Page 108 of 149 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    It was a joke about esses and plurals and such.
    ?

First rule of humor.

If you have to explain it, it isn't funny.

Trust me, I know this the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    ?

First rule of humor.

Not sure about that. Some of the funniest jokes I've ever heard had to be explained to some listeners.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Not sure about that. Some of the funniest jokes I've ever heard had to be explained to some listeners.
    To some that would sound condescending.

(Condescending means talking down to people btw )

Don't make me break out my Foghorn Leghorn video.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I know that somewhere on this thread there was discussion about recruiting ranks. I admit that I don't keep up with said rankings like I once did and I guess it's because those it will be discussed on DBR. However I ran across a Rivals website on ranking of recruits that covered; 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. I saw that Kerwin Walton(Cheats) was rated #93 coming out of high school. I had no idea he was rated that low/high coming out of high school. I guess it shows that these rankings are not always accurate.

GoDuke!
    Walton did very well for the Heels last year. He sort of saved their season, truth be told. They desperately needed someone to knock down shots. The main thing is that he did a lot of his damage on set jumpers from offensive rebounds. Losing Sharpe, Brooks, and Kessler, those second chance 3's are going to dry up for him. He doesn't bring a lot else to the table. Making him move his feet is the best way to slow him down. Case in point, when UNC got blown out by Wisconsin in the NCAA Tournament and had a more pedestrian offensive rebounding rate, Walton only took three 3-point attempts. He's not a ball handler and doesn't offer much in the way of shot creation or facilitation. His ball handling skills are limited. You would think a shooting guard that hits 42% of his 3's on a high major team would have NBA teams interested. That isn't the case. He made more 3-pointers last season (58) than he attempted 2-point shots (40). Good shooter, but limited player. If UNC is going to change their style and, most importantly, lose their advantage on the offensive glass, Walton may be the most affected by these changes.

?

First rule of humor.

You had to read the post he was referring to & quoted. Took me a second, but I got it.

The fact that he was referring to players already on the roster was the giveaway for me.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

On more controversial news, my view on possessives is that when I’m looking at a singular proper noun that ends in s, I add an apostrophe but no s. Socrates’ philosophy, Blakes’ shooting. I do this for 3 reasons. One, I don’t generally pronounce the extra s, so why add it? Second, we live in a world of limited resources, so why waste fonts? And 3rd, there are so few ways to rebel in this increasingly buttoned down world filled with carping naysayers, and if I want my sentences to retain the lean vitality of youth, without being burdened by mythical vestiges of a grammatical Eden, I’m gonna take charge of my sentences. In so doing, I imagine myself to be embodying Zion on a breakaway dunk or Mel Gibson exhorting the troops in Braveheart or Belushi creating a fraternal ideal in Animal House. By exercising a wanton disregard for convention, I feel akin to Icarus or Lavar Ball—misunderstood in his time, perhaps, and risking a fall, but the gamble revivifies and makes the hum drum of everyday existence sparkle, and, further, it provides the sort of primal oomph that juices me into promiscuously challenging the Oxford comma, the split infinitive, and rules that forbid me to end sentences with words that—through no fault of their own—happen to be prepositions.
    Many people have reached out this morning for more of my views on writing controversies. Since so many people asked... Is it okay to bold? I was taught it was sloppy. If emphasis is required, write more effectively. In the above case, I’d already gotten started on drivel about rankings, about which I know little, and assumed I’d lost whatever audience there might be. Hence, I either had to delete the ranking stuff, or bold. Not wanting to waste my genius (“top 10 players are generally better basketball players than those rated 100-500”), I went with the bold.

When referring to a topic, such as adding the s, does one encircle the s with parentheses? As in “s.” Or, maybe “s”, if you’re the kind of person who sticks commas outside of the parens (which got autocorrected to parents, which reminds me that my parents would tell me, right now, to quit wasting my time with this post, much less using parens as a plural of parenthesis, which is a little weird). But really, (should one start sentences with “But”? And how best to punctuate within parentheses? And when, if ever, to use parentheses? If it’s important enough to say, don’t be a wimp and hide behind an aside, as if you’re mumbling something you half don’t want to say—if you don’t want to say it, don’t say it. Or use a footnote, which looks friendly and oh so casual with friends), if you’re going to stick in a parenthesis, don’t do so at the beginning of a sentence so that the reader and the writer have both forgotten the beginning of the sentence by the time the closing parenthesis (finally) rears its ugly head. And what about contractions while writing? Or using four versus 4? Or hyphens as a way to be zippy, or perhaps, as a way to avoid putting in the tiny bit of effort to convert the cobbled-together assertions into a sentence with a comma or two.

But back to the “s.” That initial sentence (“as in s”, or perhaps, “as in ‘s’”) was a question, and the question mark seems kinda large to put into such a small sentence “as in s?”, which isn’t, really, much of a sentence without a verb and, frankly, without much of a noun (okay, s is a noun, but it’s small and slippery).

I hadn’t previously heard the rule of the Jesus possessive (in Sunday school, we tended to get the message that Jesus wasn’t possessive, nor should be the likes of us), as in Jesus’ words in contrast to Jesus’s words (which would presumably be the spelling if referring to Jesus, a neighbor, whose name sounds like it starts with H). So only famous people get to shrug off the S? Akin to Madonna, Prince, and Gaga getting to shrug off last names? Hmmm.

Then there are words like hum drum, which I misspelled as 2 words (the future will look back on spell check’s failure to help me with hum drum with the same disbelief as the future will look back on our inability to provide everyone a vaccine for everything via our handy neck chip). Instead of spelling it correctly, I briefly debated a hyphen (hum-drum, since I was using it as a multi word adjective rather than a couple of nouns, but good Lord, I didn’t want to be pretentious or seeming to be more preoccupied with usage (a word, incidentally, that I hate) than with next year’s lineup that is going to consist—once again—of an array of guys whose faces I don’t yet recognize.

I won’t even get into run on sentences (run-on?) or other variations in sentence length or whether I dare to eat a peach. Or whether I’m going to edit the above paragraph which has one dangling parenthesis that was not, and never will be, properly closed.

By the way, it’s interesting which words get you called a wanker around here. I used wanton, promiscuous, and Lavar Ball without a criticism, but if I slip just a little, the word police are merciless.
    Last edited by johnb; 04-17-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Holmgren to announce Monday

If Duke is going to add a guard for next year it’s not going to be TyTy Washington. He announced a final 6 and Duke is not on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    If Duke is going to add a guard for next year it’s not going to be TyTy Washington. He announced a final 6 and Duke is not on the list.
    He impressed me but drew no offer from Duke. Blakes impressed them more.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I won’t even get into run on sentences (run-on?) or other variations in sentence length or whether I dare to eat a peach. Or whether I’m going to edit the above paragraph which has one dangling parenthesis that was not, and never will be, properly closed.
    Or whether you’re okay with sentence fragments?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    He impressed me but drew no offer from Duke. Blakes impressed them more.
    Not necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    You could type it that way; nobody is stopping you. It would still be incorrect, though. In this case, the "s" at the end of his name does not indicate a plural. He's just ONE GUY. Therefore, a possessive is formed by adding apostrophe s. It's actually pretty simple.
    If only the English language or arguing about the “rules” were simple. I am fully aware of the usage guidelines you are referring to. Its your choice to follow them and please do. But it is not the only “correct” way to do it and others can choose to follow different “rules.”

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    If only the English language or arguing about the “rules” were simple. I am fully aware of the usage guidelines you are referring to. Its your choice to follow them and please do. But it is not the only “correct” way to do it and others can choose to follow different “rules.”
    "It's"

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Is that the same as believing "alternative facts"?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Just watched extended highlights of Banchero and Baldwin. Those two would be unbelievable to have on the court together - like nothing we’ve seen at Duke before. Both seem to be big time playmakers in 6’10” bodies. On the offensive end, they could totally play the 3/4 with Williams at the 5. Either can initiate the offense at the wing or top of the key taking pressure off Roach to create shots. And of course Griffin can create his own offense as well.

Can Baldwin guard ACC 3s? Not sure but his length could erase some mistakes. And I think we’d go to a zone to get Williams, Banchero and Baldwin all on the floor together.

The more days that tick by without Baldwin announcing for his dad, the more hopeful I get it could still be the Devils. No inside knowledge.

PBJ would be the definition of a luxury recruit. I'm not sure one can make the case we'll be better if at all with his addition, as he'll push Mark Williams to the bench.

And no I don't think PBJ will ever start at 3.

I’m not sure he can guard the 3 but his highlights are filled with him breaking guys down from the perimeter, slashing to the basket, making the right pass and draining 3s. He’s a perimeter oriented player. And if he comes to Duke, we will see plenty of Williams, Banchero and Baldwin on the court together. We just may see them as the back line of a 2-3 zone.

When I see PBJ play, I see a Brandon Ingram, Jayson Tatum style of game. If he plans to play the 3 in the NBA, what other program in the country would pair him with two bigs and play him at the 3 in college? Maybe just Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    PBJ would be the definition of a luxury recruit. I'm not sure one can make the case we'll be better if at all with his addition, as he'll push Mark Williams to the bench.

And no I don't think PBJ will ever start at 3.
    Duke won an NCAA title in 2001 with Mike Dunleavy at the 3 and won an NCAA title in 2010 with Kyle Singler at the 3.

Signing Baldwin would NOT necessarily push Mark Williams to the bench.

Duke won an NCAA title in 2001 with Mike Dunleavy at the 3 and won an NCAA title in 2010 with Kyle Singler at the 3.

Signing Baldwin would NOT necessarily push Mark Williams to the bench.
    Isn't PBJ a power forward? Singler and Mike were small forwards.