Page 46 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
    one report has it as a dislocated ankle which, while not good, is quite probably far better than an ACL or achilles injury...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    one report has it as a dislocated ankle which, while not good, is quite probably far better than an ACL or achilles injury...
    An Achilles injury (a rupture) would be the worst, and toughest to come back from, compared to those others. Many never do, even after surgery. I don't know if an ankle dislocation affects the Achilles or not, but I hope not.

Get well Patrick, and come to Duke!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    An Achilles injury (a rupture) would be the worst, and toughest to come back from, compared to those others. Many never do, even after surgery. I don't know if an ankle dislocation affects the Achilles or not, but I hope not.

Get well Patrick, and come to Duke!
    I'd love to hear billy's take (or another with some ortho knowledge) on how bad (or maybe not so bad) an ankle dislocation is.

No clue whatsoever, but I would think that an ankle dislocation per se would not affect the Achilles. But emphasis on the no clue whatsoever.

I hope he's ok and it's something he can fully recover from.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I'd love to hear billy's take (or another with some ortho knowledge) on how bad (or maybe not so bad) an ankle dislocation is.

No clue whatsoever, but I would think that an ankle dislocation per se would not affect the Achilles. But emphasis on the no clue whatsoever.

https://www.stoneclinic.com/ankle-di...rehab-protocol

Linky to report of dislocated ankle. This seems better than an ACL or achilles tear for long term impact, but who knows. An ankle injury derailed Grant's career. It is at least three months of not playing competitive basketball.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Linky to report of dislocated ankle. This seems better than an ACL or achilles tear for long term impact, but who knows. An ankle injury derailed Grant's career. It is at least three months of not playing competitive basketball.
    I believe one of the problems with Grant's injury is that he did play competitive basketball.

Injuries are awful, especially for promising young players who have not yet been able to cash in on their immense gifts. No matter what school he picks, I hope Baldwin's injury is not long-term serious.

From talking to folks who watched him in high school, I'm convinced Harry Giles would be a NBA All-Star today if not for his back-to-back knee injuries.

-Jason "don't even get me started on Randy Livingston... two time high school player of the year (which is unheard of)... coulda been one of the greats" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post

I’m not an ortho but I did dislocate my ankle twice playing hoops (once in college and once in my late 20s). If there is no structural damage it’s mostly a recovery time issue - it takes a long time. One time I was casted and the other time not, but it was 4-6 weeks with no weight bearing on crutches and then another month or two of physical therapy. The Doc said it would have healed faster if it was a broken bone. I didn’t have any explosives before so I can’t really say it robbed me of anything! Biggest long term issue is risk of re-injury is higher since ligaments are stretched. If his injury is anything like mine he will miss the season but should recover 100%. That said, top level athletes have better access to treatment and likely better genetics, so he could recover even faster.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    What's he good at? As a freshman, he shot 15.4% from 3 and 43.3% from 2.

I like our crop of big men, most of whom aren't going pro next year.
    We may lose < 50% of our big men: lose 3 (Johnson, Hurt, Tapé) out of 7 (Williams, Jaemyn, Coleman, Worthington). But that doesn’t really tell the story. Johnson and Hurt will start most of the games this year as our bigs. Both are going pro so that’s 2 starters and the majority of big men production.

That said, what I like is the incomers with a 3/4 in Griffin and a stud big man in Paolo. If Williams sticks around and makes a sophomore jump, then we will be just fine.

But let’s be clear, we will likely lose the majority of our big man production from this year.
    Last edited by -jk; 12-05-2020 at 08:00 PM. Reason: If your keyboard doesn't have an easy é, add an apostrophe(') to Tape for DBR to autocorrect to Tapé

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    We may lose < 50% of our big men: lose 3 (Johnson, Hurt, Tapé) out of 7 (Williams, Jaemyn, Coleman, Worthington). But that doesn’t really tell the story. Johnson and Hurt will start most of the games this year as our bigs. Both are going pro so that’s 2 starters and the majority of big men production.

That said, what I like is the incomers with a 3/4 in Griffin and a stud big man in Paolo. If Williams sticks around and makes a sophomore jump, then we will be just fine.

But let’s be clear, we will likely lose the majority of our big man production from this yyear.
    It doesn’t change your math at all, but Tapé could stay next year if he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Wasn’t Gordon Hayward’s injury a dislocated ankle?

Hoping for the best for Patrick.

Question - didn’t Harry G do something where he arrived at Duke early (maybe even his second semester of HS) to help with his rehab?

Duke has had a history of doing the right thing for recruits who were injured in HS - Giles, Roach, Carrawell.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Question - didn’t Harry G do something where he arrived at Duke early (maybe even his second semester of HS) to help with his rehab?

Duke has had a history of doing the right thing for recruits who were injured in HS - Giles, Roach, Carrawell.
    Yes, shortly after Harry got hurt, he came to Duke for rehab. Duke doctors also saw some problems in his recovery and performed surgery late in the summer to fix it.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It looks like ESPN has updated their 2021 rankings. Not sure where they were before, but below are our commits and a couple other ones we are still in the running for (that I've heard)

3 Paolo Banchero - committed
    4 Patrick Baldwin
    14 AJ Griffin - committed
    19 Trevor Keels
    29 Charles Bediako

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...playerrankings

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    It looks like ESPN has updated their 2021 rankings. Not sure where they were before, but below are our commits and a couple other ones we are still in the running for (that I've heard)

3 Paolo Banchero - committed
    4 Patrick Baldwin
    14 AJ Griffin - committed
    19 Trevor Keels
    29 Charles Bediako

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...playerrankings
    There are not 13 better players in this class than AJ Griffin. That's laughable. He's a top 10 player easily and should be a borderline top 5 player at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    Wasn’t Gordon Hayward’s injury a dislocated ankle?

Hoping for the best for Patrick.

Hayward fractured his tibia as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    There are not 13 better players in this class than AJ Griffin. That's laughable. He's a top 10 player easily and should be a borderline top 5 player at worst.
    Honest question here - how do we know that? We haven't really seen these guys play in a while, and certainly not against elite level competition. (Maybe you have seen them; as a non-insider type of fan I have not.)

Any update on Baldwin's ankle?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Honest question here - how do we know that? We haven't really seen these guys play in a while, and certainly not against elite level competition. (Maybe you have seen them; as a non-insider type of fan I have not.)
    I'm no insider, either, but every other recruiting service has AJ Griffin as a top 10 recruit in his class. And you see his name mentioned among the NBA mock draft folks all the time. It's possible that he's not going to turn out as well as we hope, but from a potential standpoint, few can compare. He's listed somewhere around 6'6" or 6'7" with plus length, elite athleticism, an accurate jump shot, and noted defensive focus. The kid has huge upside, nearly as high as anyone in his high school graduating class. Maybe I'm drinking the Kool-Aid a little, but it seems pretty clear that he's a near lock to be a difference maker in college and highly prized NBA draft pick that will surely land in the lottery.

Capture.JPG

Interesting twitter exchange here

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Capture.JPG

Interesting twitter exchange here
    Well, that's not what you want.