Page 29 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    He looks fairly good, but I didn't come away salivating. I also have no sense for the level of competition.

If it weren't for your taking the time to post and your general positivity surrounding him, I would assume this guy is just another reasonably good high school basketball player with no realistic shot at going to Duke.

- Chillin
    The guy he's squaring up with in the video is Keyonte George, a 5 star currently ranked 13th in the Class of 2022 by ESPN and 12th by 24/7. George just picked up an Arizona offer.

He dropped 31 on George. So I'd say he's used to a high level of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Thanks J! And yes, he's about to be on the rise. Not sure if Duke would want him just yet but he is so solid. Reminds me of a Kyle Singler with Dave McClure well roundedness.
    Am I misremembering Dave McClure? Was he more well-rounded than Kyle Singler? I'm confused, is that a way of saying he plays defense but has no offensive game or is basically purely a "glue guy"?

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Am I misremembering Dave McClure? Was he more well-rounded than Kyle Singler? I'm confused, is that a way of saying he plays defense but has no offensive game or is basically purely a "glue guy"?
    I'd think of McClure as an extremely impoverished man's Kyle Singler...

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    More in the sense that’s he’s a scorer that’s also very fundamentally sound - like a glue guy who gets buckets without being flashy about it. Safe to say neither Kyle or Dave were flashy.

More in the sense that’s he’s a scorer that’s also very fundamentally sound - like a glue guy who gets buckets without being flashy about it. Safe to say neither Kyle or Dave were flashy.
    Dave McClure may have been fundamentally sound, but he wasn't in any way a scorer. His career scoring average at Duke was 6.4 points per 40 minutes. By contrast, Javin DeLaurier's career scoring average was 10.1 points per 40 minutes.

Would you call Javin a scorer? Guys who I'd call scorers are like RJ Barrett, who averaged 25.7 points per 40 minutes.

Guys like David McClure are always worth having around. But, yes, he was a complementary player. It's never once occurred to me to compare him to Kyle Singler.

Not much of a scorer, that McClure guy. Except at the end of games against Clemson.

Pedulla...

looks pretty good to me. Seems fundamentally sound, with great outside shot, and not afraid to go inside, though neither team had giant front court players. I would imagine UVA will be all over him!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Dave McClure may have been fundamentally sound, but he wasn't in any way a scorer. His career scoring average at Duke was 6.4 points per 40 minutes. By contrast, Javin DeLaurier's career scoring average was 10.1 points per 40 minutes.

Would you call Javin a scorer? Guys who I'd call scorers are like RJ Barrett, who averaged 25.7 points per 40 minutes.
    You must not be paying attention. That's literally the whole point of including Singler. The two are not being compared. They are being combined.

Dave, I think the problem with your original comparison is that it implied Kyle Singler wasn't well-rounded. Not what you meant, I'm sure but it could been read that way.

You must not be paying attention. That's literally the whole point of including Singler. The two are not being compared. They are being combined.
    Sorry, I misread. As Jim implied, not sure McClure was any more fundamentally sound than Singler. So combining the two doesn't seem to get you much more than just Singler.

Nice article in The Undefeated with some quotes about Blakeney

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Kenny and Makur were both (separately) interviewed on ESPN's Daily podcast this morning - each gives a good interview.
    https://theundefeated.com/features/m...e-the-culture/

Maker sounds like an impressive kid. Glad to hear Kenny is rocking it.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Sorry, I misread. As Jim implied, not sure McClure was any more fundamentally sound than Singler. So combining the two doesn't seem to get you much more than just Singler.
    You and Jim are both correct. I should have been a little bit more specific. But it wasn't just skills I was looking at. It was the kid's demeanor. We've seen a frustrated Kyle a time or two but I thought long and hard about McClure b/c I can't ever really remember seeing him rattled.

I like watching how players respond to extreme competition - if they don't flinch, they are a gamer. Now that I think about it - I should have used Grayson Allen as a good example of who he reminds me of. Probably not quite as athletic though. The way he plays through contact though - definitely Grayson. But his profile is more like a John Stockton.

Duke Chronicle Q&A with Patrick Baldwin, Jr.

The Chronicle had a lengthy Q&A with top prospect Patrick Baldwin, Jr. that covers a range of topics. You get the impression from the interview that Baldwin knows himself very well and what he wants to accomplish on and off the court. That is a unique trait in a person his age.

There is nothing earth-shattering in this article. The prospect doesn't tip his hand, although there appears to be a strong interest in Duke. The response to the last question, about what it is like to be recruited by his father at UW-Milwaukee, is a standout in the article. Patrick Sr. will conduct Zoom calls with his son, just like Coach K or John Calipari. Sr. does this by going to another room in the house. It's a keen insight into the relationship between father and son.

Full Q&A: https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...win-jr-coach-k

Reading that Duke is interested in Harrison Ingram

FWIW, and not to anyone's surprise, Andrew Slater just tweeted Kennedy Chandler will pick Tennessee. Exact tweet below.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...054722052?s=20

"Barring anything unforeseen, Tennessee & fairly soon"

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    FWIW, and not to anyone's surprise, Andrew Slater just tweeted Kennedy Chandler will pick Tennessee. Exact tweet below.

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post

Wow, that is an interesting turn of events. Chandler has been the only PG target for Duke. Rick Barnes is bringing in a lot of backcourt talent of late.

I hope this means Jeremy Roach and/or DJ Steward will be around in '21-22. I'd feel pretty good about Duke's roster if there was some continuity at the guard position. Having an experienced and talented backcourt would be awesome to pair with the talent on the wings the team could have.

Will this mean Banchero from WA may join Chandler. That would be unfortunate for 2021 class potential recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Will this mean Banchero from WA may join Chandler. That would be unfortunate for 2021 class potential recruits.
    The two have talked about teaming up in college. This helps Tennessee with Banchero, but it doesn't necessarily rule out anyone or anything. I have not read anything that suggests Chandler and Banchero are as tight a package deal as Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor. The two know each other and have discussed the idea of playing together. But it hardly seems like they are dead-set on making that happen. But who knows what they really want? We shall see.

I still contend that Patrick Baldwin, Jr. is the most important recruit for Duke. He is considered among the very best players in his class and has an almost perfect skillset for the college game and NBA. At 6'9" plus with his shooting, his basketball IQ, and his overall game, he's going to be very, very good.

Duke already has an ace in the hole in the form of AJ Griffin. And there are plenty of players that could remain on the roster to fill out what could be a very talented team. Moreover, there are other very talented players that Duke is targeting for the Class of 2021. While the idea of the "monster class" that had formed in minds of some (me included!) has changed, a "new monster" might still be in the cards.

Darn it. Wow.

It feels like we've been missing on guards recently. Recently being the last 2-3 years. Preempting the Jim Sumner Tate Armstrong-esque examples of how Duke has had sensational guards for 900 years.

- Chillin