Page 40 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    But he could still transfer, sit out this year, then play the next two years.
    Why would he get two years?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Why would he get two years?
    It's a little confusing, but the attached article from the New Haven paper indicates his plan is to graduate from Yale this spring (presumably not playing this season), then transfer (albeit he's "in the portal" now), and then be a grad transfer for next season. https://www.nhregister.com/colleges/...n-15659716.php. That wouldn't be any different than what Seth Towns or Patrick Tape did last year - he's just announcing it kind of early.

I think that the special NCAA Covid rule granting everyone an extra year of eligibility would be of no impact in that circumstance.

My understanding is that the rule only applies to give a player the extra year if they stay at their current school (even if they would otherwise qualify for a "grad" rather than regular transfer). So, I don't think he could play at Yale this year (1st "senior" season) and then transfer to play somewhere else next year (covid senior season), nor sit out while a student at Yale this year and then play 2 years after transferring.

Of course, I could have completely goofed this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    It's a little confusing, but the attached article from the New Haven paper indicates his plan is to graduate from Yale this spring (presumably not playing this season), then transfer (albeit he's "in the portal" now), and then be a grad transfer for next season. https://www.nhregister.com/colleges/...n-15659716.php. That wouldn't be any different than what Seth Towns or Patrick Tape did last year - he's just announcing it kind of early.

I think that the special NCAA Covid rule granting everyone an extra year of eligibility would be of no impact in that circumstance.

My understanding is that the rule only applies to give a player the extra year if they stay at their current school (even if they would otherwise qualify for a "grad" rather than regular transfer). So, I don't think he could play at Yale this year (1st "senior" season) and then transfer to play somewhere else next year (covid senior season), nor sit out while a student at Yale this year and then play 2 years after transferring.

Of course, I could have completely goofed this up.
    Only Jay Bilas truly knows.

Leader Johnson
    @WriterLeader247
    ·
    7h
    Duke is on the prowl Charles Bediako and Patrick Baldwin look like locks. Caleb Houstan is going to be a fight between Virginia and Duke. Trevor Keels is still a 3 way fight but its between Duke and Villanova.

Pretty interesting as I thought Bediako was set to go to Alabama

Need my FIX!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan2020 View Post
    Leader Johnson
    @WriterLeader247
    With the loss of a couple of national recruiting gurus, I'm jones'n for information.

Do you folks have any good twitter follows for reliable recruiting scoop?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDan2020 View Post
    Leader Johnson
    @WriterLeader247
    ·
    7h
    Duke is on the prowl Charles Bediako and Patrick Baldwin look like locks. Caleb Houstan is going to be a fight between Virginia and Duke. Trevor Keels is still a 3 way fight but its between Duke and Villanova.

Pretty interesting as I thought Bediako was set to go to Alabama
    I don't think many see Baldwin (or Bediako) as "being a lock" for Duke. It's the season of recruiting bloviating...and should Duke be fortunate enough to get Keels, I don't think Houstan will be an option.

I don't see Duke being a lock for any of their top 3 targets right now. May be why they explored the Yale grad transfer, Paul Atkinson.

Be on the lookout

Paolo Banchero recently logged into a pair of young basketball followers to discuss life during COVID. The Duke commit had a nugget to share:

We’re gonna have a great team…I’m not gonna say too much, but we got more coming on the way on the recruiting trail. So be on the lookout for that.
    Check out the full interview (~17 minutes) here: https://www.theseasonticket.com/news...e/show/1129229

A few notable commits over the past few days:

#30 in 2021 Bryce Hopkins committed to Kentucky
    #14 in 2022 Skyy Clark committed to Kentucky
    #133 in 2021 Kaleb Washington committed to Dayton
    #39 in 2021 DaRon Holmes committed to Dayton
    #86 in 2021 Shane Dezonie committed to Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    A few notable commits over the past few days:

#30 in 2021 Bryce Hopkins committed to Kentucky
    #14 in 2022 Skyy Clark committed to Kentucky
    #133 in 2021 Kaleb Washington committed to Dayton
    #39 in 2021 DaRon Holmes committed to Dayton
    Why would anyone commit to AZ after they just received their NOA that includes five Level I allegations?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Why would anyone commit to AZ after they just received their NOA that includes five Level I allegations?
    They might be in financial trouble and need some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Maybe he knows that Sean Miller doesn't like man to man defense, and prefers to play Dezonie.

Well, one of the Level 1 violations was against the swimming and diving team, so it's not as bad as you make it sound.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Well, one of the Level 1 violations was against the swimming and diving team, so it's not as bad as you make it sound.
    "It's just a flesh wound. I've had worse." - The Black Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Well one of Miller's assistants was convicted and sent to federal prison for paying players to come to Arizona and steering them to agents, etc. And he's on tape talking about how Miller was directing it, knew all about it, directly involved in it, etc. And another assistant was fired for directing academic improprieties, if I recall correctly. Miller is personally charged with a "lack of coach's control" or some sort of phrasing like that, which I'm not sure how he's going to beat given what his assistants have already proven to have done, plus what's on the tapes.

Frankly I'm surprised he wasn't canned months ago. They are looking at significant penalties here, as is Miller personally.

Honest question - is high school basketball happening in most places around the country? In my state, it is banned for the foreseeable future except for no contact practice. Kinda hard to recruit with that...and for the players to get better. I have heard of families moving states because of this - most made the move earlier in anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Honest question - is high school basketball happening in most places around the country? In my state, it is banned for the foreseeable future except for no contact practice. Kinda hard to recruit with that...and for the players to get better. I have heard of families moving states because of this - most made the move earlier in anticipation.
    I suspect they are very localized decisions. Here in Wake County, NC, my son is still eyeing his first high school basketball season. They’ve already pushed the start date back by one month. And with covid cases rising fast, I will be very surprised if the season is not further delayed or cancelled altogether. We’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Well one of Miller's assistants was convicted and sent to federal prison for paying players to come to Arizona and steering them to agents, etc. And he's on tape talking about how Miller was directing it, knew all about it, directly involved in it, etc. And another assistant was fired for directing academic improprieties, if I recall correctly. Miller is personally charged with a "lack of coach's control" or some sort of phrasing like that, which I'm not sure how he's going to beat given what his assistants have already proven to have done, plus what's on the tapes.

Frankly I'm surprised he wasn't canned months ago. They are looking at significant penalties here, as is Miller personally.
    I could be wrong but I think (?) DBA was being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    As with most sports outside of football, most recruiting and evaluating happens through the club teams/AAU circuit and not the high school teams. Where I live in NY, club sports are happening on a much less restricted basis than high school sports. I saw club high school basketball on ESPN all day on Sunday. However, I do think the Elite showcases where the best play the best (e.g. Peach Jam) have been curtailed so it will be harder to evaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    As with most sports outside of football, most recruiting and evaluating happens through the club teams/AAU circuit and not the high school teams. Where I live in NY, club sports are happening on a much less restricted basis than high school sports. I saw club high school basketball on ESPN all day on Sunday. However, I do think the Elite showcases where the best play the best (e.g. Peach Jam) have been curtailed so it will be harder to evaluate.
    Good point. Club teams/AAU may have more freedom in certain cases but it seems to vary state by state. My state has a complete ban on basketball games EXCEPT for college and professional teams. That is probably unusual I would imagine.

I would assume club/AAU will travel to neighboring states where games are allowed to get around it but there are costs/logistics associated with that. In any event I would say that this recruiting season won't be normal just as the summer was abnormal. I guess that's an understatement but you do the best you can...