Page 49 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    It may not seem like it, but Griffin's composite ranking (per 247) of #7 is meaningfully, significantly different from Johnson's composite ranking of #13. Griffin should be a better player (and imo, a much better player). Also, I'm as big a fan of Hurt as anyone, but Banchero is just on another level as far as talent is concerned. The hype for next year's team being possibly Coach K's last, best chance at a title is fair.

And we probably aren't done yet in this class.
    I agree that Banchero in on another level as a prospect than anyone that Duke has on the roster this year. Imagine how different this team would look this year on offense if they had a reliable post scorer like him. I think that's going to make life a million times easier for the guards and they will be able to operate with more space as a result.

It's possible that Duke has at least 3 guys on the roster next year that are head-and-shoulders better prospects than either Johnson or Hurt. Add to that a core of experienced players - Roach, Steward, Moore, Baker, Brakefield, Coleman, and Williams - and you have the makings of a both a talented and experienced team.

In my mind, the most important thing will be that the team will have a normal summer and a normal season without the disruptions that have contributed to derailing this year's team. By the end of January last year, Duke had already played 19 games. This team has played 10. Where would this roster be if they had a full summer and an extra 9 games played?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I agree that Banchero in on another level as a prospect than anyone that Duke has on the roster this year. Imagine how different this team would look this year on offense if they had a reliable post scorer like him. I think that's going to make life a million times easier for the guards and they will be able to operate with more space as a result.

It's possible that Duke has at least 3 guys on the roster next year that are head-and-shoulders better prospects than either Johnson or Hurt. Add to that a core of experienced players - Roach, Steward, Moore, Baker, Brakefield, Coleman, and Williams - and you have the makings of a both a talented and experienced team.

In my mind, the most important thing will be that the team will have a normal summer and a normal season without the disruptions that have contributed to derailing this year's team. By the end of January last year, Duke had already played 19 games. This team has played 10. Where would this roster be if they had a full summer and an extra 9 games played?
    Not sure. Other teams would have had a full summer and an extra 9 games too so....

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Well of course Roach should take a big step forward. He has nowhere to go but up based on his play so far.
    Prior to the past two games, Roach was playing at honorable mention All-ACC level. He was awful in his first few games and in his last two. But in between he was actually playing pretty well.

But yes, in aggregate he has plenty of room to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Not sure. Other teams would have had a full summer and an extra 9 games too so...
    Most other teams aren’t dealing with as much turnover though.

It is unquestionably true that the pandemic has affected everyone. It is also true that it hasn’t affected everyone equally. Teams with little experience and completely redesigning their style (like ours) have almost certainly been more affected than “system” teams and/or those with loads of experience.

Any updates on Keels and Baldwin?

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Any updates on Keels and Baldwin?
    Yup, they still have not announced anything
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I don't think we'll see anything from either Keels or Baldwin until after the season. There are reasons to be optimistic on both but it's also possible they choose to go elsewhere.

Once the season is over, I think we'll see a lot of movement on both the Class of 2021 and the Class of 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    This is, ultimately, his choice. I don't have a good read on his camp or his desire to play in college vs the NBA. If I was in his camp, though, I'd point out that being a top scorer on a team that will compete for being #1 in the country could earn him a lot of attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Spoiler: His desire is to play in the NBA >>> college.
    Obviously, the spoiler alert is correct, but it is in response to a slightly mis-phrased comment. The real question is comparing his desire to play in college vs. going pro in some capacity.

Even if Steward is drafted, he has at best an outside shot of actually making an NBA roster. So, he's most likely looking at a year in college vs. a year in the G League or a year overseas. If he's guaranteed a job in the NBA, sure, he should jump at the chance. There's a fair amount of season left, so if he starts shooting the lights out and racking up steals and/or assists, then yes, there's a possibility he'll get to that point this year. But based on the performances we've seen so far, I just don't see it as being at all likely that Steward will be playing in the NBA next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yup, they still have not announced anything

Lol... walked right into that one!

Four star guard Isaac McKneely committed to UVA. When was the last time Bennett beat out both Cal and Roy for a recruit?

https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/01/30/...y-to-virginia/

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Four star guard Isaac McKneely committed to UVA. When was the last time Bennett beat out both Cal and Roy for a recruit?

Bet he plays more for Va than he will for the cheats.

GTHC

GoDuke!

I think the article says he’s a 2022 commit

This may be misplaced in this thread, but it's related to our 2021 recruiting class (mods feel free to relocate, as needed)--Jon Rothstein just reported that Duke will play Gonzaga on November 26 in T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas. The Duke squad will be tested under the bright lights on prime time in a MAJOR matchup. Should be a good one...let's hope Paolo, AGJ, PBJ, and Trevor (and the rest of of our guys, clearly) are all ready to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    This may be misplaced in this thread, but it's related to our 2021 recruiting class (mods feel free to relocate, as needed)--Jon Rothstein just reported that Duke will play Gonzaga on November 26 in T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas. The Duke squad will be tested under the bright lights on prime time in a MAJOR matchup. Should be a good one...let's hope Paolo, AGJ, PBJ, and Trevor (and the rest of of our guys, clearly) are all ready to go for it.

We should work on making that an annual contest. Same location.

Baldwin Jr. 75% sure he knows where he wants to go.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TiptonEdi...45001308991488

Story also mentions that he has still not resumed running on that ankle he injured. It's been around two months.

Milwaukee and Duke both have 7-8 records this season... just sayin'
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The local paper up here in Westchester County, NY, is reporting that AJ Griffin probably won't play this season. I am not a subscriber so I can't see the details but I believe the gist of the story is that these schools are going to be playing a very abbreviated schedule with no clear playoff plan and it's not seen as being worth him potentially injuring himself.

https://www.lohud.com/get-access/?re...F4450027001%2F

^ before setting off anybody’s alarm bells, I assume you’re talking about his current high school season? I saw a similar article that confirmed the same. It wasn’t a pay site but I forgot where it is 8-) I believe Baldwin is also not currently playing as he recovers from injury.

^ before setting off anybody’s alarm bells, I assume you’re talking about his current high school season? I saw a similar article that confirmed the same. It wasn’t a pay site but I forgot where it is 8-) I believe Baldwin is also not currently playing as he recovers from injury.
    Yes, this season. He plays at a Catholic High School (Stepinac). In a usual year, especially one where they have a lot of D1 talent, they'd hit a bunch of national events on the East Coast, like the City of Palms, and then play some of the NYC Catholic powerhouses..Christ the King, Molloy, Cardinal Hayes, St. Raymonds etc., and always two big games with local rival Iona Prep (hello Ty Jerome). This year, they are scrambling as many of those NYC schools aren't even happening in person. It's kind of a mess. I feel bad for him and the team - all these teams really - because they were going to be really good.