Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

One and Done going away, what will Duke (and KY) do?

Nothing super-new here, but it looks like one-and-done will almost certainly be done by 2021.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e04f12d85230

And this next bit might deserve it's own thread, but I'll just post here anyway-
    It will be interesting to see how Duke and KY prepare for the following seasons. Will they just continue to load up on the one and done guys as much as possible, or will they try to incorporate more top 20-60ish guys over the next couple of seasons so they're not rolling out a roster full of guys who are BOTH inexperienced and not lottery-level-talent for the 21-22 season? I imagine that's especially difficult to forecast in Duke's case as there's probably a good chance K has retired by then.

We do what we’ve always done - go after the best available players that fit the Duke system as players and as students. This will include some guys that may end up being one year guys, as well as more multi year players. I imagine Kentucky will do the same, though it wouldn’t shock me if this pushes Pitino to accept an NBA position.

If you’re asking just about the 2019 and 2020 classes, we’ve identified several OAD level guys that were recruiting for 2019, but some lower level guys too. So I think we’ll see a shift which may also coincide with K’s eventual exit plan.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I imagine Kentucky will do the same, though it wouldn’t shock me if this pushes Pitino to accept an NBA position.
    Rick Pitino is more or less unemployable. You mean Calipari?

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    I imagine that's especially difficult to forecast in Duke's case as there's probably a good chance K has retired by then.
    So I think we’ll see a shift which may also coincide with K’s eventual exit plan.
    Don't want us to get sidetracked by a whole debate about K's future, but he has made it fairly clear in recent interviews that he does not have any idea when he will retire and he doubts it will be any time soon. That said, he is 71 and one has to think he has less than a decade left at Duke.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Rick Pitino is more or less unemployable. You mean Calipari?
    Wow. Apparent I had a recent frontal lobotomy that led me to believe Pitino was still their coach. Sorry for the slip up.

Wow. Apparent I had a recent frontal lobotomy that led me to believe Pitino was still their coach. Sorry for the slip up.
    Ha! Given the context, that's a pretty big lobotomy you had there!

- Chillin

K will continue to excel at recruiting until he decides to hang it up. No worries, and frankly I would applaud the death of the 1-n-done era.

I was thinking this morning about this. I think for recruiting powerhouses like Duke, recruiting the one and done era is actually easier. You go after the best guys. Period.

Recruiting in the "maybe one and done, maybe zero and done, maybe more and done" era has to be more difficult and frustrating. Sure... they did it before, but that was when just a handful of guys even considered going straight from high school to the NBA. Now, 47 guys a year will likely attempt to make the jump. Where do you focus your recruiting efforts when most or all of the good players will go zero and done or test the proverbial waters? What if we had 4 Shaun Livingston situations in one year? That would result in a late, mad scramble to field a team, with cascading effects. Yuck.

I'm very happy to see the guys who want to go pro be able to go pro. That's how it should be. But I would hate to be a recruiter in the next version of that environment.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    K will continue to excel at recruiting until he decides to hang it up. No worries, and frankly I would applaud the death of the 1-n-done era.
    Moi aussi. I've had fun watching the Irvings, Parkers, Winslows, and Duvals, but it's just sad what's happening now with 2nd round picks/undrafted players leaving after 1 year.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Nothing super-new here, but it looks like one-and-done will almost certainly be done by 2021.
    Not quite. The memo the league sent out to every NBA franchise was that the change will be made "between 2021 and 2024." It's really 2021 at the earliest. While it may very well get done in 2021, people have consistently underestimated all the logistics that have to be hammered out between owners and the NBPA before OAD can go away. (Some Duke fans were actually worried about this incoming freshman class of Barrett, Williamson, etc. and how they might go in the 2018 draft.) Every NBA team needs a G-League affiliate first, and then the owners and players have to agree on whether time spent in the G-league developing will count contractually towards moving closer to free agency or whether the owners will implement a baseball style "service time".

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Not quite. The memo the league sent out to every NBA franchise was that the change will be made "between 2021 and 2024." It's really 2021 at the earliest. While it may very well get done in 2021, people have consistently underestimated all the logistics that have to be hammered out between owners and the NBPA before OAD can go away. (Some Duke fans were actually worried about this incoming freshman class of Barrett, Williamson, etc. and how they might go in the 2018 draft.) Every NBA team needs a G-League affiliate first, and then the owners and players have to agree on whether time spent in the G-league developing will count contractually towards moving closer to free agency or whether the owners will implement a baseball style "service time".
    Callin' it: Coach K will retire sometime between 2021 and 2024.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Callin' it: Coach K will retire sometime between 2021 and 2024.

i believe that's a fair estimate. however, i'm sure he won't leave on his own accord until he feels the house is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I get why every team having a G-League affiliate would seem ideal, but I am not sure it needs to be a requirement in order to move forward with this. Why would it? Teams are still drafting the same number of players per year, so the same number of available slots should be required to accommodate them. There will be a one-year bump in candidates to make the league the year this goes into effect (when you have the last class of OAD and first group of high schoolers declaring the same year). After that things should be the same as they are now, just with a slightly different age distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Don't want us to get sidetracked by a whole debate about K's future, but he has made it fairly clear in recent interviews that he does not have any idea when he will retire and he doubts it will be any time soon. That said, he is 71 and one has to think he has less than a decade left at Duke.
    Ha, how many 81 year old NCAA coaches can you name? K's on a recruiting hot streak which helps keep him around, but I'm not sure you'll find many who expect him to be Duke's coach five years from now.
    Coaches aren't about to screw up recruitment by speaking of imminent departure.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Recruiting in the "maybe one and done, maybe zero and done, maybe more and done" era has to be more difficult and frustrating... What if we had 4 Shaun Livingston situations in one year?
    Will definitely be more difficult for the reason you stated. And moreso if the rule is adopted to allow players to test the waters and then return to school. Then imagine if they allow incoming freshmen to do this (which would make sense). Coaches wouldn’t know until after the draft what their incoming class or returning roster would be. There would be a mad scramble for grad transfers in July. And if the NCAA amends the transfer rules to allow a one time immediate eligibility without sitting out a year, then we’ll essentially have an entire recruitment cycle happening between July and August as coaches try to fill their rosters with transfer students to replace the players that left.

Just because high school kids will be able to go pro, that doesn't mean the "one and done" era is over. Something tells me that great freshmen will still declare for the NBA draft after one year. You still need pro talent to win NCAA titles.

Will definitely be more difficult for the reason you stated. And moreso if the rule is adopted to allow players to test the waters and then return to school. Then imagine if they allow incoming freshmen to do this (which would make sense). Coaches wouldn’t know until after the draft what their incoming class or returning roster would be. There would be a mad scramble for grad transfers in July. And if the NCAA amends the transfer rules to allow a one time immediate eligibility without sitting out a year, then we’ll essentially have an entire recruitment cycle happening between July and August as coaches try to fill their rosters with transfer students to replace the players that left.
    This is why I don't think allowing players who go undrafted (either out of high school or after 1+ years of college) to retain NCAA eligibility is a viable option. The draft just happens way to late to have that much up in the air for so many teams. You declare and don't pull out by whatever deadline (probably in April, May at the latest), you lose NCAA eligibility. I think that is tough, as many major decisions are, but not horribly unreasonable. A middle ground, I suppose, would be that a player who does not withdraw and then goes undrafted could retain eligibility, but would have to sit out a year like a transfer or something (that is not a solid, fully fleshed out solution, just a suggestion of the direction you would need to go to consider allowing undrafted players to return).

^ BTW, a question I’ve been meaning to ask... how was Lagerald Vick able to return to Kansas after declaring for the draft and going undrafted? I thought you were no longer allowed to do that, which was a rule that the Commission was recommending to rescind.

^ BTW, a question I’ve been meaning to ask... how was Lagerald Vick able to return to Kansas after declaring for the draft and going undrafted? I thought you were no longer allowed to do that, which was a rule that the Commission was recommending to rescind.
    He withdrew from the draft. So then it was a question of whether he'd go pro or not. But by withdrawing from the draft, he was eligible to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This is why I don't think allowing players who go undrafted (either out of high school or after 1+ years of college) to retain NCAA eligibility is a viable option. The draft just happens way to late to have that much up in the air for so many teams. You declare and don't pull out by whatever deadline (probably in April, May at the latest), you lose NCAA eligibility. I think that is tough, as many major decisions are, but not horribly unreasonable. A middle ground, I suppose, would be that a player who does not withdraw and then goes undrafted could retain eligibility, but would have to sit out a year like a transfer or something (that is not a solid, fully fleshed out solution, just a suggestion of the direction you would need to go to consider allowing undrafted players to return).
    Maybe we let everyone stay eligible and have an NCAA lottery and then a draft the week following the NBA draft. Dispense with recruiting altogether. With the first pick in the 2023 NCAA Draft, the Wofford Terriers select... Bronny James.

We have a trade to announce. The Georgia State Panthers have traded 4th pick, Buckets Williamson to the Tulane Green Wave for 7th pick, Shooter Davis, along
    with redshirt freshman quarterback, Ace Gunner, Jr.

Jay Bilas: "Ace Gunner Jr. has a 7' 2" wingspan. That's ridiculous for a quarterback."

Okay. Maybe that's a bad idea.