Premier League 2018-2019 (and other related stuff, incl. fantasy)

Perhaps it’s a little early for Americans like me to discuss, especially with the World Cup going on. But there is only a month before the season begins. So I’ll start this thread for the discussion of the upcoming season by posting a link to the DBR Fantasy League.

Here is where you register: https://fantasy.premierleague.com

Once you have created your team, use this code to join the DBR league: 271382-56027

Thanks for starting this thread and setting up the league. Every year I join a fantasy PL team, but don't stick with it. I'll do my best this season.

Wile I have been enjoying the World Cup, I'm excited for the return of the PL. Appreciate that Deadline Day is before the start of the season this year. City will rightfully be favorites again, but I wouldn't be surprised if they start slow. A decent chunk of their squad is still playing in the WC.

So, the season begins today. Last chance to sign up for fantasy. Also to get some predictions in. I think Man City still has the best team. Liverpool looks excellent on paper, and could give them a run for their money. I will list my top four as:
    1. Manchester City
    2. Liverpool
    3. Tottenham
    4. Arsenal *

* My out on a limb pick

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    So, the season begins today. Last chance to sign up for fantasy. Also to get some predictions in. I think Man City still has the best team. Liverpool looks excellent on paper, and could give them a run for their money. I will list my top four as:
    1. Manchester City
    2. Liverpool
    3. Tottenham
    4. Arsenal *

* My out on a limb pick
    I like this “out on a limb”pick. Not sure I agree, but like the confidence. COYG!

Yay, we’re back!

Newcastle-Spurs has been a tasty start here, 1-1 in the first 11’

No real shockers over the weekend. Expected Fulham to have a better display after all of the money the spent. May take a few weeks to gel.

Chelsea/Arsenal is the only match that jumps out for this weekend. Computers were unkind to Emery with these first two Arsenal matches.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    No real shockers over the weekend. Expected Fulham to have a better display after all of the money the spent. May take a few weeks to gel.

Chelsea/Arsenal is the only match that jumps out for this weekend. Computers were unkind to Emery with these first two Arsenal matches.
    Will just make us tougher (I hope). No creampuff OOC matchups at the beginning of the schedule like in CBB.

Not sure where else to put this:

Clint Dempsey announces his retirement at age 35:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

Looks like the long knives are out for Mourhinho . . .

Go ATLANTA UNITED!!!!!!!!! Woot.

College Cup was this weekend as well. Three of the final four teams were from the Big Ten (Akron the other), with Maryland taking the crown. Blech. Disappointed for my Hoosiers.

Chelsea handed City their first loss of the season. Liverpool are now the last unbeaten team and 1 point ahead of city. This weekend we get:
    City/Everton
    Arsenal/Southampton
    Spurs/Burnley
    Chelsea/Brighton
    Liverpool/United

Fixture congestion approaching.

Gunners now unbeaten in 20 matches (all comps). Into the first four for part of the weekend. Hanging in. Now need to overcome a number of injuries to the back line.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Gunners now unbeaten in 20 matches (all comps). Into the first four for part of the weekend. Hanging in. Now need to overcome a number of injuries to the back line.
    interesting to watch their games, i think they have good chances to finish in top4

The WSJ had a review today of a Netflix documentary series called "Sunderland Till I Die." It is about Sunderland's relegation in 2017, and the effect this had on the team and the community. First episode apparently airs today.

I look forward to watching it, and thought others on this thread might as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The WSJ had a review today of a Netflix documentary series called "Sunderland Till I Die." It is about Sunderland's relegation in 2017, and the effect this had on the team and the community. First episode apparently airs today.

I look forward to watching it, and thought others on this thread might as well.
    Thanks for the heads up! Enjoyed the first episode. It is going to be interesting to contrast it with the Amazon Prime series on Man City that followed their PL championship season.

Who will they appoint now? Half a season left. Imagine they may look short term and then try to find a long-term replacement in the summer.

I quite enjoy when things are not going well at United

ManU may "only" be in 6th place in the PL standings, but it was pointed out that they are closer to the bottom of the table than they are to the top. There is a fairly significant gulf between them and the top few teams. I mean ManU is just 1 win out of 11th place, which is horrifying for a team with their financial resources.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ManU may "only" be in 6th place in the PL standings, but it was pointed out that they are closer to the bottom of the table than they are to the top. There is a fairly significant gulf between them and the top few teams. I mean ManU is just 1 win out of 11th place, which is horrifying for a team with their financial resources.
    Especially problematic when the two teams up at the top are Man City and very nearby Liverpool.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EovwYn0VAr0

I love Mourinho, warts and all but have to admit sometimes I am baffled by his attitude. In this case I am afraid he had to go...

on on a lighter side for a good laugh have a listen to the attached link. Hopefully you get the funny side even if you aren’t a fan of the Smiths.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc