Page 3 of 149 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Kuminga's date of birth is October 6, 2002, so he will be 17 during this upcoming year of high school basketball. That puts him on track to be an 18 year old during the 2020-21 season and to turn 19 right before the NBA season of 2021-22. While I am not 100% certain of this, were he to graduate high school next summer, I think he would be eligible to declare for the 2021 draft. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.
    if not, i bet k would let him stick around another year

Kuminga's date of birth is October 6, 2002, so he will be 17 during this upcoming year of high school basketball. That puts him on track to be an 18 year old during the 2020-21 season and to turn 19 right before the NBA season of 2021-22. While I am not 100% certain of this, were he to graduate high school next summer, I think he would be eligible to declare for the 2021 draft. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.
    I was thinking about it more from the academic perspective...is he really prepared to jump a year? I'm sure K wants him, but perhaps more so next year than this year...hard guy to push away, though if he really was interested in reclassifying.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I was thinking about it more from the academic perspective...is he really prepared to jump a year? I'm sure K wants him, but perhaps more so next year than this year...hard guy to push away, though if he really was interested in reclassifying.
    The article was talking about reclassifying to be a freshman next year (2020-2021), not this upcoming year.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    The article was talking about reclassifying to be a freshman next year (2020-2021), not this upcoming year.
    yeah, i get that...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, i get that...
    Oh, sorry, I thought your concerns about being academically ready and your reference to Coach K wanting him "this year" indicated you were under the impression he was trying to reclassify to become a freshman this year. I think his readiness (in terms of physical readiness, academics, and maturity) are factors that go into a reclassification decision and are carefully assessed by the player, his family, and the coaching staff. I generally trust the staff's judgment and thus do not have any real concerns about reclassification being too aggressive in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Oh, sorry, I thought your concerns about being academically ready and your reference to Coach K wanting him "this year" indicated you were under the impression he was trying to reclassify to become a freshman this year. I think his readiness (in terms of physical readiness, academics, and maturity) are factors that go into a reclassification decision and are carefully assessed by the player, his family, and the coaching staff. I generally trust the staff's judgment and thus do not have any real concerns about reclassification being too aggressive in this instance.
    no problemo...i think the staff has the targets they currently want for 2020, though Kuminga might be too good to disregard...can they take him late in the game without ruffling the feathers of some of the other targets (should they choose Duke)?

The Athletic (behind a paywall) has a profile up of Patrick Baldwin, Jr.

A couple of things to note: He's up to about 6'10", plays with a very high basketball IQ, and has a "pure" shooting form - compact, quick release, gooseneck follow-through.

The article quotes Baldwin's AAU teammate and Duke commit Jalen Johnson. Johnson would really love to have Baldwin follow him at Duke, although they may not be teammates in college. The junior Baldwin is also the son of Pat Baldwin, Sr., head coach at UW-Milwaukee of the Horizon League. The father is entering his third year as the head coach, following a 9-22 season. The school has been a launching pad of sorts, previously employing Bo Ryan, Bruce Pearl and, right before Baldwin, Butler's LaVall Jordan.

Duke is seen as an overwhelming favorite to land Baldwin, Jr. In the article, I learned that the father/coach commanded that his son not attempt 3-point shots until he was in middle school, when Junior was old and strong enough. A lot of kids develop poor form when they are young, heaving the ball with all their might at a young age to get it to go to the rim. Good tip!

Here are some highlights of the young man from Peach Jam over the summer. The Athletic article notes that Baldwin was playing with a bum ankle in most of the games. He looked pretty good nonetheless.

A couple of things to note: He's up to about 6'10", plays with a very high basketball IQ, and has a "pure" shooting form - compact, quick release, gooseneck follow-through.

The article quotes Baldwin's AAU teammate and Duke commit Jalen Johnson. Johnson would really love to have Baldwin follow him at Duke, although they may not be teammates in college. The junior Baldwin is also the son of Pat Baldwin, Sr., head coach at UW-Milwaukee of the Horizon League. The father is entering his third year as the head coach, following a 9-22 season. The school has been a launching pad of sorts, previously employing Bo Ryan, Bruce Pearl and, right before Baldwin, Butler's LaVall Jordan.

Duke is seen as an overwhelming favorite to land Baldwin, Jr. In the article, I learned that the father/coach commanded that his son not attempt 3-point shots until he was in middle school, when Junior was old and strong enough. A lot of kids develop poor form when they are young, heaving the ball with all their might at a young age to get it to go to the rim. Good tip!

Here are some highlights of the young man from Peach Jam over the summer. The Athletic article notes that Baldwin was playing with a bum ankle in most of the games. He looked pretty good nonetheless.

Good summary of the Atlantic article, which mostly covers Baldwin's personal history and also mentions that he is an "honors student" in high school.

Paolo Banchero, according to his twitter account, has set official visits for the next year.

UNC: Sept 27-29 (practice?)
    Kentucky: Oct. 11-13 (Big Blue Madness)
    Duke: Oct. 17-20 (Countdown to Craziness)
    Tennessee: Oct. 25-27 (practice?)
    Gonzaga: Jan. 18-19 (home game vs. BYU)

Banchero had some chatter over the summer about reclassifying to the Class of 2020. He recently put the kibosh on that one and seems to be intent on playing his junior and senior years of high school. Banchero is from the Seattle area, so he will likely visit the hometown Washington team over the next year as well, at least on an unofficial visit.

The Athletic had an article on the young big man in late July in which he was favorably compared to Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer. Read into that what you will.

^ Duke really likes him, especially in that class.

Paolo Banchero, according to his twitter account, has set official visits for the next year.

UNC: Sept 27-29 (practice?)***
    Kentucky: Oct. 11-13 (Big Blue Madness)
    Duke: Oct. 17-20 (Countdown to Craziness)
    Tennessee: Oct. 25-27 (practice?)
    Gonzaga: Jan. 18-19 (home game vs. BYU)

1) Test drive free rental cars
    2) Interview tutor prospects
    3) Find places to hang out instead of going to class
    4) Take dance lessons for the ridiculous pre-game rituals
    5) Learn how to control barfing while wearing that putrid blue

Just kidding. No knock on him personally. However, serious knocks on that cesspool formerly known as an honest, upstanding university.

Another huge reason to love basketball as a sport imo: despite having the ridiculous talents of Jalen Johnson, Patrick Baldwin(though hobbled by an ankle injury), Jaemyn Brakefield and others, Phenom U. did not make it to the Bracket Round(Final 8) at Peach Jam.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

New Offer Alert: A.J. Griffin

Andrew Slater has an update via twitter on A.J. Griffin, a 5-star recruit from the Class of 2021. Duke has extended an offer and will be watching the young man during the first day of the fall live period.

Griffin is a 6'7" SF from White Plains, NY and is the son of former Seton Hall standout and long-time NBA player and assistant coach Adrian Griffin. A.J.'s older brother is Alan Griffin, who just finished his freshman season at Illinois. Older sister Aubrey is also a Division 1 basketball player, McDonald's All-American, and a current freshman at UConn. A.J. appears to be the most highly rated prospect in his family. He was a key member of the USA U16 team over the summer and contains a mix of athleticism and shooting for his position. Given his slashing and shooting ability, Griffin appears to be able to play either the wing or as a stretch-4 position in college.

It seems that Kentucky has taken the lead in the Terrance Clarke recruitment while Duke has shifted attention to Griffin of late. The interest appears mutual. Here are highlights of Griffin from over the summer in which he helped lead Team USA to a victory over Canada in the Gold Medal game.

Follow-up from Adam Zagoria's website: AJ Griffin will be making a visit to Duke for Countdown to Craziness on October 18th. The youngest of the Griffins will be visiting with his mother, Audrey.

After visiting AJ Griffin, in Westchester County, NY, Chris Carawell made it down to Memphis, TN to visit with one of the top point guards in the class of 2021, Kennedy Chandler. Chandler appears to be the top-rated point guard in the junior class. The hometown Memphis Tigers are involved as are pretty much every other high major program.

Andrew Slater has an update via twitter on A.J. Griffin, a 5-star recruit from the Class of 2021. Duke has extended an offer and will be watching the young man during the first day of the fall live period.

Griffin is a 6'7" SF from White Plains, NY and is the son of former Seton Hall standout and long-time NBA player and assistant coach Adrian Griffin. A.J.'s older brother is Alan Griffin, who just finished his freshman season at Illinois. Older sister Aubrey is also a Division 1 basketball player, McDonald's All-American, and a current freshman at UConn. A.J. appears to be the most highly rated prospect in his family. He was a key member of the USA U16 team over the summer and contains a mix of athleticism and shooting for his position. Given his slashing and shooting ability, Griffin appears to be able to play either the wing or as a stretch-4 position in college.

It seems that Kentucky has taken the lead in the Terrance Clarke recruitment while Duke has shifted attention to Griffin of late. The interest appears mutual. Here are highlights of Griffin from over the summer in which he helped lead Team USA to a victory over Canada in the Gold Medal game.

AJ reminds me a bit of Myles Jones, the All-America Duke lax player a couple years ago, from this picture and others. Just a random thought on a workday afternoon.

Excited that the staff is involved and that interest appears mutual.

After visiting AJ Griffin, in Westchester County, NY, Chris Carawell made it down to Memphis, TN to visit with one of the top point guards in the class of 2021, Kennedy Chandler. Chandler appears to be the top-rated point guard in the junior class. The hometown Memphis Tigers are involved as are pretty much every other high major program.

Happy to see recruiting right in Penny's backyard. No reason to ceed Memphis to Penny and Cal.

https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/stat...09485455544329

Duke visiting 2021 5* Chet Holmgren out of Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post

Somebody please feed that kid a steak or three!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post

That is a very interesting development. Kid is blowing up (in style of play if not weight).

He was at Steph Curry's camp over the summer and had an extremely nice move, a behind the back dribble and passed right by Curry to get to the hoop. He can shoot it, dribble it, and has some good quickness. He might be one of the next great NBA centers if he can add any amount of muscle.