Page 64 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Not saying it's easy to do or anything, but Michigan did it this year, with Mike Smith of Columbia and Chaundee Brown of Wake. They had Eli Brooks coming back to start at guard, Smith starts next to him, and Brown is a super 6th man, more like a 6th starter really. No apparent chemistry issues at all. It can be done.
    I don't think your example applies. First, Brown isn't a guard, he's a SF. When he committed, there was a possibility that the SF spot would be open, with Wagner playing at PF and Livers in the draft. Livers didn't decide to return until July, a function of the late draft this past summer that won't be in play this coming summer.

It's technically possible, but it will require threading a tight needle. And that's ignoring the fact that the staff has not been terribly active in the grad transfer market, and haven't been very successful in the few times they've explored it.

Maybe we get lucky and figure the market out AND thread the needle. But I feel like the more likely outcome is that we have Roach, Steward, and Moore rotating at guard. And in that scenario, I'd feel pretty comfortable. Mostly because I'm bullish on those 3 making big jumps next year, but also because the backcourt shouldn't be viewed in isolation from the rest of the team. We will be loaded with individual shot-creating talent at other positions next year that it takes a ton of pressure off the guards in ways that we haven't had the past two seasons.

Doesn't look good for Keels coming to Durham. Two Duke insiders have him going to Villanova. Even if we get a grad transfer, would be really good to bring in another scoring guard. I'm sure the coaching staff has some contingencies, but there don't look to be very many undecided Top 50-type SGs or CGs.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    And yeah, it doesn't seem like we've deprioritized Keels. It's just a matter of whether he wants to come here or go elsewhere.
    Speaking as an outside observer (albeit as a fan of a team also, in theory, still recruiting Keels), I'd agree it doesn't feel like Duke has de-prioritized Keels so much as the season started and there just isn't nearly as much time to put into recruiting as there is during the off-season. Also, the Keels recruitment has gone on *forever*, and it just isn't possible to keep up that early intensity forever. Like, you love your wife just as much, but the dynamic is a little different between the honeymoon and the 20th anniversary.

That's actually not quite my position. I think we can do quite well with Roach and Steward as the two options at PG next year. Especially if Moore improves his ballhandling as a secondary option. Griffin may be big, but he's a playmaker with the ball in his hands. He isn't going to need a pure PG. Banchero will also be able to create for himself.

If Goldwire doesn't return, we will either have to play Moore at guard more often to allow for a 3-guard rotation, or we'll have to go the grad transfer route. But I don't think it's a must, and I certainly don't think we need 2 grad transfers.

I think we're going to have a lot of guys who prove they can create their own shot next year. I expect a big jump from Roach, and Steward doesn't actually even need a big jump but I expect one from him too. I expect Griffin and Banchero to be studs offensively. So the question mark becomes Moore's development. If he can develop (and I think scott may be onto something with the team trying to get him more involved in the ballhandling as a possible developmental ploy for him to fit into next year's rotation better, albeit a shaky option in my opinion) and be a third guard, we'll be just fine. If he can develop and be a useful ballhandling wing, then we'll probably still be just fine with Roach and Steward. If he's shaky still with the ball (and that feels like a real possibility) or if Roach or Steward struggles next year, then it will be important to have a grad transfer PG option.
    I don't see it, and I don't know why anyone would expect sufficient improvement from him in that area. He's just an average playmaker at best. The only slight positive I can think of is that he has okay vision, but he's pretty slow, his first step isn't beating most decent defenders, his ball handling is average for an ACC guard, and his pass accuracy is atrocious. He's almost as likely to throw a pass out of bounds than to a teammate. 0.78 A/TO as a freshman, and 1.35 this season. That's probably where he's going to be. I doubt he's suddenly going to be a 1.5 A/TO guy, and even if he did, that's not exactly high efficiency playmaking. I think for Duke to be a championship contending team, Wendell needs to operate in more of an off-ball role. He's fine at cutting, crashing the glass, and spotting up from the corner. I've seen plenty enough of point Wendell, and I'm fairly certain we're not a Final Four team with him running the offense.

That said, I do think Paolo and AJ are going to be much more reliable options with the ball in their hands, so Wendell going more off ball might just naturally happen. Paolo might be the best passer on the team next year. The kid is an absolute stud.

I still think we should try to get a guard transfer, especially if we don't get Keels. I assume Steward and Roach will improve, but their lack of passing vision isn't going to fix itself completely in 1 offseason, and we're also 1 twisted ankle from having to play Michael Savarino for some stretches at guard in that scenario. We need more guard depth.

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottHoo View Post
    . Like, you love your wife just as much, but the dynamic is a little different between the honeymoon and the 20th anniversary.
    Geez, you're in trouble now.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I don't see it, and I don't know why anyone would expect sufficient improvement from him in that area. He's just an average playmaker at best. The only slight positive I can think of is that he has okay vision, but he's pretty slow, his first step isn't beating most decent defenders, his ball handling is average for an ACC guard, and his pass accuracy is atrocious. He's almost as likely to throw a pass out of bounds than to a teammate. 0.78 A/TO as a freshman, and 1.35 this season. That's probably where he's going to be. I doubt he's suddenly going to be a 1.5 A/TO guy, and even if he did, that's not exactly high efficiency playmaking. I think for Duke to be a championship contending team, Wendell needs to operate in more of an off-ball role. He's fine at cutting, crashing the glass, and spotting up from the corner. I've seen plenty enough of point Wendell, and I'm fairly certain we're not a Final Four team with him running the offense.

That said, I do think Paolo and AJ are going to be much more reliable options with the ball in their hands, so Wendell going more off ball might just naturally happen. Paolo might be the best passer on the team next year. The kid is an absolute stud.

I still think we should try to get a guard transfer, especially if we don't get Keels. I assume Steward and Roach will improve, but their lack of passing vision isn't going to fix itself completely in 1 offseason, and we're also 1 twisted ankle from having to play Michael Savarino for some stretches at guard in that scenario. We need more guard depth.
    First, Moore is at 1.35 A/TO ratio, up from 0.78 last year, and you don't think he can make the small jump from 1.35 to 1.5? That seems a pretty small jump to make to me. If he even makes have the improvement he made last year (not unreasonable, considering he didn't get the typical offseason to work on this aspect of his game this past year), he'd be at about 1.7 A/TO. Which is pretty darn reasonable for a college PG. 2:1 is considered a pretty good ratio in college.

And again, we're talking about the third option here, not the starting PG. And as we've both mentioned, having a playmaking PG isn't likely to be critical for next year anyway, as so many guys are capable ballhandlers and capable shot creators for themselves. It was more important this year and last year when the team

First, Moore is at 1.35 A/TO ratio, up from 0.78 last year, and you don't think he can make the small jump from 1.35 to 1.5? That seems a pretty small jump to make to me. If he even makes have the improvement he made last year (not unreasonable, considering he didn't get the typical offseason to work on this aspect of his game this past year), he'd be at about 1.7 A/TO. Which is pretty darn reasonable for a college PG. 2:1 is considered a pretty good ratio in college.

And again, we're talking about the third option here, not the starting PG. And as we've both mentioned, having a playmaking PG isn't likely to be critical for next year anyway, as so many guys are capable ballhandlers and capable shot creators for themselves. It was more important this year and last year when the team
    I agree with your thoughts on the backcourt and Moore. I’d like to add a transfer guard, assuming no Goldwire and no Keels, just for the depth in case of injury. But I’d be very surprised if we can land a transfer who earns backcourt minutes away from JR, DS or WM.

We should have the best front court in the country. A backcourt of 1 jr and 2 sophs, all top 30 recruits, should be talented enough for us to be hunting championships.

I think that would be nice for both Wendell and Duke. It still leaves little margin for error. I think an immediately eligible guard is a pretty big need from a depth standpoint. Underperformance or injury and the third option becomes the second or first option with walk-ons backing them up. That would put a pretty big ding into what has the potential to be a special season.

I know it's looking unlikely, but hopefully Keels and/or Jordan are on the team next year and Wendell is the fourth option at SG.

Greg Parham VMI Grad Transfer

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2021...ng-with-staff/

Full disclosure: Am a VMI alumnus who has followed Greg Parham at his 4 years at VMI. He progressed from a frail backup to 1st Team All SOCON.
    He probably is not really what Duke wants because he is more of a scoring guard but it's interesting that Pitt, Clemson and NC State are taking a look.

https://roanoke.com/sports/vmi-baske...9f1077287.html

Honestly I don't think he could play above Steward/ Roach/ Maybe Goldwire/ Keels but it's an interesting thought experiment on this crushing day.

Quote Originally Posted by powellhill1981 View Post

Full disclosure: Am a VMI alumnus who has followed Greg Parham at his 4 years at VMI. He progressed from a frail backup to 1st Team All SOCON.
    He probably is not really what Duke wants because he is more of a scoring guard but it's interesting that Pitt, Clemson and NC State are taking a look.

Honestly I don't think he could play above Steward/ Roach/ Maybe Goldwire/ Keels but it's an interesting thought experiment on this crushing day.
    Looks like exactly the kind of kid we should target if no Goldwire or Keels. He shot 43% from 3 - good at any level. Worst case he’s a practice player and emergency backup. Best case he carves out a role as another shooter or figures out how to dish assists to all our front court weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by powellhill1981 View Post

If Goldwire leaves and we don't get Keels we need a guard pretty badly. There has been plenty of discussion of Moore and Griffin playing like guards but another real guard would be valuable. And he could be pretty confident that he would get a decent amount of minutes at Duke assuming it doesn't turn out that he is a lot worse than expected. The question is whether this is good enough for him. If Goldwire is back then I don't see why a pure guard would want to come to Duke (obviously assuming that DJ and Roach are also back).

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If Goldwire leaves and we don't get Keels we need a guard pretty badly. There has been plenty of discussion of Moore and Griffin playing like guards but another real guard would be valuable. And he could be pretty confident that he would get a decent amount of minutes at Duke assuming it doesn't turn out that he is a lot worse than expected. The question is whether this is good enough for him. If Goldwire is back then I don't see why a pure guard would want to come to Duke (obviously assuming that DJ and Roach are also back).
    Agree with you. If Goldwire does not come back, and we don't get Keels, then we only have two true backcourt players -- players whose best and most natural positions are in the backcourt. As his game currently looks to me and many others, Wendell Moore is not a player whose best and natural position is as a backcourt player. We could just go with DJ and Jeremy, hope and pray they both improve upon who they were this year (which I think they will), and tell ourselves that Wendell is a guard who can handle the ball well and shoot well enough to play those positions too, but I don't know why we would do that. There is going to be an awful lot of player movement this off-season, and I'd be shocked if there aren't guys looking to move who would relish the chance to play at Duke for Coach K and who think they can get significant minutes in our backcourt. And who would be a good fit with our program's culture. I think we'd be foolish not to try in a serious way to reel one or two of them in. We could try and fail, but not trying would not be smart.

Just want to remind everyone that the 2010 team had three guards that suited up.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Having only 2 guards on the roster seems like a plan made to fail. Maybe Wendell can improve his handling and distributing over the summer, but I'm with you that's a few more ifs than I like.
    Worked well in 2010, but I still agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Just want to remind everyone that the 2010 team had three guards that suited up.
    Yes. Three, not two. And the third, Andre Dawkins, shot 38% from 3 that year, and after his sophomore year (when he shot almost 43%) he was 40+% 3 point shooter over those two first two years. Right now, our third guy who is being talked about as an option in the backcourt is Wendell Moore, who after two years is a 30% 3-point shooter.

TyTy Washington

Former Creighton commit and top 30 player TyTy Washington of Chandler, Arizona Prep just announced he has decommitted from the Blue Jays. The timing, shortly after McDermott's racist comments during a postgame locker room conversation, is interesting. At any rate, he's described as a strongly-built 6'3" guard with scoring instincts and creation instincts that plays hard at both ends. Washington is #3 in neon for the AZ team in the clip below. Also, bonus Paolo content. He looks FAST and bouncy here.

Thanks for posting. There was plenty of talent on the floor there. Washington was impressive.

Paolo looked good, slimmer and faster than I had seen in other clips. He can produce "wow" plays -- see the drive and finish beginning at 1:53 on the video

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Thanks for posting. There was plenty of talent on the floor there. Washington was impressive.

Paolo looked good, slimmer and faster than I had seen in other clips. He can produce "wow" plays -- see the drive and finish beginning at 1:53 on the video
    He also had some issues finishing through contact, despite being much bigger/stronger looking than the other players on the floor. Going to be interesting to see how he does at the college level.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Former Creighton commit and top 30 player TyTy Washington of Chandler, Arizona Prep just announced he has decommitted from the Blue Jays. The timing, shortly after McDermott's racist comments during a postgame locker room conversation, is interesting. At any rate, he's described as a strongly-built 6'3" guard with scoring instincts and creation instincts that plays hard at both ends. Washington is #3 in neon for the AZ team in the clip below. Also, bonus Paolo content. He looks FAST and bouncy here.

TyTy CAN PLAY FOR ME ANYTIME !

Yes, eventually

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    True, but it wasn't clear who the third guard was going to be in March, April, or May, as I recall. I'm sure K will add a third (and maybe a fourth) guard, one way or another.