Page 60 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 2971
    Quote Originally Posted by Albar33 View Post
    cant believe Banchero has 40lbs on PBJr!

with AJ and Keels, dont think we ll miss him.
    Yes, and grapes are sour...

Quote Originally Posted by Albar33 View Post
    cant believe Banchero has 40lbs on PBJr!

with AJ and Keels, dont think we ll miss him.
    I must have missed the news that we signed Keels.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    How about Chris Carrawell? I’ve always thought he was a better comp for Wendell. They are about the same size and have similar games although Wendell had the reputation of better perimeter skills coming to Duke.

Carrawell made a tremendous leap forward his senior year averaging 17 pts, 6 reb and 3 assists while making 38% of his 3s and earning first team all ACC honors.

I think a similar jump forward is possible for Wendell.
    The styles are similar, but Carrawell was a better player (more efficient scorer and better defender) and played on better teams prior to his senior year jump than Moore has been in his first 2 years. That is not to say Moore can’t make the jump to senior year Carrawell level next year; just that it would be a bigger jump for him than Carrawell made.

In fact, Carrawell wasn’t a dramatically improved player as a senior; he was similarly effective just with more opportunity (his minutes per game rose dramatically over his four years). His per-40 numbers didn’t fluctuate all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Do you really think Jeremy Roach is a "pure" PG? To me, he plays like a shooting guard who can handle the ball. His assist% isn't much different from Wendell's or DJ's:

ASSIST%
    Jeremy Roach: 16.4%
    Wendell Moore: 16.0%
    DJ Steward: 14.1%

For comparison's sake, Tre Jones's assist% last season was 31.4%.

As as aside, Jeremy's TO% also doesn't scream "PG":

TURNOVER%
    Jeremy Roach: 19.9%
    Wendell Moore: 15.7%
    DJ Steward: 14.7%

Tre Jones had a 14.8% TO% last season.
    Well, I never said he was good at it! Nevertheless, he’s the most likely candidate to run the team at the PG position with minimal competition for that spot.

Wendell has played a playmaker-type role for us this year, but if we are in a spot next year where Wendell is playing a point-forward type role...then I think we are in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Prior to your post I had been unaware of any changes to the three-point line. Do you know the details on that? Thanks, Silky.
    Here ya go. 2nd link when you google “3 point line college

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Do you really think Jeremy Roach is a "pure" PG? To me, he plays like a shooting guard who can handle the ball.
    I've been trying to tell people this all season. He's not a playmaker. He averaged 2.8 assists in his senior year of high school. That's a pretty low number for the primary ball handler of a high school team, especially playing with a shooter like Trevor Keels.

But the more frustrating thing is, it's not because he's not a pass first guy, he just doesn't have point guard instincts. He is a talented kid. He lacks size and explosiveness, but he can get to where he wants on the court for the most part. He just doesn't see the floor well and flat out misses wide open teammates with regularity. Really hope he watches tons of film and improves his basketball IQ during the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I've been trying to tell people this all season. He's not a playmaker. He averaged 2.8 assists in his senior year of high school. That's a pretty low number for the primary ball handler of a high school team, especially playing with a shooter like Trevor Keels.

But the more frustrating thing is, it's not because he's not a pass first guy, he just doesn't have point guard instincts. He is a talented kid. He lacks size and explosiveness, but he can get to where he wants on the court for the most part. He just doesn't see the floor well and flat out misses wide open teammates with regularity. Really hope he watches tons of film and improves his basketball IQ during the offseason.
    Hoping Roach sticks around a really develops. Seems like a steady kid that could blossom in our program, much like Nolan did. Agree he is not a prototypical PG, but we really need him to develop into one or into a legit scoring threat (like Quinn did) or both. It's not lost that every championship team had a steady and trustworthy, if not bonafide stellar, point guard who was also a scoring threat. While we won't get Stones brothers every year, a strong PG has been the hallmark of great Duke teams. Doesn't mean we need Hurley or Tyus; if we can get Roach to develop and gain the experience to be trustworthy floor general, much like Scheyer and Nolan did, then we will be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post

When I squint, I see a sort of super version of Tyler Thornton when I watch Jeremy Roach. Thornton was a better shooter than Roach, even as a freshman. Roach could improve his decision-making and find open teammates. But I see someone that can get to the rim and often makes good decisions when driving to the hoop. He plays with a ton of effort on defense even if the results are not always there. He has a pull-up game, which is rare for a freshman, and doesn't seem to just drive to the rim against bigger defenders without a plan. I hope that he uses that ability to draw defender and then dish to an open teammate, either Mark Williams as a vertical threat or someone on the perimeter. He seems to have a scoring mentality where I expected he'd be more of a floor general. A full summer could do him a lot of good. Perhaps he develops a more consistent jumper and approach. Duke is going to need him to be a better point guard next year.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    Hoping Roach sticks around a really develops. Seems like a steady kid that could blossom in our program, much like Nolan did. Agree he is not a prototypical PG, but we really need him to develop into one or into a legit scoring threat (like Quinn did) or both. It's not lost that every championship team had a steady and trustworthy, if not bonafide stellar, point guard who was also a scoring threat. While we won't get Stones brothers every year, a strong PG has been the hallmark of great Duke teams. Doesn't mean we need Hurley or Tyus; if we can get Roach to develop and gain the experience to be trustworthy floor general, much like Scheyer and Nolan did, then we will be OK.
    The kid with the best passing instincts is Mark Williams.

@Sam_Vecenie
    Banchero is one of my favorite prospects I’ve evaluated. Just so skilled, has so much feel for the game at his size. He’s just absolutely awesome.

That was in relation to this newly released video which is kind of exciting
    https://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_...e/show/1150085

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    @Sam_Vecenie
    Banchero is one of my favorite prospects I’ve evaluated. Just so skilled, has so much feel for the game at his size. He’s just absolutely awesome.

Oh my... the handle and court awareness is really special from a kid this size. Wow!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

@Sam_Vecenie

Maybe he can play the point. Very skilled

Tonight Paolo goes for 41 and 11. Gotta see it. I think he'll help the team next year.

https://twitter.com/whosnexths/statu...746077190?s=21

@Sam_Vecenie

Isn't Banchero 6'8" or 6'9"? His moves and handle look to be that of a 6"2" guard. Thanks for the video.

GoDuke!

Be careful what you wish for....

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/o...-players-100k/

Anyone who wanted to see the "One-and-done" rule go away may have just gotten their wish, but not in the way you think.

Is this Fall 2021 HS basketball league that pays players "$100,000" a threat to Duke losing our recruits?

I know Duke is committed to Roach and Steward. However if a talented grad transfer point guard is available, 21/22 team needs an insurance policy in the backcourt. I hope the Coaching staff is aware. Tape was a disappointment for a grad transfer.Duke needs a guard that can come off the bench and run the offense.Besides being a good defender.

@Sam_Vecenie

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Tonight Paolo goes for 41 and 11. Gotta see it. I think he'll help the team next year.

Wow. And thanks for posting.

Can't wait for the 2021-22 season.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I know Duke is committed to Roach and Steward. However if a talented grad transfer point guard is available, 21/22 team needs an insurance policy in the backcourt. I hope the Coaching staff is aware. Tape was a disappointment for a grad transfer.Duke needs a guard that can come off the bench and run the offense.Besides being a good defender.
    I am with all the guys who think Moore, Roach and Steward will show significant improvement in their handles, ability to penetrate and to deal with the physicality of the game. I still don't believe any of them have the innate floor vision and playmaking ability to be a first class point guard. There is no recruiting target left who fills that bill and I doubt we can find a grad transfer capable enough to make a difference. That is still at least a possibility. The main hope is that we will have enough ball handlers to reduce the need for a top PG and that advances make in the offseason will help the team next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post

He is just so much bigger and stronger than anyone else on the floor in that video; it makes him look like one of the Monstars from Space Jam

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Is this Fall 2021 HS basketball league that pays players "$100,000" a threat to Duke losing our recruits?
    The G league started offering six figure contracts to select high schoolers last season. A few players did go that route including a couple whom Duke was at least sort-of recruiting. Jalen Johnson I believe was offered a contract but chose to come to Duke instead. Caleb Love from UNC reportedly was offered a deal too. I’m sure Cade Cunningham, Jalen Suggs, etc. turned down deals to come to college. It’s always in the back of my mind that Griffin or Banchero could change their mind at any moment and I wouldn’t blame them if they did, but as of now there is no indication that they will.