Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    I didn't know where to put this, but since one of Bronny James' teammates, all seventh graders, visited Duke and one of them commented: Jack White can shoot", then here goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkoL...ature=youtu.be
    This is the video that started this thread

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Maybe. There are some good ones. Kansas has Udoka Azubuike and Dedric Lawson. Arkansas has Daniel Gafford. UNC has Luke Maye. Kentucky has Reid Travis. MSU has Nick Ward. Missouri has Jontay Porter. USC has Bennie Boatright. I'd rate all of those guys (at the college level, at least) comfortably above either Bolden or (especially) DeLaurier. Then there are guys like Nazreon Reid (LSU), Bruno Fernando (Maryland), Kerry Blackshear (Va Tech), Malik Williams (Louisville), and many others that I'm too lazy to think about that would be in the discussion as well.
    I guess is depends on ones definition of a big man.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I guess is depends on ones definition of a big man.
    Well, since you listed a PF (DeLaurier) and a C (Bolden), I limited it to PFs and Cs, and most of those guys were Cs.

Footage of the team actually doing the shooting drill

https://youtu.be/jXAUHPNTyAw

Here's a video of Jon Scheyer coaching the kids during the drill that resulted in the table we saw in the other video. Apparently, Jack White broke the previous record for this particular drill, which happened to belong to Jon himself.

There's a bunch of behind the scenes type videos in that youtube channel with the team.

There's also a really interesting one about the K Lab, I would highly recommend checking that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    https://youtu.be/jXAUHPNTyAw

Here's a video of Jon Scheyer coaching the kids during the drill that resulted in the table we saw in the other video. Apparently, Jack White broke the previous record for this particular drill, which happened to belong to Jon himself.

There's a bunch of behind the scenes type videos in that youtube channel with the team.

There's also a really interesting one about the K Lab, I would highly recommend checking that one out.
    Minor comment, but I think Scheyer was saying that he and Nolan also did the drill with them this year and shot 80% and 79.8%. So White topped what those two guys did currently. Scheyer concludes the video saying "that's the record for today", so not necessarily the record ever.

Of course, it may be that this is a relatively new thing that they are doing "officially", in which case it may well still be a record.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Minor comment, but I think Scheyer was saying that he and Nolan also did the drill with them this year and shot 80% and 79.8%. So White topped what those two guys did currently. Scheyer concludes the video saying "that's the record for today", so not necessarily the record ever.

Of course, it may be that this is a relatively new thing that they are doing "officially", in which case it may well still be a record.
    Hm, just re-watched that part, I think you're right. Although 86.8% is pretty remarkable. Jack either had an out of body experience or he's a legit shooter now.

I'd love to see Trajan, Jayson, and J.J. compete in that drill.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Hm, just re-watched that part, I think you're right. Although 86.8% is pretty remarkable. Jack either had an out of body experience or he's a legit shooter now.

I'd love to see Trajan, Jayson, and J.J. compete in that drill.
    Oh no doubt that's really good shooting.

As I've stated before, I think that shooting in practice drills is a different skill than shooting in a game. There's a lot of overlap, but it's not a 100% overlap. As a corollary, I remember hearing that Wade Boggs could hit home runs in batting practice at will, that he would have won the Home Run Derby every single year had he ever been invited, but he never was because he wasn't considered a power hitter. It's possible that Jack White is the Wade Boggs of three point shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It's possible that Jack White is the Wade Boggs of three point shooting
    This brings SilkyJ's Horvath reference back to mind.

After a quick search...Here's a lovely little interview of Horvath entitled 'Once a physicist: Nick Horvath.' I somehow missed it when printed in Physics World in 2009 . Not wanting to resurrect the 2008 'Horvath update' thread with 10-yr-old info, I'll just leave the link here. But, it could also be tossed in with the old school vs one-and-done discussions or with one of DBR's various allusions to Schrödinger’s cat.

As I've stated before, I think that shooting in practice drills is a different skill than shooting in a game. There's a lot of overlap, but it's not a 100% overlap. As a corollary, I remember hearing that Wade Boggs could hit home runs in batting practice at will, that he would have won the Home Run Derby every single year had he ever been invited, but he never was because he wasn't considered a power hitter. It's possible that Jack White is the Wade Boggs of three point shooting.
    I would add that Jack White shot the ball well in Australia in games...so it's a matter of having the in game reps and in game minutes here, at this level of competition. He clearly can physically do the skill very well. He's big enough and has enough ups to get his shot off in games.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    I didn't know where to put this, but since one of Bronny James' teammates, all seventh graders, visited Duke and one of them commented: Jack White can shoot", then here goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkoL...ature=youtu.be
    You have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie...

In other words. Go read the first post in this thread (written by me!)

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post

After a quick search...Here's a lovely little interview of Horvath entitled 'Once a physicist: Nick Horvath.' I somehow missed it when printed in Physics World in 2009 . Not wanting to resurrect the 2008 'Horvath update' thread with 10-yr-old info, I'll just leave the link here. But, it could also be tossed in with the old school vs one-and-done discussions or with one of DBR's various allusions to Schrödinger’s cat.
    Can't believe Throaty's Manifesto is so hard to find these days, but this is a clear case of needing to reference Appendix-D!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Can't believe Throaty's Manifesto is so hard to find these days, but this is a clear case of needing to reference Appendix-D!!!
    Rest assured that your summer Horvath reference was apt, understood, and appreciated. My search was not to make sense of the reference; it was for updated Horvath info, a curiosity inspired because the Boggs story brought the summer-Horvath phenomenon to mind again.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    So glad I posted that! It’s still on my computer.

Interesting how relevant 6i and 6j are to today’s threads. Of course, 9F is ALWAYS relevant!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

But can Jack White drink 50 beers on the flight to Maui and then absolutely destroy San Diego State the next day??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5bI1UPu2MI

For Jack White, my impression last season was that he played good, tough defense and rebounded well but that he didn't shoot well and really didn't do too much on the offensive end of the court. We will never know if he would have provided more offense if he was left on the court for longer stretches more often. This coming season, I would say that if Jack wants to see more playing time then he's going to have to earn it by adding more offense to his game. We have so much talent coming in again (and, sadly, leaving after this year) that it's not going to be easy for him but as a Jr, he can be a leader (even if he isn't a leader in minutes played). Personally, I would love it if Jack and AOC improved to much that we can't keep them off the court. What a great problem to have!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    For Jack White, my impression last season was that he played good, tough defense and rebounded well but that he didn't shoot well...
    Come on! He hit 16% of his 3s. How much better do you want him to shoot?

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    For Jack White, my impression last season was that he played good, tough defense and rebounded well but that he didn't shoot well and really didn't do too much on the offensive end of the court. We will never know if he would have provided more offense if he was left on the court for longer stretches more often. This coming season, I would say that if Jack wants to see more playing time then he's going to have to earn it by adding more offense to his game. We have so much talent coming in again (and, sadly, leaving after this year) that it's not going to be easy for him but as a Jr, he can be a leader (even if he isn't a leader in minutes played). Personally, I would love it if Jack and AOC improved to much that we can't keep them off the court. What a great problem to have!
    Well, if he can hit catch-and-shoot 3s anything close to 40% of the time, that's going to cement him firmly in the rotation as a floor spacer. This team has plenty of guys who can do things with the ball, but no one who can stand in the corner and knock down jumpers. 3 and D role players are always welcome, but are even more valuable when you have guys like RJ, Cam, Tre, and Zion.

He's going to be especially valuable if he plays power forward most of the time (and I think he will), because if his jumper is for real, he's going to be drawing a big guy out of the paint, and we really, really, want that.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    But can Jack White drink 50 beers on the flight to Maui and then absolutely destroy San Diego State the next day??
    Like David Thompson leaving change on the backboard, I have to think that story is an exaggeration. Maybe we can all agree to do some “research” to determine if anything remotely close would be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post

I looked for some old Schrodinger's Cat references. But I couldn't tell if they were there or not.