Page 115 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    No Corvette, but from same article - gf Andrea showing Bob some dance moves:

Attachment 13030
    Thanks for posting the pictures. I spent many an hour in that pool room.

Quote Originally Posted by Messimorgan17 View Post
    To me this is the bottom line and If it has been already said above, I apologize. It’s one thing to play for your dad. However, to save his job? It’s not saving his job. It’s like trying to plug a big hole in the side of a submarine that has been hit by depth charges. Also, he has been coached by his dad to some extent his entire life. If he wants to really progress, it’s extremely helpful to listen to a different voice and there is no better voice than coach k. Finally, he needs to learni to play next to other great players. He will be doing that in the nba.
    This is the rational, sensible view. But we can also understand the family element. Tough situation for a young man. In the end, it’s likely a decision has already been made. A few weeks ago he was “80%” decided, so the mystery is why he hasn’t committed. It may likewise be the great mystery of our offseason, with a distant second being DJ’s draft decision.

yeah, I'm not at all questioning the notion that playing for Dad has its merits. I am questioning the notion that he would somehow screw up the frontcourt tandem of Banchero and Williams.

I think he may be coming. If going to play for your Dad, plenty of incentive to already announce. I just can’t imagine they are playing a game of, give Dad an extension and I’ll sign. And why choose Georgetown over Duke? At Duke you will play on a legit championship contender and gain major national exposure to build the brand. I just don’t believe a few more minutes and a few more shots at Georgetown will improve the draft stock of the #4 recruit in the country. So no inside knowledge to base it on, but he may be coming. Don’t rule it out..

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I think he may be coming. If going to play for your Dad, plenty of incentive to already announce. I just can’t imagine they are playing a game of, give Dad an extension and I’ll sign. And why choose Georgetown over Duke? At Duke you will play on a legit championship contender and gain major national exposure to build the brand. I just don’t believe a few more minutes and a few more shots at Georgetown will improve the draft stock of the #4 recruit in the country. So no inside knowledge to base it on, but he may be coming. Don’t rule it out..
    Yes and With all due respect, although Patrick is a HOF player and more than paid his dues as an assistant, he’s just not coach k nor is the Hoya program Duke ( the days of John Thompson are long past ). I can see if you are a big man, the mystique of Patrick may lure you to the Hoyas but not a PF SF etc potential position less basketball and no where better to prepare you for the nba than duke.

I saw that Marcus Bagley (younger brother of Marvin) entered his name into the transfer portal and intends to transfer to Duke unless Patrick Baldwin commits to Duke. He also entered his name into the NBA draft. I have no idea what would do with yet another forward, but I guess depth is better than no depth?

Bagley averaged 10.6 points and 6.2 points as a freshman last year for Arizona St.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I saw that Marcus Bagley (younger brother of Marvin) entered his name into the transfer portal and intends to transfer to Duke unless Patrick Baldwin commits to Duke. He also entered his name into the NBA draft. I have no idea what would do with yet another forward, but I guess depth is better than no depth?

Bagley averaged 10.6 points and 6.2 points as a freshman last year for Arizona St.
    Ah, there it is. Bagley and Bobby Hurley coming to Duke in the next 2-3 years.

GoDuke!

His statistics look more like a wing than a big; 68% of his shots this past season were three point attempts. He rebounds pretty well for a wing. No idea how good he is on defense. Didn't shoot incredibly well as a frosh, but if he has a good freshman-to-sophomore leap, he could be a pretty good consolation prize if Baldwin goes elsewhere.

I have seen that he entered his name in the draft and then later into the portal, but haven’t seen any mention of Duke. Where did you hear that part?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    His statistics look more like a wing than a big; 68% of his shots this past season were three point attempts. He rebounds pretty well for a wing. No idea how good he is on defense. Didn't shoot incredibly well as a frosh, but if he has a good freshman-to-sophomore leap, he could be a pretty good consolation prize if Baldwin goes elsewhere.
    He is sort of a Jaemyn Brakefield comp. A skilled college PF who fancies himself a stretch-4.

Would Coach K poach a player from Hurley?

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    I have no idea if Marcus Bagley is interested in Duke, but in this wild west free agency of the transfer portal where anyone can go anywhere and play immediately, I truly doubt any of the coaches consider this to be "poaching."
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I have seen that he entered his name in the draft and then later into the portal, but haven’t seen any mention of Duke. Where did you hear that part?
    Sorry I should have clarified, it's been circulating around Twitter/IG, but nothing official yet.

I agree with this, he's basically the same position as AJ Griffin. I'm not sure where his minutes would come from. Basically, he would be backing up Paolo at the 4, because I don't see him playing over AJ/Joey/Wendell at the 3. It doesn't seem like there are more than 5-10 rotation minutes available to him. I think the most likely scenario is that Bagley enters the NBA draft.

I wish we could get a guard transfer for depth. Jaylen Blakes is going to have to be a significant rotation player if any of our guards misses time.
    Last edited by kAzE; 04-25-2021 at 04:13 PM.

If he has put his name in the transfer portal then it is not a poach. Also, remember that K took Miles Plumlee, who decommitted from Stanford when Johnny D got the coaching job there.

Uh, yes.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I agree with this, he's basically the same position as AJ Griffin. I'm not sure where his minutes would come from. Basically, he would be backing up Paolo at the 4, because I don't see him playing over AJ/Joey/Wendell at the 3. It doesn't seem like there are more than 5-10 rotation minutes available to him. I think the most likely scenario is that Bagley enters the NBA draft.

I wish we could get a guard transfer for depth. Jaylen Blakes is going to have to be a significant rotation player if any of our guards misses time.
    The fact that we're still pursuing Baldwin suggests that K thinks AJ Griffin can play at least some SG. Depending on available talent on the roster, Coach K has in the past found ways to get 10+ minutes for as many as five perimeter players, but he rarely gives regular minutes to more than three bigs. Right now we have Roach, Keels, Moore, Griffin, Baker, and Blakes as perimeter options. Presumably someone like Marcus Bagley would be more likely to see time on the perimeter ahead of Baker and Blakes than he would to see a lot of minutes as the fourth big behind Theo John.

Whether Griffin can actually defend SGs and/or whether Baldwin or Bagley can successfully defend SFs is yet to be determined.

Using the same logic, depending on our perimeter guys defensive chops (e.g., how well can Griffin defend SGs; how well can Moore and/or Keels defend PGs), it's not inevitable that Blakes would have to play a big role, even if Roach or Keels has to miss time (unless K thinks he's a superior option, in which case Blakes playing a larger role should be OK).

does not sound like there is much Duke interest in young Mr. Bagley.

Zero (new or concrete) evidence, but I believe Baldwin ends up at Duke.

I'll step out on a ledge as well by saying that we NEED him to compete for a title. He really adds a serious three-level-scoring wing/guard. I thought we got that in JJ last year but, alas.

I am of the opinion that adding Baldwin makes this team more dynamic than the 2018 class. No one will likely replace Zion in terms of individual impact but with the tremendous range of skills that the new group has (plus Baldwin) I cannot imagine how an Elite 8 finish is a baseline.

I imagine that has been the push; and an honest one at that. I hope he joins because Duke will be trouble next year if he does.

The fact that we're still pursuing Baldwin suggests that K thinks AJ Griffin can play at least some SG. Depending on available talent on the roster, Coach K has in the past found ways to get 10+ minutes for as many as five perimeter players, but he rarely gives regular minutes to more than three bigs. Right now we have Roach, Keels, Moore, Griffin, Baker, and Blakes as perimeter options. Presumably someone like Marcus Bagley would be more likely to see time on the perimeter ahead of Baker and Blakes than he would to see a lot of minutes as the fourth big behind Theo John.

Whether Griffin can actually defend SGs and/or whether Baldwin or Bagley can successfully defend SFs is yet to be determined.

Using the same logic, depending on our perimeter guys defensive chops (e.g., how well can Griffin defend SGs; how well can Moore and/or Keels defend PGs), it's not inevitable that Blakes would have to play a big role, even if Roach or Keels has to miss time (unless K thinks he's a superior option, in which case Blakes playing a larger role should be OK).
    I'm slightly worried about the potential problems we may have matching up on the perimeter. This is a very big team on the perimeter. Unless we decide to play zone as our base defense, switches will be inevitable, so pretty much everyone is going to have to be able to stay in front of opposing ball handlers. With Jeremy Roach being the only scholarship player smaller than 6'5", we're going to asking a lot of guys to be guarding smaller, quicker players. Hopefully Jeremy, AJ, Wendell, and Trevor are all physically capable of doing that defensively.

It actually would not be shocking to see this team play a lot of zone, similar to the Bagley/Carter team. We may not have the personnel to play the type of M2M we normally do. Jordan Goldwire was a pretty huge loss.

I'm slightly worried about the potential problems we may have matching up on the perimeter. This is a very big team on the perimeter. Unless we decide to play zone as our base defense, switches will be inevitable, so pretty much everyone is going to have to be able to stay in front of opposing ball handlers. With Jeremy Roach being the only scholarship player smaller than 6'5", we're going to asking a lot of guys to be guarding smaller, quicker players. Hopefully Jeremy, AJ, Wendell, and Trevor are all physically capable of doing that defensively.

It actually would not be shocking to see this team play a lot of zone, similar to the Bagley/Carter team. We may not have the personnel to play the type of M2M we normally do. Jordan Goldwire was a pretty huge loss.
    I thought Blakes is 6'2". He will get some PT and is a scholarship player.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefan5656 View Post
    Zero (new or concrete) evidence, but I believe Baldwin ends up at Duke.

I'll step out on a ledge as well by saying that we NEED him to compete for a title. He really adds a serious three-level-scoring wing/guard. I thought we got that in JJ last year but, alas.

I am of the opinion that adding Baldwin makes this team more dynamic than the 2018 class. No one will likely replace Zion in terms of individual impact but with the tremendous range of skills that the new group has (plus Baldwin) I cannot imagine how an Elite 8 finish is a baseline.

I imagine that has been the push; and an honest one at that. I hope he joins because Duke will be trouble next year if he does.
    yes, the very knowledgeable turnert who posts on the Devils Den has described Baldwin's game as as polished as you'll see a kid coming out of high school...(having said that he does not expect Baldwin at Duke, but no one has a clue at this point, and we can hope that the lure of Banchero et all will get him to Durham).