Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duke on ESPN+

Duke on ESPN+

An eight episode series on ESPN+ entitled "Earn Everything" will follow our team's development this year:

Duke basketball to appear in all-access show this fall https://es.pn/2JzFD7K

Im sure this will be fascinating to see but I cannot see getting a subscription for this. espn is straight garbage these days

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    Im sure this will be fascinating to see but I cannot see getting a subscription for this. espn is straight garbage these days
    Would the content be available on demand where we could wait for them all to be recorded, subscribe, binge watch, unsubscribe? ESPN really has gone down hill (except for that moment the other night at the ESPY's).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Would the content be available on demand where we could wait for them all to be recorded, subscribe, binge watch, unsubscribe? ESPN really has gone down hill (except for that moment the other night at the ESPY's).
    The Danica opening?

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    The Danica opening?
    OK, 2 moments :-)

ESPN+ costs $4.95 per month or $49.99 for an annual subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by unclsam1 View Post
    ESPN+ costs $4.95 per month or $49.99 for an annual subscription.
    So lunch budget for a week?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I'm wondering the same thing?

and ESPN wonders why people are cord cutting...it's not enough that you pay for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    and ESPN wonders why people are cord cutting...it's not enough that you pay for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News...
    The irony is that I've heard that ESPN charges cable companies a good bit leading to higher cable bills which in turn have people looking to cut the cord.

This is a thing that puts us in an odd spot: either pay ESPN (which we don't want to do) and see 'Earn Everything' or miss 'Earn Everything' (which we don't want to do). Either way we hit a "which we don't want to do" condition.

If ESPN+ is only a few dollars a month, I'm guessing 1 or 2 months subscription would be enough to see all 8 episodes. One other thing I noticed is that the article mentioned the 3 games in Canada will be on ESPN+. Does that mean they will not be available unless we have ESPN+?

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing?
    I don't know the answer for sure, either, but it'd be pretty sad for a paid subscription service to not archive their shows. I expect they'll be archiving the 8 Duke episodes for re-watch later. (I think Kobe Bryant and his media company produced some shows for ESPN+. If someone checks and finds that his stuff is still archived on ESPN+, then I think we're golden.)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    So lunch budget for a week?
    And I recall when the annual cost is about the same as 7 weekly food budgets for 2!

The irony is that I've heard that ESPN charges cable companies a good bit leading to higher cable bills which in turn have people looking to cut the cord.

This is a thing that puts us in an odd spot: either pay ESPN (which we don't want to do) and see 'Earn Everything' or miss 'Earn Everything' (which we don't want to do). Either way we hit a "which we don't want to do" condition.

If ESPN+ is only a few dollars a month, I'm guessing 1 or 2 months subscription would be enough to see all 8 episodes. One other thing I noticed is that the article mentioned the 3 games in Canada will be on ESPN+. Does that mean they will not be available unless we have ESPN+?
    yes, I think ESPN charges cable companies more than any other non premium (e.g. HBO) channel...for years they had humongous demand, now that's changing...I don't mind paying for their basic channels, but expecting me to cough up even more for stuff like ESPN+ is unlikely to bear fruit...

yes, I think ESPN charges cable companies more than any other non premium (e.g. HBO) channel...for years they had humongous demand, now that's changing...I don't mind paying for their basic channels, but expecting me to cough up even more for stuff like ESPN+ is unlikely to bear fruit...
    Again, this is all part of the gradual plan of shifting over to a fully cordless delivery of programming. ESPN started with WatchESPN (free with cable subscription), then they rebranded it to make it an app, now they have added a new app for "new" content (not standard ESPN content). At some point, they will consolidate all of it and move to a simplified fee structure so that everyone can access all ESPN content on a single app on all connected devices.

Cable television will continue to exist and die a slow death, but the concept will become much clearer and easier to understand when they decide the time is right. And at that time, you'll probably pay for it (not trying to be a smart aleck, but you probably will...)

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Again, this is all part of the gradual plan of shifting over to a fully cordless delivery of programming. ESPN started with WatchESPN (free with cable subscription), then they rebranded it to make it an app, now they have added a new app for "new" content (not standard ESPN content). At some point, they will consolidate all of it and move to a simplified fee structure so that everyone can access all ESPN content on a single app on all connected devices.

Cable television will continue to exist and die a slow death, but the concept will become much clearer and easier to understand when they decide the time is right. And at that time, you'll probably pay for it (not trying to be a smart aleck, but you probably will...)

- Chillin
    I don't think it's nearly that simple( "when they decide the time is right"). They get something like $7 billion/yr now from cable TV subscriptions...yes, I agree they'd like to transition that to a bunch of paying apps, but analysts seem to be justifiably skeptical as to how they can pull that off...ESPN's revenue has been steadily declining, hence the recent layoffs. They're trying like crazy to maintain their revenue stream, but it's going to be an uphill battle.

I don't think it's nearly that simple( "when they decide the time is right"). They get something like $7 billion/yr now from cable TV subscriptions...yes, I agree they'd like to transition that to a bunch of paying apps, but analysts seem to be justifiably skeptical as to how they can pull that off...ESPN's revenue has been steadily declining, hence the recent layoffs. They're trying like crazy to maintain their revenue stream, but it's going to be an uphill battle.
    Well, of course, the financial underbelly of a multi-billion-dollar enterprise owned by Disney is not nearly that simple. But the concept of what they're trying to do with their apps is that simple. The future of television (as we currently define it) requires a la carte services that will be decoupled from these mondo bundles that currently are marketed by cable companies. ESPN is trying to bridge to that decoupling event. A toe in the water if you will. Well, it's more than a toe at this point. But that's the goal.

Now, how ESPN structures their revenue streams and keep "eyeballs" engaged on their product is absolutely a complicated topic and endeavor. But that has little to do with the fact that content providers have to find a medium in which to standalone (from cable companies). At this point, apps appear to be the way. And the big boys in terms of content, of which ESPN is certainly one, will easily find subscribers via an app once their "normal" content is on there for pay (I'll be one, regardless of how much I dislike the direction of the company's content).

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Well, of course, the financial underbelly of a multi-billion-dollar enterprise owned by Disney is not nearly that simple. But the concept of what they're trying to do with their apps is that simple. The future of television (as we currently define it) requires a la carte services that will be decoupled from these mondo bundles that currently are marketed by cable companies. ESPN is trying to bridge to that decoupling event. A toe in the water if you will. Well, it's more than a toe at this point. But that's the goal.

Now, how ESPN structures their revenue streams and keep "eyeballs" engaged on their product is absolutely a complicated topic and endeavor. But that has little to do with the fact that content providers have to find a medium in which to standalone (from cable companies). At this point, apps appear to be the way. And the big boys in terms of content, of which ESPN is certainly one, will easily find subscribers via an app once their "normal" content is on there for pay (I'll be one, regardless of how much I dislike the direction of the company's content).

- Chillin
    I largely agree...but while they will find subscribers (as you say) I think it's becoming rather clear that they won't be finding nearly as many subscribers as they did before, app or no app. A lot of people aren't as interested in watching sports, period. And I question a solution whereby they want someone like me (who already pays for a bunch of their content) to pay even more via espn+.
    They're experiencing a bad trend for which they don't have a great solution.

Just wait until the same cable companies, who own 2/3 of the ISP market, start charging ESPN billions for access to their networks and customers. Talk about a paradigm shift.

"We're sorry. That content is not available on Xfinity at this time."

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Just wait until the same cable companies, who own 2/3 of the ISP market, start charging ESPN billions for access to their networks and customers. Talk about a paradigm shift.

"We're sorry. That content is not available on Xfinity at this time."
    absolutely...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    An eight episode series on ESPN+ entitled "Earn Everything" will follow our team's development this year:

Duke basketball to appear in all-access show this fall https://es.pn/2JzFD7K
    I'll watch/pay for this. I'm interested in getting a peek behind the curtain. Could be interesting.