Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Jack White Can Shoot

Per the video in the Lebron Jr article on the front page (video link here).

Go to about the 3:36 mark. They have the shooting stats up on a board. Jack holds the single day record so far in FTs (40/40) 3s (124/140!) and total shooting (217/240). I'm assuming these stats are during drills in summer workouts.

The screen on the left is a bit blocked, but he seems to be shooting about 85% overall during this summer. Now these are likely during drills and unguarded, but still. Clearly he has a shooting stroke and he has good size and athleticism...could this be a case of the next Horvath-esque summer rumors or can he actually make an impact this year? He could make for a nice stretch forward this year, which is something we are lacking...

Oh my God, I saw this video and came here to post this exact same thing!

Except, I was going to put in the pie bet thread, because I made a bet on jack white’s minutes

Also, was that LeBron James Jr among those kids, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? We might be interested in his services in a few years.
    Last edited by kAzE; 07-22-2018 at 01:09 PM.

....some of us wouldn't have minded seeing some earlier minutes by Jack and AOC - in case, you know, Grayson and Gary went cold in a big NCAA game....

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Oh my God, I saw this video and came here to post this exact same thing!

Except, I was going to put in the pie bet thread, because I made a bet on jack white’s minutes

Also, was that LeBron James Jr among those kids, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? We might be interested in his services in a few years.
    So I bet a pie that Joey Baker gets more minutes than Jack this year, and Jack starts shooting 85% and 100% from the FT line. You're welcome Jack.

It's a gift.

If this shooting (and pie) pans out - great call Kaze. But it's a long season, so we'll see.

If Jack turns out to be a more athletic Steph Curry, that can only be great for this Duke team and will be worth (another) pie. So I'll pump the brakes on that and believe it when I see it. Ultimately I always want what's best for Duke.

smh
    Last edited by richardjackson199; 07-22-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    So I bet a pie that Joey Baker gets more minutes than Jack...
    I’ve been hearing that Baker is likely to redshirt. So, ummm, I’d rate you a long shot in this bet.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I’ve been hearing that Baker is likely to redshirt. So, ummm, I’d rate you a long shot in this bet.
    Well, he's half the player Zion is - well 2/3. That is darn close to a literal statement.

His skills are somewhat redundant on the roster filled with 6'7" players. A year of maturation, eating and lifting would really help him.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...some of us wouldn't have minded seeing some earlier minutes by Jack and AOC - in case, you know, Grayson and Gary went cold in a big NCAA game...
    You are assuming that if NBA-bound Grayson Allen and Gary Trent went cold in a big NCAA game that Coach K (or any coach, really) would bench them in favor of the likes of Jack White (2017-18 version, adjusted for "earlier minutes"). That assumption has little (if any) basis in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You are assuming that if NBA-bound Grayson Allen and Gary Trent went cold in a big NCAA game that Coach K (or any coach, really) would bench them in favor of the likes of Jack White (2017-18 version, adjusted for "earlier minutes"). That assumption has little (if any) basis in reality.
    Actually, that's NOT my assumption...my assumption is the opposite...which is what happened. Attitude? Reading?

You know, Grayson came in as a little used freshman in a pretty significant game against Wisconsin if I recall...

big difference in hitting threes in practice with no defense and hitting them in games.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    big difference in hitting threes in practice with no defense and hitting them in games.
    True. All judgment should be deferred until the Blue-White game.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I should probably stop making pie bets. The next time I get that urge I guess I'll just spring for an ESPN+ subscription instead.

Attitude? Reading?
    Sorry if I misunderstood you, but if the phrase "earlier minutes" has an obvious definition in the context of your sentence, then I guess it passed me by. I thought you meant "minutes earlier in the season." Did you instead mean, "minutes earlier in the game"? If so, I can't imagine how that could have cured a shooting slump by Grayson and Gary later in the game. If it's not either of those, then I have no idea what you meant, but my guess is neither would a lot of other people. Either way, the fact that the phrase had at least two possible meanings suggests that rather than a reading comprehension problem on my part, the "attitude" in question is yours.

If you’re really hurting for some summer video, here’s a clip of Jack and Cam playing HORSE, filmed by Zion. It’s mostly just them messing around. Jack has always had a pretty good looking stroke, but hitting them in games with a defender on you is of course a much different story. When he’s on the court, his role is to provide energy and hustle, not really to score, and he’s proven to be a pretty good rebounder too. Love what he brings to the team and I hope he can earn some more minutes. Last year he had a nice stretch where he exploded I think against Wake, and then he started the next game, but was eventually relegated again to mop up duty.

https://youtu.be/16U2ZzH0AOg

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    If you’re really hurting for some summer video, here’s a clip of Jack and Cam playing HORSE, filmed by Zion. It’s mostly just them messing around. Jack has always had a pretty good looking stroke, but hitting them in games with a defender on you is of course a much different story. When he’s on the court, his role is to provide energy and hustle, not really to score, and he’s proven to be a pretty good rebounder too. Love what he brings to the team and I hope he can earn some more minutes. Last year he had a nice stretch where he exploded I think against Wake, and then he started the next game, but was eventually relegated again to mop up duty.

https://youtu.be/16U2ZzH0AOg
    When will people learn to take video from their phone in landscape mode? I'm sure it's a nice fun diversion, but I can't even bear to watch the video.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

RJ's shooting stats is nearly identical to Bolden's. ��

Name FT 2s 3s
    Joey Baker 67/80 120/140 209/280
    RJ Barret 64/80 90/140 156/280
    Marques Bolden 74/80 93/140 154/280
    Javin Delaurier 55/80 48/140 132/280
    Jordan Goldwire 51/80 88/120 158/280
    Tre Jones 69/80 61/70 95/140
    Alex O'Connel 72/80 100/140 170/280
    Cam Reddish 74/80 118/140 192/280
    Jack White 77/80 118/140 233/280
    Zion Williamson ??? ??? 187/280

Zion is total is 333/500, which means that he shot 146 / 220 combined 2s and FTs.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    RJ's shooting stats is nearly identical to Bolden's. ��
    Barrett is by no means considered a great shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Name FT 2s 3s
    Joey Baker 67/80 120/140 209/280
    RJ Barret 64/80 90/140 156/280
    Marques Bolden 74/80 93/140 154/280
    Javin Delaurier 55/80 48/140 132/280
    Jordan Goldwire 51/80 88/120 158/280
    Tre Jones 69/80 61/70 95/140
    Alex O'Connel 72/80 100/140 170/280
    Cam Reddish 74/80 118/140 192/280
    Jack White 77/80 118/140 233/280
    Zion Williamson ??? ??? 187/280

Zion is total is 333/500, which means that he shot 146 / 220 combined 2s and FTs.
    Why did Tre shoot so many fewer shots than anyone else, and has Goldwire always been a poor free throw shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Sorry if I misunderstood you, but if the phrase "earlier minutes" has an obvious definition in the context of your sentence, then I guess it passed me by. I thought you meant "minutes earlier in the season." Did you instead mean, "minutes earlier in the game"? If so, I can't imagine how that could have cured a shooting slump by Grayson and Gary later in the game. If it's not either of those, then I have no idea what you meant, but my guess is neither would a lot of other people. Either way, the fact that the phrase had at least two possible meanings suggests that rather than a reading comprehension problem on my part, the "attitude" in question is yours.
    Well, you got half of it right...I did mean earlier minutes in the season, but - my assumption was that K would not do that, not that he would ever do that. Sorry if I was not clear. I'll call 'my bad' on that. We were ironically making the same point, just in totally different ways.

Here's my take on 3 point shooting, in general, not specific to Duke or to any coach or team or player:
    That it's always good to have relief pitchers so to speak to bring off the bench if the starters are having a rough go of it shooting. Shooters are by nature streaky, and if the two starters are on a cold streak, perhaps the guys off the bench are having a good day, or would have a good day. Some time a sub coming in and hitting a single 3 can settle down the whole team. You never know...

In that particular game, Grayson and Gary were a combined 21%...roughly half what we could reasonably expect. It was clear they were not confident. I think there's always the chance that a good shooter off the bench just might be hot... having a good day...we'll never know of course.

This analogy is not perfect, but Grayson versus Wisky was given the chance somewhat owing to foul trouble. He came off the bench - and as it turned out, was having a hot day, and he saved that Title game for Duke. His minutes late in the season...versus Mich State in the semis and his blow up against Wake late in the regular season...no doubt contributed to him being ready and able.

Well, you got half of it right...I did mean earlier minutes in the season, but - my assumption was that K would not do that, not that he would ever do that. Sorry if I was not clear. I'll call 'my bad' on that. We were ironically making the same point, just in totally different ways.

Here's my take on 3 point shooting, in general, not specific to Duke or to any coach or team or player:
    That it's always good to have relief pitchers so to speak to bring off the bench if the starters are having a rough go of it shooting. Shooters are by nature streaky, and if the two starters are on a cold streak, perhaps the guys off the bench are having a good day, or would have a good day. Some time a sub coming in and hitting a single 3 can settle down the whole team. You never know...

In that particular game, Grayson and Gary were a combined 21%...roughly half what we could reasonably expect. It was clear they were not confident. I think there's always the chance that a good shooter off the bench just might be hot... having a good day...we'll never know of course.

This analogy is not perfect, but Grayson versus Wisky was given the chance somewhat owing to foul trouble. He came off the bench - and as it turned out, was having a hot day, and he saved that Title game for Duke. His minutes late in the season...versus Mich State in the semis and his blow up against Wake late in the regular season...no doubt contributed to him being ready and able.
    Whiskey wins every time. No one beats Whiskey.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club