Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bolden’s stats are eye-opening, too. 74 for 80 free throws for a guy who shot 59% last year. It seems he could shoot some jumpers, too.

I haven’t seen a lot of handles from White, but he’s a very fundamentally sound defensive rebounder, and if he can be a dangerous spot-up shooter from 3, he’ll be a solid rotation player.

Have we seen stats from this drill in prior years? I wonder how many Billy King made?
    Last edited by Duke79UNLV77; 07-23-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Javin's Shooting

The stats show Javin hitting 34% from 2 and 47% from 3: very interesting.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Whiskey wins every time. No one beats Whiskey.
    "Women without whiskey . . .
    whiskey's hard to beat."

-- DBT

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Name FT 2s 3s
    Joey Baker 67/80 120/140 209/280
    RJ Barret 64/80 90/140 156/280
    Marques Bolden 74/80 93/140 154/280
    Javin Delaurier 55/80 48/140 132/280
    Jordan Goldwire 51/80 88/120 158/280
    Tre Jones 69/80 61/70 95/140
    Alex O'Connel 72/80 100/140 170/280
    Cam Reddish 74/80 118/140 192/280
    Jack White 77/80 118/140 233/280
    Zion Williamson ??? ??? 187/280

Zion is total is 333/500, which means that he shot 146 / 220 combined 2s and FTs.
    I know it's just a practice session, but I would never have guessed that Zion could comfortably top Alex O'Connell in 3 point shooting in any situation . . .

In fact, going by that chart, Zion was the 4th best 3 point shooter. (also, if Joey Baker is really going to redshirt, that would make Zion the 3rd best on the active roster)

What is going on here?? If this is for real, even if he's only really effective as a catch and shoot guy, Zion is a much more interesting player than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I know it's just a practice session, but I would never have guessed that Zion could comfortably top Alex O'Connell in 3 point shooting in any situation . . .

In fact, going by that chart, Zion was the 4th best 3 point shooter. (also, if Joey Baker is really going to redshirt, that would make Zion the 3rd best on the active roster)

What is going on here?? If this is for real, even if he's only really effective as a catch and shoot guy, Zion is a much more interesting player than I thought.
    I assume these numbers represent the best these players hit on a given day moreso than the summer average? In theory, the pecking order of shooters would follow this chart, but I'm not so sure. Zion could have gotten really, really hot one day. Or maybe AOC is focusing more on strength training than getting shots up. Or it may mean - as you theorized - Zion is a much better shooter than we thought.

Personally, my pecking order of shooters is as follows, all based on historical productivity at Duke and high school reputation:
    -Cam Reddish
    -AOC
    -Jack White
    -Tre
    -RJ
    -Zion
    -Big men

I'm sure I'll be wrong somewhere.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Bolden’s stats are eye-opening, too. 74 for 80 free throws for a guy who shot 59% last year. It seems he could shoot some jumpers, too.

I haven’t seen a lot of handles from White, but he’s a very fundamentally sound defensive rebounder, and if he can be a dangerous spot-up shooter from 3, he’ll be a solid rotation player.

Have we seen stats from this drill in prior years? I wonder how many Billy King made?
    Yea, but nobody was guarding Bolden on the free throws in practice!!

Oh, wait.

Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yea, but nobody was guarding Bolden on the free throws in practice!!

Oh, wait.

Never mind.
    Might be a loooong year if we can't/don't/won't improve our FT defense.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Might be a loooong year if we can't/don't/won't improve our FT defense.
    I feel like some teams just refuse to work on their free throw defense. I don’t know if that’s on the coaches or if some players just can’t be reached.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I feel like some teams just refuse to work on their free throw defense. I don’t know if that’s on the coaches or if some players just can’t be reached.
    I've long maintained that Duke needs to play more zone in that situation.

Did they just walk up to the stripe and shoot 80 free throws in a row? Because that is a very different skill than shooting two at a time in between game action. Once you get into a rhythm then you’re just repeating the same motion. I did see in one of the DukeMBB videos that the shooting still had them shooting five or ten shots from various spots on the court, so at least they’re moving around some. But still, this type of drill is nowhere near the same as shooting one shot every few minutes.

Strongly disagree with the notion that a player should stop shooting if he misses his first couple shots, based on the notion that he is “cold.” First off, there’s no way to know that he’s cold until after the game when you look back. And secondly, there are plenty of examples of guys starting off cold and then heating up. Scheyer in the 2010 ACCT Final is a perfect example - started out 0-8 or 0-9 from three but then nailed the game winner in the final minute. If he had decided to stop shooting then he never puts that game away.
    Last edited by UrinalCake; 07-23-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...some of us wouldn't have minded seeing some earlier minutes by Jack and AOC - in case, you know, Grayson and Gary went cold in a big NCAA game...
    Still too soon, HBCK. Still too soon.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I assume these numbers represent the best these players hit on a given day moreso than the summer average? In theory, the pecking order of shooters would follow this chart, but I'm not so sure. Zion could have gotten really, really hot one day. Or maybe AOC is focusing more on strength training than getting shots up. Or it may mean - as you theorized - Zion is a much better shooter than we thought.

Personally, my pecking order of shooters is as follows, all based on historical productivity at Duke and high school reputation:
    -Cam Reddish
    -AOC
    -Jack White
    -Tre
    -RJ
    -Zion
    -Big men

I'm sure I'll be wrong somewhere.
    Zion can shoot. Many people are going to be pleasantly surprised at how good... Foul line and jumpers 2's and 3's...

“Zion train is coming our way”

— Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Zion can shoot. Many people are going to be pleasantly surprised at how good... Foul line and jumpers 2's and 3's...
    I hope so my friend. I wrote several weeks ago that it would be surprising to see Coach K coach two consecutive teams that can't consistently stretch the floor with multiple shooters. Last season was good (Duke was the #3 kenpom team and came within a rimout of the Final Four) but it was un-Duke-like in many ways in terms of style of play. I'm hoping this upcoming team will be more recognizably Duke -- multiple good shooters, versatile 6'6" - 6'9" wings, ball pressure (Tre Jones) in a man-to-man defense.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

— Bob Marley
    I must admit I have been humming this to myself quite a bit

— Pre November 6: AOC. Post November 6: Every single opponent
    Changed it for you.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I hope so my friend. I wrote several weeks ago that it would be surprising to see Coach K coach two consecutive teams that can't consistently stretch the floor with multiple shooters. Last season was good (Duke was the #3 kenpom team and came within a rimout of the Final Four) but it was un-Duke-like in many ways in terms of style of play. I'm hoping this upcoming team will be more recognizably Duke -- multiple good shooters, versatile 6'6" - 6'9" wings, ball pressure (Tre Jones) in a man-to-man defense.
    I feel like ball pressure, generating turnovers creating fast break opportunities seem to be what every Duke team wants to do in the preseason but that doesn’t necessarily translate to the post-Christmas exam period. Neither does using the team’s depth tend to last very long.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I feel like ball pressure, generating turnovers creating fast break opportunities seem to be what every Duke team wants to do in the preseason but that doesn’t necessarily translate to the post-Christmas exam period. Neither does using the team’s depth tend to last very long.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the shooters are going to come from, but anything could happen. Regarding the fast break, I think we ran that poorly last year, am desirous that Jones will be an improvement there.
    So many attributes and question marks on this team, I won't even begin to guess how it plays out. But for sure we'll play 9-10 guys, we all know that!

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    We have lots of 6'6"-6'9" guys, but I think it remains to be seen how many of them are good shooters. Barrett is known as a question mark as a shooter. Tre Jones as well. None of the guys (aside from maybe Baker, and he might redshirt) are considered knockdown shooters. There is a real possibility that this is a not very good shooting team. It's possible that several guys surprise and step up as shooters, too. But I think we should probably consider the possibility that we'll struggle with the jumpshots this year.

— Bob Marley
    Here's another:

"Now the joy of my world is in Zion"
    - Lauryn Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAY06SYDjH0