the best jump shooters in the class, Alabama and Michigan have been getting the most buzz for his commitment. The Crimson Tide has been hot with Canadian prospects, can they continue it with Houstan?

Trevor Keels: One of the players who could ultimately decide which team finishes No. 1 overall in the 2021 team recruiting rankings, the five-star shooting guard has been sitting on his final three of Duke, Villanova and Virginia for some time now. There are valid cases to be made for all three of his finalists and Keels toughness would be welcomed wherever he lands. A decision appears to be coming soon, it is just a matter of whether he decides during or shortly after the early period.

This plus the recent PB tweet makes me think TK might commit to Duke soon... Heres to hoping

Some notable late night recruiting buzz...Andrew Slater with another cryptic tweet...I'll try to piece it together.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...145887745?s=20

His emojis - a crystal ball, Canadian flag, and M looking Michigan logo lead me to believe that either Caleb Houstan or Charles Bediako (both Canadian players looking at Michigan) will commit in the next 24-48 hours. My guess is Caleb Houstan. Houstan would be Michigan's highest rated recruit of all time.

Some other notable commits/predictions:

4 Star Dallan Coleman (#49 nationally) committed to Georgia Tech on Tuesday
    5 Star (#25 nationally and former FSU commit Bryce McGowens) is trending big time for Nebraska
    5 Star Daimion Collins (#19 in nation) is likely to announce his commitment to Kentucky this weekend. This would give them their first 5 star (along with 2 4 stars, Nolan Hickman and Bryce Hopkins)

Some notable late night recruiting buzz...Andrew Slater with another cryptic tweet...I'll try to piece it together.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...145887745?s=20

His emojis - a crystal ball, Canadian flag, and M looking Michigan logo lead me to believe that either Caleb Houstan or Charles Bediako (both Canadian players looking at Michigan) will commit in the next 24-48 hours. My guess is Caleb Houstan. Houstan would be Michigan's highest rated recruit of all time.

Some other notable commits/predictions:

4 Star Dallan Coleman (#49 nationally) committed to Georgia Tech on Tuesday
    5 Star (#25 nationally and former FSU commit Bryce McGowens) is trending big time for Nebraska
    5 Star Daimion Collins (#19 in nation) is likely to announce his commitment to Kentucky this weekend. This would give them their first 5 star (along with 2 4 stars, Nolan Hickman and Bryce Hopkins)
    Pretty sure Chris Webber was #1 in his high school class...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Pretty sure Chris Webber was #1 in his high school class...
    Yep and others like Cazzie Russell in the dark ages. I think the JayWilliams was looking at list of Michigan recruits since 2000.

Houstan to Michigan is a very interesting development. The buzz was that Hosutan was looking hard at Nate Oates and Alabama. Committing to Michigan over Alabama, Virginia, and Duke would be a big win for Juwan Howard.

This might be a good sign for Duke. Keeping Houstan away from Charlottesville will help in ACC play. And it might also mean that Houstan didn't hear what he wanted from Duke's staff about playing time or other recruits.

Caleb Houstan makes it official for Michigan. They now have the #1 class in 2021.

https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/stat...721326080?s=20

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Caleb Houstan makes it official for Michigan. They now have the #1 class in 2021.

https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/stat...721326080?s=20
    The Wolverine part of me is over the moon about this, yet won't feel fully confident until Houstan signs (Isaiah Todd will linger in the minds of Michigan fans for a long time). Both in the 2021 class and the 2020 class, Howard put together a ton of solid, Top-100 caliber pieces... but Michigan needed a true 5*, star-level player to start competing at the Top 10 caliber level that it wants to. Houstan could be that piece.

Obviously, the Duke part of me is disappointed, but as the front page notes, I think Houstan was a luxury for us with the caliber of forwards we already have in this class.

Something to keep in mind: we've talked about how the extra year of eligibility might affect Duke, but Michigan is another team that could really benefit from it to field a fantastic squad in 2021. Senior Eli Brooks could now return in 2021 to balance out what would've been a young team at arguably the most important position to do so, the point. RS Senior 7-footer Austin Davis could also return, as could grad transfer Mike Smith. I assume Isaiah Livers will be out the door to the draft, but a guy can dream. But with that in mind, Michigan's 2021 squad could look like:

PG: third year starter and fifth year senior Eli Brooks
    SG: Possibly Chaundee Brown (depending on his transfer situation and/or him using an extra year of eligibility), 4* 2020 recruit Zeb Jackson, or 4* 2021 recruit Kobe Bufkin
    SF: Maybe a third year of Franz Wagner, or Houstan here
    PF: Houstan here if Wagner sticks around, if not likely senior Brandon Johns
    C: A combo of a potential sixth year of Austin Davis and a sophomore Hunter Dickinson (a former Duke target and borderline 5*, who just happens to be 7-2)

Again, a lot of ifs, ands, and buts, there. But that has the looks of a Top 10 squad in 2021 if various puzzle pieces fall into place.

Like it or not, it seems like Michigan is now officially a team we have to recruit against seriously!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Houstan, we have a problem...

/ducks, runs for cover
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

So at this point we're basically down to Keels and Baldwin for the 2021 class, I don't see us in the mix for many other players. Here's to hoping Keels pops soon.

I assume there will be some interest in transfers (Yale transfer for example), or players who take advantage of the extra year of eligibility.

So at this point we're basically down to Keels and Baldwin for the 2021 class, I don't see us in the mix for many other players. Here's to hoping Keels pops soon.

I assume there will be some interest in transfers (Yale transfer for example), or players who take advantage of the extra year of eligibility.
    Why? Duke has commitments from 2 top 10 players and in the running for 2 other five stars, including one of the best players in the class.

Duke is also likely to return a ton of players. We don’t need a big class for 2021; we got that in 2020.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Why? Duke has commitments from 2 top 10 players and in the running for 2 other five stars, including one of the best players in the class.

Duke is also likely to return a ton of players. We don’t need a big class for 2021; we got that in 2020.
    I am not a huge recruiting guru, so i don't know much about the incoming recruits' prospects for 1&D, but i haven't gotten the impression that our Fr. class is busting at the seems with guys who are obviously ready to go to the NBA, in the way that Tatum, Ingram, Kyrie, Bagley, Zion etc were seen as ready to go when they got to Duke.
    Beyond the Fr. class, even our So. class (2 players) and lone Jr. aren't getting lots of ink about going pro after this year, although Hurt would be the clearest candidate if he improves the way early gossip indicates that he has. Wendell seems like a solid player, but he did not look like a sure fire lock to play in the NBA during his Fr. season. J-Bake also did not. That being said, being a dead-eye 3pt shooter with limited defensive prowess is in demand in the NBA these days so both Hurt and Joey could change some minds with hot 3pt shooting throughout the year. Unless Wendell can dramatically improve his 3pt/outside shooting, i just don't see how he will generate much interest from the NBA. His defensive versatility could be a big asset, but is that enough these days?
    So, in addition to X number of returning rising Fr.-to-So. and anywhere from 1- 3 upperclassmen, Duke could very well have a relatively low need for incoming players next year. ***so, what is the current projection for the "X" number of returning Fr. to be So. for next year from this team?*** (assuming 0 transfers)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post

You can't ever have enough talent

If Baldwin and Keels want to come to Duke, they'll come to Duke. Baldwin, Griffin, and Banchero would all start on Duke's team this year right now. Keels would be the only one to come off the bench.

As far as I know, Duke is still recruiting Charles Bediako, the 6'10" C from Canada. I'm not sure he's a prime candidate, but the recruitment is still active as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan2020 View Post
    Leader Johnson
    @WriterLeader247
    ·
    7h
    Duke is on the prowl Charles Bediako and Patrick Baldwin look like locks. Caleb Houstan is going to be a fight between Virginia and Duke. Trevor Keels is still a 3 way fight but its between Duke and Villanova.

Pretty interesting as I thought Bediako was set to go to Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    As far as I know, Duke is still recruiting Charles Bediako, the 6'10" C from Canada. I'm not sure he's a prime candidate, but the recruitment is still active as far as I know.
    Crystal Ball is 100% for Alabama, including several picks from credible analysts (Chad Lykins, Jerry Meyer) in the last few weeks. Lock for Duke would seem a bit strong, maybe in the mix but seems unlikely...

I’m not too worried as Mark Williams projects as our starter in ‘22.

Although unlikely, what happens if Duke is unable to get Bediako, Baldwin, or Keels? I haven't really heard any other names out there as possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan2020 View Post
    Although unlikely, what happens if Duke is unable to get Bediako, Baldwin, or Keels? I haven't really heard any other names out there as possibilities
    K will likely assess whether there are other players in the class who are worth going after or perhaps he will look for a transfer if he thinks the roster needs it.

Projecting the 2021-22 roster is extremely difficult at this point due to the uncertain NBA prospects of many guys on the current roster. Until game start being played and we see who has stepped up and in what ways they have stepped up, there is really no way to know whether Hurt, Moore, Johnson, Roach, Williams, or Steward will be back. And that doesn't even include the fact that Goldwire and Tape could each get an extra season if they want.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    And that doesn't even include the fact that Goldwire and Tapé could each get an extra season if they want.
    Heck, Tapé could get a PhD by the time he's done.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

If you type Tape and then an apostrophe with no space, it'll autocorrect.

-jk