Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Duke on ESPN+

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Are people on here really not going to pay $5 to watch the duke games in Canada? I’ll gladly fork over $5 for some summer Duke action.
    It's not really about the amount but who it's going to. I'd gladly pay $5 if it were Duke asking for it but I want to give less money to ESPN not more. I want to watch games and maybe listen to someone who can teach me something while I'm watching them. I don't care about what outfit someone is wearing, what celebrities are in the stands, or how loud guys like Stephen A Smith or Skip Bayless or whoever they're paying to yell these days can make an incoherent argument about some topic when they only hold that position because of a pro/con coin flip that took place before the show.

I feel like summer is pretty light in terms of games available to broadcast. In these summer games ESPN had a chance to make me actually tune in before college football starts. Now they want $5 for me to watch a scrimmage? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I agree, i'm not going to pay for it...I'd sooner trek to Laval to see that game...also I'm keeping in mind that often these games are crappy, not sure what I'll learn by watching them play McGill.
    I'd like ESPN to know what I'm willing to pay for espn+ (nuthin').
    I would expect to learn a decent amount because this would be the first time I've seen these guys play together (and the behind-the-scenes look at the team, while curated as -jk- notes, still will probably give me a sense of the player's personalities and certain things the coaches want to emphasize). Don't get me wrong. I'm on board with starving ESPN of money if and when possible, but I can't agree with the notion that going from essentially zero knowledge of the team to not-zero isn't significant knowledge gained.

I'll be forking over the $5. It's the fanatic in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I would expect to learn a decent amount because this would be the first time I've seen these guys play together (and the behind-the-scenes look at the team, while curated as -jk- notes, still will probably give me a sense of the player's personalities and certain things the coaches want to emphasize). Don't get me wrong. I'm on board with starving ESPN of money if and when possible, but I can't agree with the notion that going from essentially zero knowledge of the team to not-zero isn't significant knowledge gained.

I'll be forking over the $5. It's the fanatic in me.
    somehow I expect I'll find a way of watching without enriching ESPN, I acknowledge your point about wanting to see what they look like.
    Having said that, I've seen enough early exhibition games where Duke curb stomps the undermanned competition that I come away with few conclusions.
    Perhaps the Beaver guys will prove to be stout opponents...
    Last edited by budwom; 07-23-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I would expect to learn a decent amount because this would be the first time I've seen these guys play together (and the behind-the-scenes look at the team, while curated as -jk- notes, still will probably give me a sense of the player's personalities and certain things the coaches want to emphasize).
    I dunno, I remember watching those games in China where Alex Murphy looked like a starter and MP1 looked like an All-American. It will be fun to get an early look at the guys, but I refuse to fall into the trap of assigning too much significance to whatever happens.

I will watch for fun, not extrapolation.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I dunno, I remember watching those games in China where Alex Murphy looked like a starter and MP1 looked like an All-American. It will be fun to get an early look at the guys, but I refuse to fall into the trap of assigning too much significance to whatever happens.
    That's a good point. We will learn both accurate things (things that persist) and inaccurate things (things that are just small-sample flukes). But look, our previous knowledge of this team playing together is essentially zero. I can't speak for others, but *I* most certainly will be learning a decent amount from these scrimmages and 8 episodes. By the end of it, I'll even summarize what I think I have learned, and then we can look back in April to see how accurate I was. I would bet that a decent amount of my summary will still remain true.

Oh, I'll be watching for sure.

See you guys in Chat.

- Chillin

Considering I'm rewatching the Overtime interview with Cam, RJ, Tre, and Zion for the 10th time (1st world, offseason problems), I'll be paying my $5 just to see how this team's unique chemistry looks on court.

Just in case someone somehow hasn't caught this interview already, definitely worth a watch: https://youtu.be/EEf4TpLYbWA