Page 63 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    I take this as a sign that one of DJ / Moore is returning.
    I think they're both returning.

where in the world would Moore go? For that matter, same for DJ...

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    AJ Griffin
    Wendell Moore
    Joey Baker
    DJ Steward
    Jeremy Roach
    JGold

Might all return. We can lose one and still have a complete backcourt.
    Amen. It's also been notable how K let Wendell run the point yesterday. Even before he stepped on campus there was speculation that he had the skillset to run the point for brief spurts to spell our point guards (people thought he might do it for Tre last year), although obviously that hasn't developed as we'd like. If K continues to work that into the gameplan, it could be an indication that he views that as part of Wendell's role next year (meaning that JG is likely going elsewhere).

If we had Jeremy, DJ, Wendell, and AJ as four guys for three perimeter spots, with Joey providing spot minutes, that's a solid and deep enough college backcourt, especially with guys like Jaemyn and potentially Banchero able to play the 3 for periods as well.

I've said from the beginning that Keels was a luxury recruit that would be great, but not necessary for next year's team to contend at the highest level. That is still my position.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

AJ Griffin
    Wendell Moore
    Joey Baker
    DJ Steward
    Jeremy Roach
    JGold

I'm talking about the ability to handle the ball well, and consistently, including under pressure. And shoot it.

JGold has already said something on IG about his last game in Cameron last week.

AJ Griffin is like 6'8" and 225 lbs and built like a rock. He's a 3-4 who could maybe -- maybe -- slide over for a little time at the 2 in a huge lineup of some sort if his shooting and handle are good enough. We don't know that yet.

Wendell Moore has shown this year that his ballhandling is unreliable. He could improve that, but he is also a 3-4 in our scheme, ideally. His shooting has been OK but he has a lot of work to do in that department as well. If he could handle it and shoot it as he needs to in order to be a solid 2-guard at 6'6", he'd be headed for the NBA.

Joey Baker is basically a 6'8" standstill shooter, who has not shown any handle or the ability to create anything for anyone. He can play shooting guard on offense with no ballhandling responsibilities, but is he guarding any opposing 2's ?

That's a lot of maybes and ifs. Too many for me. And I haven't even mentioned the maybe/if that Jeremy and DJ improve significantly from their frosh to soph years, which I am confident they will, but we need to see it happen.

I'm with CDu on this -- we have to be active in the grad transfer market, and we have to find a way to get the right one this time. Or two.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    FWIW, someone at Kentucky Sports Radio has indicated that Duke, among many others, has expressed interest in Powell. There has also been movement in the crystal ball for Trevor Keels to go to Villanova. Perhaps the two are related?

Here are highlights of Powell against Memphis, one of the better defensive teams in the country. From these and other clips I've seen, he appears to be a very good shooter and decent with his handles and off-ball movement. He's a bigger guard, around 6'6" and rebounded well for his position. Not the most athletic player, but very skilled.
    KSR says Duke, Virginia, and Louisville are all going pretty hard after Powell... but if Kentucky offers, Powell will immediately accept it. The kid grew up in Lexington so this is hardly surprising. He did not get an offer from Kentucky when he was in high school as he was not a top 100 recruit.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

AJ Griffin
    Wendell Moore
    Joey Baker
    DJ Steward
    Jeremy Roach
    JGold

If JGold decides to move on, that's a really thin backcourt. Griffin, Moore and Baker are all 3s (though maybe Griffin can fill-in at the 2).

I read something behind one paywall saying Goldwire is thinking of staying and behind another paywall saying he is gone. The second paywall generally has better sources.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I'm talking about the ability to handle the ball well, and consistently, including under pressure. And shoot it.

JGold has already said something on IG about his last game in Cameron last week.

AJ Griffin is like 6'8" and 225 lbs and built like a rock. He's a 3-4 who could maybe -- maybe -- slide over for a little time at the 2 in a huge lineup of some sort if his shooting and handle are good enough. We don't know that yet.

Wendell Moore has shown this year that his ballhandling is unreliable. He could improve that, but he is also a 3-4 in our scheme, ideally. His shooting has been OK but he has a lot of work to do in that department as well. If he could handle it and shoot it as he needs to in order to be a solid 2-guard at 6'6", he'd be headed for the NBA.

Joey Baker is basically a 6'8" standstill shooter, who has not shown any handle or the ability to create anything for anyone. He can play shooting guard on offense with no ballhandling responsibilities, but is he guarding any opposing 2's ?

That's a lot of maybes and ifs. Too many for me. And I haven't even mentioned the maybe/if that Jeremy and DJ improve significantly from their frosh to soph years, which I am confident they will, but we need to see it happen.

I'm with CDu on this -- we have to be active in the grad transfer market, and we have to find a way to get the right one this time. Or two.
    Having only 2 guards on the roster seems like a plan made to fail. Maybe Wendell can improve his handling and distributing over the summer, but I'm with you that's a few more ifs than I like.

That's actually not quite my position. I think we can do quite well with Roach and Steward as the two options at PG next year. Especially if Moore improves his ballhandling as a secondary option. Griffin may be big, but he's a playmaker with the ball in his hands. He isn't going to need a pure PG. Banchero will also be able to create for himself.

If Goldwire doesn't return, we will either have to play Moore at guard more often to allow for a 3-guard rotation, or we'll have to go the grad transfer route. But I don't think it's a must, and I certainly don't think we need 2 grad transfers.

I think we're going to have a lot of guys who prove they can create their own shot next year. I expect a big jump from Roach, and Steward doesn't actually even need a big jump but I expect one from him too. I expect Griffin and Banchero to be studs offensively. So the question mark becomes Moore's development. If he can develop (and I think scott may be onto something with the team trying to get him more involved in the ballhandling as a possible developmental ploy for him to fit into next year's rotation better, albeit a shaky option in my opinion) and be a third guard, we'll be just fine. If he can develop and be a useful ballhandling wing, then we'll probably still be just fine with Roach and Steward. If he's shaky still with the ball (and that feels like a real possibility) or if Roach or Steward struggles next year, then it will be important to have a grad transfer PG option.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That's actually not quite my position. I think we can do quite well with Roach and Steward as the two options at PG next year. Especially if Moore improves his ballhandling as a secondary option. Griffin may be big, but he's a playmaker with the ball in his hands. He isn't going to need a pure PG. Banchero will also be able to create for himself.

If Goldwire doesn't return, we will either have to play Moore at guard more often to allow for a 3-guard rotation, or we'll have to go the grad transfer route. But I don't think it's a must, and I certainly don't think we need 2 grad transfers.

I think we're going to have a lot of guys who prove they can create their own shot next year. I expect a big jump from Roach, and Steward doesn't actually even need a big jump but I expect one from him too. I expect Griffin and Banchero to be studs offensively. So the question mark becomes Moore's development. If he can develop (and I think scott may be onto something with the team trying to get him more involved in the ballhandling as a possible developmental ploy for him to fit into next year's rotation better, albeit a shaky option in my opinion) and be a third guard, we'll be just fine. If he can develop and be a useful ballhandling wing, then we'll probably still be just fine with Roach and Steward. If he's shaky still with the ball (and that feels like a real possibility) or if Roach or Steward struggles next year, then it will be important to have a grad transfer PG option.
    The question was about the backcourt. Griffin and Banchero are not backcourt players. Roach and Steward, even if they both improve, can't play 40 minutes per game. Plus of course there are issues like foul trouble, injuries, etc. We need other backcourt options. So yes, Wendell Moore could be involved. I know K is trying to make him into a primary ballhandler and facilitator of offense, but it sure feels to me like he's trying to shoehorn the kid into a position that his skillset really doesn't fit. Like I said earlier his ballhandling and decisionmaking have left an awful lot to be desired, and his shooting has been inconsistent as well. I'm not that comfortable relying on him as a primary backcourt player. Yes, the frontcourt is going to be crowded, but he can be a really good college 3, and will earn minutes there, and I'd prefer him do that than to cause problems by playing significant minutes at a position for which he is not really suited. Now if he really improves that jumpshot, that can change things. But again, a big if . . .

Ok, so I'm not going to start another land war in asia, but maybe I'll go against a sicilian when death is on the line. Even if everything you wrote comes to pass, how is the defense going to work? Wendell lacks the lateral quickness to guard the 2 let alone the 1.

What about Storm Murphy from Wofford if we need some more shooting in the backcourt (especially if Goldwire's not coming back)?

Keels?

It's still my opinion that Keels is a very, very important target for us. And over the past two weeks of poor guard play for the B. Devils, he has become even more of a make or break recruit. Guards are so important in delivering significant wins... It's an understatement to say that our guards have been lacking, and even though we hope they will improve over the summer, it would be a miracle for them to become championship backcourt material. Without adding back court shooting help, we will not be able to compete with the powerhouse back courts out there... Keels is someone who could really help.

Quote Originally Posted by revmel53 View Post
    It's still my opinion that Keels is a very, very important target for us. And over the past two weeks of poor guard play for the B. Devils, he has become even more of a make or break recruit. Guards are so important in delivering significant wins... It's an understatement to say that our guards have been lacking, and even though we hope they will improve over the summer, it would be a miracle for them to become championship backcourt material. Without adding back court shooting help, we will not be able to compete with the powerhouse back courts out there... Keels is someone who could really help.
    Yeah, I think you are underselling Jeremy and DJs potential. I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion but I don't think they'd need a miracle to improve. Look at what Matt did freshman to sophomore year.

As for Keels, it takes two to tango. I'm not a recruiting guy but everything seems to point to Duke still making him a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Ok, so I'm not going to start another land war in asia, but maybe I'll go against a sicilian when death is on the line. Even if everything you wrote comes to pass, how is the defense going to work? Wendell lacks the lateral quickness to guard the 2 let alone the 1.
    As the third option, I'm not that concerned about Moore's defense at guard. Also, I think Moore as a junior will do fine defensively. He won't handle the quickest of guards well, but his size at the position will be a plus, as will his experience.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Yeah, I think you are underselling Jeremy and DJs potential. I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion but I don't think they'd need a miracle to improve. Look at what Matt did freshman to sophomore year.

As for Keels, it takes two to tango. I'm not a recruiting guy but everything seems to point to Duke still making him a priority.
    Totally agree here. I think Roach and Steward are going to have big jumps next year. I think the combination of the pandemic screwing up their offseason prep and the fact that neither was a can't miss freshman, I think big things are in store for them next year. To a lesser degree, I feel the same about Moore, as the things he needed to improve upon weren't the things that one can improve upon in a quarantined world (i.e., he needed reps against D-1 comp to improve his ballhandling/playmaking).

And yeah, it doesn't seem like we've deprioritized Keels. It's just a matter of whether he wants to come here or go elsewhere. But I don't think he'll be as good as sophomores Steward and Roach anyway, and I think those guys are going to be really good.

As the third option, I'm not that concerned about Moore's defense at guard. Also, I think Moore as a junior will do fine defensively. He won't handle the quickest of guards well, but his size at the position will be a plus, as will his experience.

Totally agree here. I think Roach and Steward are going to have big jumps next year. I think the combination of the pandemic screwing up their offseason prep and the fact that neither was a can't miss freshman, I think big things are in store for them next year. To a lesser degree, I feel the same about Moore, as the things he needed to improve upon weren't the things that one can improve upon in a quarantined world (i.e., he needed reps against D-1 comp to improve his ballhandling/playmaking).

And yeah, it doesn't seem like we've deprioritized Keels. It's just a matter of whether he wants to come here or go elsewhere. But I don't think he'll be as good as sophomores Steward and Roach anyway, and I think those guys are going to be really good.
    Yea agreed on Roach/Steward.

Keels probably sees the logjam at guard and is looking for a less crowded backcourt.

The question was about the backcourt. Griffin and Banchero are not backcourt players. Roach and Steward, even if they both improve, can't play 40 minutes per game. Plus of course there are issues like foul trouble, injuries, etc. We need other backcourt options. So yes, Wendell Moore could be involved. I know K is trying to make him into a primary ballhandler and facilitator of offense, but it sure feels to me like he's trying to shoehorn the kid into a position that his skillset really doesn't fit. Like I said earlier his ballhandling and decisionmaking have left an awful lot to be desired, and his shooting has been inconsistent as well. I'm not that comfortable relying on him as a primary backcourt player. Yes, the frontcourt is going to be crowded, but he can be a really good college 3, and will earn minutes there, and I'd prefer him do that than to cause problems by playing significant minutes at a position for which he is not really suited. Now if he really improves that jumpshot, that can change things. But again, a big if . . .
    I think Steward and Roach will play 30-35 mpg, leaving only 10-20 mpg at backup guard. So if Moore is playing about half his minutes at SG and half at SF, I don't see that as a problem. Especially with the degree of playmaking we'll have across the board.

Obviously, injuries are always a concern. But I don't think we're going to be able to land an impact grad transfer at guard, by virtue of having a loaded starting lineup at the position. Maybe we get lucky and convince someone really good to come in and compete with the high probability that they will be a backup. But, realistically, I think either Goldwire or Moore (or both) is going to be the backup to the two sophomores.

He won't be eligible next year.

Not saying he wouldn't be a good get, but it would be for the 2022-23 season.
    Not so fast my friend

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2021/3/9/...ege-basketball

I fully agree that even if Roach and Steward improve substantially, the issues of injury, foul trouble and just minutes, makes it essential to have a 3rd competitive guard on the roster. I am not encouraged by what Moore can do at guard as his handle and court vision haven't improved. He's fine as a 3 with defense and off the ball offense. Just don't ask him to create.

I think Steward and Roach will play 30-35 mpg, leaving only 10-20 mpg at backup guard. So if Moore is playing about half his minutes at SG and half at SF, I don't see that as a problem. Especially with the degree of playmaking we'll have across the board.

Obviously, injuries are always a concern. But I don't think we're going to be able to land an impact grad transfer at guard, by virtue of having a loaded starting lineup at the position. Maybe we get lucky and convince someone really good to come in and compete with the high probability that they will be a backup. But, realistically, I think either Goldwire or Moore (or both) is going to be the backup to the two sophomores.
    Not saying it's easy to do or anything, but Michigan did it this year, with Mike Smith of Columbia and Chaundee Brown of Wake. They had Eli Brooks coming back to start at guard, Smith starts next to him, and Brown is a super 6th man, more like a 6th starter really. No apparent chemistry issues at all. It can be done.