Page 140 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    There is a strong chance that Duke, for every game, has a size advantage from the 2-5. Roach is a pretty small dude, but AJ is massive for a 2/3 as is Moore. Banchero, while not heavy, is tall, long, and powerful for a 4. And I assume Williams will add 20lbs to his wiry frame in the off-season to match his enormous 7'0" frame and 7'0" wingspan.

Sprinkle in Keels (tall and heavy for a 2), John (weighs 255lbs), and Blakes (6'3" for a PG), and this is a biiiiiiiiiiig team all around. The only bench player who is likely to give up size is Baker (he isn't quick and suspect he isn't going to guard the 2/3 very much).
    Williams has measured at 7'1" tall with a 7'4" wingspan
    Theo John is 6'9" with a reported 7'4" wingspan
    AJ Griffin is 6'7" with a 7'2" wingspan
    I haven't seen Banchero's measurements but my guess is 6'10" with a 7'0" wingspan
    Wendell Moore is 6'5" with a 6'11" wingspan
    Jaylen Blakes is 6'3" with a 6'8" wingspan

Joey Baker is 6'6" but I doubt he has plus length.
    Not sure what Trevor Keels is, but he looks about 6'5" with somewhere around a +1 to +3 (up to 6'8") wingspan. That's just a guess.
    Jeremy Roach is 6'2" and is the smaller player among the regular rotation.

The top 6 guys, that's absurd length. Duke can regularly play 4 players with a 7' wingspan (including Moore here, who is close to it). That's going to be an issue for a lot of teams, dealing with that length.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I would argue that Johnson's injury/"injury" was pretty impactful to our results this past season. For a young team trying to figure out their identity, the in-and-out-and-in-and-out nature of Johnson's season was a pretty big drag on our team's development.

I think we would have been unquestionably better had we either had him available all season or had we never had him at all. But the foot vigil as it played out was a big deal.
    No doubt it was a big problem but don't know if it was an injury like Kyrie, Jefferson or Zion suffered or if it was more like an injury Bagley had that was then used as a suitable explanation for the widely reported issues between the Duke and Johnson camps. And before everyone freaks out I'm not blaming anybody. Sheesh I have no idea how those kids put up with the onerous protocols of last season. The NBA adult pros got tired of bubble life within two weeks and Duke was in their bubble a lot longer.

But my main point is while I've bemoaned Duke injuries as much as anybody I don't know if they've been a dreadful as we've come to believe. The Kyrie one was just devastating but that was a decade ago. The only other one I can think of that really hurt a season or seasons(s) was Jefferson's.
    Last edited by Natty_B; 05-14-2021 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Wait sorry the White Raven injuries sucked too. But again a few years ago at this point.

I think we would have been unquestionably better had we either had him available all season or had we never had him at all. But the foot vigil as it played out was a big deal.
    I am not sure I agree that Duke would have been unquestionably better if they had Jalen available all season but I do think Duke would have been better if they never had him at all. This is less about Jalen himself and more about how development time (an exceptionally precious resource last season) was spent. It's a small downside of not running a system.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    I am not sure I agree that Duke would have been unquestionably better if they had Jalen available all season but I do think Duke would have been better if they never had him at all. This is less about Jalen himself and more about how development time (an exceptionally precious resource last season) was spent. It's a small downside of not running a system.
    I think we would have been unquestionably better with Jalen for a similar reason: more development time together, and more continuity given the exceptionally minimized offseason/preseason time together.

Whether or not we would have been better with him all year vs without him all year is another debate. But I can't see a reasonable argument that the yo-yo effect of his season (and especially the timing, as he missed the "regroup games" against the weaker nonconference teams and the weaker ACC teams before returning for the first burst of tougher opponents ) was worse than having full continuity either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    No doubt it was a big problem but don't know if it was an injury like Kyrie, Jefferson or Zion suffered or if it was more like an injury Bagley had that was then used as a suitable explanation for the widely reported issues between the Duke and Johnson camps. And before everyone freaks out I'm not blaming anybody. Sheesh I have no idea how those kids put up with the onerous protocols of last season. The NBA adult pros got tired of bubble life within two weeks and Duke was in their bubble a lot longer.

But my main point is while I've bemoaned Duke injuries as much as anybody I don't know if they've been a dreadful as we've come to believe. The Kyrie one was just devastating but that was a decade ago. The only other one I can think of that really hurt a season or seasons(s) was Jefferson's.
    I would suggest that Ryan Kelly's injury was a pretty big deal, as it probably cost us a 1 seed and stuck us in Louisville's region.

I would suggest that Ryan Kelly's injury was a pretty big deal, as it probably cost us a 1 seed and stuck us in Louisville's region.
    Was about to post the same thing. So +1. That team was/is very underrated. Other than the Miami game, Kelly wasn't the same as before the injury. And that weird Louisville game with the Ware injury ...
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Was about to post the same thing. So +1. That team was/is very underrated. Other than the Miami game, Kelly wasn't the same as before the injury. And that weird Louisville game with the Ware injury ...
    Keep in mind that Kelly also missed the 2012 postseason with an injury and Jefferson suffered through major foot injuries in 2016 AND 2017.

Jayson Tatum was out for a good portion of the early 2016/17 season and it took him some time to get up to speed. He was only third-team All-ACC that year. Imagine if he had been healthy all season.

Bolden always seemed to be fighting some sort of injury. How much did that hold him back?

Seth Curry (2013), Justise Winslow (2015) and Cam Reddish (2019) are among the many Blue Devils who played through injuries that negatively impacted their play.

And, let's not forget Zion in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Keep in mind that Kelly also missed the 2012 postseason with an injury and Jefferson suffered through major foot injuries in 2016 AND 2017.

Jayson Tatum was out for a good portion of the early 2016/17 season and it took him some time to get up to speed. He was only third-team All-ACC that year. Imagine if he had been healthy all season.

Bolden always seemed to be fighting some sort of injury. How much did that hold him back?

Seth Curry (2013), Justise Winslow (2015) and Cam Reddish (2019) are among the many Blue Devils who played through injuries that negatively impacted their play.

And, let's not forget Zion in 2019.
    Harry Giles too.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Thanks for the link. I think that was in 2019? Griffin looked to have very good awareness on defense as he blocked shots from off the ball. I will be anxious to see how he guards his own man and how he handles switches in Duke's man2man. If that was 2019, I'm pretty sure AJ has added some strength since then, however he looked to be pretty stout in that video.

GoDuke!

Theres a couple of times he's guarding keels and kets right up in him and pops the ball out or makes him pick up his dribble. I think hell be very good switching and in man ( if the added weight hasn't affected his movement too much). You gotta think to that he spent the last year with the raptors and prob training or playing against some of the players which will help him too on both ends

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Harry Giles too.
    Oh, my. One of Duke's great what-might-have-beens. Giles was ranked ahead of Tatum in their prep class when he was healthy. Rankings can be wrong of course. But imagine a Harry Giles who's better than Jayson Tatum.

Oh, my. One of Duke's great what-might-have-beens. Giles was ranked ahead of Tatum in their prep class when he was healthy. Rankings can be wrong of course. But imagine a Harry Giles who's better than Jayson Tatum.
    That team has similar hype levels to the Zion team. I remember an open practice on a Saturday morning in early October, and the line wrapped around Cameron for entry. That team had a ton of potential and poor Harry’s rotten luck is emblematic of the team’s luck as a whole.

You mean imagine a Harry Giles with two intact ACLs

Sigh...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    You mean imagine a Harry Giles with two intact ACLs

Sigh...
    Yeah, although Giles had a pretty significant injury history before coming to Duke. Missed his entire sophomore season in high school due to a knee injury, and then another knee injury as a senior cut short his time at Oak Hill Academy. I'm not a medical person, but injury problems at Duke did not seem surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, although Giles had a pretty significant injury history before coming to Duke. Missed his entire sophomore season in high school due to a knee injury, and then another knee injury as a senior cut short his time at Oak Hill Academy. I'm not a medical person, but injury problems at Duke did not seem surprising.
    He had enough history to pass on him.

I would argue that Johnson's injury/"injury" was pretty impactful to our results this past season. For a young team trying to figure out their identity, the in-and-out-and-in-and-out nature of Johnson's season was a pretty big drag on our team's development.

Who?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Who?
    "JJ."

*ducks*

Giles was a no.1 pick before he did his ACL twice.

He would have been miles better than Tatum in my humble opinion. Just so sad. But glad he is still an NBA player and going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Williams has measured at 7'1" tall with a 7'4" wingspan
    Theo John is 6'9" with a reported 7'4" wingspan
    AJ Griffin is 6'7" with a 7'2" wingspan
    I haven't seen Banchero's measurements but my guess is 6'10" with a 7'0" wingspan
    Wendell Moore is 6'5" with a 6'11" wingspan
    Jaylen Blakes is 6'3" with a 6'8" wingspan

Joey Baker is 6'6" but I doubt he has plus length.
    Not sure what Trevor Keels is, but he looks about 6'5" with somewhere around a +1 to +3 (up to 6'8") wingspan. That's just a guess.
    Jeremy Roach is 6'2" and is the smaller player among the regular rotation.

The top 6 guys, that's absurd length. Duke can regularly play 4 players with a 7' wingspan (including Moore here, who is close to it). That's going to be an issue for a lot of teams, dealing with that length.
    We have a huge squad. Been a long time since we had that much size.

Possibly since the Bagley/Carter team? Zoubek/Lance and co?

I really like how we have all the right pieces next season. Plus experience too. We finally aren't relying on Freshmen anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    We have a huge squad. Been a long time since we had that much size.

Possibly since the Bagley/Carter team? Zoubek/Lance and co?

I really like how we have all the right pieces next season. Plus experience too. We finally aren't relying on Freshmen anymore.
    I believe we'll be relying on Banchero, Keels and Griffin for a lot next season. Both offensively and defensively. I'm pretty sure Coach K is looking for 3 point shooting from Keels and inside and outside contributions from Banchero and Griffin. The only returning 3 point shooter is Joey. Roach and Moore are capable but not quite there yet.
    GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I believe we'll be relying on Banchero, Keels and Griffin for a lot next season. Both offensively and defensively. I'm pretty sure Coach K is looking for 3 point shooting from Keels and inside and outside contributions from Banchero and Griffin. The only returning 3 point shooter is Joey. Roach and Moore are capable but not quite there yet.
    GoDuke!
    Maybe it is just my hope but I keep thinking that Roach will make a huge jump this year.