Page 97 of 149 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Even the portal at this point seems a bit underwhelming...there seemed to be a school of thought that you nip in there and come out with filet mignon and a bottle of champagne (a solid big man and a worthy PG) and instead you may find chuck steak and Two Buck Chuck on the shelves, not that there's anything wrong with chuck steak, mind you...
    Good observation. This year there is a lot of discussion of the large number of transfers and a few names thrown out as prime targets. We also hear about teams built on transfers. However, a few logical thoughts suggest that the transfers are

1) Seniors looking to play another year based on Covid. These are good college players but if they were exceptional talents they would be entering the draft.
    2) Underclassmen (mostly freshman) transferring due to lack of playing time. So if they did not get playing time at one school they would be moving down a level to get more time.
    3) Transfers who just did not feel as if their games fit into the system at a school. These are the players that might have that exceptional talent that if in the correct system would shine.

(Mods this may be better in the transfer thread)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Good observation. This year there is a lot of discussion of the large number of transfers and a few names thrown out as prime targets. We also hear about teams built on transfers. However, a few logical thoughts suggest that the transfers are

1) Seniors looking to play another year based on Covid. These are good college players but if they were exceptional talents they would be entering the draft.
    2) Underclassmen (mostly freshman) transferring due to lack of playing time. So if they did not get playing time at one school they would be moving down a level to get more time.
    3) Transfers who just did not feel as if their games fit into the system at a school. These are the players that might have that exceptional talent that if in the correct system would shine.

(Mods this may be better in the transfer thread)
    Three of the top six vote-getters in the 2021 All-ACC voting were transfers. How many of Carlik Jones, Sam Hauser and Keve Aluma would not have helped Duke this past season?

There are gems to be mined in the transfer market.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Three of the top six vote-getters in the 2021 All-ACC voting were transfers. How many of Carlik Jones, Sam Hauser and Keve Aluma would not have helped Duke this past season?

Yep, there are probably 15-20 names that could be impact players at a P5 school next year. It's definitely doable, albeit perhaps unlikely given Coach K's recent history with the transfer market.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

I agree there are gems but the mining is difficult. I went to one site and same that there were about 300 transfers and there looked like 15 or 20 that I recognized as making an impact this year...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I agree there are gems but the mining is difficult. I went to one site and same that there were about 300 transfers and there looked like 15 or 20 that I recognized as making an impact this year...
    We might have been able to use this PG, who just committed to transfer to Kansas from Drake and will have three years to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKAi0yGGUF0

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    We might have been able to use this PG, who just committed to transfer to Kansas from Drake and will have three years to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKAi0yGGUF0
    Wow - that guy is only 6'0" according to KP. That is some athleticism.

And you are right he would have been useful - as a soph he shot 39% from 3, 83% from ft, had an OR of 113 while using 26% of possessions and a low turnover rate of 11%.

I know this is a little off topic but I hadn't watched any Chet Holmgren videos until recently. That dude is skinny. Alarmingly skinny. I know everybody is in love with bigs who can shoot the three but IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    I know this is a little off topic but I hadn't watched any Chet Holmgren videos until recently. That dude is skinny. Alarmingly skinny. I know everybody is in love with bigs who can shoot the three but IDK.
    He's going to be awesome when he's 25 and grown into his body, but there's no chance he's the best NCAA freshman next year, so the recruiting rankings don't make much sense from that perspective. Gangly big men foul at such high rates once they have to deal with physicality in college. Paolo is going to be so much better than him next year, and Holmgren will still probably be drafted higher because of that crazy upside.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Completely agree....I'd take it one step further and suggest he'll never get his frame to a place where he can compete in college let alone the NBA on a consistent basis.

Just no way that frame is gonna take on a sufficient amount of mass.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelion View Post
    Completely agree...I'd take it one step further and suggest he'll never get his frame to a place where he can compete in college let alone the NBA on a consistent basis.

Brandon Ingram says hi!

Completely agree...I'd take it one step further and suggest he'll never get his frame to a place where he can compete in college let alone the NBA on a consistent basis.

Manute Bol (7'7" and 200 lbs) played for 10 years in the NBA.

Respectfully, I think you will come to regret that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Manute Bol (7'7" and 200 lbs) played for 10 years in the NBA.
    I don't think a team taking Holmgren at #1 overall would be pleased with a Manute Bol type of career: Rebs 4.2, Blocks 3.3, Points 2.6.

And yes Ingram, KD and others were skinny sg/sf types that have had great success but I don't see Holmgren as their comp.

Coincidentally, Bol Bol is a recent player who compares favorably in my view...I guess we'll see what happens.

Young Giannis
    81CB6549-0899-4E67-AE73-14832BEBE6C6.jpg
    Current Giannis
    6CC3D989-C66C-4954-8EEF-9DC9FA4CDCA9.jpg

4-Star Arizona commit point guard KJ Simpson is re-opening his recruitment following the "parting of ways" with coach Sean Miller. Simpson is a top-100 rated guy, about 6'2" and 180 from the San Fernando Valley in suburban LA. The 247 eval of him is as follows:

Simpson is an athletic combo guard with okay size but good length and athleticism. Plus athlete both laterally and vertically. Competitive kid who plays hard on both ends. Has vision to play on ball at next level but will need to improve against ball pressure. Athleticism makes him tough cover in transition. Versatile defender who can guard both one and two at next level. Projects as high major starter. If handle and jumper improve he will take his stock to next level.

Who knows if he'd be interested in coming across the country to a place like Duke, but he is the type of "developmental" prospect at PG that might be a good fit, and could get some minutes backing up Roach if necessary this year. Gotta get a few more lines in the water in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Cryptic post that may tell you what Jason was just doing.

Sampson has cut his hair... I just hope it does not affect his performance next year.
    1511x873.jpg

Fast forward to the 32:00 mark to hear the "hair" conversation.
    https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP8370571633
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Respectfully, I think you will come to regret that post.
    Yeah, I think Holmgren is going to be sensational — inside, outside, drive to the hoop, block shots, rebound...kid can do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yeah, I think Holmgren is going to be sensational — inside, outside, drive to the hoop, block shots, rebound...kid can do it all.
    It's the attitude. Everyone looks and him and counts him out on account of his frame. If you've seen him play, you know he likes to tussle. He's a fighter. You can add weight. Changing attitudes is harder.

I might feel this way on account of Zion and the way the narrative around him has gone. They said he couldn't do it in college. Then they said he wasn't going to do it against real men in the NBA. Then he started an All-Star game in his second year in the league. Skills and attitude can take you a long way.

That being said, I am very curious to see what a Timme-Holmgren vs. Williams-Banchero matchup might look like in Vegas this November. That is popcorn appointment television.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    1511x873.jpg

Fast forward to the 32:00 mark to hear the "hair" conversation.
    https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP8370571633
    Is there a 32:00 mark?

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    It's the attitude. Everyone looks and him and counts him out on account of his frame. If you've seen him play, you know he likes to tussle. He's a fighter. You can add weight. Changing attitudes is harder.

I might feel this way on account of Zion and the way the narrative around him has gone. They said he couldn't do it in college. Then they said he wasn't going to do it against real men in the NBA. Then he started an All-Star game in his second year in the league. Skills and attitude can take you a long way.

That being said, I am very curious to see what a Timme-Holmgren vs. Williams-Banchero matchup might look like in Vegas this November. That is popcorn appointment television.
    Who said that about Zion?